2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Probably because it wasn't on the megadrive version I had.
images

Classic.

Is Frisbee Golf still a thing? Saw it on World of Sport about 40 years ago.
It is still quite big in the US I believe. We also have a few frisbee golf courses here in Western Australia. But don't give Olympic organisers ideas. We have enough nonsense "sports" included already.

You're right I was thinking of badminton. I never heard of people actually playing squash now that I look it up.
Squash is a great sport and far better to watch than badminton. I'm amazed it hasn't been included before TBH. Lacrosse is also a great sport but I'm not sure if it is big enough to be included.

As for cricket, it does seem an odd local pick but things like skateboarding, break dancing, wall climbing, bmx and esports (that will inevitable be included eventually) have no place at an Olympics imo. Not valueless or devoid of entertainment but all are far too much entertainment and too little a sport for my taste. Make them their own thing for people who like that sort of thing. Isn't there an X games already?

Those California colleges can expect even more interest from foreign athletes now with LA 2028 coming up. Nothing like competing in known venues.
A bit late for that I'd say as you wouldn't want to be in your final year at Uni when the Olympics were on. And there is limited capacity to up international places in the CA higher educational system. Sports scholarships are heavily regulated by the NCAA with limits on scholarships per sport per Uni - even assuming the Unis can afford even to fund all of those allowed in the non-money sports (most things apart from Basketball and American Football).

The conservative boycott following the opening ceremony really took a toll… /s

This is interesting. You'd expect the the Olympics during late covid to get more viewership. Or perhaps during that time people were just starting to get out more after the lockdowns and did not want to watch that much tv. Or it's because all the "controversy" about Paris 24 (ceremony at al) massively increased the interest in actually watching what it was all about

This is interesting. You'd expect the the Olympics during late covid to get more viewership. Or perhaps during that time people were just starting to get out more after the lockdowns and did not want to watch that much tv. Or it's because all the "controversy" about Paris 24 (ceremony at al) massively increased the interest in actually watching what it was all about

Time differences may have played a part as well. Might be working it out wrong but for Toyko the games were in the middle the night/early hours for US viewers while with Paris the events were early morning/daytime.

2 boxing judges under investigation for corruption

Squash is a great sport and far better to watch than badminton. I'm amazed it hasn't been included before TBH. Lacrosse is also a great sport but I'm not sure if it is big enough to be included.

As for cricket, it does seem an odd local pick but things like skateboarding, break dancing, wall climbing, bmx and esports (that will inevitable be included eventually) have no place at an Olympics imo. Not valueless or devoid of entertainment but all are far too much entertainment and too little a sport for my taste. Make them their own thing for people who like that sort of thing. Isn't there an X games already?

I definitely have a different personal view here. Squash is just racquetball basically, which to me, might be a fun little exercise at the gym with your brother, but is boring as all feck to watch. Lacrosse is not a great sport to me, its an elitist activity that is (mostly) played just by the scions of wealthy/well-to-do families. Might as well have polo as an Olympic sport. Cricket, my issue is different, its played enough around the world at a competitive level that if baseball is an Olympic sport, Cricket should be too (although for both of them I also strongly oppose professional athletes participating just like with basketball and hockey) but it shouldn't be an LA local pick because its simple never played here.

And I don't think comparing X sports to esports makes sense as they are completely different since X sports require a lot of athleticism and physical activity which is very different than esports. If you're going to have esports you might as well have poker and backgammon as Olympic sports.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...dan-Chiles-Olympic-medal-fight-USA-angry.html

The fight for Jordan Chiles to keep her bronze medal took another sensational turn Wednesday night with the USA Olympic Committee (USOPC) accusing the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) of making astonishing errors in its handling of the case.

The USOPC said CAS emailed the wrong people at the American organization to update them on the steps being taken against Chiles, leaving them with minimal time to act accordingly before it was ruled that Romania's Ana Barbosu would take the USA gymnast's bronze from the floor final.

USOPC said in statement - reported by USA Today - that notices were sent to 'incorrect email addresses' and that it took three days for CAS to make contact with Chris McCleary, its general counsel, after Romania made its appeal over Chiles' score.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...dan-Chiles-Olympic-medal-fight-USA-angry.html

The fight for Jordan Chiles to keep her bronze medal took another sensational turn Wednesday night with the USA Olympic Committee (USOPC) accusing the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) of making astonishing errors in its handling of the case.

The USOPC said CAS emailed the wrong people at the American organization to update them on the steps being taken against Chiles, leaving them with minimal time to act accordingly before it was ruled that Romania's Ana Barbosu would take the USA gymnast's bronze from the floor final.

USOPC said in statement - reported by USA Today - that notices were sent to 'incorrect email addresses' and that it took three days for CAS to make contact with Chris McCleary, its general counsel, after Romania made its appeal over Chiles' score.

Just give them all a Bronze.

If the 5th gets bronze then surely 4th also deserves bronze.
Raygun needs a bronze as well.

I actually feel sorry for her. She entertained more than any of the other dancers. Including such a non-sport was idiotic in the first place of course. That said it looks like she may earn well as advertisers are looking to use her.

Last edited:
Raygun needs a bronze as well.

I actually feel sorry for her. She entertained more than any of the other dancers. Including such a non-sport was idiotic in the first place of course. That said it looks like she may earn well as advertisers are looking to use her.
Who remembers the winner of breakdance competition? Yet everyone knows the name Raygun.

How was the UK viewership?

With it mostly on Discovery+, just one HD BBC channel and filled with inane studio chatter I checked out.

In past Olympics I've always been impressed with Britain's medal haul and small population to China, US and vastly outdoing other similar European countries. 2016 had 27 golds by Britain to come second, incredible. 4th in 2020 and 3rd in 2012 with 29 golds. 2024 looks to have dropped off but still a lot of silver and bronze.

Dina Asher-Smith won the 100m at the Lausanne Diamond League tonight with a season’s best time that would have got her bronze in Paris a couple of weeks ago, and very close to silver (in her less favoured event too). It’s sad that an athlete as talented as her will probably end her career with no individual Olympic medals. She was also part of the 4X100 winning team tonight, who seem to have rediscovered their ability to hand each other the baton. Matthew Hudson-Smith won too.

How was the UK viewership?

With it mostly on Discovery+, just one HD BBC channel and filled with inane studio chatter I checked out.

In past Olympics I've always been impressed with Britain's medal haul and small population to China, US and vastly outdoing other similar European countries. 2016 had 27 golds by Britain to come second, incredible. 4th in 2020 and 3rd in 2012 with 29 golds. 2024 looks to have dropped off but still a lot of silver and bronze.

During the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, a total of 36.1 million viewers tuned into the BBC's TV coverage of the competition in the United Kingdom. Meanwhile, there were a total of 218 million streams on BBC Sport (a streaming record)

And as the Olympics closing ceremony fades into the rear view mirror the Paralympics Opening Ceremony kicks off on the Place de la Concorde and the Champs-Elysées.

Dancing underway.

Fly past looking very pretty going overhead.

Actually prefer this mellow ceremony over the naked Smurf, knight on horse, Assassin's Creed etc.. show.

Found an article on BBC News about Tracy Otto, the Paralympic archer. I didn't know this story already, but she and her boyfriend were attacked by her ex-boyfriend in 2019. The injuries that she sustained in that attack left her paralysed from the chest down and she also had to have her left eye removed. Really horrible story. She's lucky to be alive at all.

Found an article on BBC News about Tracy Otto, the Paralympic archer. I didn't know this story already, but she and her boyfriend were attacked by her ex-boyfriend in 2019. The injuries that she sustained in that attack left her paralysed from the chest down and she also had to have her left eye removed. Really horrible story. She's lucky to be alive at all.

Olympians in general have a tough journey but these guys are something else, real inspirational stuff.

I think so, yes.

Also I wondered why Channel 4 only had two streams available, then realised they have all the sport streaming live on their YouTube site, in case anyone is interested.