2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Don't want to give the NYT the traffic, who are the athletes in question?

Rain and thunder forecast for Paris tonight. No way the triathlon is going ahead tomorrow, and even Friday looks extremely unlikely.

Team GB have the Olympic champion in the BMX, who should get a medal.

Which is what I was typing, and she has just gone out in the heats.

I put it on in the background just to have seen something of the olympics, and well... this one girl for some reason jumps twice as high as the others, for reasons i guess we shouldn't ruin this thread with :rolleyes:

Watching the tables tennis and there is a pin drop whenever North Korea win a point. Quite a big Chinese fan base.

Women's street skating final was a great watch. The vibes between the contestants were great. Some good stories and some amazing talent with some of the youngest medalists. Tony Hawk in the stands as well.

Chaz just didn't seem to get going, all the others were doing flips (which I presume is the highest scoring trick??) And she didn't, she seemed quite cautious

Watching the men now, the difference in height and pace is ridiculous

Chaz just didn't seem to get going, all the others were doing flips (which I presume is the highest scoring trick??) And she didn't, she seemed quite cautious

Watching the men now, the difference in height and pace is ridiculous
The difference in men is always height and pace and strength. Some sports are different, like watching gymnastics or skating, where there's also style and finesse that matters.

In terms of venues, not sure I've seen a better Olympics. How do others think it compares? The venues for equestrian, judo and beach volleyball look amazing and then you have already iconic stadiums in the Stade De France and Roland Garros (where the boxing will also be).

Some of the tricks these guys can pull in the BMX park is insane.

Are we witnessing USA's decline or they will still come back and win it? They won the gold medal count for all the Olympics since 1992, apart from Beijing 2008, but now seem to be a bit behind the rest of the pack.

Are we witnessing USA's decline or they will still come back and win it? They won the gold medal count for all the Olympics since 1992, apart from Beijing 2008, but now seem to be a bit behind the rest of the pack.
They always make a bit of a comeback in week 2 with the athletics. They'll be 1st or second by the end of proceedings.

Gauff kicking off at the referee ….horrible

Referee should give her a warning

I was watching this and he was incredible. I have no idea about this sport and what's a good score and what is not, but 48/50 with the second guy being only 44/50 seems insane.

Yeah truly phenomenal performance and our first shooting gold for 12 years, seems to be a pattern

Richard Faulds 2000
Peter Wilson 2012
Nathan Eales 2024

Yeah truly phenomenal performance and our first shooting gold for 12 years, seems to be a pattern

Richard Faulds 2000
Peter Wilson 2012
Nathan Eales 2024
I love Olympics for the fact I have no clue about shooting pistols trap and whatever the feck, but it’s so exciting to watch it once in four years. The cyborgs with all the visual aid in pistol competition are so funny

Still have gymnastics (today), basketball, golf, track & field, & wrestling (off the top of my head) that we’ve got people/teams favored for gold in.

They're not dominating swimming because Australia and a couple otherwordly european athletes, otherwise the events that gave out medals so far aren't good for them. The fact they've been picking up medals in fencing and gymnastics(men) means they're pretty much where they're supposed to be at this point. Now there's a gold medal in women's team gymnastics which starts now.

It's likely they won't be as dominant overall though, the rest of the world is catching up

Surely we don't have a hope in this gymnastics event? Surely medals will be between USA, Japan and China?

It’s quite incredible to me how shit Iberia is at the Olympics - in the all time table (summer only) Spain is well below the likes of Cuba, Denmark, Finland or Switzerland. Portugal is worse than Ireland, Slovakia, Estonia and North Korea. I wonder who’s the biggest underperformer from the historically sports oriented nations

Oh dear, a few mistakes for the Japanese gymnast. It must be so tough to continue after an error