2024 Summer Olympics (Paris) | Paralympics

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
26 July - 11 August

vc4ucoz6rs96naqnk3jb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c2v0j0j6nqlo
A convicted rapist would not be picked for the Australian Olympics team, says chief Anna Meares after Steven van de Velde was named in the Netherlands squad for Paris 2024.

This reflects very poorly on the Dutch. How on Earth can this guy still have a career, never mind be chosen for the Olympics?!

A convicted rapist would not be picked for the Australian Olympics team, says chief Anna Meares after Steven van de Velde was named in the Netherlands squad for Paris 2024.

This reflects very poorly on the Dutch. How on Earth can this guy still have a career, never mind be chosen for the Olympics?!
Just read about it. The victim was 12.

At least he didn't do anything properly heinous, like annoy some people on a motorway for a bit.

Another reason not to pay the licence fee, alongside, Wimbledon, Golf and Cricket

Is anyone going to the Olympics? I'm going to beach volleyball ball and the venue looks amazing!

Is anyone going to the Olympics? I'm going to beach volleyball ball and the venue looks amazing!

I went the beach volleyball semi-final at London 2012 and it was quite cool.

You might get to see the convicted child rapist play. Just been reading about that too and the team's reaction to the disgust is pretty odd.

Dutch chief ‘surprised by the fuss’ over child rapist’s inclusion at Games​

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/olym...therlands-pieter-van-den-hoogenband-hg2xnzxh8

I went the beach volleyball semi-final at London 2012 and it was quite cool.

You might get to see the convicted child rapist play. Just been reading about that too and the team's reaction to the disgust is pretty odd.

Dutch chief ‘surprised by the fuss’ over child rapist’s inclusion at Games​

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/olym...therlands-pieter-van-den-hoogenband-hg2xnzxh8
Just checked and fortunately, I won't be seeing him play. It does seem an odd way to respond to the criticism. In many lines of work, having a criminal record, let alone a rape conviction will scupper your chances, but it's all fine when representing your country...

Just checked and fortunately, I won't be seeing him play. It does seem an odd way to respond to the criticism. In many lines of work, having a criminal record, let alone a rape conviction will scupper your chances, but it's all fine when representing your country...

Not just rape but child rape. It's fecking appalling that they're going to be competing.

Also what I find fecking weird is that Dujardin is out of the Olympics because of a video where she's whipping a horse (because a Dutch lawyer, yep, Dutch sent the video) but the Dutch lad who's been convicted for child rape is still going.

10,500 athletes, law of averages there’ll be a few horrible feckers amongst them.

Dujardin is rightly out and most likely career finished.

There’ll be a massive backlash if the convicted Dutch child rapist is not kicked out.

He was rehabilitated and is now a changed man. Ridiculous. She was 12 and this only happened a few years ago.

Best thing about Eurosport (through HBO Max here) is that you can change the commentary to any other language, or even better, just turn it off altogether.

This match alone has an higher attendance than the entirety of the Tokyo Games. More proof the Olympics should always be in Europe.

It's on Eurosport for me in the UK.

Why does footy on Eurosport always feel strange. There's always been something kinda off about it.

Every sport on Eurosport feels strange. It’s a weird channel. I mean, I love sports but probably watch it less than any other of my regular channels.

Last edited:

Loads of tickets being available for resale isn't necessarily a bad thing for attendance nor the Olympics as the tickets have been sold. I'd imagine that those with the tickets on resale will end up going anyway, giving them away or reselling under face value outside of the resale platform. I'm sure there will be some who will just take the hit by not going and not reselling but I think those might be few and far between.

Just a hunch but perhaps a lot of people bought tickets expecting/hoping to make a profit of resales and it's just not materialised so are trying to recoup their money back. Some of the tickets were ridiculously expensive so it's no surprise some have found them hard to shift.

It would be more interesting to see how many tickets weren't sold at all.

So a bunch of Chinese swimmers tested positive in 2021 but were “cleared” on the dubious excuse of mass contamination. Now the IOC is threatening to pull the games from Salt Lake City unless the FBI ends its investigation.

Yet to start and already in the eye of controversies!