2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

A load of Australian volleyball players have Covid now too.

Shoko Miyata, the 19-year-old captain of the Japan women’s artistic gymnastics team, has withdrawn from the squad for the Paris Games after violating the team’s code of conduct by smoking, the Japanese Gymnastics Association (JGA) said on Friday.

JGA officials said Miyata arrived in Japan on Thursday after leaving the team’s training camp in Monaco for investigation, which confirmed the violation including drinking alcohol. The women’s squad would compete with four athletes instead of five, the JGA told a media conference.

Smoking is illegal for anyone under 20 in Japan.

Last edited:
Japan: bans athlete for smoking and drinking

Netherlands: allows a convicted child rapist to compete

Andy Murray has withdrawn from the singles event.
It was relatively common knowledge that he wouldn't compete in the singles event. I was more surprised that he was even entered in the first place.

:drool:

Edit: Wait did they really replace the drool smiley with that shite emoji

Didn’t know whether it warranted a thread or if there was one, but how do people feel about the Dutch athlete who is at the games who was convicted of raping a 12 year old? He served one year of a four year sentence.

Didn’t know whether it warranted a thread or if there was one, but how do people feel about the Dutch athlete who is at the games who was convicted of raping a 12 year old? He served one year of a four year sentence.
It was discussed on the first page.

I will be at the tennis (centre court) on Saturday and Sunday. Good times.

Apparently loads of issues with transport and the Dutch team is apparently suffering from a lack of food being made available to them to the point where as a team they've decided to buy 5 microwaves and import meals from The Netherlands. That's just sheer incompetence from the IOC :lol:

It’s crazy, right? Can’t begin to imagine how physically draining it must be to play. I feel like football is missing a trick by not embracing a similar, small sided version.
Oh no doubt. Such a dead sprint style sport. I wish we had more of it here & I would encourage my middle and heavyweight wrestlers to do it in the offseason!

Footy does have stuff like Futsal but yeah, it’s definitely not been as embraced as 7s. Something in between Football and Futsal, say 7 a side on a pitch half the size, would probably be great fun.

This Olympics keep getting better and better and it has even started yet.

Apparently loads of issues with transport and the Dutch team is apparently suffering from a lack of food being made available to them to the point where as a team they've decided to buy 5 microwaves and import meals from The Netherlands. That's just sheer incompetence from the IOC :lol:
Would be funnier if it’s on purpose because of the rapist in the Dutch contingent.

I know Bev from her time in NZ, I attended a number of coaching courses here where she was one of the educators and also did some photography of the NZ womens team when she was part of the coaching setup. She is a really great person, incredibly helpful and I find it hard to believe she knew of this. She has links here too but there it is, the strangest thing to see her mixed up in.
The other really weird thing is that the NZ team currently is going through a few transition years and are not really one of the better teams at the Olympics, arguably one of the very weakest, I dont understand why they felt the need to do this when we are so much weaker a team as them.

I know Bev from her time in NZ, I attended a number of coaching courses here where she was one of the educators and also did some photography of the NZ womens team when she was part of the coaching setup. She is a really great person, incredibly helpful and I find it hard to believe she knew of this. She has links here too but there it is, the strangest thing to see her mixed up in.
The other really weird thing is that the NZ team currently is going through a few transition years and are not really one of the better teams at the Olympics, arguably one of the very weakest, I dont understand why they felt the need to do this when we are so much weaker a team as them.
I was shocked reading this especially since it was Canada. They hardly ever get mixed up in anything controversial.

On another note; the French female sprinter that’s banned from competing while wearing a hijab might now compete wearing a hat. I can’t say I understand French law but she knows it quite well I’d imagine. It sounds like an odd compromise.

Just watching Esp v Bra on German Eurosport in Crete - this sport is rough as heck! Women tackling and shoving each other to the ground - unless the first match I’ve ever seen happens to be two teams with beef