2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

Would be funnier if it’s on purpose because of the rapist in the Dutch contingent.
I can understand why people don't want him to compete because what he did is disgusting but it's up to organisations like the IOC, FIFA, etc. to make policy on stuff like this. It happened 10 years ago, he's admitted fault, expressed his regret, gone to prison, rehabilitated, been investigated by the Dutch team, etc.. but nothing's ever going to change what he did. He's forever going to carry that with him. So where do you draw the line? What's someone like him still allowed to do in his life after serving his sentence?

An Australian hockey player decided to amputate his finger instead of waiting for it to heal because amputation meant he could play at the Olympics.

It's a pretty big targeted attack by the sounds of it and is going to cause major problems for the opening ceremony

An Australian hockey player decided to amputate his finger instead of waiting for it to heal because amputation meant he could play at the Olympics.

The BBC article about it reads a bit like the Onion.

Dawson has told media the break was so bad that he passed out when he saw his finger in the changing room. He thought his Olympic dream was over.He urgently consulted with a plastic surgeon who said that even with surgery to repair the finger - and the long recovery time - it may not regain full function. But if it was amputated, he could be back playing in 10 days.

Despite being warned by his wife not to do anything "rash", Dawson says he made his "informed" decision that same afternoon.
Team captain Aran Zalewski said the decision sent ripples of shock around the squad, but ultimately, they supported Dawson.

"We didn't really know what to think, and then we heard that he went to the hospital and chopped his finger off, which was pretty interesting because I know people would give an arm and a leg and even a little bit of finger to be here sometimes,” he said at a news conference in Paris.

I can understand why people don't want him to compete because what he did is disgusting but it's up to organisations like the IOC, FIFA, etc. to make policy on stuff like this. It happened 10 years ago, he's admitted fault, expressed his regret, gone to prison, rehabilitated, been investigated by the Dutch team, etc.. but nothing's ever going to change what he did. He's forever going to carry that with him. So where do you draw the line? What's someone like him still allowed to do in his life after serving his sentence?
Dunno but probably not something where he's cheered on by an entire country. Office job.

When I first read about this I thought, if its his only shot at the Olympics, the goal of a lifetime, then fair enough, then I read he had already been 3 times, madness.

On another note; the French female sprinter that’s banned from competing while wearing a hijab might now compete wearing a hat. I can’t say I understand French law but she knows it quite well I’d imagine. It sounds like an odd compromise.
I'm not Muslim so forgive me if this is wrong, but I think the religious observance that she is meeting is covering her hair. If she can do that with a hat it might be a compromise that all parties will accept.

I'm not Muslim so forgive me if this is wrong, but I think the religious observance that she is meeting is covering her hair. If she can do that with a hat it might be a compromise that all parties will accept.
Yes. Covering your hair is the reason to protect modesty.

I wonder also if something like a durag could be used.

Geez. These 3 pages have been a grim fest. What have the Olympics become? Pierre de Coubertin and Thomas Bach must be turning in their graves.

I'm not Muslim either but I believe the neck also needs to be covered.

Geez. These 3 pages have been a grim fest. What have the Olympics become? Pierre de Coubertin and Thomas Bach must be turning in their graves.
On the other hand...

I watched some of the rugby 7s yesterday - they were fun. It's so fast it's like you're watching the game in edited highlights.

Women's football group stage started - all the games went as expected. Spain 2-1 Japan didn't look like a tight match when you were watching it - so Spain remain the team to beat. France 3-2 is a mystery to me - France were leading 3-0 at HT so I ignored the second half, then saw the result. Canada + spy drone 2-1 New Zealand
Germany 3-0 Australia
USA 3-0 Zambia.
Brazil 1-0 Nigeria

Ideally not be on the Olympic team, at a minimum.

Couldn't see after a quick browse any mention of Argentina Morocco? Why on earth are they restarting a game 2 hours later? How on earth was the offside missed initially?

Couldn't see after a quick browse any mention of Argentina Morocco? Why on earth are they restarting a game 2 hours later? How on earth was the offside missed initially?
It was the sixteenth minute of 15 minutes of added time. Fans had run on to the pitch a couple of times during the added time so apparently the ref had added an extra three minutes.

Then Argentina scored or at least people thought they had. Lots of people, including the TV commentators thought the ref blew for time immediately after - more fans run on the pitch. Meanwhile there's a VAR check going on, which disallows the goal. Lots of fans are on the pitch and the players get taken off by the ref.

Eventually the position gets clarified. The ref has suspended the match and taken the players off for safety reasons not because the match is over. The stadium gets emptied of fans and the match restarts two hours later. The ref's first action is to formally confirm the VAR decision and we're at 2-1 again. They play the last three minutes and it ends at 2-1.

I missed all this as I thought it was full-time 2-2 and switched channels. I heard the actual final score during another match a couple of hours later :lol:

Rugby 7s is really fun stuff

Rugby sevens is almost always a great watch. Shame it's never really took hold as the most popular version of the sport, like T20 did for cricket. It's just much more fun than the other codes.

Rugby sevens is almost always a great watch. Shame it's never really took hold as the most popular version of the sport, like T20 did for cricket. It's just much more fun than the other codes.
Agreed. The only thing I can figure holding 7s back is the short length of the game makes it less of a marketable spectator sport outside knockout tournaments like this

I think he reckons this is his last ever shot though. Which makes it a bit more understandable.
Also in consideration was the fact that he might not have had full use of it when it 'healed'

More importantly, how was the girl that feel from the stands?
It was the sixteenth minute of 15 minutes of added time. Fans had run on to the pitch a couple of times during the added time so apparently the ref had added an extra three minutes.

Then Argentina scored or at least people thought they had. Lots of people, including the TV commentators thought the ref blew for time immediately after - more fans run on the pitch. Meanwhile there's a VAR check going on, which disallows the goal. Lots of fans are on the pitch and the players get taken off by the ref.

Eventually the position gets clarified. The ref has suspended the match and taken the players off for safety reasons not because the match is over. The stadium gets emptied of fans and the match restarts two hours later. The ref's first action is to formally confirm the VAR decision and we're at 2-1 again. They play the last three minutes and it ends at 2-1.

I missed all this as I thought it was full-time 2-2 and switched channels. I heard the actual final score during another match a couple of hours later :lol:

Agreed. The only thing I can figure holding 7s back is the short length of the game makes it less of a marketable spectator sport outside knockout tournaments like this
This is the main reason, plus if you wanted to grow 7s as its own sport, rather than something rugby players play in the off season or spare time, then you'd need a grass roots level. And getting people to travel to games and give up half a day for such a short match would be hard work.

I've played loads of 7 tournaments and the turnout is always great, but that's the way it has to be done usually. 4 or 5 matches in a 1 day tournament.

This is the main reason, plus if you wanted to grow 7s as its own sport, rather than something rugby players play in the off season or spare time, then you'd need a grass roots level. And getting people to travel to games and give up half a day for such a short match would be hard work.

I've played loads of 7 tournaments and the turnout is always great, but that's the way it has to be done usually. 4 or 5 matches in a 1 day tournament.
Yeah, it would need its own developmental route… hence Fiji being so successful at it, as I think it’s the style they’ve really focused on. NBC did an interesting profile this morning on a French player, Antoine DuPont. He spoke about how his transition from 15s to 7s for this Olympics was actually pretty tough because of how different the game is played.

That makes sense about basing it around tournaments. It’s essentially the same as what we mostly have to do with wrestling where individual matches are done very quickly.

Yeah, it would need its own developmental route… hence Fiji being so successful at it, as I think it’s the style they’ve really focused on. NBC did an interesting profile this morning on a French player, Antoine DuPont. He spoke about how his transition from 15s to 7s for this Olympics was actually pretty tough because of how different the game is played.

That makes sense about basing it around tournaments. It’s essentially the same as what we mostly have to do with wrestling where individual matches are done very quickly.

Yeah it's almost a different sport altogether due to the requirements for being good at it, being so different to the normal game

Five minutes of watching the BBC’s coverage is enough to make me consider paying for Discovery+, if only to avoid Clare fecking Balding for the next two weeks. Jesus Christ, why do the BBC insist of inflicting these people on us, while forcing us to pay their absurd salaries.

Did I miss the ceremony? Are not the athletes supposed to enter at the end of ceremony?