2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any possibility of that becoming a reality in 2022 if the Dems can flip the senate? Do the Dems even unilaterally support making PC a full state? Someone here said there was no guarantee it would be a consistently blue state.
I'd like to believe that isn't the only consideration.

It was always bound to happen within a couple of elections anyway.
Yea, I was just pointing out that both candidate will add another 1-2m to the total before the count is finished.
Even 33% of CA's remaining 3m or so votes gets Trump close to that Obama 08 total.

One challenge with this is going to be getting past labeling countries of origin as potential subgroups within the Latino culture. We already specifically label Cubans, so wouldn’t be a new policy or phenomenon, but when these subgroups who will be labelled specifically as Honduran or specific parts of Mexico, for example, or other Caribbean countries become as defined as Cubans, when this starts to occur, democrats will be the ones labeling them. Don’t see how it could be labeled anything other than country names. There will be pushback to this & there will be resentment towards the Democratic Party due to this.

Is there another way of effectively labeling the factions within the Latino culture in America, a way that will best define them against the others?
I really have no idea how to do it, but from a broad demographics perspective, besides getting more white vote it seems like the main defection from Dem voters vs last 4 years was a bit of the hispanics. I've honestly been wondering if its just that Trump had much less anti-immigrant messaging (although on the ground he's been doing quite a bit to screw immigrants) than 2 or 4 years ago, and that people have memories that are that short.

Presumably with a Republican Senate this would now not happen?
No chance whatsoever it happens with Republican senate. Only chance it happens is if Dems win the 2 Georgia races.

A lot of people had high hopes that a lot of good things would get done in the first 2 years of a Biden term and its now all gone to waste. You would think everyone would be jumping from the rooftops with the dems winning the presidency, but everyone is just deflated because it was such a bad night in the house/senate.

A little off topic but just to continue down that rabbit hole a little further, I thought this analysis of that little swish in the bible belt they've held onto since then was very interesting.

This is mainly due to fast growing Metro areas in the south.

I live in the Raleigh area and sometimes it feels there are more people from New Hampshire than Raleigh here now. It is booming like crazy and the city/area will soon be another Atlanta.

My Grandma voted Trump in 2016 because "he's a christian". There's no science behind it, Fox and radio were her news.

The depressing thing is that she was a lovely woman that raised 7 kids and then took care of 6 of my cousins. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more different to Trump than her.
As someone who's had a close family member involved with a cult, I'd say most trump supporters share a lot of common characteristics with cult members. They are quite normal until you attack their cult leader and then all hell breaks lose.

I'd like to believe that isn't the only consideration.
For sure, but again it always comes down whether its in the senate's interest at any given time. A bit like how the UK's main two parties are reluctant to embrace proportional representation as they'd lose a fair share of seats down to proportionality. By the same token, the Dems might not be so inclined to rush to welcome Puerto Rico with open arms if it doesn't guarantee them safe EC votes every 4 years, even if it is objectively the 'right thing' to do.

A little off topic but just to continue down that rabbit hole a little further, I thought this analysis of that little swish in the bible belt they've held onto since then was very interesting. Start of the Twitter thread here:

Wow, that was brilliant.

Let's not give up on the Senate ye. If Purdue falls under 50% then both GA seats go to Jan runoff. Win them both and Senate is 50-50!
How about offering cabinet positions to GOP senators from states with DEM governors? ;)

Think that argument makes a lot of sense to me? I know of a lot of liberal religious people who fear that the progressive democrats ridicule religion way too much (whether true or not). I agree though if the alternative is voting for Trump (probably the worst practicing representative of christianity you can find) it makes no sense voting for him either.
There are too few ‘liberal religious people’ and ‘progressive Democrats’ for those arguments to make a lot of sense on a nationwide scale.

My Grandma voted Trump in 2016 because "he's a christian". There's no science behind it, Fox and radio were her news.

The depressing thing is that she was a lovely woman that raised 7 kids and then took care of 6 of my cousins. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more different to Trump than her.

My grandpa would have voted for Trump as well but he passed away in Oct 2015. My grandpa was a father to me as I never met my real dad (he was around for a bit when I was an infant). He was a good person, served as a LRRP in 'Nam but held a racist view towards Asians thanks to that war. Very giving, devout Baptist, compassionate, not a single ounce of narcissism. Trump was the antithesis of him.

My grandma did vote for him as she always votes R. She would have voted this year but passed away two weeks ago, almost five years to the date granted they had divorced like twelves years ago. I don't know if she voted early or mailed-in before her stroke. She became more bitter as she aged and got to the point that I reluctantly shut her out of my life. She held some traits like Trump, bit of a bully-streak, a defeatist attitude, prone to attack, etc. It really saddened me to see this woman I held in high regard my first 35 years or so turn out to be such a mean person.

Last edited:
Think that argument makes a lot of sense to me? I know of a lot of liberal religious people who fear that the progressive democrats ridicule religion way too much (whether true or not). I agree though if the alternative is voting for Trump (probably the worst practicing representative of christianity you can find) it makes no sense voting for him either.

The First Amendment of the US Constitution says you are not a Christian nation and in fact everyone has the right to believe what they want without persecution.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state_in_the_United_States

It is literally the stupidest argument anyone who respects the US Constitution could ever make. You all know about the second and fifth amendments but somehow the first and most important one gets forgotten.

I've tried to get answers from my aunt and a couple others. Some will say it's an abortion stance, that I get. But when it comes to garbage like "Dems hate god," "Dems took god out of school," "we're a Christian nation and no other religion should be here!" and so forth, it's clear they're just stuck in "the other" bullshit.
Yeah this just boggles the mind. I kinda get it when looking at Republican Presidents of the past but both Obama and especially Biden have more religion in their little pinky than Trump does in his considerably sized body.

I really have no idea how to do it, but from a broad demographics perspective, besides getting more white vote it seems like the main defection from Dem voters vs last 4 years was a bit of the hispanics. I've honestly been wondering if its just that Trump had much less anti-immigrant messaging (although on the ground he's been doing quite a bit to screw immigrants) than 2 or 4 years ago, and that people have memories that are that short.
Location of them inside the US also played a part.

In one of the massive apparent swings on the Texas border, something like 50 points down by Biden, is it okay to label that as potentially just a Mexican area or does it need to drilled down to from what part of Mexico or even down to the potentially significantly less populace of other non-Mexican countries? This will be interesting as a sociological experiment as well. Unprecedented in scope perhaps. Not much chance of not potentially feeling like a bug on a pin as a Latino in the coming years.

Wanna see strange? Look at 1976 Election, looks science fiction by today's normal

1976_Electoral_College_Map.png

Carter was a good ol' southern boy to be fair.

John king opens up his shift "today could he the special day where we know....."
Yeah john you said that yesterday and day before. #borefest begins.

You know he's going to mention phildelphia or atlanta every 2 mins

John king opens up his shift "today could he the special day where we know....."

You really hate him :lol: :D

The parties switched like earth's magnetic poles?
It has changed a lot in fact. Weren't the Democrats over a century back the party of the southern landowners? It's really since the 50s that you see the current divide developing, deepening, widening. And a lot of that is conscious strategy from politicians, sensing that they can lock in voting groups by taking strong stances on specific issues, that thus become divisive. Just last week I was reading that, back in the 60s (70s?), the GOP was in favour of abortion as part of their support for family planning, and supported gun restrictions. Back then, they thought of these things as general policy issues that require a rational stance; fast-forward to now, and they have been made into identity-defining issues that have to be nurtured. (Which is why stances can seem so out of touch with reality: rational discourse is not the point.) Or at least, that's my understanding of it.

Worst is when CCN says "well right now, WE DONT KNOW"

Of course you don't fecking know but can you give some analysis or predictions?

My grandpa would have voted for Trump as well but he passed away in Oct 2016. My grandpa was a father to me as I never met my real dad (he was around for a bit when I was an infant). He was a good person, served as a LRRP in 'Nam but held a racist view towards Asians thanks to that war. Very giving, devout Baptist, compassionate, not a single ounce of narcissism. Trump was the antithesis of him.

My grandma did vote for him as she always votes R. She would have voted this year but passed away two weeks ago, almost four years to the date granted they had divorced like twelves years ago. I don't know if she voted early or mailed-in before her stroke. She became more bitter as she aged and got to the point that I reluctantly shut her out of my life. She held some traits like Trump, bit of a bully-streak, a defeatist attitude, prone to attack, etc. It really saddened me to see this woman I held in high regard my first 35 years or so turn out to be she a mean person.

Condolences on your grandma.

I completely understand what you are saying here. My father is the antithesis of Trump in every way, but he is an avid Fox/Breitbart consumer and refuses to watch anything else. I think we convinced him to not vote for Trump, but there is no way he voted for Biden. Politics are a banned topic of discussion and the number of times we chat has plummeted the last 2 months. It truly has been like watching your hero be unmasked.

It has changed a lot in fact. Weren't the Democrats over a century back the party the southern landowners? It's really since the 50s that you see the current divide developing, deepening, widening. And a lot of that is conscious strategy from politicians, sensing that they can lock in voting groups by taking strong stances on specific issues, that thus become divisive. Just last week I was reading that, back in the 60s (70s?), the GOP was in favour of abortion as part of their support for family planning, and supported gun restrictions. Back then, they thought of these things as general policy issues that require a rational stance; fast-forward to now, and they have been made into identity-defining issues that have to be nurtured. (Which is why stances can seem so out of touch with reality: rational discourse is not the point.) Or at least, that's my understanding of it.
Yep. Republicans freed the slaves too.

Madness. This is what happens when the 'family' in power all get their news from random Facebook and Twitter sources and treat it like it's iron-clad. It's like if someone's boomer parents ran the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.