2018 US Elections

I just get this when clicking date:

Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

Strange, here’s a screenshot:
E7-DC8136-650-E-4541-9-E49-1-CE2-E89-F4-AA4.jpg

Strange, here’s a screenshot:
E7-DC8136-650-E-4541-9-E49-1-CE2-E89-F4-AA4.jpg
His twitter says he took it down because it was inaccurate - they've all left congress but a fair few jumped ship rather than got voted out (eg Ryan). Still good to see.

A democrat would have had to lose hundreds of thousands of votes to allow Trump to win by 3 votes.

EDIT:

Those 3 states primarily vote Democrat.
I know they have voted D in previous elections... and Hillary did even worse than that. She lost so bad he won by 10s of thousands.

He can do much worse in the popular vote and still win is my point.

Playing nice is not an option, Democrats: It never works. It’s time to stand up for something
As always, pundits call for bipartisanship. That’s always been a trap. The way forward is to stand on principle

In short, Sanders exposes how disconnected from reality the “play nice” imperative actually is. No one can seriously deploy it against him.

But Sanders is just one figure among many, like Stacey Abrams, Andrew Gillum, Beto O’Rourke, dozens of newly-elected members of Congress and hundreds of newly-elected state legislators. To fully grasp the foolishness of the “play nice” imperative, there are four points to consider:

1. The past history of how Democrats' "play nice" strategies have failed in the past.
  2. The asymmetry between Republicans' hardline ideological approach to politics and Democrat’s consensus-seeking pragmatism, and why Democrats can't keep doing that.
  3. The role of the press, punditry and political class more broadly in empowering GOP destructiveness, even as they convince themselves they're saviors of democracy.
  4. What Democrats can and should do instead of "playing nice" — pushing broadly popular proposals, and taking fearless principled stands, to define their own inclusive vision of what America can and will be.

https://www.salon.com/2018/11/18/pl...ver-works-its-time-to-stand-up-for-something/

To be honest I used to think she was oppressed and lived a miserable existence trapped in a very angry rich prison of sorts but I’ve seen enough now to know she’s a dick head herself so I have little sympathy.

https://www.elitedaily.com/news/pol...ania-trump-met-started-dating-fitting/1998686

--A friend of Melania Trump would later tell the Post,

She ran into Donald just at the right time. She was just about out of money, at the end of her rope and about to move back to Eastern Europe.--

Playing nice is not an option, Democrats: It never works. It’s time to stand up for something
As always, pundits call for bipartisanship. That’s always been a trap. The way forward is to stand on principle

https://www.salon.com/2018/11/18/pl...ver-works-its-time-to-stand-up-for-something/

Isn't the real problem here that the present day DNC is practically to the right of the political spectrum and thus beholden to corporate influence and others, and therefore it requires a heavy pull left towards the center/past center in order to become something the GOP has become?

It won't happen without actual progressive/center-left Dems influencing their colleagues and more elected officials replacing current Dems that sit center/center-right.

I know they have voted D in previous elections... and Hillary did even worse than that. She lost so bad he won by 10s of thousands.

He can do much worse in the popular vote and still win is my point.

possible. but not likely with a half decent candidate.

If we look to 2020 though, the candidate that the Dems nominate should offer voters what they need. Not half measures.
The challenge to Pelosi is tied to a refusal by the establishment to say Single Payer. Just look at Perez making a fool of himself every time he speaks.
Normally the Dems shoot themselves in the foot. This time the Republicans decided to give a huge gift. Health Care.

The so called liberal MSM are already pushing middle of the road candidates. They have already given up on Ohio. We cannot give up on groups of people.

A poor candidate will give the election to Trump.

Isn't the real problem here that the present day DNC is practically to the right of the political spectrum and thus beholden to corporate influence and others, and therefore it requires a heavy pull left towards the center/past center in order to become something the GOP has become?

It won't happen without actual progressive/center-left Dems influencing their colleagues and more elected officials replacing current Dems that sit center/center-right.

I agree. And I think others notice this which is why in one of those articles I linked there was a call to action to support progressive candidates not just for US Congress but for city council, state legislatures and all elected positions. If progressives really want to try to save the direction the US is moving, its going to take grass roots at the local level then state level and finally the national. But we can't forget the local level. I'm going to look into supporting Progressives for state legislature which is much less high profile and perhaps a bigger difference can be made.

IMO we all need to work on a progressive network across the country that can connect state legislators, city council members and others to form a cohesive network to counter what the far right has been building for a long time.

For instance, I was just looking up the background on the Directors of Communication for many of the Congress in the Medicare for All Caucus and it was surprisingly filled with Third Way and Clinton people, that is the type of thing we have to change behind the scenes. More progressives need to be empowered. I used to personally know some progressive Congressional staffers for instance but they all got out of politics whereas the more corporate/amoral Democratic staffers are still in the game.

Ocasio-Cortez asked a simple question.

What are the people standing against Pelosi For?

Because its really bad if she pushes the no tax on bottom 80% and Paygo. That basically kills Medicare for All dead in the water

Because its really bad if she pushes the no tax on bottom 80% and Paygo. That basically kills Medicare for All dead in the water

It was never happening this cycle in any case. We're probably about 4-6 years away from a serious effort imo since the Dems would not only need to control both the congress and WH, they would also need supermajorities to offset the fact that not all Dems would be on board.

She was always going to be.

There’s no way you can oust her without putting up an alternative.

Fudge was the alternative that was being talked about so that's why this ends it.

It was never happening this cycle in any case. We're probably about 4-6 years away from a serious effort imo since the Dems would not only need to control both the congress and WH, they would also need supermajorities to offset the fact that not all Dems would be on board.

I don't feel this point is relevant. Its never a good idea to adopt a tactic that you think might work short term when you know it inhibits your long term strategic goals. Its a classic mistake really and Pelosi looks like she is falling into it hook, line and sinker.

Ultimately neither the "no tax increase on bottom 80% and Paygo plan" benefits the working class, poor or middle class in any way. It offers no inherent benefit to even pushing those ideas at all. Neither of those ideas are remotely good ideas that offer inherent benefit so there is literally no logical reason to support them. And going beyond that supporting those two proposals gain Pelosi and the Democrats zero new support and in fact makes progressives suspicious of her motives and intent. So those are just ridiculously short sighted and bad tactics. If she actually supports them then she clearly lacks the strategic awareness that is needed in a Speakers. These "centrist" Democrats are all about pointless tactics that ignore long term strategy. Pelosi constantly sacrifices strategy for tactics and its why she sucks as a Congressional leader compared to Cocaine Mitch.

Last edited:
A blue dog alternative.

I have more chance of winning the lottery tomorrow than Marcia Fudge winning the Speakership in a race. It's all been a charade.

There's no point in voting for a blue dog though. Might as well just keep Pelosi if no progressive has enough support to challenge her yet. Fudge did force some concessions out of Pelosi though but it will probably take another cycle or two for the progressives to be strong enough to control the House Dems.

A blue dog alternative.

I have more chance of winning the lottery tomorrow than Marcia Fudge winning the Speakership in a race. It's all been a charade.

I'm not sure Fudge was a blue dog, her record seems ok, but the challenge was indeed coming from the right and should have been suspected for that alone.

There's no point in voting for a blue dog though. Might as well just keep Pelosi if no progressive has enough support to challenge her yet. Fudge did force some concessions out of Pelosi though but it will probably take another cycle or two for the progressives to be strong enough to control the House Dems.

Fudge was pushed by the likes of Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton, blue dogs in safe seats, is what I meant.

She never had a chance in hell of winning.

@berbatrick , I think it was pure political theatre. They never had any intention for a serious challenge, hence find someone with the street cred package - woman, minority, progressive caucus to wave a not-Pelosi-look-how-down-to-Earth-not-coastal-elite-we-are flag.

It wasn't really coming from the right though. Some of the letter signers are to the left of Pelosi and the articles I linked warning of her misguided Paygo and tax increase block were from progressives. The progressive caucus decided not to challenge her but they did force concessions at least. Jayapal won the Progressive Caucus more chairs - and a potential transition from Pelosi to a progressive in 2020.

Networks called CA21 for the GOP on election night, but the Dem candidate just cut the GOP lead to ~500 with plenty more left to count.

Networks called CA21 for the GOP on election night, but the Dem candidate just cut the GOP lead to ~500 with plenty more left to count.

I remember from the 2016 popular vote memes and turnout debates that California really takes a while to finish counting. Any reason why? It's not like they're hunting for ballots buried in the soil.

I remember from the 2016 popular vote memes and turnout debates that California really takes a while to finish counting. Any reason why? It's not like they're hunting for ballots buried in the soil.

I'm pretty sure its because some local districts allow military and overseas mail-in ballots as long they were postmarked by election day and the race is still active in case some other countries mail system is slow

Was it Mississippi Dems had to pick up if they were to have a decent chance at the Senate on 2020?

Was it Mississippi Dems had to pick up if they were to have a decent chance at the Senate on 2020?
In 2020 Democrats will have to defend Doug Jones seat in Alabama which will be tough in an election year. Delaware, Illinois, Mass, NJ, NM, Oregon and RI should be easy retained seats for them. Michigan, Minnesota, NH, and Virginia will be the other competitive seats they will have to defend.

Republicans should retain Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, SC, SD, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wyoming. They should have tough races to retain in Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, and NC. Texas as well if Beto is the candidate.

So that's a total of 11 competitive races by my count ( I actually think 10 because I don't see Doug Jones retaining his seat in a presidential election year). Safe seats sees the Dems retain 7 and Reps retain 17, that's a margin of 10 with only 10 competitive races, so I don't see a path for the Democrats to get back control of the Senate in 2020.