Youth transfers and rumours thread.

Your point is a good one and it depends how you define scouting. However, I'm not sure that missing out on John Barnes was a scouting issue. He already had over 200 first team games behind him. Everyone in the league knew how good he was and when he was available for transfer it was a managerial decision not to put in a bid. `

I would say that's down to Ferguson not the scouting system.
Well...this was the spring of 87...Ferguson had been at the club for a few months and probably didn't know Barnes particularly well. And as we all know, Ferguson was very thorough about his players. I only know what Ferguson wrote...he gave the job to a scout...he wasnt sure...United missed out and the scout was fired

I smell bs but thought I’d share it anyway. Alasdair Gold who is one of the best, if not the best Spurs journo out there has said that Moore is expected to be heavily involved in their pre-season. Which is to be expected. Not that those would exclude each other. Expecting Gold to put this to bed quite quickly.

Last edited:
Well...this was the spring of 87...Ferguson had been at the club for a few months and probably didn't know Barnes particularly well. And as we all know, Ferguson was very thorough about his players. I only know what Ferguson wrote...he gave the job to a scout...he wasnt sure...United missed out and the scout was fired

I'm not so sure about that.

John Barnes had been in the England team for the previous four years and Ferguson managed the Scotland team that played England in that summers British Championship. Ferguson would have 100% known who John barnes was.

In addition, Eric Harrison and the scouts already knew about Barnes from the 1982 Youth Cup Final when he scored an amazing goal to help Watford beat us and they were raving about him.

Like I said it depends how you define scouting and whilst he was definitely one that got away, but given he had 20o first games behind him and was an English international, I'm not sure much scouting was needed.

From Alan Nixon:

"Manchester United are trying to snatch young Australian keeper Robbie Cook from the clutches of Sunderland. Perth Glory babe Cook has been training with the Black Cats since coming from Down Under to try his luck. However United have now asked him to join them this week to join their academy."

I smell bs but thought I’d share it anyway. Alasdair Gold who is one of the best, if not the best Spurs journo out there has said that Moore is expected to be heavily involved in their pre-season. Which is to be expected. Not that those would exclude each other. Expecting Gold to put this to bed quite quickly.

Isn't he considered the best English talent for his age group?

Probably just rumours but would be very exciting if we could tempt him to make the switch.

Isn't he considered the best English talent for his age group?

Probably just rumours but would be very exciting if we could tempt him to make the switch.

As expected no credible journo has said a word about this. He’s already signed a contract that will start in August when he turns 17.

Yeah that's obviously bs. Slightly disappointed to see us not getting any of those England youth internationals moving around, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Samuel Lusale posted this yesterday and I'm fairly sure that's a Hotel Football room (they've always got those red chairs). Could be wrong but if not I would assume he's there to sign for us?

34e0e10f201436ee6c7e1dac2f43064c.png

Last edited:
Samuel Lusale posted this yesterday and I'm fairly sure that's a Hotel Football room (they've always got those red chairs). Could be wrong but if not I would assume he's there to sign for us?

Top class investigating work, mate!

Is he good?

A brief Google seems to suggest he is.

Never seen him play but his goal scoring record is ridiculous.

Else those who have seen him regularly will tell you whether its due to his physical superiority in u18 or technical.

Never seen him play but his goal scoring record is ridiculous.

Else those who have seen him regularly will tell you whether its due to his physical superiority in u18 or technical.

A Nigerian Dane, young Oshimen apparently.

Young players visit facilities all the time, would be great if he joins but would be a surprise since he's highly rated at Arsenal

Yeah, and I'd be surprised if he felt like elsewhere is a better move for his career, but if he did leave it's not like United aren't a great choice

Agreed although a bit more of the talk seems to be he's leaning more towards leaving now, signed with new agents recently too. As you say he'll no doubt be doing rounds at all the clubs here and abroad though and have the choice of pretty much anywhere he wants.

Agreed although a bit more of the talk seems to be he's leaning more towards leaving now, signed with new agents recently too. As you say he'll no doubt be doing rounds at all the clubs here and abroad though and have the choice of pretty much anywhere he wants.

I think if he wanted to sign with Arsenal, he'd have signed already.

Not saying he'll move to United ofcourse as @Drainy said this is common for unattached youth players to do.

I believe the deadline to accept/reject any scholarship offers was Monday 8th, so if he was visiting United on Tuesday it's safe to say he's gone.

Chido Obi would be a ridiculous coup, I have him in the same bracket as Greenwood.

Saw Chido Obi a few times last season. He scored through attrition and constantly getting oppertunities to shoot. Cant argue with his goalscoring record and has the physical build you'd want for a striker, not sure hes that clinical. He wasnt in the games I saw

Saw Chido Obi a few times last season. He scored through attrition and constantly getting oppertunities to shoot. Cant argue with his goalscoring record and has the physical build you'd want for a striker, not sure hes that clinical. He wasnt in the games I saw

Just another Cherno Samba?