World Class players under Alex Ferguson

Carrick 07/08 was world class. Guardiola voted him the best midfielder in the world.

Carrick was good that season but it wasn't one of his best seasons personal performance wise. He was probably better in 06/07 but definitely better multiple seasons after 2008.

2012/2013 was his best season with us. He was undeniably world class then, one of the best midfielders on the planet and an absolute joy to watch. Probably our second best player after Van Persie when we romped the league.

Carrick was good that season but it wasn't one of his best seasons personal performance wise. He was probably better in 06/07 but definitely better multiple seasons after 2008.

2012/2013 was his best season with us. He was undeniably world class then, one of the best midfielders on the planet and an absolute joy to watch. Probably our second best player after Van Persie when we romped the league.
I believe Carrick 07/08 is underrated. Our best and most important midfielder in our most successful season in the last 25 years.

I believe Carrick 07/08 is underrated. Our best and most important midfielder in our most successful season in the last 25 years.

He was good.

Scholes was our best midfielder at that time. All of them contributed and had ups and downs. Anderson, Hargreaves and Carrick were pretty level that season. It was after that that Carrick developed the confidence to fully take the reigns in the midfield and became a truly world class player.

Agree with this, Carrick was not world class in his first three or four seasons here. He had a good first season after a bit of a quiet start (also one of just three of our players that didn't get in the PFA team of the year that season which is incredible really) but was outshone by Scholes and then again in 07-08 i believe he had another slow start to that season but got better. Had a few years after that where he got a few complaints from fans and you wouldn't hear many people argue he was brilliant back then but things improved.

Agree 100% he was genuinely outstanding in 2012/13 and would say he was world class that season. Very good in LVG's first season when fit too.

Ca
He was good.

Scholes was our best midfielder at that time. All of them contributed and had ups and downs. Anderson, Hargreaves and Carrick were pretty level that season. It was after that that Carrick developed the confidence to fully take the reigns in the midfield and became a truly world class player.
Carrick was better than Scholes that season. No doubt about that.

Ca
Carrick was better than Scholes that season. No doubt about that.

I watched over half the games in person that season. I strongly disagree.

Carrick still strongly diverted to Scholes back then. If you were transformed back then and could ask most Utd fans they would say their ideal midfield was Scholes and Hargreaves with a bit of a spanner in the works of Anderson looking so promising at times.

I love Carrick and we are crying out for a player like him right now. He just didn't have his best season then.

Even the season after Fletcher was by far our best midfielder.

Agree. Tevez had his moments but for most parts was a very frustrating player to watch, similar to Berbatov or Nani.

VDS was definitely world class for us tbh.
Agree with the VDS comment. He was still world class when he came to us. I actually rate him as the best of our 'big three' modern goalkeepers.

Vidic was a great defender, I just don't put him in the world class bracket.
Simple as.

Individual

FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2009, 2011[98]
PFA Team of the Year: 2006–07 Premier League,[99] 2007–08 Premier League,[100] 2008–09 Premier League,[101] 2010–11 Premier League[102]
Premier League Player of the Season: 2008–09, 2010–11[97]
Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2011–12)[103]
Fantasy Teams of the 20 Seasons (Public choice)
Premier League Player of the Month: January 2009[97]
Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2008–09[104]
Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2008–09[104]
ESM Team of the Year: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2010–11[105]

What on earth is a world class defender then?

Agree, tail end of 10/11 and all of 11/12 and 12/13 were the best of Carrick, he was also amazing under LVG in his first season and whenever he was injured the team plummeted.

Would’ve got into any XI in the world at their best:

Scholes
Vidic
Stam
Ronaldo
Ferdinand
Evra
Rooney
Van Persie
Beckham
Schmeichel
Keane
Giggs
Ruud

Michael Carrick is a really interesting case.
He went from being underrated and overlooked by United supporters up until the 2012/2013 season, to being quite possibly the most overrated player in history by the same set of fans.

He was a very very good player at his best, great passing range, positionally exceptional, read the game great, however there are 3 things that are going against him, imo:

- His forgettable England career, which is nothing like Scholes’ case really, Paul Scholes was one of the first names on the team sheet for Hoddle, Paul Scholes was very good for England, although not as good as he was for United, for obvious reasons.
Carrick never really played well for England, but you could say the same about many others, so fair enough.

- No one outside of Manchester United supports would consider him world class, you won’t struggle to find even some hardcore Liverpool fans who will admit that Paul Scholes, Rooney, Ferdinand and the likes were world class at their best.

Its really nice that Pep said he’s great, Pep also said that Antonio Valencia was the best winger in the world prior to the CL 2011 final.
I’m sure Pep rates Carrick but I’m also sure he knows he’s not even remotely as good as his holding midfielder at the time was, or currently is.
Which is fine, both Rodri and Busquets are all time greats with Busquets being the best ever in his position.

- The biggest reason for me personally and why I actually believe Carrick would’ve been rated significantly lower if he played in today’s game:
He was poor under press, he played at a time where only the very best teams pressed, nowadays almost every team in the PL does.
Forget the Barcelona matches, I remember Poch’s Southampton coming to Old Trafford and playing us off the park with intense pressing, we managed to win that game but we were thoroughly outplayed and Carrick was poor in that match.

So in my opinion, although having played a big part in United’s success he was not a world class midfielder.
United of 06-13 wasn’t a team that needed to have the best midfield in the world to dominate the premier league, and reach 3 CL finals, we had a world class defense and world class attackers, we didn’t play good teams off the park away from home or even at home like Pep’s City and midfield oriented teams, we went to be solid and hit them on the break, and we did it exceptionally well.

So to me, he had too many flaws and several aspect of his career going against him to be in that discussion imo, the lack of physicality, lack of agility and occasional softness that cost us at times.
That doesn’t mean he wasn’t very very good, and a fantastic signing because he clearly was.

From the many ways people tend to define World Class, for me the worse it's the one that implies that apparently a certain player can be a starter on any huge team in the world. It doesn't work that way at all, because every huge club and every great formation from those, has its very own balance, approach and style.

The only fellas that can make us feel such thing are those that are so off the charts that to the very least any fan would want to give it a go no matter club, formation, or whatever, a Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Cryuff, Pele, etc...that's beyond World Class.

World Class for me should be that player from the Elite, that delivered most of his carreer time and again even with dips or some bad period in a certain club. You don't have to be perfect to be World Class, you don't have to be in your best form on every club or period to be one.

World Class it's not being perefect, or be a starter anywhere, you can be Mascherano and Pardew not seeying it West Ham and later become a force in Liverpool and later winning evrything in Barca as a CB.
You can be Scholes, being World Class because of being Elite among the Elite regarding your skils and talent and someone in Barca deciding that given the current formation you have no place because he needs more a destroyer type of fella.
You can be World Class travelling the world or just dealing with the demands of a single huge club most of times.
You can be World Class having a certain personality that does not suit to be out of your own country or a fella that thrieves on fighting everyone anywhere, but at the same time maybe not delivering when bored or whatever, or having issues out of the pitch.

World Class has more to do with assets and the intrinsec talent of a player and not few times personality to combine, than a player having great perfomances even in his whole carreer doing his task and people saying "his having a world class season"

What team in the world was Rooney not getting into between say 08-2012?
Chelsea? Not as a 9 but surely just behind Drogba or off wide?
Barcelona? Maybe, Rooney wasn’t your “typical” Barcelona player but no shot he’s not getting ahead of Pedro.
Real Madrid? He would’ve been elite in that great counter attacking Mourinho Madrid, he was better than Benzema and Higuian at the time, Benzema peaked years later.
Rooney was below Messi and Ronaldo during 2008-2012. Drogba was better.
Pedro wasn't the Barca forward, it was David Villa. He was around the same as Rooney.
Rooney was at his best after Ronaldo left - 2009-2011/12.

For those saying Carrick was world class…get real!
Yeah, I must be deluded. Dude carried defensively a 2 man midfield winning multiple PL titles and a CL in the process. I hope you know that Scholes was a forward/amc moulded into midfielder, and was 33+ years old. People underrate Carrick's defensive prowess and remember only Hollywood passing.

Individual

FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2009, 2011[98]
PFA Team of the Year: 2006–07 Premier League,[99] 2007–08 Premier League,[100] 2008–09 Premier League,[101] 2010–11 Premier League[102]
Premier League Player of the Season: 2008–09, 2010–11[97]
Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2011–12)[103]
Fantasy Teams of the 20 Seasons (Public choice)
Premier League Player of the Month: January 2009[97]
Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2008–09[104]
Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2008–09[104]
ESM Team of the Year: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2010–11[105]

What on earth is a world class defender then?
Well we can also say that Chelsea had two world class CBs around at the same time in Terry and Carvalho.
That is 4 in the Premier League alone and I cannot remember which CBs were playing for Madrid or Barca or Bayern but I reckon they would be laying claim to being pretty good as well.
How many world class CBs can you have playing around the same time?

Well we can also say that Chelsea had two world class CBs around at the same time in Terry and Carvalho.
That is 4 in the Premier League alone and I cannot remember which CBs were playing for Madrid or Barca or Bayern but I reckon they would be laying claim to being pretty good as well.

Does there have to a maximum number of world class player for a position at any given time? Football goes through periods with a wealth of great players in one position, and sometimes there is a real lack. It doesn't take away from someones level, that there are other great players in his position. And you can't tell me Vidic couldn't have slotted seamlessly into any club side around 2007-2009.

Could be 1, none or 20. Sometimes there are loads of historically brilliant centre backs, sometimes there is a lull.

Giggs
Scholes
Cantona
Keane
Rio
Beckham
Schmeichel
Ronaldo
Rooney
Irwin
Stam
Van Nistelrooy
Van Der Sar
Van Persie

Does there have to a maximum number of world class player for a position at any given time? Football goes through periods with a wealth of great players in one position, and sometimes there is a real lack. It doesn't take away from someones level, that there are other great players in his position. And you can't tell me Vidic couldn't have slotted seamlessly into any club side around 2007-2009.
Look, you could be right.
I think it also has something to do with a player being a very good component in a great side.
I really do not want to come across as that I am bashing Vidic as I am not and I am as big a fan of his as any Manchester United fan.
I just think to have the label as a world class defender there has to be a bit of finesse and polish to their game as well as the obvious attributes that a defender must have.

I think they were top class players, but I just don't know about world class. You might be right though!
I think between 06-10 only Rio, Cannavaro, and maybe Terry were better than Vidic. He was definitely world class. Evra was probably not quite as good as Ashley Cole but probably just behind him so he justifies it too.

The term 'world class' is generally open to interpretation anyway, is it in the world XI? In the top 5 in their position? top 10? We all see it differently I suppose.

Do you believe we have any world class players in the current team?

Only Bruno Fernandes for me. Even then, I'd understand the argument against him being "world class"

Yeah, I must be deluded. Dude carried defensively a 2 man midfield winning multiple PL titles and a CL in the process. I hope you know that Scholes was a forward/amc moulded into midfielder, and was 33+ years old. People underrate Carrick's defensive prowess and remember only Hollywood passing.
Carrick was a very good player, but he wasn’t world class.

Would older fans say Mark Hughes was World class? . How many of Fergusons First double team would be considered world class ?

Do you believe we have any world class players in the current team?

Only Bruno Fernandes for me. Even then, I'd understand the argument against him being "world class"
Shaw? When he's fit there's not many better left backs in the world

GK: Schmeichel, Van der Sar
DF: Stam, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra
MF: Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs
FW: Cristiano, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy

Would older fans say Mark Hughes was World class? . How many of Fergusons First double team would be considered world class ?
During the 93/94 season Schmeichel, Irwin, Ince, Giggs and Cantona were world class and would have shone in any of the great European sides of that era.

Bruce, Pallister, Kanchelskis, Sharpe, Hughes were all outstanding Premier League players but probably a step below "world class".

Roy Keane was still young but starting to show he would ultimately be world class.