Working on multiple transfers at a time

I am noticing much of this ‘oooh, we’re now a football club’ transfer hysteria appears to have worn off now.

I am noticing much of this ‘oooh, we’re now a football club’ transfer hysteria appears to have worn off now.
:lol: "best ever"
Currently have a weaker squad than last season.

Happens pretty much every year. We get one or two signings early. There's rumors more are coming soon and the deadwood is leaving. People hype themselves up that we are back and all that. And then by the time the season starts it's usually still those 2 signings and then a flurry of activity in the final week of the window.

Happens every year yet people somehow keep convincing themselves it's different from the previous years.

:lol: "best ever"
Currently have a weaker squad than last season.
How? Signed one of the best young CB in Europe (although injured) signed a ST to replace Martial. We have a fresh Mason Mount who’s gonna be like a new signing. Rashfords looked a lot better in pre season… we have a fresh coaching team. Martinez will hopefully be fit for more games this season.

How? Signed one of the best young CB in Europe (although injured) signed a ST to replace Martial. We have a fresh Mason Mount who’s gonna be like a new signing. Rashfords looked a lot better in pre season… we have a fresh coaching team. Martinez will hopefully be fit for more games this season.
Yet we are two inevitable injuries away from starting Evans, Maguire, Casemiro & Mctominay.

Isn't it pretty obvious that the next incoming transfers are lined up and awaiting the finalisation of exit deals for Wan Bissaka and McTominay?

Happens pretty much every year. We get one or two signings early. There's rumors more are coming soon and the deadwood is leaving. People hype themselves up that we are back and all that. And then by the time the season starts it's usually still those 2 signings and then a flurry of activity in the final week of the window.

Happens every year yet people somehow keep convincing themselves it's different from the previous years.

I think the new sticker on the package has influenced many. I was one of few posters who wasn’t so heavily blaming of ‘structure’ on our previous failings, largely because I didn’t really feel qualified enough to do so - but from what I’ve seen, similar activity from the new structure has yielded different reactions due to different narrative.

The difference in reaction of our pursuit to Yoro and De Jong was very noticeable, for example. For many weeks, the consensus was that we were unlikely to sign Yoro and that he ‘doesn’t want to be here’. However, posters were very supportive of us at least trying to sign a football player that we want, and trying to convince him to join. This was all dismissed as embarrassment and incompetence two years ago. We also made is it two or three bids for Branthwaite without any name calling or accusations of ‘dithering’ or what have you. We apparently had an army of ‘bankers’ running the club before, but now we have ‘football people’. You would think Berrada is a former midfielder or something, and Murtough is no less a football man than Ashworth. When it comes down to it, everything is right if you win enough football matches, and all wrong if you don’t.

This is not a slight against INEOS either, they only just got here and any material changes are likely to take time to show up.

Isn't it pretty obvious that the next incoming transfers are lined up and awaiting the finalisation of exit deals for Wan Bissaka and McTominay?
Not really as McT hasn't even got to a fee agreed nor has he agreed to go there. In addition we still have to bring in a DM without question.

We have time to do things but until deals are done, nothing is obvious with this club.

I think the new sticker on the package has influenced many. I was one of few posters who wasn’t so heavily blaming of ‘structure’ on our previous failings, largely because I didn’t really feel qualified enough to do so - but from what I’ve seen, similar activity from the new structure has yielded different reactions due to different narrative.

The difference in reaction of our pursuit to Yoro and De Jong was very noticeable, for example. For many weeks, the consensus was that we were unlikely to sign Yoro and that he ‘doesn’t want to be here’. However, posters were very supportive of us at least trying to sign a football player that we want, and trying to convince him to join. This was all dismissed as embarrassment and incompetence two years ago. We also made is it two or three bids for Branthwaite without any name calling or accusations of ‘dithering’ or what have you. We apparently had an army of ‘bankers’ running the club before, but now we have ‘football people’. You would think Berrada is a former midfielder or something, and Murtough is no less a football man than Ashworth. When it comes down to it, everything is right if you win enough football matches, and all wrong if you don’t.

This is not a slight against INEOS either, they only just got here and any material changes are likely to take time to show up.
I agree with pretty much all of what you say. I felt that the likes of Murtough/Arnold etc were perhaps made scapegoats. Everyone on here celebrated the signings of Antony, Casemiro etc at the time and now we blame them for making those signings. People blame them for giving such players obscene contracts, but given we have largely been a EL level club the past decade, how do you convince players to choose us over other clubs if not paying them more? Btw I know this doesn't apply to all signings but for a fair number it was the case.

Ineos are just in, and we won't see their influence on our transfer activity until next year at the earliest, likely longer.

Yet we are two inevitable injuries away from starting Evans, Maguire, Casemiro & Mctominay.
That’s down to depth. You can only do so much in one window. ETH keeps going on about depth but he’ll know himself that the priority should be the starting 11 first and then depth. When everyone’s fit we’ve got an half decent 11.

So we're almost certainly going to start the season with just Zirkzee available, probably from the bench because he's not fit. And no one else.

And no deadwood has been sold.

It's the same every summer isn't it?

To be honest, most clubs have the same issues we do that it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get anything done. But it hurts more for United because we're always in such a state over the last 11 years that we can't afford to hinder ourselves. We're never entering the transfer window from a position of strength where we can afford to be patient, our team is always looking like trash on paper and our chances of top 4 hang in the balance of having a good window, and having a good start to the season.

Signing 3 important players on the 31st August could already have cost us 9 points before they actually get to play a game.