Music Where has all the music gone?

No, it's awesome. What's my standard phrase? "There's never been more music, a greater variety of music or easier to find music," or something like that. You'll probably agree with that, but I won't bother trying to convince you there's also more great music today, since our tastes seem to be completely out of sync (based on the bands you like, not the ones you hate).

Totally agree, people saying "there's no good music" are just not looking, the last decade has produced scores of amazing bands and hundreds of amazing albums, and it's not hard to find it.

What the OP is basically saying is that your musical taste froze in the mid-90s, and "it were all better in my day".

Bollocks

Totally agree, people saying "there's no good music" are just not looking, the last decade has produced scores of amazing bands and hundreds of amazing albums, and it's not hard to find it.

What the OP is basically saying is that your musical taste froze in the mid-90s, and "it were all better in my day".

Bollocks
I suppose you're another whos gonna tell me The White Stripes and The Strokes are better than Oasis, The Verve etc.

fecking hell. Threads like this are ridiculous. The music you listen to when you're growing up, always is the music you consider the best. Listening to it reminds you of when you were young and it will always hold a nostalgic place. As soon as you reach your 30's, where life isn't so exciting, the music you listen to then means feck all to you. Its just bollocks, background shit. If this is the case you're out of touch and it is likely that in the first place you didn't really listen to the music for the music itself. It was just something you associated with a time or a place in your life.

There's plenty of decent music out there. Of course whether you like it or not is a different matter, because of course it is subjective. For me Brand New are a band worth having a look at. You haven't really dug deep into the music industry and have formed your opinion on what is in the charts, which isn't a good idea as the stuff in there is bought by kids and people who generally have no appreciation for music, more just enjoy having some sort of background noise to pass the day to.

Aye, we get it. You spent a sizeable portion of your life living in the north of England. Sometimes you bought LPs. They sounded good. And now you hear songs on commercial radio, and they sound gash. Whoopdee fecking do.

It's not hard to prove one era was better than the other if you take collate all the worst stuff from one and compare it with the best from another one is it now? It’s the same with footie.

"I remember as a lad growing up in North Manchester how much better football was in the 90s. We used to watch the games at the old Tosspot Arms on Wankington Street, you know the one, it was across the road from the Tesco's near the Rimjob Rovers ground. Me and my mates used to drop turds behind the old scoreboard and then throw them at people, or leave them in letter-boxes. Cause we were proper lads, YEAH!
Anyway, we’d sit at the old Tosspot most Saturdays, having dinner in the afternoon and rolling our Rs and saying ‘Ee arr!’ and ‘feck’ a lot. Except we said ‘feck’ so it rhymed with ‘cook’ cause that’s just how we rolled.

And we watched footie and drank pints. Yeah that’s right, PINTS. None of this vodka redbull shite that soft southern student wankers with double-barrel surnames drink in their gay student Union bars with their legs crossed like benders and three fingers on the glass with their pinkies pointing towards the sky. Pints of LAGER. Cause we were Northern lads, and we drank pints of lager and we watched footie at the old Tosspot. Except it was kind of hard to see the tele through our dense Liam Gallagheresque mop tops so we’d have to squint most of the time just to see who had the ball. It was proper fecking graft.

But seriously, footie is shit these days. There’s a lot of footie out but teens of today are encumbered with a lack of quality players in my opinion. Honestly, what have they got? Kevin Kilbane pinging crosses into row Z, what the feck is all that about? Titus Bramble, Emile Heskey and knobhead Diaby?

Subjectively now, I have downloaded old matches that I was proper into as a teen in North Manchester in the mid-Nineties. Roy Keane is there, and there was Ryan Giggs (whose dribbling is still magnificent a decade on), then was a fella called Lee Sharpe who I really liked back then, and Eric Cantona.

Older lads like Wibble and Weaste and MJS can tell you in the early Eighties, they were in the stands in flat caps and Stone Island denim, their arseholes dilating on poppers as they gently bummed each other in front of Mcgrath, Robson and Whiteside.

What have young muppets like Elvis and Boothy got to watch, Tony fecking Hibbert?

Ah, I miss watching footie at the old Tosspot. Sadly, years later I realized I was a raging cock-obsessed bender so I slung me hook and caught the next flight to Sydney where I post shite on Redcafe in between dressing up like Priscilla Queen of the Desert at every Mardi Gras. “

:lol: Classic post

fecking hell. Threads like this are ridiculous. The music you listen to when you're growing up, always is the music you consider the best. Listening to it reminds you of when you were young and it will always hold a nostalgic place. As soon as you reach your 30's, where life isn't so exciting, the music you listen to then means feck all to you. Its just bollocks, background shit. If this is the case you're out of touch and it is likely that in the first place you didn't really listen to the music for the music itself. It was just something you associated with a time or a place in your life.

There's plenty of decent music out there. Of course whether you like it or not is a different matter, because of course it is subjective. For me Brand New are a band worth having a look at. You haven't really dug deep into the music industry and have formed your opinion on what is in the charts, which isn't a good idea as the stuff in there is bought by kids and people who generally have no appreciation for music, more just enjoy having some sort of background noise to past the day to.
Nah...

Sorry did i not talk enough about Oasis to hold your attention throughout or prompt a level of response better than 'nah'? Come on Johnno, thats a Boothy word.

Aye, we get it. You spent a sizeable portion of your life living in the north of England. Sometimes you bought LPs. They sounded good. And now you hear songs on commercial radio, and they sound gash. Whoopdee fecking do.

It's not hard to prove one era was better than the other if you take collate all the worst stuff from one and compare it with the best from another one is it now? It’s the same with footie.

"I remember as a lad growing up in North Manchester how much better football was in the 90s. We used to watch the games at the old Tosspot Arms on Wankington Street, you know the one, it was across the road from the Tesco's near the Rimjob Rovers ground. Me and my mates used to drop turds behind the old scoreboard and then throw them at people, or leave them in letter-boxes. Cause we were proper lads, YEAH!
Anyway, we’d sit at the old Tosspot most Saturdays, having dinner in the afternoon and rolling our Rs and saying ‘Ee arr!’ and ‘feck’ a lot. Except we said ‘feck’ so it rhymed with ‘cook’ cause that’s just how we rolled.

And we watched footie and drank pints. Yeah that’s right, PINTS. None of this vodka redbull shite that soft southern student wankers with double-barrel surnames drink in their gay student Union bars with their legs crossed like benders and three fingers on the glass with their pinkies pointing towards the sky. Pints of LAGER. Cause we were Northern lads, and we drank pints of lager and we watched footie at the old Tosspot. Except it was kind of hard to see the tele through our dense Liam Gallagheresque mop tops so we’d have to squint most of the time just to see who had the ball. It was proper fecking graft.

But seriously, footie is shit these days. There’s a lot of footie out but teens of today are encumbered with a lack of quality players in my opinion. Honestly, what have they got? Kevin Kilbane pinging crosses into row Z, what the feck is all that about? Titus Bramble, Emile Heskey and knobhead Diaby?

Subjectively now, I have downloaded old matches that I was proper into as a teen in North Manchester in the mid-Nineties. Roy Keane is there, and there was Ryan Giggs (whose dribbling is still magnificent a decade on), then was a fella called Lee Sharpe who I really liked back then, and Eric Cantona.

Older lads like Wibble and Weaste and MJS can tell you in the early Eighties, they were in the stands in flat caps and Stone Island denim, their arseholes dilating on poppers as they gently bummed each other in front of Mcgrath, Robson and Whiteside.

What have young muppets like Elvis and Boothy got to watch, Tony fecking Hibbert?

Ah, I miss watching footie at the old Tosspot. Sadly, years later I realized I was a raging cock-obsessed bender so I slung me hook and caught the next flight to Sydney where I post shite on Redcafe in between dressing up like Priscilla Queen of the Desert at every Mardi Gras. “

:lol:

I suppose you're another whos gonna tell me The White Stripes and The Strokes are better than Oasis, The Verve etc.

So to summarise, you think Oasis and The Verve are the pinnacle of musical acheivement in the history of mankind and everything that came after that is shite

I tried to point you in the right direction to some great new music but seems you are stuck in a 90s Madchester timewarp with no desire to get out !

... snide bands like that, us lads were all into Oasis, the Roses, Charlatans, Verve etc and had the haircuts, clobber and swagger to prove it and I don't think personally, aside from a mini-Goth fad threatening in early 2000s that anything has matched that since.

Despite the fact that, back then, I did like Oasis more than those darstadly snide bands you mention, the fact remains that 10 years on:

Damon Albarn formed an original alternative hip hop/dance/Alt collective and wrote an Opera

Oasis......are still writing the same song

Go Oasis!!!!

:lol: The swagger to prove it....:lol:

The more underground the music is, the better the quality is.It's been like 2-3 years that I've stopped listening to anything mainstream as indeed it was pure shit (most of it).I've been discovering so many great french or not hip hop groups and I'm amazed to hear how one side works so much to build their tunes/lyrics and the other just sticks with "formats" and concepts that are sure to people the majority of people.
It makes me wanna throw up when I think of it

or the fecking Ting Tings, or Keane or, for feck sake, MGMT as some other muppet mentioned

Throwing MGMT in with the likes of Keane you mentallist.

And when was the last great Oasis album ffs? Limited band who can write catchy tunes with sing-a-long choruses

Johnno said:
Oh for feck, and whats your cup of char then Johnny Bag?
I keep noticing I'm getting shot down but no-one will give me their preferential tuneage...

I've given you 30 albums on the previous page, youtube some of the tracks.

And if you can't find one you like we'll know for sure that the music's fine and that it's just you that's the problem.

Actually we already know that, but we're humouring you anyway. ;)

Bollocks

Personally I don't think there has been a lot of good music since the late 60s-early 80s, that era absolutely blows all others away. AND its not my era really, most of it was before my time. But go and listen to stuff by Bowie, The Who, Stones, Supertramp, Genesis (early), Zeppelin, and then come back and try and tell us the 1900-00s can compare.

There is a reason we don't really have any global super-groups these days: quite frankly none of them are that great. In this age of global media and the Internet there is barely a band that sell consistently across the globe. Sure there are lots of local bands that make good music but there isn't much great music out there.

Maybe there's less money to invest in finding and promoting new bands, because the record companies are skint thanks to illegal downloading?

At the end of the day, less money is going to mean less investment in developing new acts.

Classic post by Melbourne Red :lol:

Although Footie is clearly better in the UK these days. ;) The golden era of winning feck all but have a good punch up pre/post/during the game were memorable but the product on the pitch was well average.

I'm a bit of a lazy bugger nowadays, and i don't go looking for music as i did. But still when listening to the radio when i was a kid there was lots of different music on that appealed to all.

Now i turn the radio on and all i get is R'n'B (which seems to have deviated horribly from the original meaning).

The music channels aren't much better, all bar Scuzz and Kerrang play your generic dance or R'n'B stuff. And then Kerrang spend most of the time playing songs from 10 years ago (that i have no problem with) mixed with songs by lead singers that wear a huge amount of make up and sing songs about cutting themselves. Nice.

I have no doubt that there is a lot of good music out there, but it seems good music and public acclaim don't go hand in hand anymore.

I'm a bit of a lazy bugger nowadays, and i don't go looking for music as i did. But still when listening to the radio when i was a kid there was lots of different music on that appealed to all.

Its not that hard to find anything these days. Just ask people on the Cafe for recommendations, then take the list to a file share site. You can find and download stuff in no time, especially with good bandwidth.

I would recommend false account information and a proxy address for the file share site.

:lol::lol:

:eek::lol:

When someone holds up Oasis as an example of a good band you pretty much know that they don't actually like music.

I would say Oasis are an anomaly in that they are one of a few mainstream band who are actually quite good.

I would say Oasis are an anomaly in that they are one of a few mainstream band who are actually quite good.

Oasis: Lyrics that anyone could have written, nothing profound or interesting to say, musical cliche after musical cliche, very limited skill on their instruments, poor vocal ability (especially live) and no desire to innovate, only to become a pastiche of old bands and then of themselves. Their one saving grace is that Noel can write some catchy vocal melodies which gives them their mass 'anthemic' appeal. It's soulless, false and emotionless music.

It's the classic case of style over substance, as someone said earlier in the thread, their 'swagger'. It's simply lowest-common-denominator music, something that the masses feel they can identify with.

I cringe whenever I think that nowadays' most representative artists are the likes of 50 cent, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Pussycat dolls, pure rubbish :annoyed:

My favourite Oasis song is the Importance of Being Idol, don't know why it just is.

And to claim that someone who likes Oasis doesn't like music is very "up your own arse-ist". People like different music, just like people like different foods. I'm not fond of salmon, doesn't mean it isn't fantastic to someone else.

I like a wide range of music, but sadly a large gaping hole of that range is the generic R'n'B nonsense that is on the radio nearly non stop at the moment.

On a completely different note, what ever happened to (or you could say who killed) the Zutons? A good band in my opinion.

Ha, I just ripped my record collection to iTunes, which enables me to do this (because I've gone to the extremely anal step of entering the correct year for every single album):

00s: 14,2 days
90s: 8,7 days
70s: 2,5 days
80s: 1,9 days
60s: 1,9 days
50s: 4,4 hrs
30s: 3,0 hrs
20s: 2,1 hrs
40s: 1,2 hrs

Indisputable proof that we live in a golden age of music.

How do I find that out in iTunes?

Oasis: Lyrics that anyone could have written, nothing profound or interesting to say, musical cliche after musical cliche, very limited skill on their instruments, poor vocal ability (especially live) and no desire to innovate, only to become a pastiche of old bands and then of themselves. Their one saving grace is that Noel can write some catchy vocal melodies which gives them their mass 'anthemic' appeal. It's soulless, false and emotionless music.

It's the classic case of style over substance, as someone said earlier in the thread, their 'swagger'. It's simply lowest-common-denominator music, something that the masses feel they can identify with.

I do agree with most of that but I will also say that I think 'Definitely Maybe' is one of the greatest debut albums I have ever heard - coming from Manchester and seeing them go from local venues to global stars was pretty special at the time.

And to claim that someone who likes Oasis doesn't like music is very "up your own arse-ist". People like different music, just like people like different foods. I'm not fond of salmon, doesn't mean it isn't fantastic to someone else.

If someone says their favourite food is McDonalds then call me 'up my own arse-ist' but I'm going to say they don't like food.

Most of that is fairly true, although your musical snobbery towards the unwashed masses gave it a bit of a Jack Black from High Fidelity meets Marie Antoinette vibe.

Oasis lyrics really are gash. Just about all the songs off the first two albums were shallow celebrations of youth, being carefree, staying young and similar cliches, with a dressing of nebuluous phrases like 'fly away' to give the songs a pseudo-poetic quality.

That said, they wrote some belting tunes and I could happily spend an afternoon listening to a compilation of their 20 or so best songs.

However, it's fairly obvious to say that if they didn't carry on like such cnuts, and if their die-hard fans didn't continue to perpetuate the myth that was peddled early on by the musical press about their credentials as the heirs to the Beatles, there would be nothing about them that would provoke such strong debate.

Limited band who wrote highly listenable but ultimately disposable pop-rock.