What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Woziak

The ever revolving scenario probably sees us wanting at least 4/5 players but probably bringing in 6/7 after player sales;

let’s assume the club gets lucky for once on player sales and raises £150m from selling - Greenwood, Sancho, Hanibal, F Pellistri, Casemiro, C Eriksen, V Lindelof, DVB, A Fernandez(We should keep)

The squad Will need the following ;
Goalkeepers; (A Onana, A Bayinder,
T Heaton)
Defenders;
AWB, D Dalot, H Maguire, J Todibo/40m, L Martinez,
J Branthwaite/65m, L Shaw, T Mallacia, M Guiterez/25m

Midfielders;
S Mctominay, M Mount, K Mainoo, R Barkley/Free, J Kimmich or A Onana/50m, L Guilherme/15m/ Bruno

Attackers; M Rashford, R Hojlund, A Dialo, Antony, A Garnaucho, M Olise/55m,
I Toney/70m

This squad still doesn’t challenge but it should safely be in the top 3/4 every season the total cost could be as high as £325m or £175m net. And yet still nothing about any of these en vogue players really gets you excited ?

aeh1991

The ever revolving scenario probably sees us wanting at least 4/5 players but probably bringing in 6/7 after player sales;

let’s assume the club gets lucky for once on player sales and raises £150m from selling - Greenwood, Sancho, Hanibal, F Pellistri, Casemiro, C Eriksen, V Lindelof, DVB, A Fernandez(We should keep)

The squad Will need the following ;
Goalkeepers; (A Onana, A Bayinder,
T Heaton)
Defenders;
AWB, D Dalot, H Maguire, J Todibo/40m, L Martinez,
J Branthwaite/65m, L Shaw, T Mallacia, M Guiterez/25m

Midfielders;
S Mctominay, M Mount, K Mainoo, R Barkley/Free, J Kimmich or A Onana/50m, L Guilherme/15m/ Bruno

Attackers; M Rashford, R Hojlund, A Dialo, Antony, A Garnaucho, M Olise/55m,
I Toney/70m

This squad still doesn’t challenge but it should safely be in the top 3/4 every season the total cost could be as high as £325m or £175m net. And yet still nothing about any of these en vogue players really gets you excited ?
We don't need Olise (too injury prone) and Toney wouldn't come to play backup for Hojlund (and would be more expensive). I'd have more or less the same squad, but I'd sign Guido Rodriguez on a free, instead of Barkley (one more DM, instead of another CM). I wouldn't sign Kimmich, who is a bad DM, maybe Koopmeiners could be a better investition instead. In the attack I'd try to find someone who could play CF but also on the wings. Or someone like Zirkzee who would complement Hojlund when we play two strikers.

Woziak

We don't need Olise (too injury prone) and Toney wouldn't come to play backup for Hojlund (and would be more expensive). I'd have more or less the same squad, but I'd sign Guido Rodriguez on a free, instead of Barkley (one more DM, instead of another CM). I wouldn't sign Kimmich, who is a bad DM, maybe Koopmeiners could be a better investition instead. In the attack I'd try to find someone who could play CF but also on the wings. Or someone like Zirkzee who would complement Hojlund when we play two strikers.
Definitely prefer onana from Everton as DM young, PL proven, mobile 6’5 and could be the perfect minder for Kobie for next 6/7 years, I would prefer Benjamin Sesco over Joshua Zirkzee as he’s off to Juventus and Ivan Toney is not my choice but I genuinely believe Ineos want him or Osimhen as a statement signing. We could be all wrong and Ineos are all over Rabiot who would be available on a free again this summer?

My point is that it’s a constant revolving door, and nothing really excites me more right now than Hojlund, Garnaucho and Kobie plus I want to See more of Amad/ less of Antony and next season I want to see Shea Lacey and Jack Fletcher get a chance too?

croadyman

Definitely prefer onana from Everton as DM young, PL proven, mobile 6’5 and could be the perfect minder for Kobie for next 6/7 years, I would prefer Benjamin Sesco over Joshua Zirkzee as he’s off to Juventus and Ivan Toney is not my choice but I genuinely believe Ineos want him or Osimhen as a statement signing. We could be all wrong and Ineos are all over Rabiot who would be available on a free again this summer?

My point is that it’s a constant revolving door, and nothing really excites me more right now than Hojlund, Garnaucho and Kobie plus I want to See more of Amad/ less of Antony and next season I want to see Shea Lacey and Jack Fletcher get a chance too?
Personally I hope that INEOS do want Toney,however gut feeling is he will stay in London whether that's Arsenal or Chelsea. There is also that statement from Ratcliffe about not wanting to spend big on a player. Ideally we need to bring in this summer

RCB (Rapha leaves)
LB
CDM (Casemiro leaves)
CM
Backup ST

Also worry about having no backup for Martinez and lack of winger who can beat a player but can't sign 7 in one window

cpresc

Would love to see a solid partner for Licha who is consistently available. Just thinking of the perfect type of partner, and as much as a I hate to say it, John Terry would be great. Who's the closest player to JT today?

cpresc

P1. Build a team around Garnacho and he's best on the left so I'd sell Rashford.

P2. Build a spine around Mainoo and Hojlund. Mainoo is wasted as a 6 long term, so I'd keep Casemiro, sign another 6 and sign Fergusson as a rotational striker for Hojlund

P3. Develop a core of young talented players, preferably English. All out for Cole Palmer with £90m bid.

P4. Improve culture by getting shot of big earners who deliver little

Big sales £240m
- £90m Rashford
- £70m Sancho + Greenwood
- £40m Maguire
- £40m Antony

Big Buys £290m
- £80m Fergusson
- £90m Palmer
- £40m Haidara or Fofana
- £80m Silva

--------------------- Hojlund / Fergusson ---------------------
Garnacho -------------------------------------------------- Palmer / Amad
------------------------- Bruno / Mount----------------------------------
--------- Mainoo / McT -------- Case / Fofana ----------

Shaw ---------- Licha --------------- Silva ----------------- Dalot

Reactions: BenitoSTARR

Woziak

Would love to see a solid partner for Licha who is consistently available. Just thinking of the perfect type of partner, and as much as a I hate to say it, John Terry would be great. Who's the closest player to JT today?
Jared Branthwaite has very similar qualities to John Terry but has more pace than Terry did, that’s why everyone wants to sign him, Madrid being interested is a problem.

Woziak

P1. Build a team around Garnacho and he's best on the left so I'd sell Rashford.

P2. Build a spine around Mainoo and Hojlund. Mainoo is wasted as a 6 long term, so I'd keep Casemiro, sign another 6 and sign Fergusson as a rotational striker for Hojlund

P3. Develop a core of young talented players, preferably English. All out for Cole Palmer with £90m bid.

Big sales £240m
- £90m Rashford
- £40m Maguire
- £40m Antony

Big Buys £290m
- £80m Fergusson
- £90m Palmer
- £40m Haidara or Fofana
- £80m Silva

Someone living in Fantasy Land?
United will not sell Rashford,
older fans may be upset with his form but the kids idolise him, not happening plus by the end of the season his numbers will look far better now he knows he needs to produce just to make the England squad for the Euros

cpresc

Someone living in Fantasy Land?
United will not sell Rashford,
older fans may be upset with his form but the kids idolise him, not happening plus by the end of the season his numbers will look far better now he knows he needs to produce just to make the England squad for the Euros
United have sold Beckham, Ronaldo, Stam, Ince and many more... they'd sell Rashford if they thought it made sense.

The Irish Connection

It’s a pity we can’t get Ashworth working straight away.
Would be nice to see a signing or two sorted early i.e. May
Still could happen of course.

greater wall

That would be Maguire.

davidmichael

I think Adarabioyo on a free, Branthwaite, Gutierrez, Varela, a right winger and a back up striker is a very realistic summer money wise especially if we move Maguire, Lindelof, VDB, Greenwood and Sancho on for money and Evans, Eriksen and Martial on frees/retirement.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Big sales £240m
- £90m Rashford
- £40m Maguire
- £40m Antony

Big Buys £290m
- £80m Fergusson
- £90m Palmer
- £40m Haidara or Fofana
- £80m Silva

Is that Fergusson, the Ferguson at Brighton?

£80m for him?

Woziak

United have sold Beckham, Ronaldo, Stam, Ince and many more... they'd sell Rashford if they thought it made sense.
Yep Fergie would have sold him because he didn’t care about who bought shirts but this will be where the Glazers still dig in on ther power base, sells more shirts than most so he’ll stay plus you can’t lose Greenwood, Sancho, Antony, Pellistri and Rashford all in one window if we move three of those we’ve done extremely well?

gajender

Yep Fergie would have sold him because he didn’t care about who bought shirts but this will be where the Glazers still dig in on ther power base, sells more shirts than most so he’ll stay plus you can’t lose Greenwood, Sancho, Antony, Pellistri and Rashford all in one window if we move three of those we’ve done extremely well?
This notion that United needs Rashford to sell shirts is such a nothing burger , United might see slight drop initially in Shirt sale numbers and even that's not given but over the long run it would hardly make any difference .

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We need a good summer. I’m not keen on summer windows when there’s an international tournament. If your targets perform well the price rockets up. Also takes a while to get them signed on and allows other teams to intervene.

cpresc

Jim is in control of football matters so unless Glazers want Sancho etc working as till assistants then they’re as good as gone.

The glazers also sanctioned CR7’s contract so perhaps not as influenced by commercial as you think?

jesperjaap

Attackign Right Back
Right Sided Centre Back
Centre BACK
Left Back
Defensive Midfielder
Defensive Midfielder
Midfielder
Right WInger
Striker

Have listed so may as I think we should be offloading 12-15players. The bolded ones are for me the biggest priorities considering what is left in our squad with outgoings and there are quite a few young playes with big reputations and price tags too for those positions who could be massive progressive signings for us in the long term.

There aer a lot of unknown names to most of us being mentioned for a lot of the other positions from places like South America, so I feel especially with the backroom team and ethos Ineos seem to be encouraging, we dont need to be spending a fortune to fulfil a lot of these positions.

Personally I would also be looking at raising a shed load of money and replacing two of our biggest stars at umber 10 and left wing, but we all know that isnt happening this summer, so is almost pointless discussing whichever side of the fence you sit on.

What SHOULD and is likely to happen this summer for the first time in way way way too long, is we genuinely should be raising a good amount of money from sales when looking through some of the players that will definately be moved on

Woziak

Jim is in control of football matters so unless Glazers want Sancho etc working as till assistants then they’re as good as gone.

The glazers also sanctioned CR7’s contract so perhaps not as influenced by commercial as you think?
Rashford is not getting sold, he’s had a shite season but he’s nowhere near as bad as Antony who also gets paid an awful lot as a 23 year old on £12m per year which is far more of an issue than Rashford, united could have bought Kudas who offers the same skill set as Mason Mount and Antony put together but guarantees more goals, pace and assists. We could have saved £100m on transfers and £20m per year on wages had we bought Kudas rather than Mount and Antony, that’s how well the Glazers muppets ran this club!

cpresc

Rashford is not getting sold, he’s had a shite season but he’s nowhere near as bad as Antony who also gets paid an awful lot as a 23 year old on £12m per year which is far more of an issue than Rashford, united could have bought Kudas who offers the same skill set as Mason Mount and Antony put together but guarantees more goals, pace and assists. We could have saved £100m on transfers and £20m per year on wages had we bought Kudas rather than Mount and Antony, that’s how well the Glazers muppets ran this club!
I guess we'll see.

I think it's quite possible that Jim will lean into "the next Mbappe" which he was quoted saying in a recent interview.

I think we should get shot of Antony too.

The-Mezzala

Sell Lindelof , Maguire, Varane
Sign Todibo or Bremer and Branthwaite

Sell Casimero
Sign Guido Rodriquez

Sell Mctominey , Eriksen, Beek
Sign Joao Neves

Sell Antony, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood
Sign Olise

Release Martial
Sign Jonathan David

If Chelsea are still struggling try and get Palmer back to Manchester season after next. Feels like him and Mount are both at the wrong clubs.

Last edited:

Abraxas

I think we can stick a fork in Casimero and Varane which means those positions are significantly lacking quality. Hard to see past those as priorities.

Mainoo needs some actual support, it's not good enough that an 18 year old is the only one capable of taking the football in challenging situations.

We can't go back to the bad old days of playing Maguire and Lindelof regularly and not expect to suffer.

It's painful that we're replacing these already, it highlights a criminal lack of judgment and squad building.

davidmichael

Didn’t realise til earlier than Danny Welbeck is out of contract in the summer, he looked fantastic today against the dippers and as a back up option could have an Evans like effect in coming back to the club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Didn’t realise til earlier than Danny Welbeck is out of contract in the summer, he looked fantastic today against the dippers and as a back up option could have an Evans like effect in coming back to the club.
He scored 5 goals this season in 25 games.

davidmichael

He scored 5 goals this season in 25 games.
4 goals and 3 assists in 20 league games which works out at a goal contribution of 1 in less than 3 games, far better than Martial this season and minute for minute better than Rashford this season whilst playing in a lesser team.

You do realise than due to FFP/PSR there isn’t a bottomless pit of money right ? There’s lots of great bargains out there on frees this summer like Lloyd Kelly, Adarabioyo, Guido Rodriguez, Rabiot, Taremi and Welbeck and we should certainly be in for them as they’d definitely improve our squad.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
4 goals and 3 assists in 20 league games which works out at a goal contribution of 1 in less than 3 games, far better than Martial this season and minute for minute better than Rashford this season whilst playing in a lesser team.

You do realise than due to FFP/PSR there isn’t a bottomless pit of money right ? There’s lots of great bargains out there on frees this summer like Lloyd Kelly, Adarabioyo, Guido Rodriguez, Rabiot, Taremi and Welbeck and we should certainly be in for them as they’d definitely improve our squad.
As backup he’d be decent, he wouldn’t be expecting to play every game, good presser, good link up play and can HEAD
Welbeck scored 6 goals in 28 matches according to Whoscored this season. In comparision Weghorst scored 5 goals in 22 games. Danny also spent 1236 days in the treatment room throughout his entire career according to transfermarkt. He was out for 56 days of those this season alone.

Our squad struggle in scoring goals and in keeping its squad fit. Welbeck struggles massively in both. We need a solid cover/competitor for Hojlund. Welbeck can't do that.

RedStag95

Every season there will be a new need, with players moving on, ageing and the game changing around us. But for this season what we need most is to raise both the physical and technical levels of the team.

In defence I think right back can wait, centre back is where the most work is needed. We should sell Maguire and Lindelof. Ideally I would keep Varane so that there is a little bit of continuity but if he leaves he leaves. I’d like to see us bring in Branthwaite and Adarabioyo and if Varane leaves I’d get Todibo. Left back does need addressing but for now I’d either make a Malacia type cheap signing or get someone on loan like Cucurella or Reguillon again just so there’s someone there if Shaw goes down again. I have high hopes for Amass.

Midfield. Ideally we get 2. One in the Onana/Hjulmand ilk and one like Joao Neves/ Joao Gomes. Both signings would need to be accomplished ball winners but I think those 2 profiles would be a good mix of athleticism and ability on the ball. I think Eriksen, DvB and either Casemiro or Mctominay leave in the summer, can’t see it being both. This would free up enough space though to make the signings.

Now for the attack. Martial is 100% leaving. Sancho and Greenwood will never play for the club again and I can’t see Pellistri ever getting a chance so he will probably leave either permanently or on loan in the summer. I’d also happily sell Antony for anything more than £35m. We will need a winger and a striker this summer. For me the striker has to be someone young who isn’t going to be demanding to be the first choice, so no Toney. Id go with Sesko or Zirkzee due to their age and price being very similar. At this we could have 2 good options at striker for the next 10 years. On the wing, obviously I’d be very happy with Olise. But if Garnacho is making the right wing his own, and Amad being more comfortable on the right, does it make sense to sign a specialist right winger? I’d personally like to see us go for a player comfortable on both sides. Nico Williams would be my choice, but Marcus Edwards and Yeremy Pino would be on the list.

TLDR

So in total I would sell:

Maguire £20-25m

Lindelof £15m

Varane* free

Eriksen £5-10m

Van de beek £5-10m

Casemiro or Mctominay £30m

Martial free

Greenwood £20-30m

Sancho £30-35m

Antony** £35m

Pellistri Loan or £10-15m

So in total it would be £135-175m in sales, plus any fee we get for Antony if he left. The prices here are low balled.

And for the ins:

Branthwaite £60-70m

Adarabioyo free

Todibo £40m* if varane leaves

Onana or Hjulmand £50-55m

Gomes £35-40m or Neves £85m+

Sesko or zirkzee around £40m

Williams £50m or Edwards/Pino £35mish

I’d say a maximum total of £215 plus £40m if we sign Todibo. If Todibo was signed I don’t think we could afford the extra cost of Neves so we would go for Gomes for £40m top price. If no Todibo then maybe Neves is an option. All in all you would be looking at around £300m.

Around £150m net spend but with the players going out being replaced by younger players from smaller teams the wages would probably come down a bit.

The-Mezzala

Every season there will be a new need, with players moving on, ageing and the game changing around us. But for this season what we need most is to raise both the physical and technical levels of the team.

In defence I think right back can wait, centre back is where the most work is needed. We should sell Maguire and Lindelof. Ideally I would keep Varane so that there is a little bit of continuity but if he leaves he leaves. I’d like to see us bring in Branthwaite and Adarabioyo and if Varane leaves I’d get Todibo. Left back does need addressing but for now I’d either make a Malacia type cheap signing or get someone on loan like Cucurella or Reguillon again just so there’s someone there if Shaw goes down again. I have high hopes for Amass.

Midfield. Ideally we get 2. One in the Onana/Hjulmand ilk and one like Joao Neves/ Joao Gomes. Both signings would need to be accomplished ball winners but I think those 2 profiles would be a good mix of athleticism and ability on the ball. I think Eriksen, DvB and either Casemiro or Mctominay leave in the summer, can’t see it being both. This would free up enough space though to make the signings.

Now for the attack. Martial is 100% leaving. Sancho and Greenwood will never play for the club again and I can’t see Pellistri ever getting a chance so he will probably leave either permanently or on loan in the summer. I’d also happily sell Antony for anything more than £35m. We will need a winger and a striker this summer. For me the striker has to be someone young who isn’t going to be demanding to be the first choice, so no Toney. Id go with Sesko or Zirkzee due to their age and price being very similar. At this we could have 2 good options at striker for the next 10 years. On the wing, obviously I’d be very happy with Olise. But if Garnacho is making the right wing his own, and Amad being more comfortable on the right, does it make sense to sign a specialist right winger? I’d personally like to see us go for a player comfortable on both sides. Nico Williams would be my choice, but Marcus Edwards and Yeremy Pino would be on the list.

TLDR

So in total I would sell:

Maguire £20-25m

Lindelof £15m

Varane* free

Eriksen £5-10m

Van de beek £5-10m

Casemiro or Mctominay £30m

Martial free

Greenwood £20-30m

Sancho £30-35m

Antony** £35m

Pellistri Loan or £10-15m

So in total it would be £135-175m in sales, plus any fee we get for Antony if he left. The prices here are low balled.

And for the ins:

Branthwaite £60-70m

Adarabioyo free

Todibo £40m* if varane leaves

Onana or Hjulmand £50-55m

Gomes £35-40m or Neves £85m+

Sesko or zirkzee around £40m

Williams £50m or Edwards/Pino £35mish

I’d say a maximum total of £215 plus £40m if we sign Todibo. If Todibo was signed I don’t think we could afford the extra cost of Neves so we would go for Gomes for £40m top price. If no Todibo then maybe Neves is an option. All in all you would be looking at around £300m.

Around £150m net spend but with the players going out being replaced by younger players from smaller teams the wages would probably come down a bit.

Be very happy with that window. Good choices

Redivy

Athleticism and technical ability. That is what we need.

Diomande
Zubimendi
Olmo

I guarantee these three raise our teams footballing ability tenfold.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I still think we need a playmaking striker ala Martial, Kane, or Benzema.

aeh1991

ffs Licha is injured again..We can't rely on him and Shaw anymore. Also, unfortunately we should not splash money on Neves, even if we miss out on a generational talent. It's just not the right timing to ignore that we need a complete revamp of the squad. Instead, we gotta sign as much good players as possible with our limited budget.

LB: Miguel Gutierrez (25m)
RCB: Leny Yoro (45m) or Jean-Clair Todibo (35m)
LCB: Piero Hincapie (35m)
CB: Aaron Anselmino (15m)
DM: Guido Rodriguez (free)
DM/CM: Teeun Koopmeiners (45m) or Kephren Thuram (30m)
CM: Ross Barkley (free)
WF: Nico Williams (43m)
CF: Artem Dovbyk (25m) or Joshua Zirkzee (34m)

I have no idea how big our final budget will be, and how many of these players we could sign, but we gotta sell the likes of Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen, VdB, McTominay, Sancho, Greenwood and let go of Varane and Martial, too.

NoPace

ffs Licha is injured again..We can't rely on him and Shaw anymore.
Really feels like we need one guy who can play LB or LCB and then pray one of Shaw or Licha is always available, so a guy like Arsenal have with Kiwior or City with Ake, even if neither are exceptional at their 2nd best position. As you cited, Hincapie would make sense if he's adjudged to be strong enough to play LCB in a back 4 in the Prem.

aeh1991

Really feels like we need one guy who can play LB or LCB and then pray one of Shaw or Licha is always available, so a guy like Arsenal have with Kiwior or City with Ake, even if neither are exceptional at their 2nd best position. As you cited, Hincapie would make sense if he's adjudged to be strong enough to play LCB in a back 4 in the Prem.
We need to sign a LCB and a LB..