What are Swansea doing?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
What happened to them? Just a while ago they really seemed to establish themselves in the upper half of the PL and now they've seem to hit the self destruction mode. The best thing they've done so far is giving sigurdsson a new contract but apart from that:
- They have 0 strikers right now but 5 goalkeepers
- They still haven't spent the Bony money
- Their only 'bigger' signing so far has been Fer, who was already with them in the second part of the season on loan.
- Rumours about Williams and Ayew leaving as well
- They have new american owners and no one really knows where they want to go with the club

Swansea fans are livid as despite the Bony and TV deal money the board seems hesitant to spend anything while the teams around them are strengthening left and right. My Swansea mate think they're a sure bet for relegation together with Hull and I can't really disagree: If you look at their first eleven right now you'd wonder who they want to score goals apart from the occasional Sigurdsson free kick and Ayew who'll probably have to play striker as they've no one else. The defence doesn't seem convincing as well and I don't see guidolin as a great manager either.
So where do you think they'll end up?

They started really well last season but then completely faded away. They do seem to easily avoid relegation.

Don't think they bad enough to get relagated just yet. There'll still be some pretty poor sides around. Signing a sicknote like fer isn't going to help their cause though. I'd bet all the money in the world that they not going to go into next season without a new striker, just think that's premature panic.

They might still go on to spend £50m and address all main issues but I can't help but think they've lost sense of direction. Their scouting and internal development used to be very good, now they're slowly becoming a meh side nobody cares about.

I was having this discussion with my friend this morning. Have no bloody clue what they are up to. They have sold all their players, and arent even buying anyone remotely good enough to push for Europe let alone to stay in the league. They have money coming out their ears from player sales, and now their captain has one foot out the door. They need a really good August to even think about doing better than last year.

Swansea have many technical players. But now, the management has no plan how to play the game. They are trying to play defensive football using players who had been playing a more expansive brand of football in the past several seasons

Managers like Rodgers, Martinez, Laudrup were brought in sequentially as they progressed well. But after Laudrup's sacking, they had Monk, who despite being a good manager was simply reaping benefits of the good work of the previous coaches.

They need to find a progressive manager

They are going down

They're doing their utmost to be in a mix for a tough end to the season when you don't know if your team gets relegated or not. Luckily for them I'd expect some other teams to be in the queue before them.

The Bony thing is really weird. They sold him and have not replaced him at all, and now Gomis is gone as well. They still have some decent players (Sigurdsson, Ayew, Ki, Williams, Montero), all they really need is a good striker and they should be ok. There are a number of teams without that quality (esp. Bournemouth, Hull, Boro, Burnley although they might stay up).

They managed to re-sign Sigurdsson, which is huge. I think they're doing their best Aston Villa impression of meandering around until they finally get relegated.

The Bony thing is really weird. They sold him and have not replaced him at all, and now Gomis is gone as well. They still have some decent players (Sigurdsson, Ayew, Ki, Williams, Montero), all they really need is a good striker and they should be ok. There are a number of teams without that quality (esp. Bournemouth, Hull, Boro, Burnley although they might stay up).
I don't know, apart from Burnley this "having some decent players" applies for every PL team nowadays. Newcastle went down with a complete "decent first eleven". If it stayed like this right now, i'd have Swansea relegated alongside Burnley and Hull/Watford.

I don't know, apart from Burnley this "having some decent players" applies for every PL team nowadays. Newcastle went down with a complete "decent first eleven". If it stayed like this right now, i'd have Swansea relegated alongside Burnley and Hull/Watford.

I am not so sure the teams I mentioned have the number of experienced and good enough PL players. If they get a good striker I think they will be alright. I think Bournemouth will struggle, Hull look doomed and tough to see how Boro or Burnley will have enough too.

Btw Newcastle did not have that. Their defence was terrible to a man for a start. Swansea have a strong back four. Mind you if they lose Williams or Ayew they lose a lot.

@sincher strongly disagree with Bournemouth and Boro. Both have the right style, the right manager, and good players who fit their style. Bournemouth could have ended up even higher last season with a little more luck, they got Wilson back to full fitness, and made really good transfers. Cook is a great talent who could really push on, Ibe was Pool's biggest talent, and Lys Mousset is a really talented striker as well. They got a very young, agile, flairy offense now, i think they are safe. Boro made superb signings as well, have a great style of playing fast direct passing football, i tip them to be a top 10, or at least top12 contender. They will cause some up stir in the Premier league.

I already counted Williams and Ayew as lost for Swansea.

They obviously need a striker and can't afford to lose Ashley Williams this season. They need to buy obviously but they could very well end up getting Bony back. He's probably 3rd choice there now.

Southampton are in a similar situation, lost their manager and lost their two best attacking players all without really doing anything in terms of getting replacements

They're a completely pointless club. One of those teams that are happy to just be in the PL and take in all the financial reward that brings with it despite seemingly never spending any of it to improve and go up to the next level. They'll be relegated this year, imo.

Williams is a fantastic signing for Everton. One of the best and most consistent defenders in the PL.

Southampton are in a similar situation, lost their manager and lost their two best attacking players all without really doing anything in terms of getting replacements
I think Southampton are much better placed. Although they've lost Pelle, Mane and Wanyama, they've brought in Hojbjerg and Redmond. I think Hojbjerg is a great talent and will be their best midfielder and I rate Redmond highly. Their defence - as it stands - is still decent. Long displaced Pelle in the 2nd half of the season but they could probably still do with another. I think they will be OK though and finish around midtable.

Their key players (and spine) were Williams, Britton, Allen, Dyer, Sigurdsson and Bony.

Williams is linked with Everton and has been a bit dodgy of late.

Britton doesn't play much anymore.

Allen is at Stoke.

Dyer is reportedly unhappy with life at Swansea hence why he was loaned out to Leicester.

Sigurdsson just signed a contract so no problem there.

Bony is at City.

I personally think they'll struggle next season and be one of the teams that go down.

They're a completely pointless club. One of those teams that are happy to just be in the PL and take in all the financial reward that brings with it despite seemingly never spending any of it to improve and go up to the next level. They'll be relegated this year, imo.

What a pretentious post coming from a guy who supports a club that is gifted with the league every year.
Swansea have actually been the prime example (together with Southampton) over the last years how a PL club should be run. They haven't tried the quick way for glory like clubs as Leeds or Portsmouth and have continued to build on their solid foundation. I mean they only got promoted to the PL a couple of years ago coming all the way from league 2, it's not like they've been in the same position for ages. They also won the league cup recently and had a foos run in europe. This horrible summer doesn't change that they've been a successfully run club for the last decade.

They still basically have the same squad other than Williams, don't they? Can't really see what the fuss is all about as they will probably strengthen themselves in the current window. And they kept their Icelandic talisman for another five years

@sincher strongly disagree with Bournemouth and Boro. Both have the right style, the right manager, and good players who fit their style. Bournemouth could have ended up even higher last season with a little more luck, they got Wilson back to full fitness, and made really good transfers. Cook is a great talent who could really push on, Ibe was Pool's biggest talent, and Lys Mousset is a really talented striker as well. They got a very young, agile, flairy offense now, i think they are safe. Boro made superb signings as well, have a great style of playing fast direct passing football, i tip them to be a top 10, or at least top12 contender. They will cause some up stir in the Premier league.

I already counted Williams and Ayew as lost for Swansea.

I think boro's window is very dubious. They have bought like QPR. And Bournemouth were struggling at the end of the season. I don't think Ibe over Ritchie will improve them in the short term.

Williams is a fantastic signing for Everton. One of the best and most consistent defenders in the PL.

I disagree with most of that. They won a cup recently enough and were in Europe, so a lot less pointless than most of the league's make-weights. They've lost what set them apart with every team playing possession now and their new ownership.

They're a relegation candidate for me, for the first time though. Williams leaving isn't terrible - he's been properly good for them but into his 30's, 2 years left on his contract and Amat can replace him - he looked good during Laudrup's last season but hasn't played since. Everton arguably short-sighted if they're spending 10 mil + on someone his age.

They need a CM and a striker or two, they literally have no real options up front and Britton is old. Their fullbacks are a weakness too. Arguably need more quality on the wings and all. They're leaving it very late to do so much business.

What a pretentious post coming from a guy who supports a club that is gifted with the league every year.
Swansea have actually been the prime example (together with Southampton) over the last years how a PL club should be run. They haven't tried the quick way for glory like clubs as Leeds or Portsmouth and have continued to build on their solid foundation. I mean they only got promoted to the PL a couple of years ago coming all the way from league 2, it's not like they've been in the same position for ages. They also won the league cup recently and had a foos run in europe. This horrible summer doesn't change that they've been a successfully run club for the last decade.

I'm not saying they should spend millions they don't have and then go bust and yo-yo in the lower leagues but at least try and improve year on year. They aren't doing that. If anything they're doing the opposite right now. They're one of a number of PL clubs who have no ambition other than to maintain their PL status.

I'm not disputing that they're well run club btw...

Everton arguably short-sighted if they're spending 10 mil + on someone his age.

Normally I'd agree but with the fees in England I think this is one of the better deals. If he were an England international rather than Wales it'd probably be doubled.

And if reports are correct that they're getting around 50 million for Stones then it just makes it even better. 40 million change left to basically upgrade the midfield or attack.

Sigurdsson's probably re-signed so that they can get more for him if he does move on. Gomis is at Marseille now too. It does make you wonder what is behind their thinking but they do seem doomed to fail. Saying that, they'll probably do a Leicester now. Wonder what the odds are.

They'd probably go down. Things aren't looking good there at moment. Do they have any ST at the club now?

Not sure what have happened to them as Swansea was a very well run club. Why would American investors buy 60% of Swansea for 110m only to get them relegated when a year in the PL ensures around 100m?

Based on the fury of my Swansea supporting mates (is that new the 'rag mates', by the way?) I'd say the answer to the thread title is "committing gross negligence".

All asking serious questions of the transfer policy and moves of the club for several years now.

Well at least they've told the Bitters to do one after that £10 million bid for Williams. They are planning on charging £50 mil for a calamitous defender yet they are bidding £10 million for Williams :lol:. I guess it's the age thing though, 32 next month so could realistically play two top quality seasons. I think they might go down with Hull this season.

If Williams is sold they may as well flog the whole squad, we'll be relegated for a certainty.
I don't think he will be though. The striker situation is a joke.