g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Westminster Politics

Giggsyking

What's wrong with this government? Are they fecking crazy? Iraq still struggling from consequences of the war they fecking raged 20 years ago.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Don't see the problem with this, anyone in the politics appearing at football grounds automatically smacks of trying to be man/woman of the people. It's like Cameron supporting Aston Villa (or sometimes west ham when he's confused!) or Sunak saying he's a Southampton fan etc, it's all bollocks.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
And to think she was their political editor at one point...

Of course it's ok for Farage to pretend to be a "man of the people", necking pints that apparently only Labour politicians do. Or Sunak to pretend that he owns a prole car, and that he knows how contactless bank cards work. It's ok for Prime Ministers to run away and hide in a fecking fridge when they don't want to ask questions.

It's ok to lie to parliament, the Queen, and the electorate. It's ok to have wild parties when everyone else is in lockdown. It's ok to give your mates billions of pounds in taxpayer's money, and swan off to a cushy private consultation job with them after you've taken all you can from your MP role. It's ok to rip everything out of the country like copper wire in an old decrepit house. But drink a pint and wear a bomber jacket? You fecking bastard.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
She’s 100% winding down and preparing for her exit. I’m fascinated to see what her next role is and you can quote this post when everyone says something like “wow I didn’t think she would actually become communications director for the Conservative Party, that’s insane!” Or “what does a former Prime Minister need a fluffer for and why are the tax payer paying for it?”

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
She’s 100% winding down and preparing for her exit. I’m fascinated to see what her next role is and you can quote this post when everyone says something like “wow I didn’t think she would actually become communications director for the Conservative Party, that’s insane!” Or “what does a former Prime Minister need a fluffer for and why are the tax payer paying for it?”
GB News?

cafecillos

And to think she was their political editor at one point...

Of course it's ok for Farage to pretend to be a "man of the people", necking pints that apparently only Labour politicians do. Or Sunak to pretend that he owns a prole car, and that he knows how contactless bank cards work. It's ok for Prime Ministers to run away and hide in a fecking fridge when they don't want to ask questions.

It's ok to lie to parliament, the Queen, and the electorate. It's ok to have wild parties when everyone else is in lockdown. It's ok to give your mates billions of pounds in taxpayer's money, and swan off to a cushy private consultation job with them after you've taken all you can from your MP role. It's ok to rip everything out of the country like copper wire in an old decrepit house. But drink a pint and wear a bomber jacket? You fecking bastard.
I remember that and thought it was actually rather insane that a PM didn't know how to use a bank card. He's so disconnected from the normal people that things like filling in or paying for stuff are a fecking challenge for him.

TheGame

Don't see the problem with this, anyone in the politics appearing at football grounds automatically smacks of trying to be man/woman of the people. It's like Cameron supporting Aston Villa (or sometimes west ham when he's confused!) or Sunak saying he's a Southampton fan etc, it's all bollocks.
My understanding is that Starmer is an Arsenal season ticket holder and has been supporting them for years.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well, he’s a lifelong Gooner who still plays a local five a side every week.

Yes there is a political angle to where he’s announcing things. But it feels a whole lot more organic than what most other politicians do.

Say what you like about his politics, but he really loves football. The fact that he’s bright and worked his way through a career that saw him become a QC/KC doesn’t invalidate that.

Laura K is practically seething there. Not at the thing he’s doing, but that he really is at ease in those spaces. He looks pretty uncomfortable in many public spaces, but he looks effortlessly authentic at football grounds. It’s a really safe space for him.

It’s good politics, but also a very easy space for him to hold.

It’s far more galling for Sunak to rock up at Cricket venues because that’s the sport that his social class watch. Then get bowled out by teenagers as he hasn’t got an athletic bone in his body.

That soppy cow needs to disappear from tv though. She’s gotta be toast. The last four days have been abominable.

UnrelatedPsuedo

My understanding is that Starmer is an Arsenal season ticket holder and has been supporting them for years.
He is. I was at a Q&A with him once and he was gushing about the Invincibles and how much he’d like to see another Title win. But said that Michael Thomas’ clinching goal against Liverpool was his favourite moment as a fan. He’s a proper fan who walks to the ground too.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Is it the same that if he wins he has a year of immunity from another vote or is that Tory party rules or at least if the vote is triggered by your own party?

Bert_

Is it the same that if he wins he has a year of immunity from another vote or is that Tory party rules or at least if the vote is triggered by your own party?
That's just an internal Tory party thing. Dont think there is any limit on motions of confidence in the commons.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Generally no, but votes of confidence are based on convention rather than any legal basis so it is a bit fuzzy on the specifics.

TheGame

No that’s just Tory stuff but for this it might be mean Tories will have to turn up and actually vote for a change. Will be interesting to see how people like Braverman vote.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
People are pointing this out because she has been a Tory stooge for a while and the criticism from her is pathetic.
I can’t remember her once commenting on the ridiculous cosplaying as a tank operator, train driver, farmer, supermarket worker, electrician, construction worker etc etc from Johnson or Sunak’s cosplaying as a human being.

Sweet Square

People are pointing this out because she has been a Tory stooge for a while and the criticism from her is pathetic.
Pointing out Starmer is playing into the centrist dad/every man persona isn’t a criticism but more a fact(Apparently even the party say this is true). She even mentions how different Starmer plan is the awful Ed Miliband one.

This media planning/playing the game Kuenssberg mentions Labour are doing was one of big reasons why people elected Starmer as leader. There’s really no reason why Labour voters should be mad about this video.

Also the Tory stooge stuff is meaningless now. It’s strange for Labour voters to get angry at Kuenssberg for her role with the likes of Johnstone while also thinking Labour accepting Tory MP’s into the party is a good thing.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Pointing out Starmer is playing into the centrist dad/every man persona isn’t a criticism but more a fact(Apparently even the party say this is true)

Again this media planning/playing the game Kuenssberg mentions Labour are doing was one of big reasons why people elected Starmer as leader. There’s really no reason why Labour voters should be mad about this video.

Also the Tory stooge stuff is meaningless now. It’s strange for Labour voters to get angry at Kuenssberg for her role with the likes of Johnstone while also thinking Labour accepting Tory MP’s into the party is a good thing.
I think you’re mistaking our beef with the Tory bitch as us giving a shit about Starmer and the Labour Party. It’s a long held grudge against her personally for the damage her client journalism has done over the past decade.

It’s just interesting that the closer we edge towards the Tories being booted out, the thinner her veneer of impartiality gets. The lip is curling more often and and she no longer hides her contempt. She won’t be in the role this time next year but until then, she’s going to get worse and worse and she knows there’s zero consequence. Tim Davie will turn a blind eye, or more likely encourage it and Ofcom will say that no rules are broken. It all leads towards her getting a very cushty job in the private sector paid for by a very rich Tory donor to say thanks for her years of service.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I think you’re mistaking our beef with the Tory bitch as us giving a shit about Starmer and the Labour Party. It’s a long held grudge against her personally for the damage her client journalism has done over the past decade.

It’s just interesting that the closer we edge towards the Tories being booted out, the thinner her veneer of impartiality gets. The lip is curling more often and and she no longer hides her contempt. She won’t be in the role this time next year but until then, she’s going to get worse and worse and she knows there’s zero consequence. Tim Davie will turn a blind eye, or more likely encourage it and Ofcom will say that no rules are broken. It all leads towards her getting a very cushty job in the private sector paid for by a very rich Tory donor to say thanks for her years of service.
I predict she will be the next head of Ofcom.

Eplel

Pointing out Starmer is playing into the centrist dad/every man persona isn’t a criticism but more a fact(Apparently even the party say this is true). She even mentions how different Starmer plan is the awful Ed Miliband one.

This media planning/playing the game Kuenssberg mentions Labour are doing was one of big reasons why people elected Starmer as leader. There’s really no reason why Labour voters should be mad about this video.

I don't understand why you're mad at people pointing out Laura's hypocrisy. That she's a tory hypocrite is just a fact.

TheGame

Yep exactly this.

Sweet Square

If it’s about a larger point then fair enough. Kuenssberg is really awful but imo the actual video and her observation(Starmer is a centrist dad)is perfectly fine.

White text was ommitted for reasons more obvious than SweetSquare themselves.
I don't understand why you're mad at people pointing out Laura's hypocrisy. That she's a tory hypocrite is just a fact.
Normal response.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think you’re mistaking our beef with the Tory bitch as us giving a shit about Starmer and the Labour Party.
We can probably stop calling her a bitch though? Probably my feminist sensibilities kicking in, but it feels like we have lots of words available and probably don’t need to call women bitches?

No critique of you. I’m sure I’ve called Braverman and Farage Thundercunts on numerous occasions.

Laura has sold out as a journalist. She’s self serving, opportunistic, dishonest, a shill, mouthpiece and thoroughly unpleasant… but ‘Bitch’ does feel like a word we could stop throwing around.

Could just be me though, we all have different lines in the sand.