Westminster Politics 2024-2029

GXvGXR7XgAAILlP

https://theguardian.com/politics/20...gifts-more-than-any-other-recent-party-leader

@Pexbo, make sure you book time in your diary.

What on earth does anyone involved in that show think any viewer will gain from this?

You can't learn anything here, anything difficult and he lies, openly, and they never call him on it.

The only thing it can possible do is help him publicise his new business, which would be a breach of BBC rules.

I remember someone here giving a lesson on how great sir Kid Starver is compared to us for all the human rights work he has done as a lawyer.

Corrupt that takes bribes. Disgusting politician.

Last edited:
What on earth does anyone involved in that show think any viewer will gain from this?

You can't learn anything here, anything difficult and he lies, openly, and they never call him on it.

The only thing it can possible do is help him publicise his new business, which would be a breach of BBC rules.

It will purely be for his benefit, new book. Laura K will be up his arse as usual. No idea why the BBC think this is a good idea.

I agree with your first point, very stupid of Starmer to not be more aware. However in relation to Simon Case, how he is still in a role is beyond me. Nowhere near good enough to be Cabinet Secretary.
Maybe this explains the leaks? It could be that Sue Gray has a point here. Case is reported to be resigning for health reasons in the New Year, and Labour want to bring that forward.

Couldn't really care less about the fashion show thing to be honest. What a ridiculous non story.

The gifts for Starmer though and the interview posted above are depressing. These should be challenged, just as we challenged it on the other side.
I agree, we have strict rules about this sort of thing in my line of work. I don't know why parliament / government always seems to be 20 years behind everyone else in some of these basic ethical rules everyone else is expected to follow in their places of work.

I remember someone here giving a lesson on how great sir Kid Starver is compared to for all the human rights work he has done as a lawyer.

Corrupt that takes bribes. Disgusting politician.

Leaving aside the hypocrisy and ethics of this behaviour, how fecking stupid do you need to be to do this whilst your central message is enforced economic austerity. Taking money away from pensioners whilst enjoying gifts left right and centre.

We're just inundated with career politicians who want the job because it benefits them not the country.

Leaving aside the hypocrisy and ethics of this behaviour, how fecking stupid do you need to be to do this whilst your central message is enforced economic austerity. Taking money away from pensioners whilst enjoying gifts left right and centre.

We're just inundated with career politicians who want the job because it benefits them not the country.
Yup. And one of the few who isn’t a career politician and actually wanted to help people was smeared as an antisemitic tankie.

I agree, we have strict rules about this sort of thing in my line of work. I don't know why parliament / government always seems to be 20 years behind everyone else in some of these basic ethical rules everyone else is expected to follow in their places of work.

Some of it is definitely against the law under anti-corruption as we're taught it at work. Are MP's exempt in some way, as I essentially can't take gifts off of someone I'm working with or for?

Because they're corrupt and directly benefit from it?

How can you really genuinely not know this by now?

Buffer zones around abortion clinics to come into force at end of October, Home Office says​

Protection zones will be in force around abortion clinics in England and Wales from 31 October, the Home Office said today.

The law will ban campaigners from handing anti-abortion leaflets to people using the clinics. The so-called buffer zones will operate within a 150m radius of clinics.

Describing what the law would do, the Home Office said in a news release:

Safe access buffer zones will make it illegal for anyone to do anything that intentionally or recklessly influences someone’s decision to use abortion services, obstructs them, or causes harassment or distress to someone using or working at these premises …
Anyone found guilty of breaking the law will face an unlimited fine. The College of Policing and Crown Prosecution Service will publish guidance for police and prosecutors ahead of 31 October, to ensure there is clarity and consistency with the enforcement of the new offence.

It is good to see this being brought into force.

Jesus christ. Marginally better than Sunak trying to make out his was a typical lower middle class upbringing which became more due to sheer hard work.....

But what is the obsession in this country with everyone making out they were self made and from a working class background, working the coal lines etc etc?
What’s the obsession with class in general? I don’t know of any other country where people bang on about it as much.

Starmer has 5 more years. He’s already filling his pockets and no doubt enjoying it. He’s not going to want to lose this gravy train so his next step is going to be to secure his position which means the cronyism and corruption will start to spread through the Labour Party as he ensures he’s got the support he needs as party leader to continue.

We have been for years.

We currently have a housing minister whose sole experience of anything to do with housing is living in one.

A Home Secretary whose career consists of two years as a journalist.

A Chancellor who did a couple of years at the Bank of England and once had an interview (!) at Goldman Sachs.

A Defence Secretary who has only ever seen the military on TV shows.

A health secretary whose experience of the NHS is as a patient.

Schools minister who hasn't been in one since she was a pupil.

And so on. Then we wonder why these people are so hopeless. Very few know anything about the area their department works in.

They're far from perfect but compare that to the US:

Schools minister who actually was a school teacher and then a headmaster.

A Chancellor who spent a career at the Fed. Previous ones have been heads of major banks.

A 4 star General as a Defence Secretary.

For the most part the big jobs go to those with real experience in the area they're being asked to lead.

They don’t seem to be fans

Gray, Dammit.

Saw this in The Guardian article about the pay:

The BBC first reported that Gray was paid £3,000 more than Starmer’s salary of £166,786.

One source told the broadcaster: “It was suggested that she might want to go for a few thousand pounds less than the prime minister to avoid this very story. She declined.”

Gray, Dammit.

Saw this in The Guardian article about the pay:

The BBC first reported that Gray was paid £3,000 more than Starmer’s salary of £166,786.

One source told the broadcaster: “It was suggested that she might want to go for a few thousand pounds less than the prime minister to avoid this very story. She declined.”
The feelings of entitlement from them is so insane it’s almost like a work of art.

It's bizarre. My wife's company doesn't let her accept any gifts from third-party companies and she's only allowed to accept a glass of water when she has to visit them, not even a cup of tea, which is a bit overboard.

It's bizarre. My wife's company doesn't let her accept any gifts from third-party companies and she's only allowed to accept a glass of water when she has to visit them, not even a cup of tea, which is a bit overboard.
We have to get anything over £50 authorised before accepting. Including client events that are sometimes at the cricket for instance.
They are almost always OKd but we can’t accept anything basically unless the right people say ok.
I think that’s fairly standard in the private sector.

We have to get anything over £50 authorised before accepting. Including client events that are sometimes at the cricket for instance.
They are almost always OKd but we can’t accept anything basically unless the right people say ok.
For UK universities too.

It's certainly way cleaner. Stupid thing is her company is renowned in its sector for putting on massive lavish annual client event.

Has she considered going into politics?
:lol:She's loving Rory Stewart's book right now and is a massive fan of his podcast.

Same with me, Starmer's the boss though so I guess he approves his own!