Westminster Politics 2024-2029

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Surely time to put the old thread to bed and start afresh?

Such an interesting setup for this parliament.

In one scenario we see another five years of mediocre economic growth and no real improvement in public services, meaning that Labour get demolished in five years.

There's then another scenario where economic growth (and public services) steadily improve how people feel about the country, politics becomes more stable and quiet, the Tories lurch to the right to chase Reform voters and fail, and Labour are much more popular in five years than they are today.

Any economic/ geopolitical shocks could be dire for this government, and those seem to keep coming...

Such an interesting setup for this parliament.

In one scenario we see another five years of mediocre economic growth and no real improvement in public services, meaning that Labour get demolished in five years.

There's then another scenario where economic growth (and public services) steadily improve how people feel about the country, politics becomes more stable and quiet, the Tories lurch to the right to chase Reform voters and fail, and Labour are much more popular in five years than they are today.

Any economic/ geopolitical shocks could be dire for this government, and those seem to keep coming...

Almost like they need to be ambitious on climate change and invest in the economy and public services to mitigate that risk...

Now let's hope that everything the Starmerites have been saying about labour turning left when they're elected is true.

Ha this Labour politician on sky trying to claim winning just over a third of the vote was all part of the Labour master plan.

Badenoch and Braverman both won. You imagine they'll be among the frontrunners for the Tory leadership sadly.

Ha this Labour politician on sky trying to claim winning just over a third of the vote was all part of the Labour master plan.

The strategy was to focus on voter efficiency if that's what they meant?

Basically the votes after the one that gets you past the post are 'wasted' so to get a large majority they gambled on the middle ground picking votes in middle England and focusing less on losing their base in Labour strongholds.

It can only win for this one election because of the opposition 'change' effect and the fracture in the vote on the right but the next gamble is that they do well in government and build trust with the electorate so they maintain support from a more 'macro' level, though they will inevitably lose some of their majority at the next election.

Badenoch and Braverman both won. You imagine they'll be among the frontrunners for the Tory leadership sadly.

That's utterly depressing. Both awful humans but if Braverman manages to get leadership then it might help because she's an imbecile.

Braverman is probably the most 'senior' one left in terms of holding office recently.

She'd be most likely to win I would think, the only question is would they want it. Being leader now is a hiding to nothing, for those two it would be a poor career move, and that is what they are all about.

They may end up with duncan smith as a caretaker for a while as they regroup. I still think a merger with reform is likely before 2019.

The Starmer Tory Labour party do not warrant a new thread

Braverman is probably the most 'senior' one left in terms of holding office recently.

She'd be most likely to win I would think, the only question is would they want it. Being leader now is a hiding to nothing, for those two it would be a poor career move, and that is what they are all about.

They may end up with duncan smith as a caretaker for a while as they regroup. I still think a merger with reform is likely before 2019.

Cleverley is still there. He's dumb but not as dumb as Suella.

I don't have much hope but I do think there will be a tad less cronyism, more accountability and maybe less massive dickheads.

Low bar but we start small.

The country has lurched right. Tories will absorb Reform. Labour will move right to compete.

I don't have much hope but I do think there will be a tad less cronyism, more accountability and maybe less massive dickheads.

Low bar but we start small.
I don't think the bar goes any higher sadly, if anything I'd expect it to lower to try and placate the new wave of mouth-frothing Reform voters, who's party by their own admission will be setting their crosshairs on Labour going forward.

As spin lines go it's a poor one isn't it. Nice to see we've got some here repeating the spin though.

As if Labour deliberately chose more seats over more votes. Canvassers and strategists always think they're playing god though. Just a very thinly veiled attempt to try and put an active ownership of the result rather than external factors influencing it.

Im not a big fan of Rayner, but i love the fact, now that shes deputy PM,, the right wing fecktards who are snobbishly obsessed with her, have sent some pretty nasty jibes her way over the last few years are going to be crying some salty tears into their nannies arms.

Im not a big fan of Rayner, but i love the fact, now that shes deputy PM,, the right wing fecktards who are snobbishly obsessed with her, have sent some pretty nasty jibes her way over the last few years are going to be crying some salty tears into their nannies arms.

Prescott 2.0

While she eats lobster and drinks 25yr old Bollinger in a 5* Michelin restaurant, yeah a real woman of the people.

While she eats lobster and drinks 25yr old Bollinger in a 5* Michelin restaurant, yeah a real woman of the people.
She not allowed to enjoy the finer things in life?

Reminds me of when she got rinsed for going to the opera.

You can have working class routes and enjoy the finer things in life.

Never trust Labour, they are all a bunch of liars, even going back to Wilson and his pipe, he only had it to look like a working man, he smoked hand rolled Havana cigars.
Starmer is worth more than Boris

Not when she mouths off about how she knows what it's like to live today.
Like the rest of them she hasn't got a scooby.

this this and this
how dare she enjoy the trappings of her success? (going from where she started some to deputy PM, is some achievement).

Because she has some money now? I mean just because she does now, doesn't mean she always did and doesn't mean she doesn't know what its like to be working class.
Not that I like her much, but seems a bit weird that anyone who comes from working class routes who becomes successful is seen that way.

this this and this
how dare she enjoy the trappings of her success? (going from where she started some to deputy PM, is some achievement).
Yeah but she’s successsful now therefore it is impossible for her to have a remote clue what working class people in society go through. No way she knows anyone or talks to anyone.

Mogg: There are no 5* Michelin restaurants and the Malbec was a red wine, pleb.

because poverty 20 years ago is different to poverty today? ffs, she left school with no qualifications and a baby at 16, living on a council estate on welfare.

Starmer's six cabinet appointments so far:

Angela Rayner - deputy prime minister and secretary of state for levelling up, housing and communities
Rachel Reeves - chancellor
David Lammy - foreign secretary
Yvette Cooper - home secretary
John Healey - defence secretary
Pat McFadden- Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster

Never trust Labour, they are all a bunch of liars, even going back to Wilson and his pipe, he only had it to look like a working man, he smoked hand rolled Havana cigars.
Starmer is worth more than Boris
I heard Attlee only got shot in World War One to make him look like all the other ordinary soldiers.

Starmer's six cabinet appointments so far:

Angela Rayner - deputy prime minister and secretary of state for levelling up, housing and communities
Rachel Reeves - chancellor
David Lammy - foreign secretary
Yvette Cooper - home secretary
John Healey - defence secretary
Pat McFadden- Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
I hope Angela's first duty as Deputy is to get rid of the stupid as feck "Levelling Up" part of the name from her secretary role.