We must buy the next Yamal

We can buy almost anyone true, but we are dodging the talent part.

We can buy anyone, but when we don't get our first choice, we just spend the same amount the top choice would cost on a lesser choice to make everyone think whomever we bought is on par with the one we missed out on. Genius plan.

If fans spent less time moaning and more time making babies there would be a greater talent pool for the future.

I bet ETH hasn’t even thought about it the Pep Guardiola is my idol.

You can no longer buy players under 18 from outside the UK, I think. We hit gold with Garnacho before the rules came in. Now it's a case of buying emerging players like Yoro and Zirkzee, and youth players in the UK.

If fans spent less time moaning and more time making babies there would be a greater talent pool for the future.
INREOS and sticking within budgets
If each fan donates a tenner we'd have enough to buy Yamal.
83,000,000 fans * tenner = 830,000,000 million to spend on Yamal and other world class talents.

You said several times that United are the richest club in the world, but I don't think they are, I think that's Madrid.

Players like Yamal won't come to United, its just not appealing enough. World class players rarely come to the club in their prime, just doesn't happen.

If Yamal has a stellar career, he'll come when he's past it, 29yrs old, looking for a last 4yr contract, with his best years behind him, like Ibra and Cavani. He'll then get crocked 18 months into it on 400k a week.

We already have a talent in the level of Yamal in Lenny Yoro... nicked him from under Real Madrid's nose.

We did overhaul our scouting and recruiting of youth players under Ole and started developing them through the loans system, with a view to them progressing into the first team or being sold. It takes a number of years for this type of strategy to start showing signs of success and you can see that happening the last couple of years.

We signed the likes of Kambwala, Hannibal, Alvaro Carreras, Garnacho, McNeil and Hugill at the start of this process.More recently we have signed Collyer, Amass, Chido Obi Martin, Sekou Kone and Samuel Lusale.

All of these players were rated really highly at youth level and we poached them from top clubs. Some will make it in the first team and others will not, that's the reality of the step up from youth level to first team football.

The hope is that out of all these players you discover a Lamine Yamal but it happens very rarely!

Yamal wouldn’t turn out anywhere near as good if he played for us. He’d have a couple of bad games in this dysfunctional mess of a club and the fans would be slagging him off as not good enough and desperate to sell him as part of the “dead wood” clear out next summer. Already Mainoo is getting it in the neck from out support.

You can no longer buy players under 18 from outside the UK, I think. We hit gold with Garnacho before the rules came in. Now it's a case of buying emerging players like Yoro and Zirkzee, and youth players in the UK.
You can, they just can’t come to the team until they are 18. As of yesterday, Chelsea owns like 60% of the playing population under 18 in South America …. Was starting to lose count

You can, they just can’t come to the team until they are 18. As of yesterday, Chelsea owns like 60% of the playing population under 18 in South America …. Was starting to lose count
True. Clubs have found ways around that rule.

We should sign the next Jesus. The omnipotent deity, not the emoji-faced Arsenal player.

He has the power to create regens, so that's player signings taken care of. He can heal the sick, so that's Luke Shaw back on the pitch. He can turn water into wine, so that's a fortune saved on hospitaility. Good with tech, pretty much invented tablets.

On the downside, doesn't always respond well to orders. Strong dislike of crosses. May think he's bigger than the club

True. Clubs have found ways around that rule.
It's not without its risks though. About 20% of the players @Bluelion7 mentions will probably get some kind of injury that details them by the time they join, while roughly 97.8% will be full blown crocks once United sign them from Chelsea as a PSR solid.

We must hope for another busby babes or class of 92. Or get lucky like the Rooney and Ronaldo signings.

Superstars don't want to come here. Cold and damp. No yachts and crazy clubs. No oil money.

We must hope for another busby babes or class of 92. Or get lucky like the Rooney and Ronaldo signings.

Superstars don't want to come here. Cold and damp. No yachts and crazy clubs. No oil money.
Let's not blame bad luck or geographical reasons for where we are at right now in terms of player quality.
Don't think it's only luck back in the day with Rooney and Ronaldo. Fergie usually got it right with at least 1 of 2/3 transfers. That's not luck it's just doing a great job.
Also superstars would come here, if only we would have a good team again and compete for major trophies every year.

Excellent stuff Horsey, you almost had me.

For those who are scratching their head, behold this thread from nearly a decade ago

Nearly perfect replica word for word:

Watching Barca play cat-and-mouse with City, I realized that they have bought their best players: Suarez, Neymar, even Messi himself.

Man Utd is the richest football club in the world. We should identify and buy the best players in the world. That's how we'll be as good or better than Barca and Real. There is no other way. We cannot expect to produce this type of talent. We have to identify it and buy it.

I know that we are not used to operate like this. Perhaps the reason was that SAF did not like to work with super-star players. Or he did not like to spend. Or the owners did not give him money. We don't know the truth but it does not matter any more. Things have changed.

We are the richest club in the world but we cannot expect to get anywhere with Evans and the likes we have been producing during the past decade. We have to spend a lot and buy the best players. Di Maria is a start but he is not enough.

Haven't read the ten pages, but the sentiment is correct, which is why I like our recruitment this summer. No amount of money is getting the very best players out of Real, Bayern and Barca - so it's either settle for inferior squads or catch them early.

It's a shame that, while we had at least traditionally been at the top of the queue for British talent that can reach that level, the last two that moved in Bellingham and Palmer have gone elsewhere.

Despite the hundreds of millions we have spent recently to try and return to the top, I still think our route back will be through the longer game of watching Zirkzee, Yoro, Mainoo and Amad grow into top players. Of course there are others too, and some of those cost good money anyway, but my point is it is a longer game that will work for us, perhaps as it always has.