We have the strongest and most balanced squad post-Fergie

Happy with everything up until the final 3rd to be honest. I don't really want Sterling but he'd probably be our best or 2nd best wide player which says it all.

I think our squad looks mostly fine, obviously LB is a concern but if we can get someone fit there then I think we can be very competitive.

I doubt we have the manager to make the most of it though. Maybe Ruud will get a tune out of them second half of the season.

As long as Ten Hag is the manager, this squad - as improved as it clearly is - won't go anywhere.

It doesn't really need much explanation, but I do wonder if people get the same feeling.

Onana - very rounded goalkeeper (worse shot stopper than prime De Gea, but useful in the buildup)
Dalot / Mazroui - two versatile and athletic fullbacks
Shaw - good when fit, obvious concerns about his injury record
Martinez/de Ligt/Yoro - probably the strongest we've been at CB for many many years, and we still have Maguire/Lindelof as backup
Casemiro/Ugarte - defensive midfielder, not one, but two! And each one a completely different type.
Mainoo/Eriksen/Mount - not super exciting options apart from Kobbie, but at least our first choice looks great
Bruno/Mount - got the #10 covered, and I could throw in more players who can do the job there as we love stacking up #10s
Rashford/Garnacho/Amad - whatever is happening with Marcus now, he IS capable of scoring goals, and we're pretty covered on RW as well (funny we've spent 150m on RW and neither of them is even considered here)
Hojlund/Zirkzee as strikers - IMO here we are the weakest as far as "first choice goes" (I have doubts over Rasmus), but still we do have two strikers, plus good cover in Rashford/Bruno for different purposes

In Ole days we used to have much stronger attack (with MMM and Bruno when he joined), but our midfield and defensive line was very poor quality, so I still think we're stronger now. This must be the best, and definitely most balanced squad we had since Fergie left? Ten Hag has been backed plenty, I expect us to start flying really soon.

Our squad is better than it's been in a while but still one of the weakest I can remember. Woefully short of a reliable goal-scorers up front, issues at left back and doubts over our keeper. Plus central midfield is heavily reliant on a teenager and a player we all thought was over the hill last season (and could go off the boil again at any time) Comparing our squad with past crappy United squads tells us very little. We should be comparing it with our current rivals.

It doesn't really need much explanation, but I do wonder if people get the same feeling.

Onana - very rounded goalkeeper (worse shot stopper than prime De Gea, but useful in the buildup)
Martinez/de Ligt/Yoro - probably the strongest we've been at CB for many many years, and we still have Maguire/Lindelof as backup
Casemiro/Ugarte - defensive midfielder, not one, but two! And each one a completely different type.
Mainoo/Eriksen/Mount - not super exciting options apart from Kobbie, but at least our first choice looks great
Bruno/Mount - got the #10 covered, and I could throw in more players who can do the job there as we love stacking up #10s
Rashford/Garnacho/Amad - whatever is happening with Marcus now, he IS capable of scoring goals, and we're pretty covered on RW as well (funny we've spent 150m on RW and neither of them is even considered here)
Hojlund/Zirkzee as strikers - IMO here we are the weakest as far as "first choice goes" (I have doubts over Rasmus), but still we do have two strikers, plus good cover in Rashford/Bruno for different purposes

In Ole days we used to have much stronger attack (with MMM and Bruno when he joined), but our midfield and defensive line was very poor quality, so I still think we're stronger now. This must be the best, and definitely most balanced squad we had since Fergie left? Ten Hag has been backed plenty, I expect us to start flying really soon.

I think our attack is weak.
Rashford/Garnacho/Amad - very inconsistent which is to be expected for Garnacho and Amad as they are too young. Rashford appears to be finished. And Antony? I can see why you left him out.

Mount hasnt scored or assisted yet and is often injured. Bruno's goal output has significantly declined the past 2 seasons. Zirkzee is somewhat unknown. Hojlund - I dont know yet, jury is still out.

Happy with everything up until the final 3rd to be honest. I don't really want Sterling but he'd probably be our best or 2nd best wide player which says it all.
Yeah, I'm caught in 2 minds. We should probably have tried adding a real quality winger (Nico Williams or Kvara if either were possible) as it's clear that Sancho and Antony cannot be relied upon and Rashford hasn't been good enough for a long time now.

Amad & Garnacho are both young & talented, so we need to have patience. Same probably applies to the 2 strikers. I guess this is what is required from fans when you're signing fairly young, talented players - patience during those frustrating/inconsistent moments.

What are your thoughts around the attack/how should/could we have improved it? Sign more experience to dovetail with the youngsters?

We still have a serious lack of quality up front, unfortunately.

Rashford - Assuming he continues his form from last season he provides far too little.
Garnacho - Promising player but still a youngster that is likely to be inconsistent.
Diallo - Same as Garnacho, but probably not as far progressed in terms of his development.
Antony - Largely useless.
Sancho - Looks like we are getting rid. Doesn't contribute with much if he stays.
Højlund - Has shown glimpses, but also some serious weaknesses to his game. Needs to step it up compared to last season.
Zirkzee - Reserving judgement but looks promising.

It's not clear that we will score enough goals to consistently win games. I expect it will be a lot of 1-0's and 2-1 this season, as evidenced by our first two games. We could have won and lost both of them, and got one of each.

It was definitely an attempt at a veiled criticism. Look how strong our squad is! If we don't win every game then the manager is definitely a fraud.
With or the without the thread there are still huge question marks over the manager. Even if it is a "veiled criticism", it is the right question to ask whether we can expect any progression this season or are there still a bevy of excuses that are going to be trotted out for our under-performances?

In normal circumstances, if a manager is allowed time and to spend ~£200m every transfer window it is reasonable to expect a linear progression season on season. However, the magic of a Sine wave graph is that you can shit the bed after a relatively good season and the expectation for the third season are lower than the results achieved in the first season.

Our defence is looking very strong overall, midfield is okay but great but our attack is miles off the required level. Particularly on the wings. Garnacho would be top class and I rate Amad too but aside from them, we are short on world class options.

We've been a lot closer to our rivals in squad strength at times over the past 10 years. This is way off.

Rashford - Assuming he continues his form from last season he provides far too little.
Garnacho - Promising player but still a youngster that is likely to be inconsistent.
Diallo - Same as Garnacho, but probably not as far progressed in terms of his development.
Sancho - Looks like we are getting rid. Doesn't contribute with much if he stays.
Højlund - Has shown glimpses, but also some serious weaknesses to his game. Needs to step it up compared to last season.

It's not clear that we will score enough goals to consistently win games. I expect it will be a lot of 1-0's and 2-1 this season, as evidenced by our first two games. We could have won and lost both of them, and got one of each.
Yup. Not top 4 material in this list unless there is major improvement.

I think we are doing many things right. In terms of age profile it's almost too much of the good stuff. If Ugarte takes Casemiro's spot, which I suspect he will, then Bruno becomes our most senior starter at age 29 (soon 30, but still...). In fact, if Shaw continues with his injury problems then Bruno is the only starter older than 26!

But with such a profile comes the harsh reality that most of the players are not good enough right now. I like Garnacho for instance, but if he was 26 years old people would have called last season mediocre at best. We are far more generous when it comes to rating young players, which makes sense of course, but we still need to win and play good football.

Ultimately our team is full of "what ifs" and "good enoughs". I think 2 or 3 of the young ones (U24) need to step up big time this year. If not, then I think that we need to briefly go back to signing one or two "superstars" next summer.

... and the team is one thing, but let's not forget about the manager.

That is the way to build a successful side though, get a lot of potential in. Let them mature together, replacing the ones that aren't good enough with different players with potential. Every now and then you'll have a senior gap to fill, but it shouldn't be the norm. Especially with the way the league is at the moment, we couldn't afford to sign players to compete here and now.

We're better off aiming to be the top side in 2 or 3 years as players like Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund and now Yoro mature.

Next season could be 1 of those plugging the gaps transfer windows to be fair. Rashford and Shaw are 2 of our more senior players and could both require replacing next season.

Yea, I would not be backing us to get near top four when comparing those options with others in the league. Far too many questions around the attacking options and none you would be willing to hang your hat on.

On paper, it is clear that we have a balanced squad with options all over the field which is obviously very good, regarding quality, I do not know what so say, maybe potential, it's there in some players but it depends which ones will live to our expectations.

When you start looking into the details, then the problems are easy to spot:

- In reality we do not have a LB, Shaw has been injured for a long time now.
- Yoro has a long term injury, he could become a starter maybe next season
- De Ligt looks unprepared
- Bruno, which is our main creative player is not the same as he was 2-3 years ago
- Rashford off form for a year
- Hojlund starts to look injury prone, a little limited and not a constant goalscorer
- We concede goals from nothing
- We can barely score a goal per game
- We can't control games regardless of opposition

On paper, it is clear that we have a balanced squad with options all over the field which is obviously very good, regarding quality, I do not know what so say, maybe potential, it's there in some players but it depends which ones will live to our expectations.

When you start looking into the details, then the problems are easy to spot:

- In reality we do not have a LB, Shaw has been injured for a long time now.
- Yoro has a long term injury, he could become a starter maybe next season
- De Ligt looks unprepared
- Bruno, which is our main creative player is not the same as he was 2-3 years ago
- Rashford off form for a year
- Hojlund starts to look injury prone, a little limited and not a constant goalscorer
- We concede goals from nothing
- We can barely score a goal per game
- We can't control games regardless of opposition
I think those last 3 points are more down to the structure and set up of the team, rather than the quality of the players in the squad. Which makes them an even bigger concern, in many respects...

We still lack a striker who can score lots of goals (20 goals+ EPL; 30+ all comps)
and a fast winger in the mould of Robben/Hazard/Salah/Saka etc

I think we do have good balance and a good mix of youth and experience too. What we now need is for the coaching staff to get that extra 10% out of the squad that the top managers can do, thats what set Fergie apart, he managed to make poor players look good and good players world class. Klopp did it with the scousers, we need that extra yard and synergy to start to show through.

Removing any emotion or excitement for the new signings.

I think the lack of experience in attack will be reflected in up and down performances. It needs another year (in a stable environment) to mature a bit.

Fighting for 4th-6th position is still what I expect from this team...which usually means somewhere around 10 Loses in the league. Something that easily gets forgotten whenever the team drops points.

Yeah, I'm caught in 2 minds. We should probably have tried adding a real quality winger (Nico Williams or Kvara if either were possible) as it's clear that Sancho and Antony cannot be relied upon and Rashford hasn't been good enough for a long time now.

Amad & Garnacho are both young & talented, so we need to have patience. Same probably applies to the 2 strikers. I guess this is what is required from fans when you're signing fairly young, talented players - patience during those frustrating/inconsistent moments.

What are your thoughts around the attack/how should/could we have improved it? Sign more experience to dovetail with the youngsters?
It's a difficult one because of finances. I like the fact they've bolstered the base of the team and understand this is a process that won't get fixed in one transfer window.

The only thing we could've done is maybe take on one CB and put the money of the other signing towards the attacking line? But I really like what we've done.

We've gambled on Rashford getting back close to his best. Gambled on Garnacho, Amad, Zirkzee, Hojlund and Antony kicking on and maybe Mount contributing more to the scoresheet.

I'm not too sure Zirkzee was the best option, but it's far too early to make an informed opinion.

We still have a midfield with no controlling player like an Carrick, unless Mainoo develops the role. We will still be playing long balls up the wings and although our pressing has been better it has been to the detriment of having no striker. This needs to be overcome by either a tactical switch or coaching and that’s on TH

We've got a few squads post-Fergie. Hope that this gives you an idea of the many squads we have had.

2015/16 - LVG2017/18 - Mourinho2020/21 - Ole2022/23 - ETH2024/25 - till now
GKDe Gea, RomeroDe Gea, RomeroDe Gea, Henderson, RomeroDe Gea, Dubravka, Butland, HeatonOnana, Bayindir, Heaton
RBValencia, DarmianValencia, DarmianAWB, DalotAWB, DalotDalot, Mazraoui
CBSmalling, Rojo, Blind, JonesSmalling, Rojo, Blind, Jones, Lindelof, BaillyMaguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe, JonesVarane, Martinez, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly,De Ligt, Martinez, Maguire, Yoro, Evans, Lindelof
LBShaw, YoungShaw, YoungShaw, Telles, WilliamsShaw, Malacia, WilliamsShaw, Malacia
DMSchweinsteiger, SchneiderlinMatic, CarrickMatic, FredCasemiro, FredCasemiro, Ugarte
CMCarrick, Herrera, FellainiPogba, Herrera, FellainiPogba, McTominay, VDBMcTominay, Eriksen, SabitzerMainoo, Eriksen
AMMata, LingardMata, Mkhitariyan (till Jan)Bruno, Mata, LingardBruno, VDBBruno, Mount
RWJanuzajLingardGreenwood, James, Elanga, AmadAnthony, Elanga, PellistriAmad, Anthony
LWRashford, DepayRashford, Sanchez (from Jan)Rashford,Rashford, SanchoRashford, Garnacho, Sancho
CFRooney, Martial, ChicharitoLukaku, MartialMartial, CavaniMartial, Ronaldo, WeghorstHojlund, Zirkzee

I think this current squad is definitely more balanced but still inexperienced. This squad is only stronger than the previous ones if everyone stays fit.

Last edited:
It's a difficult one because of finances. I like the fact they've bolstered the base of the team and understand this is a process that won't get fixed in one transfer window.

The only thing we could've done is maybe take on one CB and put the money of the other signing towards the attacking line? But I really like what we've done.

We've gambled on Rashford getting back close to his best. Gambled on Garnacho, Amad, Zirkzee, Hojlund and Antony kicking on and maybe Mount contributing more to the scoresheet.

I'm not too sure Zirkzee was the best option, but it's far too early to make an informed opinion.
Yeah, fair enough and something I agree with - especially the Zirkzee bit. Seems like it should have been an either/or between him and someone like Hojlund, backed up by a more experienced goalscorer perhaps. They’re different profile strikers of course, but will be interesting to see how they plan on integrating them together (or not).

Same as you - maybe we could’ve done a bit more for the attack but im very happy with all this progress in what is their very first window. It’s not been easy for them with the clusterfeck of high salaries and exorbitant transfer fees the previous regime left behind for them to sort out.

It certainly feels like things are progressing, the squad feels more rounded with less chaff, but persistent injury concerns at Left Back will need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I swear that we have a version of this thread every start of the season (and another one where the last transfer window was the best post-SAF). We will eventually be correct.

Sure. We've just come off the back of finishing 8th and our attack is still impotent, but we have our best squad in a decade because we've signed a few defensive players.

We've got a few squads post-Fergie. Hope that this gives you an idea of the many squads we have had.

2015/16 - LVG2017/18 - Mourinho2020/21 - Ole2022/23 - ETH2024/25 - till now
GKDe Gea, RomeroDe Gea, RomeroDe Gea, Henderson, RomeroDe Gea, Dubravka, Butland, HeatonOnana, Bayindir, Heaton
RBValencia, DarmianValencia, DarmianAWB, DalotAWB, DalotDalot, Mazraoui
CBSmalling, Rojo, Blind, JonesSmalling, Rojo, Blind, Jones, Lindelof, BaillyMaguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe, JonesVarane, Martinez, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly,De Ligt, Martinez, Maguire, Yoro, Evans, Lindelof
LBShaw, YoungShaw, YoungShaw, Telles, WilliamsShaw, Malacia, WilliamsShaw, Malacia
DMSchweinsteiger, SchneiderlinMatic, CarrickMatic, FredCasemiro, FredCasemiro, Ugarte
CMCarrick, Herrera, FellainiPogba, Herrera, FellainiPogba, McTominay, VDBMcTominay, Eriksen, SabitzerMainoo, Eriksen
AMMata, LingardMata, Mkhitariyan (till Jan)Bruno, Mata, LingardBruno, VDBBruno, Mount
RWJanuzajLingardGreenwood, James, Elanga, AmadAnthony, Elanga, PellistriAmad, Anthony
LWRashford, DepayRashford, Sanchez (from Jan)Rashford,Rashford, SanchoRashford, Garnacho, Sancho
CFRooney, Martial, ChicharitoLukaku Rooney, MartialMartial, CavaniMartial, Ronaldo, WeghorstHojlund, Zirkzee

I think this current squad is definitely more balanced but still inexperienced. This squad is only stronger than the previous ones if everyone stays fit.
Rooney left in the summer of 2017.

Is anyone else just sick to death of the stroppy bollox posting in every thread?

I get it, you wanted ten Hag fired after the 7-0. You wanted him fired even after the cup final. You want him fired two games into the new season.

Here's the thing though. He isn't going to be fired until at least the end of the season. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you can give it more than two games under the new coaching team, with several new players still bedding in.

If he fails, you'll get plenty of time to jubilantly bang on about how right you were all along.

Bottom line, the owners decided he was getting one more go... so why not just give him that go? You'll get your new manager eventually and then you can finally enjoy the success you seem convinced will instantly arrive.

Is anyone else just sick to death of the stroppy bollox posting in every thread?

I get it, you wanted ten Hag fired after the 7-0. You wanted him fired even after the cup final. You want him fired two games into the new season.

Here's the thing though. He isn't going to be fired until at least the end of the season. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you can give it more than two games under the new coaching team, with several new players still bedding in.

If he fails, you'll get plenty of time to jubilantly bang on about how right you were all along.

Bottom line, the owners decided he was getting one more go... so why not just give him that go? You'll get your new manager eventually and then you can finally enjoy the success you seem convinced will instantly arrive.

This is by far the most stroppy post in here by far. You lot are bizarre :lol:

We finished 8th last season and we still have a shite GK, no LB, average/shite centre midfielders, shite wingers & average strikers.

And lets not forget the shite manager we have.

In what way is this a strong squad.