We have the strongest and most balanced squad post-Fergie

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It doesn't really need much explanation, but I do wonder if people get the same feeling.

Onana - very rounded goalkeeper (worse shot stopper than prime De Gea, but useful in the buildup)
Dalot / Mazroui - two versatile and athletic fullbacks
Shaw - good when fit, obvious concerns about his injury record
Martinez/de Ligt/Yoro - probably the strongest we've been at CB for many many years, and we still have Maguire/Lindelof as backup
Casemiro/Ugarte - defensive midfielder, not one, but two! And each one a completely different type.
Mainoo/Eriksen/Mount - not super exciting options apart from Kobbie, but at least our first choice looks great
Bruno/Mount - got the #10 covered, and I could throw in more players who can do the job there as we love stacking up #10s
Rashford/Garnacho/Amad - whatever is happening with Marcus now, he IS capable of scoring goals, and we're pretty covered on RW as well (funny we've spent 150m on RW and neither of them is even considered here)
Hojlund/Zirkzee as strikers - IMO here we are the weakest as far as "first choice goes" (I have doubts over Rasmus), but still we do have two strikers, plus good cover in Rashford/Bruno for different purposes

In Ole days we used to have much stronger attack (with MMM and Bruno when he joined), but our midfield and defensive line was very poor quality, so I still think we're stronger now. This must be the best, and definitely most balanced squad we had since Fergie left? Ten Hag has been backed plenty, I expect us to start flying really soon.

Potentially. A lot of our first team players are young and promising but haven't reached the required level yet, or new signings who haven't proven themselves here yet.

Only missing 5 more players to be a proper Ten Hag team so we can finally attack the top4.

We are 2 games in and we won one and lost one. It looks a lot of same old same old and we are far from Fergie years.
One thing noone in transfer window accounts for is squad development. In Fergie years we were building on existing squad year by year with just plucking holes and replacing one or two players. The core always stayed the same and players were familiar with each other which meant the could bring out the best of each other.
Every transfer window since the first Moyese year we are looking at quick fixes and adding a lot of players which destroys any squad development that occured in previous year and we are again at square one and I don't think this season will be any different. Plus we have a manager who doesn't have much trust of the fans, board or the players which is not ideal.

Potentially. A lot of our first team players are young and promising but haven't reached the required level yet, or new signings who haven't proven themselves here yet.
Arguably last season it was players already proven on highest level (Rashford, Casemiro, Bruno to an extent) not delivering while the youngesters were pulling the team through the mud. Hojlund also had a great conversion ratio, Dalot was one of the best players of the season. But I do get your point, we are yet to see how the new players bed in. On paper however we look very strong.

Our attacking department is completely hopeless. Hopefully Zirkzee, Hojlund, Garnacho and Amad step up this season as others are absolutely hopeless.

I am excited with the team’s developments; but it still looks like one that will not only get many handsome wins but will also suffer a few horrible defeats. The good thing is that we are heading (slowly?) in the right direction.

We are 2 games in and we won one and lost one. It looks a lot of same old same old and we are far from Fergie years.
One thing noone in transfer window accounts for is squad development. In Fergie years we were building on existing squad year by year with just plucking holes and replacing one or two players. The core always stayed the same and players were familiar with each other which meant the could bring out the best of each other.
Every transfer window since the first Moyese year we are looking at quick fixes and adding a lot of players which destroys any squad development that occured in previous year and we are again at square one and I don't think this season will be any different. Plus we have a manager who doesn't have much trust of the fans, board or the players which is not ideal.
I would disagree. This season we made some sensible moves (although I would've preferred an actual LB instead of Mazroui). CB, CD, and another attacking player in place of McTominay is what we needed. You can question the quality of those players after a season, but I do think we're adressing the right points, especially compared to the previous years in which we made a lot of random moves.

We've made what looks like some decent business in the market this summer but we're still a long way off from saying we've got a balanced squad. We only have a left back for half a season, if we're lucky. The midfield is a mess and the attacking players are incapable of taking chances.
Apart from that we're flying...

It doesn't really need much explanation, but I do wonder if people get the same feeling.

Onana - very rounded goalkeeper (worse shot stopper than prime De Gea, but useful in the buildup)
Dalot / Mazroui - two versatile and athletic fullbacks
Shaw - good when fit, obvious concerns about his injury record
Martinez/de Ligt/Yoro - probably the strongest we've been at CB for many many years, and we still have Maguire/Lindelof as backup
Casemiro/Ugarte - defensive midfielder, not one, but two! And each one a completely different type.
Mainoo/Eriksen/Mount - not super exciting options apart from Kobbie, but at least our first choice looks great
Bruno/Mount - got the #10 covered, and I could throw in more players who can do the job there as we love stacking up #10s
Rashford/Garnacho/Amad - whatever is happening with Marcus now, he IS capable of scoring goals, and we're pretty covered on RW as well (funny we've spent 150m on RW and neither of them is even considered here)
Hojlund/Zirkzee as strikers - IMO here we are the weakest as far as "first choice goes" (I have doubts over Rasmus), but still we do have two strikers, plus good cover in Rashford/Bruno for different purposes

In Ole days we used to have much stronger attack (with MMM and Bruno when he joined), but our midfield and defensive line was very poor quality, so I still think we're stronger now. This must be the best, and definitely most balanced squad we had since Fergie left? Ten Hag has been backed plenty, I expect us to start flying really soon.
Agreed. Also we have all the talent coming through the u18s which hopefully is comparable to Lingard, Morrison and Pogba team with a better end outcome. A season long loan of a Weghorst or Sabitzer established player with a good attitude would be helpful.

To catch Arsenal/City we need the likes of Dalot, Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho and one of Hojlund/Zirkzee to fulfil their full potential.

Only missing 5 more players to be a proper Ten Hag team so we can finally attack the top4.

Potentially challenge for top 4. If everything goes well, we don't have too many injuries and a bit of luck.

The squad is properly balanced with 'doubling' on each position like ETH desired. I don't think it is a title winning squad until we sign a couple of top class attackers or `Ashy finds his form, Garnacho, Amad and Hojlund become more consistent. The attack needs to do a lot better and the midfield & the defense need to support them to do better.

Still, it is a top 3 squad who should play really well & with the depth do really well in cup competitions. Our biggest hindrance is ETH, who still hasn't got the measure of the league and is a bit of a pussy who still asks the team to drop back and defend a 1-1 lead.

Last edited:
Full backs and midfield remain an issue, but the squad is quite good now.

The manager... not so much.

Don't really see it myself. Dragged down too much by the forward options in particular.

No line (GK, Def, Mid, Att) of the starting XI is top 4 best in the league.

Agreed. Also we have all the talent coming through the u18s which hopefully is comparable to Lingard, Morrison and Pogba team with a better end outcome. A season long loan of a Weghorst or Sabitzer established player with a good attitude would be helpful.

To catch Arsenal/City we need the likes of Dalot, Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho and one of Hojlund/Zirkzee to fulfil their full potential.
Spoilt and overrated?

Ten Hag no excuses this season

I'm not sure about that because nobody knows what our left back situation is. It just seems odd to say that our squad is at its most balanced when we've come off the back of a season where we largely played without a natural senior left back and we're going into another one with the same situation.

That only changes if both Shaw and Malacia are found, and if they both remain the same players they were in 22/23. That's four big ifs.

Then you've got question marks about creativity and goals amongst the attackers and the balance in midfield over a long series of matches to add to that.

We're getting closer though. It's not like everything was gonna be fixed this summer and the quality of the squad hopefully improves with time given the number of developing players we have.

It is better balanced on paper but that is dependent on likes of Shaw staying fit.

However we are lacking top class talent, not sure we have anyone who is one of best 3-4 players in their position in the league. We either need some of the younger players to improve dramatically or we need to recruit some top class players or we’ll continue to be a long way off title contenders.

On paper, we’re woefully short of goals in the squad. We’re desperate for a couple of the attackers to kick on / regain their form.

It is better balanced on paper but that is dependent on likes of Shaw staying fit.

However we are lacking top class talent, not sure we have anyone who is one of best 3-4 players in their position in the league. We either need some of the younger players to improve dramatically or we need to recruit some top class players or we’ll continue to be a long way off title contenders.
Bruno is definitely amongst the best 3 or 4 attacking midfielders. I'm not even his biggest fan, but he's up there in that group.

Balance of the squad is looking a lot better post the summer window assuming all the deals which look like they’re going to go through do. Same applies to the age profile.

Remains to be seen on the quality I guess but there’s a number of players with potential there. I refuse to believe this squad shouldn’t be competing for top 4. On them and the manager to deliver that.

I think we are doing many things right. In terms of age profile it's almost too much of the good stuff. If Ugarte takes Casemiro's spot, which I suspect he will, then Bruno becomes our most senior starter at age 29 (soon 30, but still...). In fact, if Shaw continues with his injury problems then Bruno is the only starter older than 26!

But with such a profile comes the harsh reality that most of the players are not good enough right now. I like Garnacho for instance, but if he was 26 years old people would have called last season mediocre at best. We are far more generous when it comes to rating young players, which makes sense of course, but we still need to win and play good football.

Ultimately our team is full of "what ifs" and "good enoughs". I think 2 or 3 of the young ones (U24) need to step up big time this year. If not, then I think that we need to briefly go back to signing one or two "superstars" next summer.

... and the team is one thing, but let's not forget about the manager.

Last edited:
Really don't see it at all. Still so many gaps in the squad and lack that top quality in the final third that can change the course of games or at the very least put games to bed when chances are there. Will be a very long season.

We are too lightweight in attack still. We are missing that someone with an X-factor that will win you a tight game. Hojlund may be someone a few years down the line, but not right now.
We missed a trick by keeping Rashford imo. His salary and squad status suggests that he should have been our difference maker a la Salah, Saka, Son or Haaland, yet he's nowhere near those guys. Ship him to PSG, get Kvara in and this team is completely transformed.
But we still made a significant overhaul and you can't do it all in one window I suppose.

Anyway, I expect us to significantly underperform our xG and xPTS, but all in all, we're heading in the right direction.

That and a Kobbie replacement. There's no one that can cover for him and he ain't playing 50 games. Eriksen is a fossil.

On paper it looks strong, now it’s up to them and EtH to prove it. What I feel is lacking is the x-factor. There are no such players imo, no fantastic striker or world class winger but let’s hope an overall balanced team could compromise for that and we can add those later.

For me that has to be a top 4 squad. I agree with the general quality and balance, the age profile is also really good (Eriksen/Case aside). This is it, this is ETH's team. He needs to make it work, or it'll be someone else's team by January.

For me that has to be a top 4 squad. I agree with the general quality and balance, the age profile is also really good (Eriksen/Case aside). This is it, this is ETH's team. He needs to make it work, or it'll be someone else's team by January.
Agree with that.

ETH - looks incapable of getting us to play well (apart from a 3-4 month period in the middle of his first season here)
Onana - a poor keeper capable of good moments
Forwards - no out and out goal scorers in the squad, but if our attacking players step up and share the load then we might have enough to scrap our way into the top 4