Was that FA Cup win more satisfying than some of our titles?

Martial

Here me out first guys:

That was the first time Manchester City lost any major domestic cup final since 2013, and only the second ever time under the entire Abu Dhabi reign.

That was the second ever time Pep Guardiola lost any major domestic cup final across Barcelona, Bayern Munich, and Manchester City. That only other time was to Mourinho's (and Ronaldo's) Real Madrid.

We defeated Klopp's Liverpool in the quarter-finals with one of the games of the decade, derailing their season at a time when they were leading the Premier League during Klopp's farewell tour, and some of our titles honestly felt like achieving par under Fergie.

With the context of Manchester City's success being bank-rolled entirely by a state, and with 115 charges for breaching the league's financial rules on top of that, and our lack of success due to our board incompetence since then, could it be up there for some people?

Edit: This provoked much more debate than expected. Some interesting and some not so interesting points made. Also I may have been hungover when this thread was made.

Last edited:
No.

You aren't some plucky underdog, who won against all odds Vs a big team.

It was a great win against a great team but you're the biggest, most successful team in the country. This doesn't make your top 5 achievements.

Last edited:
A case can be made for post fergie era but that's about it.

It's not even close. The Fergie era had so many moments that were more memorable than yesterday.

Winning the cup was great, as it always is, but the significance of it is being overblown due to how shite we have been and how low expectations were.

In terms of the joy I felt, maybe, I kind of took things a bit for granted back in the day but after such a disappointing season in the league and CL, it just hit different.

If it's the beginning of an era or a catalyst for change, then sure. Otherwise on it's own, no.

We defeated Klopp's Liverpool in the semi-finals with one of the games of the season, derailing their season at a time when they were leading the Premier League, and some of our titles felt like achieving par under Fergie.

Nope :lol:

We did get spoiled under Fergie, I remember being at OT on the day we won one title and I didn't even bother staying for the trophy presentation because I'd seen it so many times before and preferred to get into the pub quickly

Whereas I'm still watching highlights and random content from Saturday on repeat

We did get spoiled under Fergie, I remember being at OT on the day we won one title and I didn't even bother staying for the trophy presentation because I'd seen it so many times before and preferred to get into the pub quickly

Whereas I'm still watching highlights and random content from Saturday on repeat
Yeah - I don't think OP is being as silly as some people are making out. Some titles 'felt' routine even though none ever really were.

I think a title is always a bigger deal - of course it is - but the context of Saturdays game given how our season has gone, fully expecting to get annihilated and wondering if I'd take a 1-0 defeat if someone offered it before the game started (of course I wouldn't but still some PTSD from getting battered by Palace, Liverpool, etc etc) make it feel pretty miraculous that not only did we win but were fairly comfortable with it at least for 70 minutes. @Martial

No.

You aren't some plucky underdog, who won against all odds Vs a big team.

It was a great win against a great team but you're the biggest, most successful team in the country. This doesn't make your top 5 achievements.

I didn’t know you were a United fan!

A case can be made for post fergie era but that's about it.
Agreed. It’s probably the hardest run we've had in any of our post SAF cup wins. But you cannot compare this to our league and CL triumphs in any shape or form.

Of course not - that’s not to say I didn’t celebrate it perhaps more than I did some of the titles we won back then. Context is everything and back then if we won the league it felt like the ‘norm’ - beating City in a major final certainly hasn’t been the norm recently, particularly after such a wretched season.

I still look back very fondly on beating Liverpool in ‘77. This win is a very nice new addition to that particular series, but let’s not kid ourselves - we need to get back to being genuine title challengers - that’s the pot that matters most to this club.

Yeah - I don't think OP is being as silly as some people are making out. Some titles 'felt' routine even though none ever really were.

I think a title is always a bigger deal - of course it is - but the context of Saturdays game given how our season has gone, fully expecting to get annihilated and wondering if I'd take a 1-0 defeat if someone offered it before the game started (of course I wouldn't but still some PTSD from getting battered by Palace, Liverpool, etc etc) make it feel pretty miraculous that not only did we win but were fairly comfortable with it at least for 70 minutes. @Martial

Ye exactly, Fergie made it feel routine because he did it so many times - obviously a league title is worth more and a much bigger achievement, but the against the odds feeling as a fan on Saturday is difficult to beat.

Even the league cup win last year was elevated as it had been too long since we won anything, didn't used to give a shit about the league cup under Fergie !

This is why emotional fans shiuld t be listened to when it comes to the future of the club. Utterly ridiculous.

The level of fever going on after that FA Cup win typifies how small time some of our fans have become, good gracious!!!

To be honest, it barely registered, at this point I've grown a bit apathetic. I was at my local team watching them crush a "local rival" 3-0. It was glorious.

Can understand the sentiment why it is utterly sweet to finally beat Pep in a cup final. Satisfying in recent times? Sure, especially almost everyone pre game thought we had no chance.

However, let's not get too carried way in the euphoria and compare it with anything pre 2013. We were the giants back then, competing with the other giants on a daily basis was our staple. Nothing more satisfying than that even if we had lost a few semis/finals.

Last edited:
Its among our best ever FA cup wins. I know 1996 and 1985 are special with fans of a certain generation, but this was a special win. I think the abject loss many expected would have been a truly dispiriting occasion, and the manner of the win, with garnacho and mainoo excelling made it very special.

I dont think any cup bar CL can ever trump any title, but its certainly a cup win I'll always remember well

In answer to OP - yes.

Not only because of beating City, or beating Liverpool on the way, but winning because we played really well. It's as simple as that.

And sticking it to the turge of failed manager pundits who are making money off of meaningless soundbites comparing the club to their hayday.

It’s an interesting question and is not as straight forward as some might think.

I remember, clearly , winning the FA cup and then the Cup winners cup. 1992/3 title. 1995 loss to Blackburn. Cantonas kung fu kick. I remember losing 6-3 and 5-0 in a season we won the league, Ferguson teams could capitulate at times. Losing to arsenal 1998 and the 1999 sesson.

That’s just the 90s, but the season we won the league confortably or it was expected is hard to remember. Complacent and almost expecting victory kind of makes you numb to success.

Since Ferguson left, I can remember an awful lot more bad than good. And as bad as things have been this season , the Barca the last year, and the FA cup chaos run (semi final and all) and beating the strongest team in the world in the final by outplaying them (not flucking) when everybody had written us off. Well it’s been some of the fondest and most rewarding games I’ve watched in a long time. Helping derail Klopps sendoff in that FA cup game is particularly sweet. Forlan is fondly remembered for just scoring against Liverpool, I’d like to think ETH navigating us past a pep and Klopp team to victory will get proper recognition, as he’s gotten none from a lot of people.

People talking about standards are kind of really talking sh/t. United are not a super club on the field since Ferguson left. Spending lots of money doesn’t make you a super club on field , I’d of thought Chelsea under Boehly and Woodwards Disneyland , half arsed Galactico transfer policy would have thought people that.

Some fans simply haven’t woken up to the reality of where we are at. If you can’t really enjoy those moments under ETH , why bother following football ? Constantly over focusing on the negatives and some weird relentless aggressive mob lynching going after the manager. It’s part of the culture of the sport , I get that, but people really lose the run of themselves.

Our manager won the FA cup really against all the odds. Everything that could go wrong , had gone wrong this season. We made it to the FA cup final in a similar “seats of your pants” way United got to and won the CL in 1999: ironically it’s closer to the Fergie football of that time cause it was chaos , beautiful chaos. (I’m not saying it’s anywhere near as strong a squad , I’m comparing the drama).

I’d like to see ETH stay. Some people said “a manager can’t come back from this or turn things around” , well the FA cup run says otherwise.

There’s been a lot of mitigating reasons why this season was so poor and while some could argue he could of played his hand better, it doesn’t change the absolute sh/8show he’s had to manage. ABUs and bias media understandably and ignorantly dismiss it out of spite and clickbait motive , but to why objective observer ETH has been given a raw deal in the 2 years he’s been here. And in my view he’s handled it with dignity and confidence that I want from all our managers.

He took over a toxic , divided dressingroom and had to navigate drama after drama from day 1. He’s really popular with most of the squad. He’s helped nurture multiple really talented looking players. He’s won a cup both years he has managed us. He’s been a part of some savage memorable moments. He’s also left us in a really good spot relative to when he took over. Lots of potential and despite the whinging about his signings they are more hit than miss. Only a moron judges an injury plagued player against a manager.

And he seems like a decent enough bloke , not charming full of sh/t manager that people seem to crave. He’s just a football man, not a character which seems to sway the popularity.

I hope he stays and we see what he can do with an injury less season and a proper bunch of professional adults helping him with recruitment and all other aspects that have been neglected under the Glazers.

Whatever happens , I will be fond of him cause he’s been a breath of fresh air.

It's just an FA Cup. Slightly more worth than the League Cup.

Hear me out first guys:

If you'd have pointed out that we hadn't won it for 8 years, that it's our biggest trophy since the Europa and how good you feel because of that, talking with enthusiasm about the club, the joy you felt and how you love being around fellow reds I might have given it some thought.

You barely mentioned us, everything was about City and Liverpool.

So comparing winning a 38 game season versus winning 6 games and half the teams wasn’t even premier quality. Absolutely no way

Its among our best ever FA cup wins. I know 1996 and 1985 are special with fans of a certain generation, but this was a special win. I think the abject loss many expected would have been a truly dispiriting occasion, and the manner of the win, with garnacho and mainoo excelling made it very special.

I dont think any cup bar CL can ever trump any title, but its certainly a cup win I'll always remember well
77 was sweet. It stopped Liverpool doing the treble.