Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager

Looks like Bayern might struggle for top 8 now. Probably have to be flawless in their last 5 or a tough quarter final incoming.

Really naive to go away to Barcelona and setup like that. Can see his inexperience.

He's not a Champions League level manager. He might become one, but he definitely isn't one right now. His Burnley side were pretty poor last season.

He's not a Champions League level manager. He might become one, but he definitely isn't one right now. His Burnley side were pretty poor last season.
I think its more the bayern board's fault. They obviously need better center backs, Tuchel had the same defensive issues

I think it’s more the bayern board's fault. They obviously need better center backs, Tuchel had the same defensive issues

Both can be true. Bayern should’ve strengthened in central defence in the summer, but Komoany also shouldn’t have set up so naively away at Barca.

How does this whole league table work now?
Top 8 go straight into last 16 as seeds. The next 16 playoff to join them.
Bayern will still make the playoff but it means they'll probably play a top 8 team. Also means they'll have played 10 CL games before the last 16 which is crazy.

Top 8 go straight into last 16 as seeds. The next 16 playoff to join them.
Bayern will still make the playoff but it means they'll probably play a top 8 team. Also means they'll have played 10 CL games before the last 16 which is crazy.
This format is an abomination.

How did he get the job? Shocking performance today although not unexpected. Barca made them look slow and old.

Can't say I expected a lot from Kompany at Bayern based on what his Burnley team showed in the PL

I think its more the bayern board's fault. They obviously need better center backs, Tuchel had the same defensive issues
The issue is that recruiting is not that easy when you insist on playing such a high line. You essentially need sprinters across the back line. That's the reason they got rid of De Ligt, too. Not fast enough.

The issue is that recruiting is not that easy when you insist on playing such a high line. You essentially need sprinters across the back line. That's the reason they got rid of De Ligt, too. Not fast enough.

They could have had Tah if they didn't insist on lowballing us.

One way or another, playing a system in which your CBs constantly find themselves in 2v2 situations when those CBs are arguably the worst players in the line up is a fair point of criticism, IMO. Most possession-oriented coaches play three CBs in possession to cover counter attacks. Playing two raises their counterpressing to another level but it also means they can be exposed in an instant despite looking super-dominant.

How did he get the job? Shocking performance today although not unexpected. Barca made them look slow and old.
The list of managers who allegedly turned down Bayern's approach before they talked to Kompany as far as I remember included names like:
Alonso
Nagelsmann (who instead went to manage Germany)
Tuchel (yes, the guy was in contention to become his own replacement)
Flick
Hoeneß (Sebastian, not Uli, but Uli's nephew)
Emery
de Zerbi

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but some made very clear that they wouldn't be interested anyway.

The list of managers who allegedly turned down Bayern's approach before they talked to Kompany as far as I remember included names like:
Alonso
Nagelsmann (who instead went to manage Germany)
Tuchel (yes, the guy was in contention to become his own replacement)
Flick
Hoeneß (Sebastian, not Uli, but Uli's nephew)
Emery
de Zerbi

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but some made very clear that they wouldn't be interested anyway.

Dont forget Ten Hag, there were reports he rejected it too.

You don't really when you have a peak Neuer mopping up everything in behind, you can kind of get away with it. He's lost a bit of pace and looks reluctant to play as high as he used to, he's started dropping deeper and that's left a huge gap between him and his defence. Very hard for any defender to recover with that much space in behind.

I mean they have quick players, Upamecano is meant to be quick, Kim too and also Davies is rapid. If 3/4 of the back 4 are quick, its not an issue.

Brighton play a high line with Dan Burn and Schar. It is a coaching issue rather than recruitment. You cannot play a high line if the team wont press.

We all know Kane will not press so, it kind of defeats the purpose for a high line and no pressure on the ball.

This format is an abomination.

It's absolutely bollocks, previous format was way more exciting. Enshittification.

I kind of like it. Provides more jeopardy for big teams and requires them to be on their A game in the group stage otherwise they risk having to play another play-off.

Would be even better if they kept the format like this but just have the actual champions of each division in Europe in it but that will never happen.

Dont forget Ten Hag, there were reports he rejected it too.

Not only Ten Hag, there were reports on Rangnick, Solskjaer, Mourinho AND van Gaal as well. Seemed as if they just went through the list of United managers chronologically. If Kompany wouldn't have accepted their offer, they probably would have contacted David Moyes and Sir Alex as well.

Not only Ten Hag, there were reports on Rangnick, Solskjaer, Mourinho AND van Gaal as well. Seemed as if they just went through the list of United managers chronologically. If Kompany wouldn't have accepted their offer, they probably would have contacted David Moyes and Sir Alex as well.

Just goes to show the managerial market. There were times they could easily sack a manager and get another top manager in. Alot of clubs want to go with a young coach and whilst they are good coaches, they aren't very flexible, its their way of playing or no way.

So there will be instances where teams get battered. We have seen Arteta follow Pep and try become flexible, Arteta is now going defensive in big games and counter attacking.

We saw Pep make changes in games where he adds in an extra midfielder etc.

Just goes to show the managerial market. There were times they could easily sack a manager and get another top manager in. Alot of clubs want to go with a young coach and whilst they are good coaches, they aren't very flexible, its their way of playing or no way.

So there will be instances where teams get battered. We have seen Arteta follow Pep and try become flexible, Arteta is now going defensive in big games and counter attacking.

We saw Pep make changes in games where he adds in an extra midfielder etc.

Yeah, I think it is principally a good idea to sign somebody of Kompany's profile in the current market. His style of football fits a top club in principle and when you take a look at the most successful managerial appointments in recent years, they have all been young, ambitious coaches who were a bit of a gamble at the time of their signature. As somebody who really, really don't want Bayern to do well, especially not at this particular point in time, I would have preferred somebody like Rangnick over a gamble like Kompany simply because I know Rangnick is a good but not a great coach.

Anyway, I agree that flexibility is becoming much more important again. We are moving away from stubborn systems that proved to be the way to go in the last decade to an extent and many top coaches use atypical approaches in certain games. Personally, I think that Kompany will need to adapt as well. When facing teams who have fast and skillfull attackers, you simply can't leave your CBs exposed like that. The Frankfurt match highlighted that already, now Barca did what they did to them and Madrid would probably rip them to shreds if they can constantly create situations in which Vinicius and Mbappe can engage Kim and Upamecano in 2v2s.

It's great actually.
What’s great about it? Earlier two losses and you’d be on the brink of elimination. Two draws and you’d be in big trouble. Now it’s like you lost again? You’re in…. Group B!!! Or whatever it’s called. Rubbish format for a competition on the wane.

Can't play against Hoffenheim every time Vinny.
We haven’t played them at all so far this season.

Still confident in him. I expected setbacks like this one. But the general direction remains the right one. The sobering truth is, that we simply need more technical quality in the squad. Especially in the offense. But we’ll get there.

They do have the sprinters across the backline actually. The problem is they are all very mistake prone - and also just pretty poor defenders in general, aside from Kim

They could have had Tah if they didn't insist on lowballing us.

One way or another, playing a system in which your CBs constantly find themselves in 2v2 situations when those CBs are arguably the worst players in the line up is a fair point of criticism, IMO. Most possession-oriented coaches play three CBs in possession to cover counter attacks. Playing two raises their counterpressing to another level but it also means they can be exposed in an instant despite looking super-dominant.

Tah isn't quick either.

I wonder if Bayern regret sacking Nagelsman. A good example where the sacking culture in modern football can go wrong.

I wonder if Bayern regret sacking Nagelsman. A good example where the sacking culture in modern football can go wrong.
They sacked the guys who sacked him. You don't have to wonder, we know they do.

Don’t think so. He wasn’t ready at the time. Sacking him was ok, even though the timing was weird. He needed more experience to deal with the media and the internal politics.
I’m sure he’ll manage us again sometime in the future.

What’s great about it? Earlier two losses and you’d be on the brink of elimination. Two draws and you’d be in big trouble. Now it’s like you lost again? You’re in…. Group B!!! Or whatever it’s called. Rubbish format for a competition on the wane.
What group B?

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.

Tah isn't quick either.

Tah ran 35.8 km/h last season which made him the second fastest CB in the league and 13th fastest player overall. He reached a higher top speed than Adeyemi, Coman, Marmoush, Ekitike and Bynoe-Gittens and was tied with Leroy Sané. I was surprised not more top clubs were interested in him, it really was a no brainer for any top club that could use a CB.

Don’t think so. He wasn’t ready at the time. Sacking him was ok, even though the timing was weird. He needed more experience to deal with the media and the internal politics.
I’m sure he’ll manage us again sometime in the future.
It was a terrible decision, no mincing words. I’m not sure it’s automatic he comes back to Bayern if he’s wanted by a big club in England or Spain.