Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just ridiculous. Considering the defensive crisis we had some time ago, I can't imagine what it would be like if we didn't have Vidic at all. Our team isn't at that stage where we can risk it. He's retired from international play. Surely now he can focus on devoting the best of his remaining years to the club.

Also, it's Duncan Castles. He was abysmal over the summer. People ripped into him because he acted like he had big news when he indeed had nothing and trumpeted what others had said. He's done this before and he's doing it again. It's just one of those things that won't go away but I don't see why he'd want to leave or why it would be in his best interest to leave.

We have a young and growing side and we've already lost a considerable amount of experience this summer. Losing even more experience especially in defense would do us more harm than good. Are we in that bad of a situation that we need to sell one of our best players?

Class player our Vida, best headererer (if that's a word) of a ball I've ever seen, you could throw a brick up there and he'd head it out. Don't buy into any of these stories suggesting he's on his way either, if SAF isn't happy with someone he'll bench you not continue to play you before selling at the end of the season, he'll just phase you out without hesitation.

Not bloody likely. If there's someone at the back who is going to clear a place for the younger player it is - unfortunately - Rio, simply because he can't do 50 games a year or whatever. I don't if it is the last chance to make big bucks on Vidic. We're a football club, not a bank. Should we have sold Giggs 10 years ago?

Not bloody likely. If there's someone at the back who is going to clear a place for the younger player it is - unfortunately - Rio, simply because he can't do 50 games a year or whatever. I don't if it is the last chance to make big bucks on Vidic. We're a football club, not a bank. Should we have sold Giggs 10 years ago?

Did we have two young players with clear world class potential in his position?

I can see him being moved on if he's fallen foul of Ferguson - and clearly something murky was going on around the time of the City game - and the only other reason would be to allow Smalling and Jones to play.

I'd be surprised if he goes too, but clearly something is going to happen because eventually Smalling and Jones are going to have to be allowed to form United's future partnership in central defence and I can see them being ready to do so sooner rather than later. Very hard for any club to operate with 5 such excellent options for two spots on the team for any great length of time, surely.

There was nothing murky about the City game, he looked like he was lacking match fitness against Otelul and he got sent-off, it never made any sense to me in build-up to that game to risk him.

I can see him being moved on if he's fallen foul of Ferguson - and clearly something murky was going on around the time of the City game - and the only other reason would be to allow Smalling and Jones to play.

I'd be surprised if he goes too, but clearly something is going to happen because eventually Smalling and Jones are going to have to be allowed to form United's future partnership in central defence and I can see them being ready to do so sooner rather than later. Very hard for any club to operate with 5 such excellent options for two spots on the team for any great length of time, surely.

Nah, feck that. He's the best defender in the world. We're not gonna ship him out to experiment with 2 relative nobodies. If they're good enough, they'll jump the ladder based on their performances. With Rio's problems, we should have enough games to keep the likes of Smalling, Evans and Jones happy.

I know this is a forum but why the hell are we even discussing this.

Best defender in the world currently.

Enough said!

Oh, come on. He just came back from injury, just played in Romania his first game for us for two months - and ended up being sent off, probably because his timing wasn't quite right. It was a decent decision to keep him out of the team that day. There doesn't have to be anything sinister about it, and since then he hasn't been out of it apart from his european suspension.

Seems like some people just love a good conspiracy theory.

Nope, but it would still make no sense to sell Vidic when his partner is already suffering from injuries all the time and will probably never complete a full season, while we still can't field a regular right back. There's plenty of minutes to give the younger lads without damaging the team so much.

There was nothing murky about the City game, he looked like he was lacking match fitness against Otelul and he got sent-off, it never made any sense to me in build-up to that game to risk him.

I didn't say there was anything murky about the game itself. IIRC though, Ferguson was unhappy he'd played for Serbia without his consent (maybe Vuc can confirm this) and he then retired from international duty. Seems strange that it won't go away and has resurfaced in The Times today.

one of the reasons fergie managed to be successful for so long is the way he replaced players at their peak with younger players. It involves a certain risk, like in Stam's case - fergie saw Brown as someone who could take over but it didn t work so well. But things often worked out so well too as when ince, rvn and beckham left. With their departure, younger players rose to the occasion like keane, rooney and ronaldo.

I have no idea what vidic will do at the end of the season, but if fergie believes that a younger upcoming player can replace him, history will repeat itself.....

Oh, come on. He just came back from injury, just played in Romania his first game for us for two months - and ended up being sent off, probably because his timing wasn't quite right. It was a decent decision to keep him out of the team that day. There doesn't have to be anything sinister about it, and since then he hasn't been out of it apart from his european suspension.

You realise I was only reacting to the reports in The Times today, right? FFS, all I said was that if he did move on, they would be the only reasons I could think of why Ferguson would let him go - because they'd fallen out, or because at some point in the future he wants to form a long term partnership with Smalling and Jones.

Nope, but it would still make no sense to sell Vidic when his partner is already suffering from injuries all the time and will probably never complete a full season, while we still can't field a regular right back. There's plenty of minutes to give the younger lads without damaging the team so much.

Minutes where though? I think most United fans will agree that they want to see Smalling and Jones played at CB before too long and that's going to be hard to accommodate with Rio and Vidic still around.

I'm just speculating due to the reports today - I do think that 5 decent centre halves is too much to have for a sustained length of time, and that Jones and Smalling are simply too good to be given 'minutes' here and there...

You realise I was only reacting to the reports in The Times today, right? FFS, all I said was that if he did move on, they would be the only reasons I could think of why Ferguson would let him go - because they'd fallen out, or because at some point in the future he wants to form a long term partnership with Smalling and Jones.

Fair enough. If it comes from the Times, then I just think the paper is talking crap. And if Fergie ever had a problem with Vidic's international career, it's over now anyway. So whatever happened before City, and I don't thing anything actually happened, it would be meaningless.

Minutes where though? I think most United fans will agree that they want to see Smalling and Jones played at CB before too long and that's going to be hard to accommodate with Rio and Vidic still around.

I don't think it would be that hard with Rio around, simply because I can't see him playing more than half our matches in full a season, while Vida is also good for an injury every year. Also, I'm not in a hurry to move Jones inside. He's very inexperienced and I thought his centerhalf performances so far haven't been brilliant. Another year or two of playing at least some of his matches on the right (We can't seem to get Rafael or Fabio fit for a decent amount of time anyway) would be fine.

Even if fans want to see Smalling and Jones at CB that's no reason to ship out the best centre back in the world. He's just 30 and for a defender who doesn't rely on pace it's a great age. I hope we keep him for atleast 4 more years irrespective of how much we might want Smalling and Jones to play there.

Stam was still one of the best centre backs in world football when Fergie shipped him out.

I've supported this wonderful club all through SAF's tenure and nothing shocks or surprises me anymore. Vidic leaving in the summer is more than plausible.

It's possible that any player will leave. I won't say it's 'more than plausible', though, when it comes to a cornerstone like that.

Even if fans want to see Smalling and Jones at CB that's no reason to ship out the best centre back in the world. He's just 30 and for a defender who doesn't rely on pace it's a great age. I hope we keep him for atleast 4 more years irrespective of how much we might want Smalling and Jones to play there.

I don't think any United fan would want to see Vidic leave (nobody wanted Jaap to go either), but the opinion of the supporters won't even come into Fergies thinking if he believes it's curtains for Vidic.

Stam was still one of the best centre backs in world football when Fergie shipped him out.

I've supported this wonderful club all through SAF's tenure and nothing shocks or surprises me anymore. Vidic leaving in the summer is more than plausible.

SAF and all believes it was a very stupid decision. It's very unlikely he hasn't learnt from that gaffe

^^ Exactly. Didn't Fergie say he regards it has his biggest mistake?

There's no chance we'll do the same with Vidic unless he's desperate to leave. You've seen how much of a difference he's made to the side since returning from injury (not that anyone needed to be reminded just how imporant he is).

I'm just speculating due to the reports today - I do think that 5 decent centre halves is too much to have for a sustained length of time, and that Jones and Smalling are simply too good to be given 'minutes' here and there...

Have you heard of injuries and squad rotation and that both can play wing backs.

Smalling and Jones are too young to be our regular pairing.They are very very good but come on, what are you thinking!

and Smalling is needed more at rightback. I enjoy watching Vidic clearing everything in the air and he has added steel to our defence since his return

He is the best defender in the world right now. If Madrid want him and they can turn his head there is very little we can do about it sadly.

I havent seen the rumours but I assume it was Madrid being linked to him. He is a very obvious player for the media to suggest could be on the way, but also it would hardly be a surprise if they were interested

We are very bad at defending set pieces without Vidic and Smalling.

No good bumping this thread every other game we play. Yes he's out best defender. Yes he's the strongest in the air and we're generally not good at defending that way but we should counter that by dominating possession, play a better passing game and attack better.

Stop bumping this thread, it's pointless.

It's obvious we miss him, but there's no point in posting "we miss you Vida" after every goal we concede.

Missing Vidic goes without saying, dont get me wrong

But tonight our midfield looks inept compared to Newcastle. And that is slightly worrying

But tonight our midfield looks inept compared to Newcastle. And that is slightly worrying

Tiote and Cabaye are a good pairing to be fair and the Giggs/Carrick combo has never been the strongest defensively.

vidic needs to be replaced

And as for the midfield........................................:wenger:

No point bumping this thread

Sadly Vidic won't be available any time soon. :(

Our defence is making average attackers look world beaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.