Victor Lindelof image 2

Victor Lindelof Sweden flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

What’s the point in having pace when you just let them run past you?

Learn to spell Maguires name
Also, I’d actually put my money on Maguire in a foot race. One is a little underrated in terms of top speed, bargr in terms of sgility, mind you, and the other one is a very slow flappy armed Swede. Ultimately neither is good enough, but Maguire has some redeeming qualities. Lindelof’s abilities are average at best but below aaverage at most.

An absolutely useless, weak defender who always backs off from the attacker and allows them to shoot. He has always been dreadful.

No wonder Dan tried his best to ship him off in this summer but he played injury to get a free transfer next year.
Wish we can pay some compensation and release him now so he can sign for anyone he likes, that way we can save some on his annual salary,

United cut 300 jobs to save 3 millions and we are paying double that money every year for such a weak player like Lindelof.
He always comes across a very nice person and he could have done well in Spain/Italy but having him here for 8 years shows our ineptness.

What’s the point in having pace when you just let them run past you?

Learn to spell Maguires name

It’s very rare that anyone runs past Lindelof. It’s tricky when he always gives himself 10 yards of space and continues to back off until they have a clear shot on goal (or Maguire steps in).

He has at least one dedicated fanboy, who literally has 100s/1000s of posts in each of his performance threads defending Lindelof over the past 6-7 years. It's been said many times that some of his fans are better defenders than the Swede himself. I mean look at the bolded bit below, where does he get this reputation?

No offence but how can people still have this opinion? I can name you several high profile games, Europa League semi final against Seville 2020, Europa League Final 2021 and FA Cup Final last year. Check out the highlights yourself and see where he did his usual thing of being 'involved' aka was in the vicinity of but did nothing to affect the first goals conceded. All games we lost. Of the other 3 finals he didn't start or play a minute in, we won 2. It's not a coincidence.

That's not even getting into the hundreds of mediocre regular league or cup games to choose from.
What are you drinking?
Tbf to the poster, there are a few with an abnormally high count of onsided negative posts about Lindelöf as well. I fon’t know if it’s fair to call them haters, I suspect rather they fall into a tendency of wanting to straighten some perceived imbalance and maybe sometimes get a bit carried away, sometimes remember better what confirms their stance than the opposite etc. I suspect this is the case for both sides of the argument. At least I am pretty sure most of my posts abou Lindelöf have not come because I think he is one of the best Utd defenders, I have always hoped that he would in time be replaced by better players. But I’ve felt the need to balance out what I perceived as overly amounts of unfair criticism, generalisations and hyperbole.

If I should summarize my view of Lindelöf’s carreer, it would be that he looked like a 7/10 talent for Benfica, played 7 and 8/10 performances for Sweden for several years, was a 4/10 player his first Utd season, a 6/10 player the next half season, then had several season being very consistent 7/10 levels with a few periods with several months 8/10 where IMO he was one of our type 3 best players for those spells. Then for me he fell backwards towards the end of Solskjær, had a 6/10 period under Rangnick which tbf wasn’t bad clmoared to many teammates, and then a 7/10 season as a back up under Ten Hag year I. Last season was a big disappointment for me, I’d rate him 5/10 when not injured.

I don’t mind that many of you disagree. I’ve taken a special interest in Lindelöf as a Scandi rival and likeable character. That doesn’t prevent me from seeing him as oftentimes nervous, but also for most of the time quite brave in fighting that nervousness. He falls in the trap of being too passive too often, the upside is that he keeps his position more often than many of his colleagues. He is not strong for a CB, a bit weak by PL standards physically. Still, he has done well in most duels in his good periods by chosing his fights, getting the timing right and going all in when he went. He’s probably a player that needs to play at the top of his game to not be a weakness in a league like PL, so when he has struggled with self belief, he really struggles with his whole game. He is undoubtedly one of the players all our managers could count on to be loyal, professional and focussed though, which must have been a plus with some of the dressing room issues we’ve had.

I should wish for that his remainder at Utd enda with balanced views. He was never a great buy or a key player going forward, but he has never been a problem at this club, he has been a steadfast servant to the club and doesn’t really deserve any disrespect.

Lindelöf himself should focus on playing football instead of seattle as 6th choice CB. I don’t see any hunger or will to fight from him.

If he want to continue playing first eleven football he should have done like McTominay.

You are 30 years old, an average player, age is catching up and probably have 5 years of income left, would you stay a year to run your contract and earn 6m or would you drop your wages by 50% and move on?

It's very easy as fans to say, go play elsewhere. But given he is at the last stretch of his career, I kind of get why he is staying. He probably also thinks that someone will get injured and he may get a few games here an there.

Would be great if a Saudi team came in with a 3/4m offer to take him on the same wage otherwise I cannot see him moving till his contract expires. At least he won't be getting appearance fee payments.