VAR and Refs | General Discussion

The only reason it wasn't done immediately was because of the pitch invasion, the big story is the shocking security in the stadium

The goal was probably ruled out in the usual quick-ish fashion after it was scored, but they did not announce it officially until the stadium was cleared. After all, the fans already were going ballistic enough to stop the game and decide to empty the stadium before continuing the game.
Could have been.

I don’t like that fans dictate how the matches are run, as much as I don’t like VAR management generally.

Really dangerous precedent to set. I know it happened with United already but two hours? What’s the cut off? Days?
The game hadn't finished though. He would’ve disallowed it straight away if the Moroccan fans hadn’t gone batshit.

But I’ve got no clue why they didn’t clear up the misunderstanding immediately. Commentators assumed it was over and all the official graphics were showing the full time result and the group table etc.

Really dangerous precedent to set. I know it happened with United already but two hours? What’s the cut off? Days?

The game got suspended and the players and officials taken off the pitch due to the fans behaviour, the ref had to wait inside until the stadium was cleared and it was safe to return to the pitch before he could come back out and carryout the on-field review.

Any new refereeing initiative or interpretation will last as long as the first international break, then everything will revert to as before. It happens every year.

Do they plan on using the same VAR tech that was used in the olympics anytime soon?

Arsenal are fecked.

Ahh so this is the rule that will be made an example of 3 times in the first 4 weeks and then completely ignored for the rest of the season.

They will be sure to penalise United for it before it gets forgotten about anyway

Just release the fecking audio
Yeah it’s still very much going to be stage managed. They’re not going to relinquish control of the narrative any time soon.

My bet is that there is going to be controversy around a decision which then highlights the inconsistency between what this Twitter account reports and what actually happens between the VAR officials.

Yeah it’s still very much going to be stage managed. They’re not going to relinquish control of the narrative any time soon.

My bet is that there is going to be controversy around a decision which then highlights the inconsistency between what this Twitter account reports and what actually happens between the VAR officials.

They really need to learn from sports like Rugby. Once you have transparency that allows respect to be built as well.

That's such a stupid rule that will make the game much harder to officiate as you're introducing so much more subjectivity
It's not a stupid rule, if it was allowed elsewhere on the pitch we might as well as call the game rugby.

Players will keep doing it until they start getting penalised, when they start getting yellow cards (and red cards for mulriple offences) and concede 3 penalties in the first 15 mins a game it'll disappear.

It's beyond a joke these days, defenders don't even look at the ball half the time, they just grapple with their opponent, and some of the attackers are just acting like NFL backs blocking the path to the ball for one of their colleagues, every team does it and United are just as guilty as the rest are

I don’t think that’s how it worked in rugby. The players treated the ref with loads more respect than footballers, going back years before the introduction of video technology.

Rugby referees from what I've seen talk to the players like adults and explain decisions clearly and succinctly. I don't know the particulars about the history of refereeing in rugby but in order to have respect you need that openness and honesty. A lot of PL refs come across as divas or authoritarians

Rugby referees from what I've seen talk to the players like adults and explain decisions clearly and succinctly. I don't know the particulars about the history of refereeing in rugby but in order to have respect you need that openness and honesty. A lot of PL refs come across as divas or authoritarians

It cuts both ways. Rugby players have always treated refs with great respect, so are treated like adults. Footballers have always behaved like brats, so get treated like children. I don't know how such a longstanding issue gets fixed but I seriously doubt releasing any more VAR audio footage will make a jot of difference.

It cuts both ways. Rugby players have always treated refs with great respect, so are treated like adults. Footballers have always behaved like brats, so get treated like children. I don't know how such a longstanding issue gets fixed but I seriously doubt releasing any more VAR audio footage will make a jot of difference.
Releasing the audio leads to transparency both on the pitch and in the VAR room. Once players and refs know they are miced up and the audio is freely available to the public they will be forced to step their game up or be chastised in front of the world. Players will curse less and be less petulant and the same for refs. A transparent system is more likely to lead to better outcomes.

They are in great form already

That's such a stupid rule that will make the game much harder to officiate as you're introducing so much more subjectivity

It's not a change of the rules. They just let everyone away with murder for some reason.

But it'll be the usual as many have pointed out. They tried this a few seasons ago and gave out a few pens in the first few weeks and the promptly forgot about it after a month or so.

It's not a change of the rules. They just let everyone away with murder for some reason.

But it'll be the usual as many have pointed out. They tried this a few seasons ago and gave out a few pens in the first few weeks and the promptly forgot about it after a month or so.
Harry Kane loved it, made him the top scorer at the WC in 2018!

Yet, they have not addressed the main problems,

The inconsistency of VAR's because so called "interfering only for clear mistakes". It is vague and subject to whim of the VAR ref.

Also, the VAR refs being buddies with the on-field refs leading to them deciding to not interfere because it shows the on-field ref making a stupid mistake.

Using slow-mo videos to decide red cards and penalties.

They have taken the example of cricket. Back when the third umpire for runouts was decided, there was a bit of noise that it was a bit of insulting to the elite umpires of the game. In a few years, umpires completely stopped giving runout decisions without consulting the third umpire, because the video replay greatly assisted in accuracy of the decision.

In fairness Diallo should have been booked too. Splendid dive though, would make the chinese proud. Or Robben

Referee Rob Jones was shocking tonight. Allowed numerous fouls by Fulham players to go unpunished, as well as denying Amad and Maguire penalties in the first half.

Referee Rob Jones was shocking tonight. Allowed numerous fouls by Fulham players to go unpunished, as well as denying Amad and Maguire penalties in the first half.
The only shocking thing is your post

Pathetic red, to be honest. Brereton Diaz instigated it, and Schar should be able to control himself better, but to give red for that and then nothing to Diaz is ridiculous.

Didn't take long.

Pathetic red, to be honest. Brereton Diaz instigated it, and Schar should be able to control himself better, but to give red for that and then nothing to Diaz is ridiculous.

Didn't take long.
Diaz was booked for the initial push