VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Posh Red

Do you watch rugby or cricket? They both seem to have adapted really well to delayed decisions. This is not meant as some kind of gotcha, sports are all subtly different and perhaps some lend themselves to VAR and others don’t. Point being, I think a) VAR itself will improve, and b) we will get used to it.
I don’t to be honest. So perhaps there’s some truth in that, but I find it hard to ever envision being really happy with VAR. I’m sure it will
Improve though.
Also, I don’t feel like those sports ever had moments equivalent to the goal celebrations in football anyway, but could be wrong.

Jev

Do you watch rugby or cricket? They both seem to have adapted really well to delayed decisions. This is not meant as some kind of gotcha, sports are all subtly different and perhaps some lend themselves to VAR and others don’t. Point being, I think a) VAR itself will improve, and b) we will get used to it.
I don’t see how this is a point in VAR’s favour. You get used to writing with your left hand if you lose your right arm in an accident. Doesn’t mean it improved your life.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

I think you’re looking back with rose tinted glasses a little. If you looked back to a bad decision (pre VAR) at Utd you’d easily have 100 enraged people for every “them’s the breaks” post.
I'm sorry but the idea that you have to keep your hands behind your back because a pen will be given against you if your hands is in a natural running position is destroying the game. The same would be said with giving a goal offside for a toenail. If this is the way we are going with football we might as well wrap it up now.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I don’t see how this is a point in VAR’s favour. You get used to writing with your left hand if you lose your right arm in an accident. Doesn’t mean it improved your life.
Poor choice of words, maybe. If you get used to it but still hate it then yes. But you have to acknowledge, the majority of people react quite poorly to change, and it’s not necessarily because the change itself was the problem. Again, the above sentence can be true, and yet still not apply in this specific case, so there’s no right or wrong. I guess I err on the side of viewing the current problems as primarily a rules issue (in the case of handballs) or a speed issue (in the case of offsides). If I’m right then both of these can be fixed, allowing us to keep the accuracy of VAR without changing the fan experience too much. I’m possibly being hopelessly optimistic, I’m aware!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I'm sorry but the idea that you have to keep your hands behind your back because a pen will be given against you if your hands is in a natural running position is destroying the game. The same would be said with giving a goal offside for a toenail. If this is the way we are going with football we might as well wrap it up now.
I agree with the handball thing- but I’d argue it should result in a rule change rather than scrapping VAR and having obvious fouls, violent conduct, and offsides consistently missed by the officials. Because that is what we’d be going back to.

ROFLUTION

"Need bad to experience good" is a bizarre argument. People are now literally arguing they're fine with bad decisions to spare some VAR intervention.
No. You just live in a World where you forgot which emotions football and honest/dishonest football feels. Football should reflect life, not be a PC polished version of life. It should be in the moment.
Everything around us in everyday is digested and feelings are stripped from it before it entere consumers in a polished way. Original football before VAR was raw and honest. And that includes injustices at times.

Football before VAR was brilliant, yet you try to make sense of VAR - probably in logic ways - but football has for centuries been loved for it’s heat of the moment … the passion, not the technicalities.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No. You just live in a World where you forgot which emotions football and honest/dishonest football feels. Football should reflect life, not be a PC polished version of life. It should be in the moment.
Everything around us in everyday is digested and feelings are stripped from it before it entere consumers in a polished way. Original football before VAR was raw and honest. And that includes injustices at times.

Football before VAR was brilliant, yet you try to make sense of VAR - probably in logic ways - but football has for centuries been loved for it’s heat of the moment … the passion, not the technicalities.
If this is where you're coming from, we're miles apart on this subject.

VAR didn't take away the passion for me. It's not even needed for each goal!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
They're just chucking yellow cards around like confetti at this Euros. Griezmann and Rabiot just booked for next to nothing, and we've seen similar in other games.

Given how draconian the suspension rules are as well, it's just ridiculous having players miss key games in a tournament for things that are barely fouls.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Faking head injuries is one of the biggest blights in the game now.

Players know that if there is an opposition limb within 2 feet of their head they can just throw their hands to their face, scream, and get an automatic free-kick. It's ridiculous.