VAR and Refs | General Discussion

chris123

I think he was just about in line with the ball when the Newcastle player heads it but the ball hits the Arsenal defender and actually hits the Newcastle player before it rolls to Gordon. At the point when it hits the Newcastle player, I think Gordon was ahead of the ball but I don't think VAR even checked it.
VAR said no conclusive evidence on when the ball made contact supposedly, so I guess that's fine!

Hughes35

The bit you've highlighted in bold is only relevant for Garnacho's pass into the area isn't it? Maguire isn't offside for that. And there's no one the Fulham defender is getting to Garnacho from the free kick with Maguire there or not.
No, Maguire and the defender both challenge for the original cross.

Someone

Something
I don't like it anymore. We're getting so many mistakes and subjective opinions. I'm never happy when we score because I have to wait for every fecking goal to be confirmed first. Hate it.

Anustart89

Straight arms in the back are always given as a foul
Not if the player bends over by himself to try to head the ball backwards. There isn't anything there showing that the arms pushed him over at all. Not a clear and obvious error IMO.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
VAR said no conclusive evidence on when the ball made contact supposedly, so I guess that's fine!
They told BBC commentators that they couldn’t draw the lines as there were too many players in the way.

That’s now the second offside call given against us where it’s been confirmed that the lines simply haven’t been drawn.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Our goal against Brighton should have stood.

We have been shite but in half our PL games, the refs have been a joke and you barely hear a thing about it. Meanwhile, the scousers get one unlucky break and they're ready to sue.

We had the Brighton goal, the Spurs penalty, the Arsenal goal and then the City penalty.

All of these decisions were key and we could easily have another 3-6 points more and be level with the Arse. Absolutely criminal from the refs.

And funnily enough, it's Newcastle and City who always seem to get the benefit of the doubt.

ManUnitedCanuck

They told BBC commentators that they couldn’t draw the lines as there were too many players in the way.

That’s now the second offside call given against us where it’s been confirmed that the lines simply haven’t been drawn.
But but it all evens out in the end, is what we are told

Withnail

I think he was just about in line with the ball when the Newcastle player heads it but the ball hits the Arsenal defender and actually hits the Newcastle player before it rolls to Gordon. At the point when it hits the Newcastle player, I think Gordon was ahead of the ball but I don't think VAR even checked it.
Neville said they couldn't determine the point at which Joelinton made contact with the ball so they couldn't adjudicate on the offside one way or the other.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just amazes me TV companies regularly boast about endless camera angles in games they cover. Yet they can't find one to define whether a goal goes out on the touchline clearly?

If you can put them on goallines then they should have some hovering over the corner flags that give clear images on when balls go in/out.

Was same in World cup with the goal Japan scored v Germany which looked clearly out.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Gabriel was looking for a foul. Not giving him one was definitely not a “clear and obvious error” that’s for sure.
If you push an opponent in the back with both hand when he’s defending on the goal line, it’s a foul. Whether Gabriel was “looking for it” is irrelevant.

Anustart89

Yep. That’s the only possible explanation, well done mate.
You don't seem interested in elaborating on how it's clear and obvious that the ball is over the line so I can only assume you're just having a general moan because your team just had the clear and obvious bar work against you.

Anustart89

If you push an opponent in the back with both hand when he’s defending on the goal line, it’s a foul. Whether Gabriel was “looking for it” is irrelevant.
If you look at the incident Gabriel isn't pushed over. He leans forward by himself to try to head the ball behind him. The arms are in the back but they're not the reason he ends up in that position.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
You don't seem interested in elaborating on how it's clear and obvious that the ball is over the line so I can only assume you're just having a general moan because your team just had the clear and obvious bar work against you.
You’re free to assume what you like.

Withnail

Looking for a foul has never been a reason not to give a foul
It looked like Gabriel felt the hands on this back and threw his legs back into Joelinton. As the goal had been given there wasn't enough in it to over-rule the onfield decision.

To be honest, I'm happy enough they decided they didn't have enough evidence to rule the goal out. It'd be preferable if they admitted this and let other marginal goals stand. It seems like some of them guess and rule out goals unnecessarily.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It looked like Gabriel felt the hands on this back and threw his legs back into Joelinton. As the goal had been given there wasn't enough in it to over-rule the onfield decision.

To be honest, I'm happy enough they decided they didn't have enough evidence to rule the goal out. It'd be preferable if they admitted this and let other marginal goals stand. It seems like some of them guess and rule out goals unnecessarily.
It doesn't seem like it , that's exactly what they do