United's transfer budget and current FFP/PSR concerns

I totally agree with this, but when you are £5-£6 million apart in your valuation for your top midfield target then surely you get the deal done?

If it’s a £20-£30 million difference then of course walk away, but potentially sabotaging your season to prove a point over £5-£6 million?

As hard as it gets a to take, that’s probably the best way to make the point we won’t overpay anymore, when it does seem like minimal amounts like £5-6m. That way clubs will think, well if they aren’t willing to budge over £5m then they certainly aren’t going to be throwing silly money about anymore. A new precedent is then set going forward.

The days when £5-6m is nothing to us are long gone.
£5M was never nothing for us, we walked away from Perisic because of that much, despite Mourinho really wanting him

But if we throw the season away and miss out on Champions League again, we will lose much more than 5mil, so it is all a matter of perspective

Given how we are paying everything over 4-5years, 5mil difference is not an FFP problem for us. The real problem is the fact that we have useless players in those positions who we are paying insane wages and are incapable of moving on

£5M was never nothing for us, we walked away from Perisic because of that much, despite Mourinho really wanting him

But if we throw the season away and miss out on Champions League again, we will lose much more than 5mil, so it is all a matter of perspective

Given how we are paying everything over 4-5years, 5mil difference is not an FFP problem for us. The real problem is the fact that we have useless players in those positions who we are paying insane wages and are incapable of moving on
The club is making losses unlike the mid 2010s. Every £5m counts.

No one player guarantees the difference between CL and no CL.

The club is making losses unlike the mid 2010s. Every £5m counts.

No one player guarantees the difference between CL and no CL.
Yes but a lack of a quality DM does guarantee we will not make it

I totally agree with this, but when you are £5-£6 million apart in your valuation for your top midfield target then surely you get the deal done?

If it’s a £20-£30 million difference then of course walk away, but potentially sabotaging your season to prove a point over £5-£6 million?

I know we're all numb to numbers at this point and it-is-not-our-money but in absolute terms 5m£ is quite the bag of coins.

Not sure it's just a matter of principle and it might reflect real budgetary constraints.

Comments like this are so unhelpful and ill informed.

We'd probably be in much worse condition if that was true. Very unlikely we'd have got Yoro, would have signed another bunch of past it players on huge wages, and I doubt there would have been any effort to refurb Carrington or start the new stadium project.
have we got players in before the start of the season? no. explain how that's good

Because of those clowns we are where we are. No money and high earners with long contracts. If INEOS do their job maybe in 2 seasons its looking brighter but how is it their fault?
just buy the players they want... pretty easy. if they don't want them, look elsewhere. under a week until our PL starts and we've got almost no one (fit) in... we need a goal scorer and a midfielder and we haven't signed anyone

how about getting the players they are chasing... and one of the two in is out until 2025

how about getting the players they are chasing... and one of the two in is out until 2025
Are you some kind of troll? Or just thick? They've got all the players they are chasing, and it's extremely likely that Yoro is going to be back before 2025.

Go outside and touch grass ya melt

Are you some kind of troll? Or just thick? They've got all the players they are chasing, and it's extremely likely that Yoro is going to be back before 2025.

Jaysus have a pint or something

so they've got the two Bayern players? when did that happen? and they're back in for branthwaite according to multiple sources. did I miss that? and "touch grass"... this isn't some teen's social media.oh, and the club announced Yoro is out til the new year, try to keep up

so they've got the two Bayern players? when did that happen? and they're back in for branthwaite according to multiple sources. did I miss that? and "touch grass"... this isn't some teen's social media.oh, and the club announced Yoro is out til the new year, try to keep up
Looks at the news today about Mazraoui and De Ligt.

Yoro is meant to be back in 3 months, so could be back October/November.

Ignoring you know because you obviously get your football news from places like the Sun and Teamtalk if you think we're back in for Branthwaite.

Looks at the news today about Mazraoui and De Ligt.

Yoro is meant to be back in 3 months, so could be back October/November.

Ignoring you know because you obviously get your football news from places like the Sun and Teamtalk if you think we're back in for Branthwaite.
Irony of telling someone to keep up. :lol:

never played it, numb nuts... maybe explain how chelsea and spurs have got big deals done instead of being a tw@t
Technically Spurs can spend loads because they've been run on a tight budget since forever, they just don't because they're run on a tight budget.

Chelsea are seemingly betting the future of the club on these transfers. They are technically compliant with PSR because when you sign a player it doesn't actually cost you anything, you spend £50m on a player but you then have a £50m asset on your books. That 'asset' amortises over the length of the contract, so if that £50m player is on a 5 year contract it doesn't cost you anything now according to PSR, but it does cost you £10m per season over the next 5 years. Chelsea have been balancing their books over the last couple of seasons by selling players, players signed under Abramovich who have no/virtually no book value and academy players like Mount. The problem they face is over the next few years their player amortisation will be huge but they are running out of assets to sell to balance the books. When Boehly and Clearlake first bought the club their strategy was to put players on very long contracts, which does help in the short term but just kicks the can further down the road as it reduces the clubs spending power in 6, 7, 8 years time. To compound their problems they are doing shit in the league aren't even reaching the CL, which means more player sales to balance the amortisation of spending they've already made.

Technically Spurs can spend loads because they've been run on a tight budget since forever, they just don't because they're run on a tight budget.

Chelsea are seemingly betting the future of the club on these transfers. They are technically compliant with PSR because when you sign a player it doesn't actually cost you anything, you spend £50m on a player but you then have a £50m asset on your books. That 'asset' amortises over the length of the contract, so if that £50m player is on a 5 year contract it doesn't cost you anything now according to PSR, but it does cost you £10m per season over the next 5 years. Chelsea have been balancing their books over the last couple of seasons by selling players, players signed under Abramovich who have no/virtually no book value and academy players like Mount. The problem they face is over the next few years their player amortisation will be huge but they are running out of assets to sell to balance the books. When Boehly and Clearlake first bought the club their strategy was to put players on very long contracts, which does help in the short term but just kicks the can further down the road as it reduces the clubs spending power in 6, 7, 8 years time. To compound their problems they are doing shit in the league aren't even reaching the CL, which means more player sales to balance the amortisation of spending they've already made.
agree with lots of that... but spurs have spent pretty big, just not hugely flashy. Not sure why we can't find loopholes like CIty and Chelsea. I keep hearing that time will catch up with chelsea, but it never seems to happen. Maybe I just miss the days when SAF would say I want "x" and the club went out to get him (RvP being one that comes to mind) but as I say, you are not wrong

agree with lots of that... but spurs have spent pretty big, just not hugely flashy. Not sure why we can't find loopholes like CIty and Chelsea. I keep hearing that time will catch up with chelsea, but it never seems to happen. Maybe I just miss the days when SAF would say I want "x" and the club went out to get him (RvP being one that comes to mind) but as I say, you are not wrong

You can't escape gravity, numbers are numbers and it will catch up with them in the end.

After Gallagher who is left to balance the books? Reece James? Some signings who may be close to full amortisation like Chilwell? Their ground only holds 40,000 and they not even playing in the Europa League let along the CL, where is the money going to come from?

You can't escape gravity, numbers are numbers and it will catch up with them in the end.

After Gallagher who is left to balance the books? Reece James? Some signings who may be close to full amortisation like Chilwell? Their ground only holds 40,000 and they not even playing in the Europa League let along the CL, where is the money going to come from?
good question.. I just fear they'll put off any punish just like City

Christ, made me think I'd missed some big news then whilst engrossed in the match.

This place is making me paranoid :lol:
You’ve made a right tit of yourself on this thread mate, why are you trying to pick fights with everyone? Very strange

just buy the players they want... pretty easy. if they don't want them, look elsewhere. under a week until our PL starts and we've got almost no one (fit) in... we need a goal scorer and a midfielder and we haven't signed anyone
We’ve bought a secondary striker. We ain’t buying more

We’ve bought a secondary striker. We ain’t buying more
As understand it, Zirkzee isn't a no.9... I'm worried - as I was (rightly) exactly a year ago - where the goals are going to come from. I wouldn't put 10p on Rashford getting more than 10 in all competitions. I guess this is why we are still being linked to Toney (a recognised no.9 although not my favourite player) and Ferguson (for a back-up handful)