Music Underappreciated Albums

Beck - Sea Change. Where Beck goes all Nick Drakey. Moody, angst-ridden, but beautiful at times:

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad. At his soulful best, this has Gypsy Woman, Buzzin’ Fly, Strange Feeling, and this beauty:

Tom Waits - Alice. Definitely one of his less celebrated efforts, it’s atmospheric as feck with some classics thrown in:

Zero 7 - Simple Things. Is it underrated? I love it so much I obviously think so, but maybe everyone thinks it’s as great as I do, I’m not sure.,,

Yes, a really good album this. The first album was decent too - a bit less polished, but Desire and Missiles are great songs.

A couple of my more obscure favourites: -

David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive
Rare Bird - Epic Forest

Less obscure, but I'll mention them anyway: -

Television - Marquee Moon
Magazine - Definitive Gaze

aztec-camera-love.jpeg

Some lovely shouts on here!

Off the top of my head and some of these are very popular to be fair!

The Jayhawks- quiet corners and empty spaces
The magnetic fields - 69 love songs
Early roots manuva
Beck- sea change and mutations
Cloud nothings- attack on memory
Aphex twin- selected ambient works
Love- forever changes
Edan- beauty and the beat
Warpaint- the fool
Kurt Vile- waking on a pretty daze
Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings - time the revelator
Bonobo- black sands
Tame impala- Lonerism
The replacements- let it be or tim are both great
The Dandy Warhol’s- come down

That’s loads, sorry lads : )

Seems to be underrated even among the mass of Kozelek's other stuff but the album he did with Jimmy LaValle in 2013 is one of the best folktronica albums around.

Rage Against the Machines cover album, Renegades, is spectacular. I listen to it nearly every day either on my commute or in the gym. Still sounds so fresh.... I miss Rage, I feel their antics at their end and their profanity got most of the headlines and took away from their work. The current political climate would make for interesting material.

Rage Against the Machines cover album, Renegades, is spectacular. I listen to it nearly every day either on my commute or in the gym. Still sounds so fresh.... I miss Rage, I feel their antics at their end and their profanity got most of the headlines and took away from their work. The current political climate would make for interesting material.
I'm still so glad I got to see them live. Their energy was incredible. And yeah, their music is, sadly enough, still very relevant.

It always tickled me that RATM sincerely believed they could spearhead a political revolution with their music. De La Rocha has a P.hD and Morello went to Harvard but they were very very naive in that belief.

Seen them too, one of the best shows I've seen in my life.
And it's just been them on the stage playing. Not even a real lightshow or anything. Just a bunch of angry guys with loads of energy.

It always tickled me that RATM sincerely believed they could spearhead a political revolution with their music. De La Rocha has a P.hD and Morello went to Harvard but they were very very naive in that belief.

Better than doing nothing though, certainly better than the manufactured garbage we are fed more and more lately? I doubt they believed they could change the world but they certainly got me thinking more about the world and politics in general. They even predicted Trump for President back in 1998.

I'm still so glad I got to see them live. Their energy was incredible. And yeah, their music is, sadly enough, still very relevant.

Sadly never got to see them live, did get to see Audioslave though so can only imagine how much energy Zak brought to the band. Actually I think Audioslave is underrated too, Cornell's voice is simply on a different level.

Did Rage ever claim they were aiming to spearhead political revolution, in those words? For me, and lots of people, they were a gateway into more political music as well as just getting people to think about what's going on for themselves. My mum and step dad are racist Tories so if Rage didn't lead me to punk rock, then maybe I'd have been a racist Tory too. I imagine they gave a lot of their fan base a bit of social awareness, if they didn't have it already, so I guess they achieved what they set out to do.

Back on topic, Renegades is great. I feel that any Rage album that isn't the first LP is underrated. Evil Empire in particular, though they're all excellent.