Music Underappreciated Albums

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking for new music to listen to, so....

Pick an album you think is underappreciated and tell me why you like it.

Preferably either albums that people might not have heard of or albums that people unfairly dismissed.

Listen to either Reconstruction Site or Left & Leaving by The Weakerthans.

Not really under appreciated in Canada where they're from but haven't really made it over here. But he writes some great lyrics and is a really good songwriter and as a whole the band is great.

Not really underappreciated but generally unnoticed by mainstream media: First, The Dear Hunter released Act 5 of their on going saga last summer. Amazing music, if you're into that kind of stuff. The second one is Arrows and Anchors by Fair To Midland, a bit heavier but full of quality. Both albums are very good examples of what prog rock is all about: pluralism, open mindedness, lots of different ideas and styles combined together in order to create something unique.

Debut album from The Associates - The Affectionate Punch

It's new wave/post-punk with unique vocals from Billy Mackenzie and great musicianship from multi-instrumentalist Alan Rankine. Paul Morley of the NME was kind of right when he said it was 'a kind of masterpiece'. Amused as Always and Paper House my highlights from it.

There's only a couple of posts on here mentioning Protomartyr, one by me and some by @Olly and others. Last year's record, 'The Agent Intellect', is really, really good. I'm still listening to it a few times a week.

Piledriver by Quo...

Although, it's getting a bit more praise these days
What is this status quo? I've only heard about them this on the caf. And I think there's one particular poster who is a huge fan. That's you isnt it?

Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock by Talk Talk.

Bold decision to scrap the synthy pop for something more "experimental", they're 2 of the most purely beautiful records I've ever listened to.

From personal experience, Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette. Whenever I mention it as one of my favourite albums, it always gets me a funny look.

From personal experience, Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette. Whenever I mention it as one of my favourite albums, it always gets me a funny look.
Brilliant album, my wife's favourite of all time. Had it on in the car just last week and there are some brilliant tracks on it.

Sone of my own off the top of my head;

Laid by James
Conditions by Temper Trap
Falcon by The Courteeners
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place by Explosions In The Sky
Tracy Chapman by Tracy Chapman

bSSyQEzl.jpg

When people mention post-punk, they talk about Joy Division, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen etc, but The Sound should have been up there with them. They're got lots of good records, but I think From The Lion's Mouth is probably the best.

It's an absolute banger. People who don't give it the time of day are only missing out.

What sort of music do you normally listen to @sullydnl?

A friend of mine and I were discussing the first Queens of the Stone Age album last week and we both agreed that it's excellent, though often overlooked. Although Nevermind is famous, I think Bleach is the best Nirvana album by a distance. Mystery Jets latest one The Curve of the Earth is good and it has lovely album artwork - I got it on vinyl as a present from my girlfriend a few months back. Also, Our Earthly Pleasures by Maximo Park - it's a pretty famous album, but none of my mates are really into it.

As far as less well known bands go - I'm a fan of Twisted Wheel. They only have one self-titled album and I think it's really good. Also The Rifles, who are just great, but they're relatively well known, I think.

My last suggestion for something you should listen to if you haven't already is Singles by Future Islands - class!

bSSyQEzl.jpg

When people mention post-punk, they talk about Joy Division, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen etc, but The Sound should have been up there with them. They're got lots of good records, but I think From The Lion's Mouth is probably the best.

Might give that a go some day.
Have you listened to Ought's 'More than any other day'? It's great as well.

Listen to either Reconstruction Site or Left & Leaving by The Weakerthans.

Not really under appreciated in Canada where they're from but haven't really made it over here. But he writes some great lyrics and is a really good songwriter and as a whole the band is great.

They had a really brief spell of being huge in the UK, for about a year. I think it was the Reconstruction Site tour in 2003. That tour seemed to sell out in an instant. They seemed to be the band that everyone liked when I was in college too. Then their popularity just sort of dropped off a cliff.

Probably doesn't help they didn't release anything for ages after that.

Those two albums are great though. Definitely one of the most impressive lyricists I've heard.

Diamond Mine by King Creosote and Jon Hopkins

We Lost the Sea - Departure Songs

Relaxing, tranquil music about space travel, with an emotional kick at the end...what's not to love?

Blackbird from the album Grit by Martyn Bennett - great travel music

Can't really say whether this is really underappreciated

Mackay's Memoirs, another album by Martyn Bennett

Onra - Chinoiseries

French rapper went to Asian, collected a bunch of different Chinese and Vietnamese songs and albums from the 70s and 80s, and put together a pretty unique album

They had a really brief spell of being huge in the UK, for about a year. I think it was the Reconstruction Site tour in 2003. That tour seemed to sell out in an instant. They seemed to be the band that everyone liked when I was in college too. Then their popularity just sort of dropped off a cliff.

Probably doesn't help they didn't release anything for ages after that.

Those two albums are great though. Definitely one of the most impressive lyricists I've heard.

Never knew that, I would have been midway through high school and listening to pop punk, rap and d&b so would have missed that. Wasn't until I moved to Canada a few years later and them still doing the rounds touring that I caught on.

Always thought they were one of those people where if a big name released some of those lyrics they'd be hailed as a genius.

Brilliant album, my wife's favourite of all time. Had it on in the car just last week and there are some brilliant tracks on it.

Sone of my own off the top of my head;

Laid by James
Conditions by Temper Trap
Falcon by The Courteeners
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place by Explosions In The Sky
Tracy Chapman by Tracy Chapman

It's an absolute banger. People who don't give it the time of day are only missing out.
It really is a top-class album. There's not a single track on there that I'm as much as not keen on. I can't think of another album I could say that about, off the top of my head.

Cracking basslines, catchy tunes, intelligent lyrics, bags of attitude and an unbelievable voice. It's over 20 years old now and wouldn't sound out of place if it was released today. I think it'll be one of those albums that will be regarded as a classic in years to come.

Onra - Chinoiseries

French rapper went to Asian, collected a bunch of different Chinese and Vietnamese songs and albums from the 70s and 80s, and put together a pretty unique album

Anyone who knows their onions already knows about that one and loves it accordingly, his full length Long Distance in 2008/9 needs more looks though.

Magazine - Real Life

Nope, haven't heard of them. Will give it a listen sometime for sure.
It turned out they didn't have that particular The Sound album on TIDAL. I'm have to listen at the computer someday then.

Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock by Talk Talk.

Bold decision to scrap the synthy pop for something more "experimental", they're 2 of the most purely beautiful records I've ever listened to.
Commercial suicide at the time but artistically superb.

Skylarking by XTC is pretty wonderful also.

What sort of music do you normally listen to @sullydnl?

A friend of mine and I were discussing the first Queens of the Stone Age album last week and we both agreed that it's excellent, though often overlooked. Although Nevermind is famous, I think Bleach is the best Nirvana album by a distance. Mystery Jets latest one The Curve of the Earth is good and it has lovely album artwork - I got it on vinyl as a present from my girlfriend a few months back. Also, Our Earthly Pleasures by Maximo Park - it's a pretty famous album, but none of my mates are really into it.

As far as less well known bands go - I'm a fan of Twisted Wheel. They only have one self-titled album and I think it's really good. Also The Rifles, who are just great, but they're relatively well known, I think.

My last suggestion for something you should listen to if you haven't already is Singles by Future Islands - class!

You're in the right ballpark. Haven't listened to that Massimo Park album in years....

Some good choices so far (of the ones I know anyway). Actually just started listening to Talk Talk, XTC and Magazine in the last few months.

With the Reissue of "Be Here Now" i hope that album gets a bit more appreciation I love it, and always thought it has been treated harshly.

Other Albums i'd like to see get a bit more credit, Pixies "Indy Cindy" Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros "Rock Art & The X-Ray Style" Them Crooked Vultures "Them Crooked Vultures" Black Rebel Motorcycle Club "Take Them On, On Your Own".

I'd also think "Chinese Democracy" by *cough cough* Guns N Roses, gets far to much criticism, it not a great record but its good and has some great songs on it like "Street of Dreams" and "Madagascar"

Think Blur's comeback album "Magic Whip" didn't get anywhere near the amount of credit it deserved, its so rare for who have been around so long to come back with something as good as anything they did in there pomp, i loved it it was like seeing a friend you havn't spoke to in 20 years but there just as great as you remember

Also While "Sublime" by Sublime gets a lot of credit it isn't on enough of the all time best of lists, and it should be right near the top. A slmlar story with "Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating Through Space" by Spiritualized, that Album is incredible!

Killah Priest - Heavy Mental

I rank it up there with Liquid Swords and Cuban Linx. Some insane skills from KP, subtle production. But it's the lyricism that does it for me, I don't know another album that can so effortlessly evoke the reality of the streets before switching to biblical imagery and science fiction.

With the Reissue of "Be Here Now" i hope that album gets a bit more appreciation I love it, and always thought it has been treated harshly.

Other Albums i'd like to see get a bit more credit, Pixies "Indy Cindy" Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros "Rock Art & The X-Ray Style" Them Crooked Vultures "Them Crooked Vultures" Black Rebel Motorcycle Club "Take Them On, On Your Own".

I'd also think "Chinese Democracy" by *cough cough* Guns N Roses, gets far to much criticism, it not a great record but its good and has some great songs on it like "Street of Dreams" and "Madagascar"

Think Blur's comeback album "Magic Whip" didn't get anywhere near the amount of credit it deserved, its so rare for who have been around so long to come back with something as good as anything they did in there pomp, i loved it it was like seeing a friend you havn't spoke to in 20 years but there just as great as you remember

Also While "Sublime" by Sublime gets a lot of credit it isn't on enough of the all time best of lists, and it should be right near the top. A slmlar story with "Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating Through Space" by Spiritualized, that Album is incredible!

I'm gonna hate that new mix of Be Here Now I think. All the pomp and completely over the top guitars were taken out of the "DYNWIM Re-Think". Those feckers crashed in, just like with My Big Mouth. Those two songs especially are designed to be played loud.

And if they touch Fade In/Out ... I am gonna kick off.

I'm gonna hate that new mix of Be Here Now I think. All the pomp and completely over the top guitars were taken out of the "DYNWIM Re-Think". Those feckers crashed in, just like with My Big Mouth. Those two songs especially are designed to be played loud.

And if they touch Fade In/Out ... I am gonna kick off.
the "DYNWIM Re-Think" just sounds odd to me it kind of feel like the CD is skipping and only one speaker is working as the cuts are so brutal and so many layers are missing......

Be Here Now is great because it is massively over blown, because every time you hear it you hear a different guitar line, because the songs are so long and you can get lost in them..... its great the way it is i don't want to hear it remixed!

Wowed zowee by Pavement. Was considered a bit of a dud/mis-step when it was released but I think it's their best album. Full of tunes.

Living Colour - Stain

The last album before their breakup, when they still were on top of their game. A bit forgotten, but their best for me. Heavier, darker & angrier than their previous albums; great songs, stellar musicianship & lots of experimental stuff throughout.

MUDD1716.JPG

Pro tip: Add their 'Sunshine Of Your Love' cover as a bonus track to your playlist.