UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be honest do you just fancy her ? Is it the accent ? Because its fecking bizarre watching you twist and turn like this.

No. It’s the slight undercurrent of misogyny I see sometimes when people on this forum discuss women they don’t like which winds me up. The small but disparaging references to their sex to belittle or diminish the argument. You’ve managed to do it twice in one post.

Conservatives trying to spin JRM "I'm too smart to die" interview as "clearly clumsy" are as much a joke as he is and as disrespectful of the dead. Who do they think they're fooling?

I really hope Jacob Rees Mogg can prove his fire escaping proficiency from the top of a burning tower block one day. I'd watch.

James Cleverly having an absolute shocker across most of the morning shows this morning :lol:

James Cleverly having an absolute shocker across most of the morning shows this morning :lol:

Wow, campaign has started like a train wreck for the Tories. I can't believe how stupid JRM has been, and I don't know why these thoughts would be going through his head. Its frankly very weird, trying to rationalise what you would be thinking in a life and death situation like Grenfell.

Conservatives trying to spin JRM "I'm too smart to die" interview as "clearly clumsy" are as much a joke as he is and as disrespectful of the dead. Who do they think they're fooling?

I really hope Jacob Rees Mogg can prove his fire escaping proficiency from the top of a burning tower block one day. I'd watch.
It was only last week they were all mocking Corbyn's green tie. Cretins the lot of them.

I owe an apology to Kay Burley. Didn't think she was capable of stuff like that. Great to see her not mincing words there!

:lol: It's genuinely hilarious watching them shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. Obviously it won't matter a jot and Labour will be crushed anyway but the absolute state of them is a joy to behold. I bet Cummings is gonna go full Malcolm Tucker on a few of them in the coming weeks.

In other news Angela Smith is horrified at potentially losing out on her golden goodbye payoff.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/angela-smith-exit-payment

A former Labour MP who defected to the Liberal Democrats has complained of the “terrifying” prospect of missing out on a £22,000 taxpayer-funded golden goodbye if she loses at next month’s general election.

Angela Smith, who was a Labour MP for 14 years until she quit the party earlier this year, claimed she is being “discriminated against” by Parliament’s expenses authorities.

She is currently the MP for the Penistone and Stocksbridge constituency but is vacating the seat to instead stand for the Liberal Democrats in Altrincham and Sale West on Dec. 12.

In a letter to the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority — the watchdog for MPs’ expenses — Smith expressed her “horror” at realising that her decision to stand as a Lib Dem in a different constituency means she is no longer eligible for the winding-up payment received by MPs who lose their seats in an election.

Diddums.

:lol: It's genuinely hilarious watching them shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. Obviously it won't matter a jot and Labour will be crushed anyway but the absolute state of them is a joy to behold. I bet Cummings is gonna go full Malcolm Tucker on a few of them in the coming weeks.

In other news Angela Smith is horrified at potentially losing out on her golden goodbye payoff.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/angela-smith-exit-payment

Diddums.

Watching Cummings dressing down Rees-Mogg would be very funny.

Fair play to her, she's not one to be wronged :lol:

I wonder if the Tories are already going into hiding as they know Boris is bad but the rest of the remaining Tories are worse. They'll just stick to attacking Corbyn with over the top lines people just will dismiss as obvious nonsense.

My point is that higher taxes do not lead to higher revenues. People go out of their way to avoid paying even to the point of leaving the country or just moving their money to a more tax-friendly state. Lower taxation has the affect of more people paying rather than avoiding (because they see it as fairer) and thus revenues increase. There is plenty of evidence for this. The premise of funding public spending by taxing business and the wealthy is flawed in my view.

Do you think our current taxation is causing the wealthy to flee?

Again you have nobel laureate winning economists saying this rich tax myth is a nonsense and yet you have those on the centre right spouting their opinion as if it's of equal weight.

but this conversation is being stupidly delayed as whoever brings it up will be seen as unelectable. It needs a coming together with a cross party proposal agreeing a long term funding arrangement.

That's why (in a previous post) I have argued about the NHS being outside politics, because its not simply about honest assessments or even agreements on long term funding. I used the words " provides a great safety net for the nations health" and this is the problem in a nutshell; this is how people generally perceive the NHS. The problem is we have never fully defined what should be in the net and what shouldn't, at the moment the vast majority of the public believe everything, 'cradle to grave' related to the individuals health is included and that is a massive field of interests (and hence costs) to cover, especially as it seems we keep adding to the list, as new medical or social situations arise, and take little or nothing out!

Realistically if we want to stop the NHS 'gobbling up' more and more of the countries resources, then there is a need to define precisely what the NHS covers, still in terms of cradle to grave, but also in terms of what can be funded directly by the state and what and where 'excess payments' are to be applied. This cannot be solved by Politicians, it needs to be defined principally by medical profession and then enforced by the Government, of whatever political colour.

However, this of course is not going to happen because the finances associated with supporting the NHS is a handy subject area for Politicians to hang their slogans on, whether on 'the side of a bus'; or in shouts of 'its not for sale', come election time.

As it has been amply demonstrated in terms of the Brexit referendum, Politicians are incapable of following any instruction, not authorised and controlled by them, and even if by some miracle we got as far as considering taking the NHS out of the hands of politicians somehow 'politics', of one kind or another, would surface... you could put that on the side of a bus!

Just seen Sturgeon in a pub pretending to play a guitar and singing.

Why do all politicians make such absolute feckin fools of themselves kissing pigs and babies or wearing butchers stripes, serving sausages, when there is an election coming ?

Shows the complete naivety of anyone who takes any of them seriously.
Because they have to appeal to the section of the electorate who have no clue about policies and vote for politicians based on shite like that.

No. It’s the slight undercurrent of misogyny I see sometimes when people on this forum discuss women they don’t like which winds me up. The small but disparaging references to their sex to belittle or diminish the argument. You’ve managed to do it twice in one post.
:lol:

Sorry I didn't know pointing out Thatcher crimes would hurt your feelings.

That's why (in a previous post) I have argued about the NHS being outside politics, because its not simply about honest assessments or even agreements on long term funding. I used the words " provides a great safety net for the nations health" and this is the problem in a nutshell; this is how people generally perceive the NHS. The problem is we have never fully defined what should be in the net and what shouldn't, at the moment the vast majority of the public believe everything, 'cradle to grave' related to the individuals health is included and that is a massive field of interests (and hence costs) to cover, especially as it seems we keep adding to the list, as new medical or social situations arise, and take little or nothing out!

Realistically if we want to stop the NHS 'gobbling up' more and more of the countries resources, then there is a need to define precisely what the NHS covers, still in terms of cradle to grave, but also in terms of what can be funded directly by the state and what and where 'excess payments' are to be applied. This cannot be solved by Politicians, it needs to be defined principally by medical profession and then enforced by the Government, of whatever political colour.

However, this of course is not going to happen because the finances associated with supporting the NHS is a handy subject area for Politicians to hang their slogans on, whether on 'the side of a bus'; or in shouts of 'its not for sale', come election time.

As it has been amply demonstrated in terms of the Brexit referendum, Politicians are incapable of following any instruction, not authorised and controlled by them, and even if by some miracle we got as far as considering taking the NHS out of the hands of politicians somehow 'politics', of one kind or another, would surface... you could put that on the side of a bus!
I spent 34 years working in the NHS and have also worked in health academia and the private healthcare sector. The amount of organisational change that happened in the 90s and 00s was a disaster and improved nothing, in my opinion. Excellent, efficient Trusts in some parts of the country (working within their budgets and improving health and outcomes) were dismantled because of a set of problems affecting mostly London. And what happens? You lose organisational memory as yet another group of good employees are displaced or jump ship because they're afraid of losing their jobs in a merger.

Anyway, the underlying problem is that making a population healthier requires an up-stream approach. You have to persuade people take more responsibility for their own health and wellbeing, starting with the kids. Of course, when the NHS was established the theory was that it would make people healthier, and so an ever-increasing demand on services wasn't foreseen. And improving public health isn't achieved overnight, of course, and isn't particularly popular with politicians who want to just talk about acute services.

'Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats'(!)

3500.jpg

Do you think our current taxation is causing the wealthy to flee?

Again you have nobel laureate winning economists saying this rich tax myth is a nonsense and yet you have those on the centre right spouting their opinion as if it's of equal weight.

I know you keep saying this but it's just not true. Almost every country that's actually implemented a wealth tax on the super rich has seen people leave and tax receipts suffer. There is a reason most of the countries that had it have rescinded it over the years.

I know you keep saying this but it's just not true. Almost every country that's actually implemented a wealth tax on the super rich has seen people leave and tax receipts suffer. There is a reason most of the countries that had it have rescinded it over the years.

Which ones specifically aside from France which you already mentioned out of interest?

Like the 70k figure you plucked from no where? But hey you know better than the experts, where have i heard that before :lol:

There's a very real reason that taxes on the rich have been lowered across countries and inequality has gone up.

I ask you lot repeatedly what tax rates you want because the answer is 99% of the time whatever it's set at the time. Then its lowered and the answer changes to whatever it's lowered to. But you can be sure the answer to maybe we can revert it to the previous rate will be met with "no that will be met with the apocalypse".

Top 10 Uk billionaires

1. Jim Ratcliffe - residence Monaco
2. Hinduja family - residence London
3. David & Simon Reuben - residence Monaco & Florida
4. Ian & Richard Livingstone - residence ? - HQ London
5. Joe Lewis - residence Bahamas
6. Bruno Schroder - deceased
7. David & Fred Barclay - residence Monaco & Channel Islands
8. Richard Branson - residence British Virgin Islands
9. Philip Green - residence Monaco
10. Lawrence Graff - residence Gstaad , Switzerland

Oh well.

What the hell are the Lib Dem’s playing at? Swinson is a cretin.
They seem to be doing a version of the Hilary Clinton campaign from 2016(Have they forgotten that Trump won ?), one of their tag lines is - Liberal Democrats : I'm with Jo. Which is just a rework of Clintons I'm with her.

I never understood the argument of turning a blind eye to tax avoidance and downright evasion because the rich pay more tax than everyone else.

If they don't pay their fair share and being made to do so causes them to leave then they can just feck off. Simples!

Top 10 Uk billionaires

1. Jim Ratcliffe - residence Monaco
2. Hinduja family - residence London
3. David & Simon Reuben - residence Monaco & Florida
4. Ian & Richard Livingstone - residence ? - HQ London
5. Joe Lewis - residence Bahamas
6. Bruno Schroder - deceased
7. David & Fred Barclay - residence Monaco & Channel Islands
8. Richard Branson - residence British Virgin Islands
9. Philip Green - residence Monaco
10. Lawrence Graff - residence Gstaad , Switzerland

Oh well.

What is your point here?

'I'm with Jo. She's with BoJo'.

Johnson repeats his lie about '40 new hospitals'.

'Hop on the bus and we'll make you a candidate'.

Status
Not open for further replies.