UEFA Super Cup - Real Madrid vs Atalanta

Well, he is.

Well, not tactically, that's for sure.

Billion euro squad and his set up in big games is similar to how Ole and ETH set United up in big games. Except with a miles better squad.

Against City they left their own half like 3 times in 120 minutes.

Vinicius Junior is quite possibly the biggest fecking prick in football.

I don't remember watching Madrid in a big game where they weren't outplayed in the last 3 years, despite having a top 2-3 squad in the world every time

But apparently Ancelotti is one of the "goats"

Considering he's the coach coming out most of those games the victor, I'd say he is...

One of the most decorated coaches who makes practically any player lineup work is not one of the goats?
Probably because he doesn't have some fancy "philosophy" I guess.

He's a good balancer who has always had exceptional player quality at his hand. Tactially not even close to the best managers out there currently, like Pep, Klopp, Arteta, Flick, Tuchel, and others. He spent 3 years in Napoli and Everton for a reason.

I don't know if you've followed Madrid's last two CL wins with Ancelotti, but I don't remember a single KO tie maybe other than Bayern last time in the semis, where they weren't the worse team overall. Outplayed by PSG, Chelsea, City, and Liverpool in 2022. Last season even Leipzig was better than them in the Bernabeu. Then completely dominated by City, went through vs Bayern maybe deservedly, but still had to rely on a refereeing mistake, and then Dortmund was more than a worthy opponent in the final, which shouldn't have happened.

I don't remember watching Madrid in a big game where they weren't outplayed in the last 3 years, despite having a top 2-3 squad in the world every time

Just to be clear, are we considering this a big game?

To me this is just a high profile glorified friendly.

Just to be clear, are we considering this a big game?

To me this is just a high profile glorified friendly.

Whether you consider this a big game or not, there's an undeniable pattern of Madrid only advancing and winning every big game and final under Ancelotti because they put away almost every chance they get. Some of the deadliest chance conversion rates I've ever seen, especially Benzema during their 2022 run. But overall they're dominated.

Well, none of the philosophies nor outplaying the opponents matter if you can win big games and big trophies.

He's a good balancer who has always had exceptional player quality at his hand. Tactially not even close to the best managers out there currently, like Pep, Klopp, Arteta, Flick, Tuchel, and others. He spent 3 years in Napoli and Everton for a reason.

I don't know if you've followed Madrid's last two CL wins with Ancelotti, but I don't remember a single KO tie maybe other than Bayern last time in the semis, where they weren't the worse team overall. Outplayed by PSG, Chelsea, City, and Liverpool in 2022. Last season even Leipzig was better than them in the Bernabeu. Then completely dominated by City, went through vs Bayern maybe deservedly, but still had to rely on a refereeing mistake, and then Dortmund was more than a worthy opponent in the final, which shouldn't have happened.

Arteta? whats he won to be compared to Don Carlo?

Absolutely ridiculous take.

From Madrid's point of view, this is a pre-season game which adds almost no glory if you win it but it is very painful if you lose it with the media entering their usual spiral of destruction. The pitch is probably not in the best conditions (wearing Xavi lenses atm) and since Atalanta are super physical they are not the best rival for a game so early after holidays, so it would not surprise me to see a win for the Italians.

Also, we are going to suffer Kroos retirement big time. Camavinga's injury for two months is a curse for us and I am not completely sure about Tchouameni's limited skills given the absence of the former two. It is probably very unfair to ask Valverde to be a super hero in midfield and fill Toni's boots as well.

I guess Ancelotti will use Modric and/or Guler in the final minutes to have more control of the game and hope that the superior quality of his squad does the rest.

From Madrid's point of view, this is a pre-season game which adds almost no glory if you win it but it is very painful if you lose it with the media entering their usual spiral of destruction. The pitch is probably not in the best conditions (wearing Xavi lenses atm) and since Atalanta are super physical they are not the best rival for a game so early after holidays, so it would not surprise me to see a win for the Italians.

Also, we are going to suffer Kroos retirement big time. Camavinga's injury for two months is a curse for us and I am not completely sure about Tchouameni's limited skills given the absence of the former two. It is probably very unfair to ask Valverde to be a super hero in midfield and fill Toni's boots as well.

I guess Ancelotti will use Modric and/or Guler in the final minutes to have more control of the game and hope that the superior quality of his squad does the rest.
Surprised you didn't go for a mid, I've always thought the nex gen was a bit lacking on the creative side, unless Guler is gonna get a proper look.

Whether you consider this a big game or not, there's an undeniable pattern of Madrid only advancing and winning every big game and final under Ancelotti because they put away almost every chance they get. Some of the deadliest chance conversion rates I've ever seen, especially Benzema during their 2022 run. But overall they're dominated.

All except where it matters, I suppose.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, Bellingham is giving a master class in how to play football.

We can agree to disagree and obviously there isn't only one right way to play football.

However, I've not seen much from Madrid in big games, especially in the CL, other than ceding possession, conceding a lot of chances and relying on their keeper's heroics to save them, and then basically converting almost every chance they get on the end of counter attacks and transitions. They have some of the best players in the world, some of them future all-timers even, but they're not capable of controlling games against other good teams. I'm sure Ancelotti is a great balancer, a great man-manager, etc. but he can't set Madrid up the way Pep sets up City for example, despite having a top 2-3 squad in the world at worst.

Football isn't played on a tactics board.

Ancelotti is a born winner, done it multiple times with multiple different teams. Talking about refereeing mistakes and him benefiting from them, so have all the managers you mentioned.

I've only been watching for 15 mins but Bellingham has been impressive.

Was that Kolasinac or Ruggieri? What a embarassing defending that was. Rightfully subbed if Kolasinac.

Bellingham playing really well.

The reality is more like what you're seeing in this match.

Real Madrid matches in Europe have periods in which they get dominated, which they can manage without the situation getting dire (most of the time). And then they have periods in which they dominate. It's not really some 'smash n' grab' thing.

Madrid appear to have very few options at CB. Just Rudiger and Militao, with Vallejo in reserve. Alaba is still crocked and who knows if he'll come back to his previous level. Are there any noises about them buying a CB? I'm sure missing out on Yoro was a blow, but surely they can't go into the campaign with just these few options?

We can agree to disagree and obviously there isn't only one right way to play football.

However, I've not seen much from Madrid in big games, especially in the CL, other than ceding possession, conceding a lot of chances and relying on their keeper's heroics to save them, and then basically converting almost every chance they get on the end of counter attacks and transitions. They have some of the best players in the world, some of them future all-timers even, but they're not capable of controlling games against other good teams. I'm sure Ancelotti is a great balancer, a great man-manager, etc. but he can't set Madrid up the way Pep sets up City for example, despite having a top 2-3 squad in the world at worst.

Fair enough, but Peps style isn't the be all and end all as you've said and to be honest I'm not a fan.

You can't argue with his record. Scoring goals and winning matches is actually what the game is about.

A joy to watch when he's playing like this

He reminds me of the Bellingham of the first half of last season. Fresh, sharp and inspired. Very different from the one we saw after the injury.

Glad Bellingham is performing like his first half self from last season, did he ever get the shoulder surgery he needed? Amazing what a few weeks of rest can do.

Madrid appear to have very few options at CB. Just Rudiger and Militao, with Vallejo in reserve. Alaba is still crocked and who knows if he'll come back to his previous level. Are there any noises about them buying a CB? I'm sure missing out on Yoro was a blow, but surely they can't go into the campaign with just these few options?
Once they get Camavinga back at CM, Tchouaméni becomes an option at CB. They're definitely light on both positions though.

If they're such superior tacticians, why has he beaten them with his simpleton philosophy and tactics?

Anyway, Mbappe Vini and Bellingham look good already.