U16s: SuperCupNI 2024 (21-26 July)

Too much added time but we just couldn't score that winning goal.

Feels like we subbed in Ibrovic-Fletcher a bit too late.

To get to the semis United need a win tomorrow vs Continental, who are on full six points after two matches.

Frustrating that we couldn't get that winning goal. The game was very stretched and open in those last ten minutes and we had a good few chances to score.

Too much added time but we just couldn't score that winning goal.

Feels like we subbed in Ibrovic-Fletcher a bit too late.

He’s only just back from injury. If he was fully fit and sharp I imagine he starts.

Anyone got the subs from the first two games...who came on/off...thanks
Got the lineups here

United: Watson, Helafu (Watson 65), Mills (Ngwashi 60), Kukonki, Thorley (Shah 60), McCormack, Nkoto, Mantato, Nkoto (Ibrovic-Fletcher 60), Barbosa (Ajayi 36), Bradbury (Brown 60)
https://thepeoplesperson.com/2024/0...united-u16s-4-0-county-fermanagh-u16s-283143/

United: Watson, Ngwashi (Helafu 40), Mills, Kukonki, Thorley, McCormack (Ibrovic-Fletcher 68), D. Nkoto, Mantato, B. Nkoto, Brown (Barbosa 49), Bradbury
https://thepeoplesperson.com/2024/0...chester-united-u16-2-2-skouted-fc-u16-283183/

Awful defending again for the goal.

After getting away with carelessness trying to play it out, and it falling to one of our players on the edge of the box, more careless attempts to play out led to an easy close range goal for them. Very poor from.a few of ours.

Losing 2-0 at HT. The 2nd a very good run and finish.

I've paid for all three group games, but the performances have been getting poorer. We struggle playing out from the back - I know that's an art that's going to make mistakes at all age groups, but they've not looked naturally good with the odd mistake, just looked quite uncomfortable in general. Not sure how good the pitches are of course.

The Nkoto twins look to have something about them, Douka Nkoto especially - though he just tries to twist, turn or dribble whenever he gets the ball and too often ends up losing it and on the floor looking up at the ref. Needs to become more of a team player for me.

Bradbury, as I've mentioned before, looks Manni Norkett type level. A hard working #9 but nothing too exciting about his game.

The right side has been the most enjoyable to watch - Helafu at RB and Mantato (unsurprisingly) at RW. Though this game, they keep getting it to Mantato but he hasn't produced much so far.

United need to win the game to finish top of the group, so need a minimum of 3 goals in the second half. Haven't really looked like getting many so far so need a much better 2nd half performance.

Losing 2-0 at HT. The 2nd a very good run and finish.

I've paid for all three group games, but the performances have been getting poorer. We struggle playing out from the back - I know that's an art that's going to make mistakes at all age groups, but they've not looked naturally good with the odd mistake, just looked quite uncomfortable in general. Not sure how good the pitches are of course.

The Nkoto twins look to have something about them, Douka Nkoto especially - though he just tries to twist, turn or dribble whenever he gets the ball and too often ends up losing it and on the floor looking up at the ref. Needs to become more of a team player for me.

Bradbury, as I've mentioned before, looks Manni Norkett type level. A hard working #9 but nothing too exciting about his game.

The right side has been the most enjoyable to watch - Helafu at RB and Mantato (unsurprisingly) at RW. Though this game, they keep getting it to Mantato but he hasn't produced much so far.

United need to win the game to finish top of the group, so need a minimum of 3 goals in the second half. Haven't really looked like getting many so far so need a much better 2nd half performance.
Any possibly game changer on the bench?

Any possibly game changer on the bench?
Not really.

Best team looks like its mostly out there. No other #9 in the squad. There's a decent AM in Edward Ibrovic-Fletcher, who's only been a sub as he came into it with an injury according to an earlier post.

Other than that, just a couple of other wingers who definitely aren't as good as Mantato.

Just got one back - losing 2-1 now. Not sure who - my picture froze for a minute and when it came back they were kicking off!

Yeah, my stream died for 10 minutes or so. Came back for the final 15 minutes, but we didn't really create a chance and lost 2-1.

After the good opening performance, the last two group games were worse. Probably just about deserved a win by the end of yesterday's 2-2 draw, but were poor today.

Some disappointing results in Supercup NI and no-one is saying it's a sign of the academy being in terrible shape - the forum has definitely grown in the last year.

On that note I would like to take this opportunity to say the academy is in terrible shape

Some disappointing results in Supercup NI and no-one is saying it's a sign of the academy being in terrible shape - the forum has definitely grown in the last year.
Tbf it should be said that not getting out of the group stages of this competition is pretty poor for an academy of our size. Hopefully it’s a one off and not indicative of the level of out future teams in this age group

MU16s will play Hamilton Academical in the SCNI Globe semi at 18:00 BST and then either Co. Londonderry or Co. Antrim in the 5-6/7-8 placement match.

Tbf it should be said that not getting out of the group stages of this competition is pretty poor for an academy of our size. Hopefully it’s a one off and not indicative of the level of out future teams in this age group

The last two times people went meltdown about pre-season/first couple of matches at these levels we went on to win the FA Youth Cup in one time and the treble in another.

Looks like people learnt their lesson for 1 season and then reverted back.

The last two times people went meltdown about pre-season/first couple of matches at these levels we went on to win the FA Youth Cup in one time and the treble in another.

I’d hardly call that a melt down…. Just pointing out that going out in the group stages of an U16s tournament like this isn’t good enough. It doesn’t mean the U18s won’t do well.

Think it's more reflective that one or two - one especially - of the more critical posters no longer posts on here.

Often more valid minor concerns get lumped in with the more extreme negatives when criticising a 'meltdown'. Without those extreme negatives along side them, then minor criticism - like acknowledging that these last two results and performances have been pretty poor - can be taken for what they are: just comments on those specific performances and not a slating of the whole youth system. Which looks in very good shape at the moment.

That's much better!

My original plan was to miss the middle group game, but then I found out I would be busy tonight and tomorrow night so made sure I watched all the group games instead.

Glad it looks like we're turning it on tonight, but sods law I'm missing it! :lol:

5-0 Kukonki. FT.

Tomorrow 5-6 match against Co. Londonderry. 14:00 BST kickoff.
Oh, 2pm kick off? That changes things. I thought it would be around the same time as the others. There's more of a chance I might get to see that then.

Very good result today. Glad to see end product from the Nkoto's. Douka especially looks to have a lot of potential, but can be very individualistic. Though I know they're playing up age groups, and it's good to let them develop that quality on the ball rather than stymie it.