Timothy Fosu-Mensah | 2017/18 Crystal Palace Performances

I dont think he will be a CB in a 4 man backline. Either a RCB in a 3 man backline, RB or midfielder, but at the moment i would say RB/RCB suit him best.

I dont think he will be a CB in a 4 man backline. Either a RCB in a 3 man backline, RB or midfielder, but at the moment i would say RB/RCB suit him best.

He is very much like a Young Jones for me.

Will end up at Cb. Maybe Rb but most Likely Cb.

Interesting comments those,btw on palace forums. I think Both Tuanzebe and him need to improve their aerial presence.

He is very much like a Young Jones for me.

Will end up at Cb. Maybe Rb but most Likely Cb.

Interesting comments those,btw on palace forums. I think Both Tuanzebe and him need to improve their aerial presence.
I agree for his sake CB is probably his best position.

It seems to be common now where lads coming through aren't very good in the air. Rashford and Wilson are poor in the air for strikers too. Even Bailly and Lindelof two young CBS weak in the air too so not just our academy.

I agree for his sake CB is probably his best position.

It seems to be common now where lads coming through aren't very good in the air. Rashford and Wilson are poor in the air for strikers too. Even Bailly and Lindelof two young CBS weak in the air too so not just our academy.

True. Bit of an oddity. I put it down to positional switches. Rashford and Wilson converted wingers. TFM not growing up as a centre back.

It's funny as we seem to have had lots of young players that have come through without a clear understanding of what is their best position. Can you imagine if Giggs and Becks where coming through now, Giggs would be a left back and Becks on the right....

True. Bit of an oddity. I put it down to positional switches. Rashford and Wilson converted wingers. TFM not growing up as a centre back.
Fair point on Rashford and Willo, but as far as I know TFM has played plenty at CB growing up. And even if you look at the others to come through recently only Keane is really any good in the air and I'd say he largely benefited from his early loans to the Championship. Seeing the likes of Thorpe, Blackett, McNair, CBJ, or even Williams and I wouldn't really think good in the air. I think its more the way kids are taught these days. Technical and skillful play is much more focused on and they are taught to keep the ball on the ground. Heading just plays a very small part in youth football in recent times and the kids never learn it. It is a bit of a dying skillset in my opinion.

Fair point on Rashford and Willo, but as far as I know TFM has played plenty at CB growing up. And even if you look at the others to come through recently only Keane is really any good in the air and I'd say he largely benefited from his early loans to the Championship. Seeing the likes of Thorpe, Blackett, McNair, CBJ, or even Williams and I wouldn't really think good in the air. I think its more the way kids are taught these days. Technical and skillful play is much more focused on and they are taught to keep the ball on the ground. Heading just plays a very small part in youth football in recent times and the kids never learn it. It is a bit of a dying skillset in my opinion.

Was just going to post that. I've an 8 year old who is one of the better kids in his age group and has maybe headed the ball twice this season. Any kind of long ball aerial assault is frowned on in youth football so they can get by without any need to compete for headers. Completely different sport to the game someone like Steve Bruce grew up playing.

Just to add to all of this, our only CB right now who is comprehensively impressive in the air is Chris Smalling: who began his career in National League football, where you'd imagine long ball football is a lot more prevalent.

Just to add to all of this, our only CB right now who is comprehensively impressive in the air is Chris Smalling: who began his career in National League football, where you'd imagine long ball football is a lot more prevalent.

TBH I think most CB now probably were CM before it.....

Was just going to post that. I've an 8 year old who is one of the better kids in his age group and has maybe headed the ball twice this season. Any kind of long ball aerial assault is frowned on in youth football so they can get by without any need to compete for headers. Completely different sport to the game someone like Steve Bruce grew up playing.

Probably for the best.

If he just suddenly developed CBJ level of crossing ability we'd be sorted with a potentially brilliant RB for the next 10 years. I think Tuanzebe is a much better prospect at CB, and thats not to say TFM is bad there.

Did well from what I saw yesterday. In the bigger context, Palace are a bit all over the place and still managed to nullify Liverpool for the vast majority of the game and should have scored at least once through Benteke.

Some good composed moments from him.

If De Boer gets sacked that's his loan spell up the creek.

If De Boer gets sacked that's his loan spell up the creek.
I don't know, the Palace fans seem to think he's been one of their best players, a new manager would be daft not to play him if he's been as good as they say.

Yeah I'd agree. You could argue a few of them maybe lack the courage but as we've seen with TFM and Bailly that's not the case. Like you say it's just not a skill they've picked up. Ultimately they'll have to.

I watched the first half and thought he was a bit iffy. Made some good tackles, but at other times when Liverpool were attacking down his side he didn't seem sure what position to be taking up - whether to push out wide and help the wingback or to stay in the centre with the other two central defenders. Kind of just floated somewhere in the middle. I mean, maybe that's what De Boer wants him doing, but generally I felt he should have been a bit wider helping the wingback. Nothing major, but something to watch for him to improve.

In saying that, he probably hasn't played in a back three before this loan, so it makes sense that it'll take a little while. I also heard he was better in the second half.

Quite an impressive performance, just wondering but does the compilation include all his touches and actions?

I think only the touches.

I think he has been told to keep his game simple at the moment. Just defend. But if he is to have a long term career at United, I think De Boer needs to get him more involved in the attack -- bring up the ball or bombing down the wings/overlapping. He is playing a mini-me Bailey role at the moment.

It's funny as we seem to have had lots of young players that have come through without a clear understanding of what is their best position. Can you imagine if Giggs and Becks where coming through now, Giggs would be a left back and Becks on the right....

Or Scholes as a 10!
Even Evra started out as a striker. Young players evolve and most find a certain role. It's how it's always been.

Wish Palace would use him in the defensive midfield position to gain experience, as I think that is his best position.

So far can't argue with the loan he's getting starts and I do feel Jose sees him as the long term replacement fire Valencia.

Early recall might be required if Palace continue to get spanked regularly, won't do him any good.

Hopefully he cements himself as one of the best defenders at the club quickly because I can't see De Boer lasting long.

Doesn't necessarily hurt to play in a shit team. Pereira did very well at Granada last season and they were a shambles from start to finish.

Doesn't necessarily hurt to play in a shit team. Pereira did very well at Granada last season and they were a shambles from start to finish.
Good test, he'll have plenty of defending to do.