Tiers of Greatness

Best and Zidane should swap places.

Fachetti should be alongside Maldini IMO, and no Figueroa at all is bananas.

Giggs should be higher, him and Scholes can't be separated IMO and Bekamp and Henry should be lower.

Nah, I'd say Scholes was a slightly better player than Giggs. The really amazing things about Giggs are his longevity and the way he reinvented himself but in terms of pure abillity Scholes was a better player

I tried my top 3 tiers from the 50s onwards but it's pretty much impossible to do.

Where's Park, mate? :wenger:

Joking aside, and you're the go-to man on the issue, but who in the 1950s/60s era impressed you most? Di Stefano regularly appears on these "Greatest of All-Time" lists and I've never even seen a clip of him to say, but he must have been a hell of a player to be mentioned in the same breath as Pele, Maradona and Messi.

Nah, I'd say Scholes was a slightly better player than Giggs. The really amazing things about Giggs are his longevity and the way he reinvented himself but in terms of pure abillity Scholes was a better player

I agree but theres not a tiers difference between them IMO.

I think it's good method, but surely Zidane doesn't deserve to be in the GOAT tier, especially when the likes of Iniesta and Scholes are placed two tiers below him?

What do people think about Seedorf in there? Won a lot, but like Effenberg there's a number of midfielders who I'd rank higher - Souness for example.

What do people think about Seedorf in there? Won a lot, but like Effenberg there's a number of midfielders who I'd rank higher - Souness for example.

There's more questionable midfielders than him IMO, Gerrard, Makelele, Beckham, Deco.

Depends on how you look at it. In terms of skills, there are at least 100 players active today that are better than Pele, Maradona and Garrincha ever were....

I think most of these lists are about peak form rather than longevity, that's why Giggs always seems to be lower than he should be and that's why the likes of Romario and Ronaldinho are in the second tier despite shining for a relatively short period.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Law in that last tier.

That was the first thing that stood out to me actually. Either United fans had been rating him too highly, or that list too low.

Also, isn't the top tier about six players too big?

The three players commonly known as the GOAT are Pele, Maradona and Messi. The likes of Beckenbauer seem to be spoken of in the same esteem as the likes of Platini. Sort of that "Not the best player ever, but right up there" type of category.

I like how it's done though. Players from different eras can't be compared, which is why I don't think there exists such a label as the greatest player of all time'. But certain players can be labelled as the greatest player of their generation. Pele, Maradona and Messi all seem to be in that category for me.

Then you've got the rest; top players, who will at some point been (one of) the best in the world; perhaps not the best players in the world, but highly regarded etc. I like that.

It's the best and easiest way of doing it for me.

Where's Park, mate? :wenger:

Joking aside, and you're the go-to man on the issue, but who in the 1950s/60s era impressed you most? Di Stefano regularly appears on these "Greatest of All-Time" lists and I've never even seen a clip of him to say, but he must have been a hell of a player to be mentioned in the same breath as Pele, Maradona and Messi.

I'm definitely not the go-to man on that but yeah, it's Di Stéfano 100%. One newbie who saw him live in OT summed it up really:
Di Stéfano was the footballing icon of his generation.
Might as well quote some of his peers too:

"Who is this man? He takes the ball from the goalkeeper; he tells the full-backs what to do; wherever he is on the field he is in position to take the ball; you can see his influence on everything that is happening... I had never seen such a complete footballer. It was as though he had set up his own command centre at the heart of the game. He was as strong as he was subtle. The combination of qualities was mesmerising."

Bobby Charlton

"Alfredo Di Stéfano was the greatest footballer of all time - far better even than Pelé. He was, simultaneously, the anchor in defence, the playmaker in midfield, and the most dangerous marksman in attack."

Helenio Herrera - 7 league titles, 2 European Cups, 2 Spanish Cups and an Italian Cup as a manager

"The greatness of Di Stéfano was that, with him in your side, you had two players in every position."

Miguel Muñoz - 3 European Cups and 4 league titles as a player; 2 European Cups, 9 league titles and 3 Spanish Cups as a manager.

I genuinely think it's not hyperbole to say he was like Keane and Zidane mixed into one, with an absurd goalscoring record to go along with it. Really incredible player from the comparatively little I've seen, I've talked too much about him already so I'll just quote myself...

When I think of Maradona, Pelé and Di Stéfano I do see three complete players, but that's different. With Maradona I think "genius", with Pele it's "perfection" and Di Stéfano it's "complete". So while they could all play anywhere on the pitch and still stand out as special players, it's not the same thing. It's not that Di Stéfano could play anywhere on the pitch, it's that he did play all over the pitch. He was still a special player while Pelé was at his peak and even then you don't see Pelé influencing the game in so many different areas. Technically, physically, mentally - Pelé's just the perfectly crafted footballer, and he'd have been a sensational centre half if someone asked him to. More so than Don Alfredo. It's just that Di Stéfano did this all of his own accord because he had this innate understanding of the game (in the same way Cruyff did). He was total football before it had even been invented.

Cruyff and Michels revolutionised the game, Beckenbauer and Schön revolutionised the sweeper role - Di Stéfano didn't revolutionise anything because no-one else at that time could match that vision off the pitch or completeness on it. He just stood above the rest. Bobby's quote of "Who is this man ... the combination of qualities was mesmerising" - that's me all over. I'd watched Maradona from when he was a kid to when he was on his last legs, I'd seen Pelé as that outstanding 17 year old to the wise #10 he became in his 30s, I thought it's only downhill from here. None of them impressed me as much as Di Stéfano. I don't think he's better than either of them but his way of playing the game, the aura he possessed...it's phenomenal. I only wish I could see him in his early 20s to watch that development into the total footballer he became. Supposedly he was quite quick in his early years hence the name Saeta rubia, the golden arrow, but I've only seen him in his 30s. Still impressive that he possessed the pace he did then but I can't imagine the player he was beforehand.

Here's some more quotes about him...

"No other player so effectively combined individual expertise with an all-embracing ability to organize a team to play to his command. He was "total soccer" personified before the term had been invented. Di Stéfano remains to many of us the Greatest Footballer of All Time."

Keir Radnedge, editor of the World Soccer magazine, and perhaps the world's most respected soccer journalist.

"He revolutionised forward play by his box-to-box mobility, his willingness to tackle back and his mastery of the attacking arts - shooting, close control, heading power and an eye for the most telling pass. A perfect footballer."

Mike Langley, famous European soccer journalist.

"The greatest all-round player of them all, he was a revelation in his inexhaustible ability to be everywhere on the field, scoring a goal one minute, making a crucial defensive play the next, always at the heart of the game."

Paul Gardner, top soccer writer and TV commentator in USA.

"No one man can make a team, yet Alfredo Di Stefano came as close to being a whole team as any soccer player in the history of the game."

The Lincoln Library of Sports Champions, the Frontier Press Company, 1989.

"Di Stéfano's ability to perform all tasks on the field elevated him above the stature of other great players."

Richard Henshaw, editor of the Encyclopedia of World Soccer.

Football forum of specific team disagreeing over placement of their own players on subjective list shocker.

That was the first thing that stood out to me actually. Either United fans had been rating him too highly, or that list too low.

Also, isn't the top tier about six players too big?

The three players commonly known as the GOAT are Pele, Maradona and Messi. The likes of Beckenbauer seem to be spoken of in the same esteem as the likes of Platini. Sort of that "Not the best player ever, but right up there" type of category.

I like how it's done though. Players from different eras can't be compared, which is why I don't think there exists such a label as the greatest player of all time'. But certain players can be labelled as the greatest player of their generation. Pele, Maradona and Messi all seem to be in that category for me.

Then you've got the rest; top players, who will at some point been (one of) the best in the world; perhaps not the best players in the world, but highly regarded etc. I like that.

It's the best and easiest way of doing it for me.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. It's harsh to say Beckenbauer shouldn't in the top tier of anything though, I think. Di Stéfano's right up there in that top tier as far as I'm concerned, and come on, you have to throw Best in there...Ronaldo's really a case of what could have been, without those injuries there's every chance he would've been right up there but you can't really put him in on the basis of just 3 incredible seasons when the others dominated year after year.

Got it off facebook, but it's all over the net.

I didn't watch Platini, but what did Cryuff have that he didn't?

Pace. Plus he played a vital role in a revolutionary team that won 3 European Cups in a row.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. It's harsh to say Beckenbauer shouldn't in the top tier of anything though, I think. Di Stéfano's right up there in that top tier as far as I'm concerned, and come on, you have to throw Best in there...

I'm probably doing Best a disservice, but when Ronaldo was at OT, I had to ask my dad, who had seen him play live, and I'm pretty sure he had Ronaldo above him. For all the magic he could produce, he could have days of sheer anonymity.

My perception of United's glory days were the mid to late 60s, not the early 70s, and Best's record between 69-72 were 70 goals in 150 appearances.

Obviously, in 68 he won WPOTY, but what was he doing before all that? We won the league in 67, so you can assume he was near the top then, but when we weren't winning the league? When Charlton and Law were the best players? Can you say he was still at the highest level?

Basically, if Best was so good, why did he, Law and Charlton all win the Ballon D'Or once each?

I always got the impression that 'on their day' Best was the best of the three, but his day wasn't often enough to be considered Maradona/Pele good.

Anyway, I'm sure all the Northern Irish posters (yourself?) will correct me ;)

I'm definitely not the go-to man on that but yeah, it's Di Stéfano 100%. One newbie who saw him live in OT summed it up really:Might as well quote some of his peers too:

I genuinely think it's not hyperbole to say he was like Keane and Zidane mixed into one, with an absurd goalscoring record to go along with it. Really incredible player from the comparatively little I've seen, I've talked too much about him already so I'll just quote myself...

Here's some more quotes about him...

The incredible thing is that to many older Argies he wasn't even clear cut as the best (even before Maradona), they reckon the likes of Moreno and Pedernera were even more impressive because during Di Stéfano's time at River alongside them (for only a few seasons though) he didn't stand out like these two did.

From some research I'm currently doing on Di Stéfano and RM of the 1950s I can tell you that he was very obviously viewed as the best player in the league (and world, even) in his debut season, but by most accounts Kubala (Barcelona), Wilkes (Valencia) and even his team-mate Molowny were not that far behind him in 1953/54.

Surprised Van Der Sar's in there to be honest. Does that make him one of the six/seven best keepers of all time? Top six of his generation yes, but there's many more who are more worthy of a place in the pantheon. Hard to comment on those from previous eras as properly judging a keeper takes time, but from the last quarter of century or so Dasayev, Kahn, Filol, Pfaff and Preud'homme would surely be ahead.

Kahn is ahead of him on the list, not sure I've seen any of the others play.

In my opinion Van Der Sar is the best keeper I've ever seen, better than what my memory is of Schmeichel. It might be because he left at the top of his game (at least in my opinion) and I imagine I'm making myself unpopular on this forum, but he was almost the perfect keeper. Not the best shot stopper and many of his saves lacked the "how did he do that" but ridiculously competetant in every way. Schemical was more animalistic, probably a better shot stopper, certainly more of a crowds favourite.

But my god Van Der Sar was good! 2 Champions Leagues 13 years apart.

Drugs are bad, mmkay.

In sports, people usually evolve. In some sports, it can be easily measured via faster runs, higher jumps, breaking records etc. The record for men's 100m 50 years ago was 40ms slower than the current record for example. Football at its core can be broken down to segments, speed, agility, timing, understanding, pace etc. We produce better results at each segment everyday via new ways of training, better understanding of our body and mind, more dedicated training and a bigger and more global selection of competitors and trainers.

This is my short answer.

I don't do drugs...

"I don't buy the idea that today's fighters are not as good as the old fighters," stated Tyson recently to Oliver Holt of the London Mirror. "If you had asked Joe Frazier if he could beat me when I was at my best, he would have said, 'Hell yeah.' That's the way boxing goes. I think I could beat the next generation of fighters but the reality of history is that the fighters get better and better, bigger and bigger and stronger and stronger."

- Mike Tyson

But I can see how delicate this topic is. It's almost like telling a kid that Santa doesn't really exist.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. It's harsh to say Beckenbauer shouldn't in the top tier of anything though, I think. Di Stéfano's right up there in that top tier as far as I'm concerned, and come on, you have to throw Best in there...Ronaldo's really a case of what could have been, without those injuries there's every chance he would've been right up there but you can't really put him in on the basis of just 3 incredible seasons when the others dominated year after year.

Pace. Plus he played a vital role in a revolutionary team that won 3 European Cups in a row.

i agree with you, but on that basis you could argue kaka shouldnt be there at all. as far as im concerned he had one great year and was just a very good player apart from that.

i think for any of these lists you have to set a standard first. like a list of criteria or scoring system about what constitutes greatness. for example:

10 pts, ability at peak
10 pts, longevity
10 pts,success: x 3 categories: domestic,international,individual
5 pts, iconic status (Eg cantona)
up to 5 minus points: eg i think ronaldinho should lose points for throwing ability away,kaka for winding down so soon, gascoigne the same.
5 bonus points: given for big game performance, memorable goals or skills (eg cruyff turn, van basten volley, zidane was always a big game player

a system would go some way towards taking out the differential opinon of it. i for one think calling bergkamp,shevchenko or litmanen demi gods and just calling ryan giggs great is complete madness. others disagree. if i ever get time i might do something like that,even with just the players mentioned above

The list is a decent attempt, though I think Giggs, Rivaldo and Iniesta are all a tier too low.

Also, Rio Ferdinand should at least be in the list.

I'm starting to think Charlton is the most underrated player of all time, he should easily be in the top tier, maybe it's an image thing, the comb-over made him a bit of a joke.

Drugs are bad, mmkay.

In sports, people usually evolve. In some sports, it can be easily measured via faster runs, higher jumps, breaking records etc. The record for men's 100m 50 years ago was 40ms slower than the current record for example. Football at its core can be broken down to segments, speed, agility, timing, understanding, pace etc. We produce better results at each segment everyday via new ways of training, better understanding of our body and mind, more dedicated training and a bigger and more global selection of competitors and trainers.

This is my short answer.

I don't do drugs...

Physical evolution's one thing, but huge improvements in technical ability within the course of a generation? Giggs started playing when Maradona was still on the go, yet during the course of Giggs's career 100+ players have emerged with superior technical ability than Maradona?

72f1b1f1-7b00-45de-b69f-edb763c08e42_zps84502b9e.jpg

I'm probably doing Best a disservice, but when Ronaldo was at OT, I had to ask my dad, who had seen him play live, and I'm pretty sure he had Ronaldo above him. For all the magic he could produce, he could have days of sheer anonymity.

My perception of United's glory days were the mid to late 60s, not the early 70s, and Best's record between 69-72 were 70 goals in 150 appearances.

Obviously, in 68 he won WPOTY, but what was he doing before all that? We won the league in 67, so you can assume he was near the top then, but when we weren't winning the league? When Charlton and Law were the best players? Can you say he was still at the highest level?

Basically, if Best was so good, why did he, Law and Charlton all win the Ballon D'Or once each?

I always got the impression that 'on their day' Best was the best of the three, but his day wasn't often enough to be considered Maradona/Pele good.

Anyway, I'm sure all the Northern Irish posters (yourself?) will correct me ;)

I couldn't really answer that, bizarrely I've seen less of Best than of Di Stéfano because I've not been able to find the footage of United games during that time so even just from my own subjective view of their ability I have no answer. I just love the legend that surrounds Best. Charlton of course won the Ballon d'Or because he was given the opportunity to showcase his talent on the biggest stage with England, while Law was 6 years older than Best so happened to peak when Best was still a teenager - there was never a question of who was the better player of the two at their best.

There's no point in me even trying to answer any of those questions when there's people who watched him week in, week out on here so let's see what they say.

Henry is too high was my first impression.