Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I knew his critics would turn on him if the result went against Bayern tonight. So that's his name scratched off the list in the eyes of many then. I will admit he made a mistake taking off Kane and Sane, was he asked about this in the post match interview?

You could bet the CAF would have been waxing lyrical about him had Bayern prevailed tonight,unfortunately we are now going to hear him get it both barrels for the loss instead.
Personally, As a Bayern fan I could NEVER going to wax lyrical about him, regardless. . Not after the shambles of a league title defence whilst stacked and getting out of the German cup off a defeat by actual amateurs. Not withstanding his conflict with certain key players & bafflling ostracisng if a taoent like Zaragoza. I'm baffled how folks in here think someone with that level of failures with such a stacked Bayern could fair well with what's going on at United.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The competition is irrelevant…

If it was an FA cup semi against a decent prem team… the comparison still stands.

It’s the instinct to make that type of change that puts fans off.

Anyway, l’m not even saying I don’t think he’d be an improvement….

It’s just such a stupid binary argument, that you either need to think he is clearly the best thing since sliced bread, or atrocious.

Better than what we’ve got? Probably.

Those types of defensive instincts in that type of scenario a worry if he did come in? Also, probably.
I never said he is the best thing since slice bread, nobody has. He’s a very good manager that is far more proven than Ten Hag; both in Europe and domestically. Defending away against Real Madrid with a slim lead in the final 15 minutes isn’t a worry, it’s common sense. He set them up to compete which they did well, but for some better passing in the final third they could have scored a couple more goals. The competition is very relevant, and the comparison of a cup match against a ‘decent prem team’ compared to Real Madrid is very funny. Let’s remember Tuchel got to multiple domestic finals with Chelsea.

Ghostrider318

Personally, As a Bayern fan I could NEVER going to wax lyrical about him, regardless. . Not after the shambles of a league title defence whilst stacked and getting out of the German cup off a defeat by actual amateurs. Not withstanding his conflict with certain key players & bafflling ostracisng if a taoent like Zaragoza. I'm baffled how folks in here think someone with that level of failures with such a stacked Bayern could fair well with what's going on at United.
My major problem with him and Conte as well. They seem to have far too many public fallouts with players and managements. If we do get him its going to blow up spectacularly in our faces

croadyman

Never thought I would defend a German so vehemently but harsh to blame him on Leverkusen having a freak season,unexpected cup defeats can happen just look at us losing to the likes of Southend,Coventry,MK Dons in the League Cup. Yet again that conflict with players and management is rearing it's ugly head. Maybe we should ask the Chelsea fans in here about their experience.

croadyman

Chelsea's sloppy seconds FC, pretty uninspiring choice
Oh who do you want then,give up with people sticking the boot in on every choice put forward. I mean it's going so well at the moment isn't it yet constantly turning our noses up

sammyhol

I never said he is the best thing since slice bread, nobody has. He’s a very good manager that is far more proven than Ten Hag; both in Europe and domestically. Defending away against Real Madrid with a slim lead in the final 15 minutes isn’t a worry, it’s common sense. He set them up to compete which they did well, but for some better passing in the final third they could have scored a couple more goals. The competition is very relevant, and the comparison of a cup match against a ‘decent prem team’ compared to Real Madrid is very funny. Let’s remember Tuchel got to multiple domestic finals with Chelsea.
Multiple cup finals… so exactly like Ten Hag then.

Ah well, I guess this is what it’s all about anyway. Opinions.

But think I take the intel off the Bayern fan above who has watched them all season.

And who makes a very good point about their stacked squad in that league.

If Alonso and tuchel swapped jobs at the beginning of the season, I think it’s pretty safe bet that Leverkusen wouldn’t be champions right now!

luke511

Oh who do you want then,give up with people sticking the boot in on every choice put forward. I mean it's going so well at the moment isn't it yet constantly turning our noses up
Someone that hasn't been sacked off by Chelsea would be a great start.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
People are desperate

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm not even a fan of Tuchel, I'm on record blasting holes in his record at Chelsea and Bayern prior to tonight

But we share the same allergy
He's not our manager for 10 years but his adaptability is perfect for a transitional period with an owner that cannot overhaul the squad in 1 window.

How difficult is this to understand.

The Southgate comparisons are criminal though.

croadyman

Someone that hasn't been sacked off by Chelsea would be a great start.
He was sacked by Chelsea due to clueless Boehly and him clashing,think you will find Chelsea fans would take him back in a heartbeat given the chance

spiriticon

Well if ten Hag and Tuchel both pick fights with their best players... Then that leaves only Southgate.

Graham Potter let's goo!

croadyman

If it wasn't for Neuer's howler in the end, forum would be singing Tuchel's praises and then some.

Ruthless but such margins decide football.
Yeah was the exact point I made earlier, oh Tuchel why did you have to give those doubters in our fanbase ammunition. You could have silenced a few of them if hadn't made a defensive change when leading. Will never hear the end of it from our media for the next few days too which is annoying.

Tyrion

Said nothing about rich. I said levels. You outperform your XG by a ridiculous amount. XG has you sitting in 15th place. Shots conceded at the level of a normal relegation side. I don´t think I have ever seen a team finish in the top half of the table, where you can count the number of games that you played superior football to your opponent on one hand. Most mid table teams are inconsistent. They have good games and bad games. If that ratio is around 50/50 you finish mid-table. If it´s like 25/75 you usually are in a relegation struggle, not a EuroLeague fight like United.
You can't get lucky over an entire season. XG doesn't mean anything. Teams over and under perform it all the time.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah was the exact point I made earlier, oh Tuchel why did you have to give those doubters in our fanbase ammunition. You could have silenced a few of them if hadn't made a defensive change when leading. Will never hear the end of it from our media for the next few days too which is annoying.
Indeed, when in the meantime…
Tuchel took off Sane, Kane and Musiala towards the end of the game and, as he explained afterwards, it wasn't for tactical reasons.

“They couldn't carry on. They all signalled that they needed to come off,” the Bayern coach said.

Both Musiala and Sané have been struggling with injury problems of late and have been rested in recent Bundesliga matches. Kane, apparently, had problems with his back.

“He played with back pain and he couldn't keep going, his back froze up,” said Tuchel.

https://bulinews.com/tuchel-explains-why-took-kane-sane-and-musiala-off

croadyman

Tbf Carlo Ancelotti once lost a CL final 3-0 up. Guardiola's City let a lead go to this Real Madrid team in the dying minutes a few years ago. The margins at highest level are really fine - and even the best feck up occasionally. I'd say his 2 CL finals and 1 win gives him enough credit in the bank to mark this one as an anomaly.
Some will take any pot shots at him no matter whether other managers have lost big games from winning situations too

kaku06

Vulgarian
Personally, As a Bayern fan I could NEVER going to wax lyrical about him, regardless.
Whoa! So all these years you are living a privileged life here pretending to be a united fan and now this? Or am I the only one who wasn’t aware of your actual identity? If not then you deserve Orc treatment.

Tyrion

Some will take any pot shots at him no matter whether other managers have lost big games from winning situations too
Plenty of our fans make ridiculous arguments about managers to discredit them. I don't know why.

luke511

Guess we'll have to cross Ancelotti off the list if he ever becomes available then
I had Tuchel and Potter in mind, managers that we're currently linked with.. I'm just against the idea of hiring managers that have been sacked from rival clubs, Ancelotti is probably the only exception as he's an all time great.

luke511

Like Ole? Like Ten hag? Or like Southgate? Atleast try to be sincere when making an argument.
Ruben Amorim, Kieran McKenna, Iraola, I'd honestly get more excited us hiring Carrick over Tuchel. Tuchel is just a boring choice.

bondsname

If he comes here… let’s see how he handles 11 players making crucial mistakes like Neuer did.. on a weekly basis… against shite teams. He better get rid of that comb-over already because those last precious hairs are for sure not surviving the stress of being a United manager.

Salford_Red83

No. He's an incredibly overrated manager who has benefited from some impeccable timing and a hefty new manager bounce at Chelsea. He's achieved very little that makes him qualified for a job like ours.
Oh sure, sure...

I mean he's only won 1x German league, 1x German Cup, 2x French league, 1x French Cup, 1x French League Cup, 2x French Supercup, 1x Champions League, 1x Club World Cup, 1x Supercup.

But what has he done lately to prove that he could be the manager of our shambles of a club??

Amiright??

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I really don’t think Ineos will go for him and I don’t blame them. He has history of falling out with higher ups and they’re definitely going to want to avoid that on their very first appointment. Southgate sounds far safer for them.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Oh sure, sure...

I mean he's only won 1x German league, 1x German Cup, 2x French league, 1x French Cup, 1x French League Cup, 2x French Supercup, 1x Champions League, 1x Club World Cup, 1x Supercup.

But what has he done lately to prove that he could be the manager of our shambles of a club??

Amiright??
Just say the Champions League, it's quicker and has exactly the same level of impact.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't think Tuchel would have the patience to work with a club that will clearly need 2,3 years to start competing.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Ruben Amorim, Kieran McKenna, Iraola, I'd honestly get more excited us hiring Carrick over Tuchel. Tuchel is just a boring choice.
McKenna, Carrick already? Come on, it’s not the time. After 3-4 years, yeah maybe if they have shown enough. Iraola, I’m not sold at all. Amorim is an interesting choice. A young hungry manager with a winning pedigree with non favourites.

croadyman

He's not our manager for 10 years but his adaptability is perfect for a transitional period with an owner that cannot overhaul the squad in 1 window.

How difficult is this to understand.

The Southgate comparisons are criminal though.
Exactly why I feel he could be a good fit,I have always said he's not a long term manager but can get us back into Champions League. We could then go all in for an Alonso/Nagelsmann/Flick/Amorim type IF any of those are available in a couple of seasons

Salford_Red83

Never thought I would defend a German so vehemently but harsh to blame him on Leverkusen having a freak season,unexpected cup defeats can happen just look at us losing to the likes of Southend,Coventry,MK Dons in the League Cup. Yet again that conflict with players and management is rearing it's ugly head. Maybe we should ask the Chelsea fans in here about their experience.
Yeah I keep seeing this pop up again and again. Are people trying to will this into existence or something?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
ETH would've still be my preferred choice going into next season if he didn't piss his chance up the wall with his fecking oddball tactics.

croadyman

I really don’t think Ineos will go for him and I don’t blame them. He has history of falling out with higher ups and they’re definitely going to want to avoid that on their very first appointment. Southgate sounds far safer for them.
Ever thought he falls out because they have the wrong higher ups making those decisions in first place