The Third Redcafe Sheep Draft

Cal?

CR7 fan
That was my reasoning when I suggested him to EAP. Block would have been really bad though, as the French pool was crap apart from Zidane and Thuram.
True, it'd have been obvious to everyone that we'd both go for Thuram and anything else would make "the committee" very suspicious we colluded.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
From memory there were a couple of other fairly heavy hitters who nearly fell into the Zidane/Laudrup bracket.

Cal?

CR7 fan
For me that was the most obvious pick to be fair - Cal? with ZZ. I told @RedTiger as soon as I saw the criteria. :lol::lol:

Very good picks this round, @Cal? lMO is a clear winner with @mazhar13 and @Joga Bonito after him.

I was really surprised EAP didn't go for English player. I mean really surprised. :annoyed:
I'd add @The Stain to the clear winners too, we need to make sure to block you-know-who if he ever fits any of the criteria.

Enigma_87

You know who
True, it'd have been obvious to everyone that we'd both go for Thuram and anything else would make "the committee" very suspicious we colluded.
Still ballsy move. Well done. I had him to be blocked for sure and then Thuram was the only option with a so-so choice in another defender...

I'd add @The Stain to the clear winners too, we need to make sure to block you-know-who if he ever fits any of the criteria.
ah yeah, just saw he snatched Xavi.. I was not interested in ZZ to be fair, nowhere to put him, same for Xavi... Matthaus was my obvious choice...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Trying to justify my pick:

Fritz Walter
380 goals in 411 games :eek::eek:. Is he "just" another Frank Lampard? @Balu white text

Skizzo

For me that was the most obvious pick to be fair - Cal? with ZZ. I told @RedTiger as soon as I saw the criteria. :lol::lol:

Very good picks this round, @Cal? lMO is a clear winner with @mazhar13 and @Joga Bonito after him.

I was really surprised EAP didn't go for English player. I mean really surprised. :annoyed:
I'm glad I didn't know they were eligible, or it might have screwed everything up for me instead :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Surprised more folk didn't go down the Brazil route - 3 of the greatest ever full-backs to choose from.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's just I might end up with 10 AMs. Just like in my other drafts :lol:
You going 4-4-2 mate? Seeing you already have 2 out ant out strikers? I got Walter on my shortlist if we went for Matthaus due to the stats, but to be fair I know nothing about him..

ctp

Trying to justify my pick:

Fritz Walter
380 goals in 411 games :eek::eek:. Is he "just" another Frank Lampard? @Balu white text
Kicker ran a special on great coaches a while ago, and I remember a quote by Dettmar Cramer, who told Sepp Herberger "I have a player here, who's better than Fritz Walter", to which Herberger replied "Impossible". Cramer was talking about Beckenbauer, of course.

He's also a WC winning captain, honorary captain of the German national team and one of our biggest legends. Rainy conditions at a match are to this day called Fritz Walter weather.

Enigma_87

You know who
Surprised more folk didn't go down the Brazil route - 3 of the greatest ever full-backs to choose from.
More so with the Englishmen. 1 potential GOAT(apart from the one picked) with very good keeper as a backup and couple of midfielders and a forward if thinks didn't pan out...

Cal?

CR7 fan
Still ballsy move. Well done. I had him to be blocked for sure and then Thuram was the only option with a so-so choice in another defender...

ah yeah, just saw he snatched Xavi.. I was not interested in ZZ to be fair, nowhere to put him, same for Xavi... Matthaus was my obvious choice...
Matthaus was so famous for playing a zillion WC matches I found it hard to imagine he'd not get blocked, and Baresi looked so old when he missed that penalty even though he was just 34.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Rightly or wrongly I guess people don't think about fullbacks in the first few rounds...

Enigma_87

You know who
Matthaus was so famous for playing a zillion WC matches I found it hard to imagine he'd not get blocked, and Baresi looked so old when he missed that penalty even though he was just 34.
Nah I knew people knew about both Matthaus and Baresi(he put a MOTM performance in that final, not to mention all the noise that he was able to make it after the injury). But then we hoped Baresi didn't get blocked. The German pool was a bit of a nightmare besides Matthaus - two obvious keepers and 2 forwards, apart from that pretty much squat.

Well done to @Gio and the team, thoroughly enjoyed that round along with Chiliegate... :D:lol:

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
So fecking thrilled with Xavi! Whoever doesn't rate him is a spastic. I'm not having any of this "needs to play in a Barca setup" nonsense either (even if that's sort of the plan lelzy). These drafts are too defensive minded, i'm going full on attack! I shall outscore all y'all :D

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Rightly or wrongly I guess people don't think about fullbacks in the first few rounds...
I was very interested in getting myself a Brazilian full back, but what stopped me was my rush in submitting a pick (as if that would help me avoid blocks :lol:).

Cal?

CR7 fan
Nah I knew people knew about both Matthaus and Baresi(he put a MOTM performance in that final, not to mention all the noise that he was able to make it after the injury). But then we hoped Baresi didn't get blocked. The German pool was a bit of a nightmare besides Matthaus - two obvious keepers and 2 forwards, apart from that pretty much squat.

Well done to @Gio and the team, thoroughly enjoyed that round along with Chiliegate... :D:lol:
I thought about Baresi for quite a while, but the only problem was that Italy have quite a few golden oldies that made Baresi seem like the obvious pick and would have ended in a clusterfeck with lots of people going for the remaining Italians, as witnessed with Tupper and EAP/Ctp.

Agree completely with your thoughts on Germany too.

Well done to @Gio and the committee... great round! :D

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You going 4-4-2 mate? Seeing you already have 2 out ant out strikers? I got Walter on my shortlist if we went for Matthaus due to the stats, but to be fair I know nothing about him..
Sivori could be LWF or SS. Fritz could be SS and AM. They aren't "out and out" strikers, though. Quoting Balu's best Germany WC XI

A German best of World Cup XI? I'd probably go with a 352

Seeler Müller
Walter
Brehme -- Breitner -- Matthäus -- Lahm
Schnellinger Beckenbauer Förster
Maier

Kicker ran a special on great coaches a while ago, and I remember a quote by Dettmar Cramer, who told Sepp Herberger "I have a player here, who's better than Fritz Walter", to which Herberger replied "Impossible". Cramer was talking about Beckenbauer, of course.

He's also a WC winning captain, honorary captain of the German national team and one of our biggest legends. Rainy conditions at a match are to this day called Fritz Walter weather.
Thanks for the heads up. That's what I read, too. Are you from Germany?

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
More so with the Englishmen. 1 potential GOAT(apart from the one picked) with very good keeper as a backup and couple of midfielders and a forward if thinks didn't pan out...
Not sure who the potential GOAT would be. I can think of one truly brilliant player who I'd say is easily on Matthews' level - but I doubt he'd be sell-able as a GOAT in this draft.

There were a good few very decent alternatives in the English pool, though - no question about that.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
After researching the potential picks I missed out on, this was my perfect pick as, if he was blocked, I would have an open pool available for Rounds 2 and 3. Still, I'm very happy with Matthews.
Excellent pick, buddy.

Enigma_87

You know who
Sivori could be LWF or SS. Fritz could be SS and AM. They aren't "out and out" strikers, though.
I read that Walter was a striker, but again know nothing about him. Sivori as well from my readings was central but wasn't all sure if as a leading the line striker or a SS. Looking forward to your descriptions then.

Not sure who the potential GOAT would be. I can think of one truly brilliant player who I'd say is easily on Matthews' level - but I doubt he'd be sell-able as a GOAT in this draft.

There were a good few very decent alternatives in the English pool, though - no question about that.
Well I think we're talking about the same one. I rate him a lot, but yeah maybe not that much around here if we go by the names purely.