The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vertonghen is almost 10 years older. I remember Vertonghen when he was at Ajax playing his trade at left back, and how he was an accident waiting to happen in his early years in England. Give it time.

Who said I'm not giving him time? Sanchez is bang average NOW. If he reduces how often he makes errors, and improves his passing then I'll have a higher opinion of him.

My opinion of him is not set in stone, if he performs consistently better next season then I'll give him credit :)

Lloris is one of the most overrated keepers around. Has made a lot of errors in this season.

Overrated? Not really, people pretty much knows he had a lot of howlers in him. So not overrated, just pretty average - not even close to being a top 4-GK

Lloris is one of the most overrated keepers around. Has made a lot of errors in this season.
Hardly overrated. He’s been a top keeper for years.

Awful since at least Christmas though. Surely he’s not old enough for it to be a permanent decline?

I’m surprised he hasn’t been dropped. My Captain Shall Always Play?

Who’s the French reserve keeper? He needs to be getting some games before the summer.

Apart from the fact that Spurs are the most in-form clubs atm while City just lost their 3 most important games in this season in a row. Oh, and you won your last 2 home games against City. Surely thats a fact you should win this game or at least put a fight to win this game. MOst of people would've tought Spurs will win this game. You would be lying if you dont have hope to win this game.

Oh I hoped to win it of course but I certainly didn't think we would.

So, even though Spurs are the most in-form team, while City lost their last 3 games...etc.
You, a Spurs fan, still believed that your team would lose?
What about in the FA Cup, do you think that is also a nailed on loss for you?

If you've maintained that opinion that's good for you. It's the swinging from one opinion to another that's stupid. I appreciate football fans are hypocrites and love to cry woe is me when they're facing it, but love to give it out. But at least try and be subtle about it - it's very easy to wait for a defeat to proclaim these opinions.

Or maybe you should know redcafe is not a single person, it's a forum with 1000s of posters. You read good things from some set of fans and bad about player from other set of fans. Unless you search the posts from the same poster who posted on both sides, your first post makes no sense.

Also changing opinion in football is fine, not changing it even when you are wrong is stupid. It actually makes forums lot better place if posters are big enough to admit they are wrong about a player and change their opinions rather than digging bigger hole every time they try to defend their opinion.

Last edited:
So, even though Spurs are the most in-form team, while City lost their last 3 games...etc.
You, a Spurs fan, still believed that your team would lose?
What about in the FA Cup, do you think that is also a nailed on loss for you?
I'm a spurs fan so by nature pessimistic

I don't believe I made any, far less concerning today's match. But don't let your hysteria stop saying otherwise.

Short term memory loss can be a result of a blow to the head... I guess a lot of blows to the head would explain your posts tbh

Very disappointed with the performance yesterday, it wasn't good enough from multiple players. I didn't really get what Poch was setting out to do either to be honest.

Well deserved loss.

Also, for people criticising Sanchez, very reactionary. He undoubtedly had a poor game yesterday and isn't the finished article by any means. He isn't as good as Alderweirald is right now.

However, you cannot carry a centre back and perform as well as we have been doing. Prior to this loss, we were on our longest domestic unbeaten run since the 60s I think, 14 games unbeaten (11 wins, 3 draws), with the least goals conceded of any club in that period. How many 21 year old cenyre backs are playing regularly in the top leagues and how many are contributing to a defensive record like that?

As for exposed against top teams, he's played and beaten Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real, Dortmund. Strange thing to say.

Also frankly, there is no point bringing up Alderweirald any more. Whatever has happened, he has seemingly burned his bridges at the club. Even Walker coming in and basically asking for a transfer mid title run in still played afterwards. He must have really pissed Poch off to not even be in the squad anymore.

It is what it is. We've not had him since November and we're 4th, good chance of 3rd and in the FA cup semi final. I'd say we've coped relatively well, even if he is objectively obviously better than Sanchez.

Last edited:
Or maybe you should know redcafe is not a single person, it's a forum with 1000s of posters. You read good things from some set of fans and bad about player from other set of fans. Unless you search the posts from the same poster who posted on both sides, your first post makes no sense.

Also changing opinion in football is fine, not changing it even when you are wrong is stupid. It actually makes forums lot better place if posters are big enough to admit they are wrong about a player and change their opinions rather than digging bigger hole every time they try to defend their opinion.

I appreciate that. The same discussion has been had about the UTD forum with focus on newbies. So it's not without basis.

Just to clarify my post re Sanchez.

Toby Aldewereld has not played a league game since October. He went off injured against Real Madrid and since has played just two games - the Rochdale game and replay.

In that time he's been away Sanchez has been in the losing team three times: Leicester, Juventus and City.

Yesterday was Spurs first defeat in the league in 2018, a run of 14 matches. Before yesterday they conceded 9 in the previous 13. A couple off memory were blatant blunders by Lloris.

So to say they miss Aldewereld after yesterday's result is outcome bias in my eyes. How much more would he have actually improved their results?

He's a good defender - but knee injuries can be serious and we don't know how he'll return. Pochettino is taking no chances and sticks by his incumbent players. Similar to how Danny Rose is now back up.

I appreciate that. The same discussion has been had about the UTD forum with focus on newbies. So it's not without basis.

Just to clarify my post re Sanchez.

Toby Aldewereld has not played a league game since October. He went off injured against Real Madrid and since has played just two games - the Rochdale game and replay.

In that time he's been away Sanchez has been in the losing team three times: Leicester, Juventus and City.

Yesterday was Spurs first defeat in the league in 2018, a run of 14 matches. Before yesterday they conceded 9 in the previous 13. A couple off memory were blatant blunders by Lloris.

So to say they miss Aldewereld after yesterday's result is outcome bias in my eyes. How much more would he have actually improved their results?

He's a good defender - but knee injuries can be serious and we don't know how he'll return. Pochettino is taking no chances and sticks by his incumbent players. Similar to how Danny Rose is now back up.

Sanchez is obviously good player and he is young one too so he has lot of scope for big improvements. Few on caf overrated him a lot before and now people are over critical on him. It's always the case with any player, especially other club players, when some Manutd fans can't wait to big someone up for whatever reasons.

I have always said he is a good CB but makes mistakes and is slow to react, haven't seen anything to change my opinion. He will be very good CB though as he has all the attributes and also he will be learning under Poch.

Who’s a better side these days? Spurs or United? Genuinely interested in everyone’s opinions.

I wonder if Aldewereld might get a recall after Sanchez's performance yesterday? Poch has been saying he's only been out of the squad due to the form of others so if that's the truth then surely he's due a recall now?

I wonder if Aldewereld might get a recall after Sanchez's performance yesterday? Poch has been saying he's only been out of the squad due to the form of others so if that's the truth then surely he's due a recall now?

No, we've lost 1 in 15 games and Poch isn't reactionary in that way at all. He isn't the kind of manager to drop a player after one bad game.

As I said earlier though, I suspect this is no longer for footballing reasons anyway.

Can you really judge something like that from one match? Are Huddersfield better than United because they beat us?
No you can't but looking at the season, you can't say there's much between both sides.
However, in what is a must-win game, I'd expect the better side to show it.

No you can't but looking at the season, you can't say there's much between both sides.
I disagree. A cup fixture/result means nothing.

I think last season Spurs were a better side than us even though we won two trophies.

This season however we’ve proved that we’re up there with the best. It’s why we’re second.

Depends on who is playing at home too.

Getting beaten by a team that has lost its last 3 and have had all sorts of questions asked about them without really putting up much of a fight when your supposed to be the second best team in the county as we keep getting told by everyone in the media. Yes, that’s Spursy

Not too many Spurs fans expected Pep to lose 4 in a row. They had a huge point to prove and played well enough in those unfortunate losses to suggest that their bad luck would run out and we got the brunt of it. We needed to be at the top of our game to stand a chance and were nowhere near so - that said we have some weaknesses at FB and midfield and City have that blend of skill and pace to expose us, they're just better than us 9 times out of 10. A huge kick up the arse for next week, tough game and of course you don't have the tools or the style to expose us as City have twice this season, but Jose can still outfox Poch for sure.

I think losing to City is quite a bit less embarrassing than losing to West Brom.

Vertonghen is almost 10 years older. I remember Vertonghen when he was at Ajax playing his trade at left back, and how he was an accident waiting to happen in his early years in England. Give it time.

vertonghen never really played left back. vermaelen did quite a bit. vertonghen was predominantly a midfielder until his early 20s.

Spurs aren’t quite as good as the media like to proclaim.

And with Ali they have a really unlikeable player. I can’t help but feel all his snide kicks, diving and general Cnutush behaviour would be highlighted much more if he was playing for us. Don’t really know why he gets away with it now really.

Spurs aren’t quite as good as the media like to proclaim.

And with Ali they have a really unlikeable player. I can’t help but feel all his snide kicks, diving and general Cnutush behaviour would be highlighted much more if he was playing for us. Don’t really know why he gets away with it now really.

Not sure why you feel the need to jump into a spurs thread just to insult a team and single someone out for no apparent reason. It brings absolutely nothing but antagonism to the thread. I'm happy to discuss with you if you say why you think Spurs aren't as good or what Alli has done to get on your nerves, but this just seem to be random shit-talk without substance.

And on Alli, I can think of plenty of players who dived lately, and none of them Alli, and imo, he does get quite a lot of attention.

Not sure why you feel the need to jump into a spurs thread just to insult a team and single someone out for no apparent reason. It brings absolutely nothing but antagonism to the thread. I'm happy to discuss with you if you say why you think Spurs aren't as good or what Alli has done to get on your nerves, but this just seem to be random shit-talk without substance.

And on Alli, I can think of plenty of players who dived lately, and none of them Alli, and imo, he does get quite a lot of attention.

Because Ali plays for Spurs? Am I only allowed to give my positive opinion of Spurs over the season?

I told you why Ali gets on my nerves in the previous post. It’s the diving and the pretty nasty steak he has in him. Which I notice in every game I watch him play- if you dont wish to discuss that then don’t worry about it.

Everybody defends Ali to a crazy degree ‘ he’s young’ ‘hes a talented kid’ ‘ he has that little bit of a nasty streak you need to be a top player’ That has been the Ali narrative the last couple of years from what I’ve seen/read.

Who’s a better side these days? Spurs or United? Genuinely interested in everyone’s opinions.

We sit just above them in the league, so over the course of the season im going with us, but it's very close. If you look at a combined team it would be about 50/50.

I think they're better balanced. They dont really have any glaring weaknesses or areas that they desperately need to improve in and their team and players work well together and complement each other and their tactics. I think were marginally better than them despite not being great in most of them areas.
I'd have a hard time saying why tbh. We just have a couple more game changers like De Gea in the team i guess? If you dropped a Neymar into their team they'd probably go toe to toe with anyone really. We need much more surgery and one player isn't going to make a drastic difference to us. Neymar would probably do more harm than good to us really.

We sit just above them in the league, so over the course of the season im going with us, but it's very close. If you look at a combined team it would be about 50/50.
I'd say Spurs are the 4th best at the moment. Though it's close between all three of United, Liverpool and them. I'd put us (Liverpool) and United at about the same, but the league doesn't reflect that so what do I know? :)

Also, I have to add, Spurs are the only side I've seen dominate us at Anfield this season, though they were chasing the game, they still pinned us back impressively.

Last edited:
No, we've lost 1 in 15 games and Poch isn't reactionary in that way at all. He isn't the kind of manager to drop a player after one bad game.

As I said earlier though, I suspect this is no longer for footballing reasons anyway.

Shows what you know :p

Shows what you know :p

Haha! I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to see him again in a Spurs shirt.

Still, Poch made it clear that this is the match he was rotating for, hence why we saw Moura's qst PL start, Sissoko back (shudder) and Wanyama and Aurier etc.

If they're happy to play nicely, would be great to see him back in the squad for the last 5 (hopefully 6) games of our season.

Spurs bench looked pretty average in the Brighton game I watched, Sissoko, not even sure what he does or is meant to do. Aurier is straight up a disaster with his decision making, such a downgrade from Walker, what happened to Trippier? He looked good the couple times I seen him playing. Lamela a bit of a nothing player and a sick note, granted he is one of the most aggressive pressers in the league but you want your creative players assisting or scoring goals. It's telling that without him they have finished what? 3rd and 2nd, hes not the player to take them to first.

I dont mind Wanyama, solid no nonsense DM and Moura it is way too early to judge, but he looked lively tbf. Davies solid backup for Rose and Llorente is better than the academy graduates they had on the bench prior to bringing him in. Hes probably happy to play from the bench behind Kane at his age as well.

Sloppy game yesterday, but it was on paper our most difficult remaining game and Poch rotated a bit, but was still not great. Credit to Brighton though, they played really well. Not the end of the world with top 4 all but secured, although 2nd seem impossible now unless United get another result like West Brom and Liverpool stumble as well.

As a side note, what was up with the pitch? Everyone kept falling everywhere.

I think you're trying to get 3rd place and golden boot for Kane at the same time. May end up getting neither if you continue trying to give him every ball.

I think you're trying to get 3rd place and golden boot for Kane at the same time. May end up getting neither if you continue trying to give him every ball.

I thought this as soon as i saw him waiting to take that free kick in the first half - his shoot-on-sight policy, and greed for wanting to win the Golden Boot (not necessarily a fault) could be detrimental to the rest of spurs run in. (not that there is too much to play for)

Wasn't the same game I watched. Kane didn't shoot much more than usual, we were just bad at breaking them down. Salah was shooting just as much if not more instead of passing against Bournemouth iirc.

Wasn't a great game but I really doubt they care about padding stats over winning the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.