Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Gospel According to St. Matthew - Revolutionary Jesus, Italian neorealism style, with some early cinéma vérité touches. It was a bit rough around the edges at places but I thought it looked quite beautiful. I was a little suprised how much Pasolini held back, considering his views and because of the other works I've seen from him but the fact that he had a nostalgia for a belief sort of explained all that. Great mix of music too, ranging from Bach to somewhat surprisingly, Blind Willie Johnson.

And of the two, the concrete plot gets the bulk of the dialogue. By about 3 or 4:1 ratio. All the meaty personal crisis dialogue is short and to the point. The fecking concrete gets hours of exposition. For a 90 minute film, you could very easily make a 70 minute edit of a man sitting in a car talking about concrete. Occasionally interspersed with a voice on the phone getting disproportionately irate about the concrete to engineer some tension, in a way no one has ever done about concrete, ever. "Jesus Christ Ivan, the concrete! But..THE CONCRETE IVAN!!" The writer was very eager to let us know how much research he'd done on concrete, and different types of concrete pumping pressure and which forms you need to sign off to authorise concrezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I hope at least one person wrote a review entirely in concrete metaphors. Because for long periods, it's like watching concrete dry.

I think I'd enjoy that...but only if there was also some stuff involving wood and carpentry.

There are basically two plots:
his illegitimate baby being born and a supply of concrete being delivered, for which he debates whether or not he should take responsibility. Most of the dialogue around the concrete plot is clumsily written to mirror his choices that have lead to the pregnancy and the effect it is having on his marriage. "Concrete is permanent, it changes things, and is being delivered in the morning... etc"

I got bored of it very quickly.

And of the two, the concrete plot gets the bulk of the dialogue. By about 3 or 4:1 ratio. All the meaty personal crisis dialogue is short and to the point. The fecking concrete gets hours of exposition. For a 90 minute film, you could very easily make a 70 minute edit of a man sitting in a car talking about concrete. Occasionally interspersed with a voice on the phone getting disproportionately irate about the concrete to engineer some tension, in a way no one has ever done about concrete, ever. "Jesus Christ Ivan, the concrete! But..THE CONCRETE IVAN!!" The writer was very eager to let us know how much research he'd done on concrete, and different types of concrete pumping pressure and which forms you need to sign off to authorise concrezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I hope at least one person wrote a review entirely in concrete metaphors. Because for long periods, it's like watching concrete dry.

I think I saw it at the flicks. As for the boring concrete storyline and what not...perhaps it was showing that Locke was a work obsessed, tedious cnut who was anal about everything that he did, that is except for getting a possible fat bird pregnant in one attempt? Was a massive mistake...for such a good, principled, family man who loved...well...concrete (what isn't there to love about concrete... )?

Concrete is boring. He was boring. His affair wasn't as boring. Or something.

Last edited:
I think I saw it at the flicks. As for the boring concrete storyline and what not...perhaps it was showing that Locke was a work obsessed, tedious cnut who was anal about everything that he did, that is except for getting a possible fat bird pregnant in one attempt? Was a massive mistake...for such a good, principled, family man who loved...well...concrete (what isn't there to love about concrete... )?

Concrete is boring. He was boring. His affair wasn't as boring. Or something.

He also came across ever so slightly as a psychopath I felt. Which perhaps would've been an interesting avenue to explore, were it not channeled exclusively through his obsessive relationship with concrete.

Though I've a feeling this was merely an unintentional consequence of him needlessly doing the whole thing in an unconvincing Anthony Hopkins impression.

It was a relatively interesting exercise in minimalism, sure, but hamstrung by its inherent tedium. And the fecking concrete

There are basically two plots:
his illegitimate baby being born and a supply of concrete being delivered, for which he debates whether or not he should take responsibility. Most of the dialogue around the concrete plot is clumsily written to mirror his choices that have lead to the pregnancy and the effect it is having on his marriage. "Concrete is permanent, it changes things, and is being delivered in the morning... etc"

I got bored of it very quickly.
Yep, there was something along the lines of "...the foundation needs to be solid, one little crack and the whole building comes down." which almost made me vomit.

This film is all what's wrong with modern cinema imo. "Hey look, I can make a film about a guy sitting in his car which will keep you entertained throughout with the deep metaphorical dialogue."

No, just no. I don't fecking care. If I wanted to listen to a conversation I'd put on a podcast, at least this way I'd choose the fecking subject.

Last edited:
You definitely get the feeling that if they hadn't managed to get a much loved, A-list, in demand actor to play the role, it would've been an absolute nonentity. Though if they hadn't, they might have at least convinced him not to do the whole thing in a silly accent.

There is absolutely no plot driven reason for him to be Welsh. In fact all of his family are English, so it's even more nonsensicle. It sounds like a churlish annoyance, but you do spend a fair part of it distracted by how his accents going. You get to points where he seems a bit detached, or a bit overwraught, but you're never quite sure whether those are the inflections he's going for, or whether he's just overdoing the Richard Burton impression.

It feels like an entirely actory driven decision to be as actory as possibly. Which I suppose if I'd written a 90 minute script about concrete and somehow gotten Tom Hardy to star in it, I'd probably aquiese to as well.

Last edited:
The last scene of Before Sunset... I don't think it could have been any more perfect. Preferred it to Sunrise (the melancholy of Sunset was a great change of tone), now have to watch Midnight asap.

I thought all Welsh accents sounded that ridiculous though.

That's the thing. I'm not really au fait with Welsh accents, but from the little I do know, it sounded wrong. Like luvvie welsh. Welsh as you'd imagine it if the only Welsh people you'd ever heard were Anthony Hopkins and Richard Burton. Not even Tom Jones (who'd be my go to) or Rob Brydon. Just those two slightly English sounding, stagey posh semi-Welsh people.

And even if it was pitch perfect, there was still no reason to do it. No part of the script called for it. And it distracted me by the very virtue that I knew he was doing it, and I couldn't work out whether the slightly off inflections were purposefuly deep, introspective character notes, or just a bit of an accent slip. At least if he'd been doing his own voice I'd have know he was deliberately being weird, rather than accidentally being weird. Here I never knew. Largely because he was talking about fecking concrete most of the time.

That's the thing. I'm not really au fait with Welsh accents, but from the little I do know, it sounded wrong. Like luvvie welsh. Welsh as you'd imagine it if the only Welsh people you'd ever heard were Anthony Hopkins and Richard Burton. Not even Tom Jones (who'd be my go to) or Rob Brydon. Just those two slightly English sounding, stagey posh semi-Welsh people.

And even if it was pitch perfect, there was still no reason to do it. No part of the script called for it. And it distracted me by the very virtue that I knew he was doing it, and I couldn't work out whether the slightly off inflections were purposefuly deep, introspective character notes, or just a bit of an accent slip. At least if he'd been doing his own voice I'd have know he was deliberately being weird, rather than accidentally being weird. Here I never knew. Largely because he was talking about fecking concrete most of the time.
My family is Welsh and his accent was pretty poor and inconsistent. Any time he had to portray emotion he went into his standard posh English voice.

Cube
A bunch of strangers wake up trapped and must go through a maze whilst selecting each room strategically due to various booby traps. Very underrated horror/thriller/mystery film. Shot on a miniscule budget, the acting is a bit ropey and the dialogue leaves a lot to be desired but the actual concept and directing techniques really make it worth a watch. There is scene in particular where the captives have to go through a room without making a sound, that is VERY tense. Really enjoyed this film 7.5/10
Yeah I saw it recently, it's really very good despite the acting. I'd read an article on it a few months ago, about how the director had had to be pretty clever with certain techniques and so on, and it made me want to watch it, I'd never gotten round to do so.
Must be a new Goal sequel.
Exactly what the cinema industry has been crying out for!

The Nameless
Spanish film about a grieving mother who gets a call from the dead daughter a few years after the death. Thriller with a touch of horror, like an inferior version of Se7en. The shot composition and overall cinematography was pretty sweet but the narrative took too long to unravel and although the destination was interesting enough, the journey was too tiresome and boring. Some moments of shock here and there but pretty forgettable 4.5/10

The last scene of Before Sunset... I don't think it could have been any more perfect. Preferred it to Sunrise (the melancholy of Sunset was a great change of tone), now have to watch Midnight asap.

I liked them all almost equally. My wife wasn't so keen on the last one. Their weakness is also their strength i.e very wordy. Not to be watched when you are in the mood for a popcorn action flick.

I liked them all almost equally. My wife wasn't so keen on the last one. Their weakness is also their strength i.e very wordy. Not to be watched when you are in the mood for a popcorn action flick.

Trying to think if there's ever been a better trilogy...

Yeah, Toy Story and Indy would be contenders but apart from that, nah, can't see many I'd favour over Linklater's trilogy.
If Sharknado had sequels, it would be a better trilogy.

I never understood what was so great about a long conversation between 2 characters. I think I would even prefer Locke, which was a solid piece of garbage.

I've only watched the first one, mind you. Might rewatch it to see if my taste has changed over the last decade.

If Sharknado had sequels, it would be a better trilogy.

I never understood what was so great about a long conversation between 2 characters. I think I would even prefer Locke, which was a solid piece of garbage.

I've only watched the first one, mind you. Might rewatch it to see if my taste has changed over the last decade.

Yeah, the first one isn't to everyone's tastes and I found it a bit too sickly sweet at times (college kids with their heads up their own ar£es to a certain extent), but I think that's the real beauty of the trilogy since it's those flaws that actually become its strengths when viewed alongside its sequels.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the fact that Alien 3 felt like such a huge mess. However, I watched an alternate version to it (and not the cinema release) as it was available on the BR which is meant to be closer to Fincher's vision (without it being a director's cut per se given he's refused to be associated with it), and apparently the two versions are very different, can't remember specifically how, but I was chatting to a friend about the film and he kept saying 'wait no, that didn't happen like that' 'nah this is what happened' etc.

Fahrenheit 451 - Meh. Nice cinematography and score but the garish colours and dated elements (toy cars, jet packs on strings) added with the dodgy acting was just too much for me in the end.

Last edited:
Savages: A movie with two endings and both of them are retarded. Full of woolly minded ideas, inconsistencies and a disjointed story line; this would only be notable for its beautiful settings if it wasn't for the fact that they have somehow even managed to f**k most of that up by using a a similar "metallic" type effect on the camera/film stock to the film Traffic (a vastly superior film about roughly the same subject). A film full of dumb ideas, avoid or go one step better and avoid and watch Traffic instead.

4/10

Last edited:
It was horrible.

Seriously, watch it again. It's not too bad at all. True, it has its flaws, but what I like about it is that it maintains a sense of foreboding and dread throughout, which is what you want from an Alien flick.... it still feels like part of the family. The next one though!!

Gomorra (2008) - At the start of the film I thought "This is going to be depressing", and when it ended I thought "That was depressing". Depressing/10.

Yeah, Toy Story and Indy would be contenders but apart from that, nah, can't see many I'd favour over Linklater's trilogy.
Shouldn't all films of a trilogy be good to call the trilogy great? Temple of doom is an abomination, it's easily the worst Indy ever and yes that includes that hilariously bad Indy vs Aliens with crystal skulls flick they made a few years ago. I'd argue that the Indy trilogy is the one with the biggest gap in quality between the first and second film ever.

Seriously, watch it again. It's not too bad at all. True, it has its flaws, but what I like about it is that it maintains a sense of foreboding and dread throughout, which is what you want from an Alien flick.... it still feels like part of the family. The next one though!!

I watched it not that long ago. Just chase chase chase without any of the redeeming qualities of the first 2. Even worse than part 4 imo.