Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Watched Django Unchained last night, absolutely loved it, had everything, great acting, comedy, action, great music, Christophe Waltz stole the show

Half price in sky store atm. Said to someone yesterday the N-Bomb must be used nearly 200 times. After some research found it to be 112. Typical Tarentino though, some great performances and superbly directed.

Pineapple Express. Was trying to get This is the End but there's not a decent torrent yet so I watched this from a few years ago instead. You know, I thought it was 90% shit and 10% laugh out loud. It's very rare for me to actually laugh at a movie so this was strange. The plot, script and acting were pretty terrible but some of the one-off gags and the fight scenes were fantastic. Probably worth a look if you have nothing else to pass a few hours. 6/10

Welcome To The Punch - Like someone had watched Heat and decided to make an uninspired by the numbers British remake in the style of the PS3 game The Getaway.

Somehow got some really good actors to say it's lame, perfunctory dialogue before realising it was awful and filming the last hour completely in slow motion action sequences, hero shots and heavily scored staring competitions.

Why James McAavoy keeps getting cast as an action hero baffles me. He's somehow both better than and not good enough at it.

Somewhere between a 5.8 and a 6.2. Entirely for the fact it's quite well made and has good actors in it. But it's still rubbish.

Mud Despite a fairly top end cast the young lead steals this film with a brilliantly understated performance. Definite hints of Stand By Me do the film no harm and almost by definition one of my favorite films of the year. At over 2 hours long make sure you are in the right mood for a long fairly slow film or you will miss the best that this film has to offer. A must see. 8.5/10

Mud Despite a fairly top end cast the young lead steals this film with a brilliantly understated performance. Definite hints of Stand By Me do the film no harm and almost by definition one of my favorite films of the year. At over 2 hours long make sure you are in the right mood for a long fairly slow film or you will miss the best that this film has to offer. A must see. 8.5/10
Great film. Loved it and especially agree with the end part of your review.

Watched loads of movies in the last week. I dont do reviews but here are my ratings -

Django Unchained - 9/10
Zero Dark Thirty - 8/10
Flight - 7/10
Life of Pi - 8/10
The Impossible - 6/10
Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy - 5/10
Argo - 7/10
Wrath of the Titans 3/10

Thanks for the views on Ordet. Took me a long time to be in the right mood to watch Silent Light, so it will probably be an age before I get round to Ordet. I have Kitano's Dolls lined up for this weekend, which I'm looking forward to.

Really happy to read the positive review of Partridge. The trailers didn't promise much but I guess tempered expectations are always a good thing for those type of films.

Dolls is probably my fave Kitano movie... That said you have to be in the right mood, and very alert.

Watched loads of movies in the last week. I dont do reviews but here are my ratings -

Django Unchained - 9/10
Zero Dark Thirty - 8/10
Flight - 7/10
Life of Pi - 8/10
The Impossible - 6/10
Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy - 5/10
Argo - 7/10
Wrath of the Titans 3/10

Flight was a bag of shite imo and not up to Washington's usual high standards but I agree with Django, excellent film!

Nah, Flight was pretty good. Was good to see Washington play a character with shades of grey - which is when he's at his best in my opinion.

Now The Impossible, that is an actual bag of shite.

Pumping Iron

Homoerotic. Didn't really have much to say other than Arnold Schwarzenegger is a prick. Does a good job of conveying that though. 7/10

The Place Beyond The Pines

Maybe my expectations weren't very high after having read some reviews about it but I thought this was a really good film.

If I had any point of criticism is that it was a bit long winded near the end but other than that I really enjoyed it. 7/10

Sinister
Didn't enjoy this film much the first time I saw it because the trailers were fresh in my mind, which pretty much showed the best bits. Re-watched it yesterday with the memory of the trailers having faded and enjoyed it a lot more. Also took more notice on the soundtrack, which is bloody brilliant. It relies a lot on jump scares and some of them are quite random and cheap but they are placed well and the suspense created by the rest of the film means that the jump scares worked 90% of the time. 8/10

not a film review , I saw this on Facebook and thought it was spot on.

After having watched a few horror movies over the past few weeks, here are the rules for 'would be' directors/producers.....
1. Actors come in only two categories, three girls and three guys 20 something or married couple with 2 kids one of which MUST be a girl.
2. Families MUST have a dog, and the dog must (a.) Refuse to go into house.
(b.) Die in the first 15 minutes.
3. NEVER ask the estate agent why the house you bought is less than half the market value.
4. ALWAYS have a set of sharp knives on display in the kitchen.
5. In house telephones must not work, and you must live in the middle of nowhere ( always check you have no signal on your mobile before making a bid on the house.)
6. There MUST be a cellar/attic with no electricity.
7. If you can't afford a house, rent a log cabin for the weekend.
8. In the three girls/three boys scenario, one girl must be a slut and one boy a 'pothead.'
9. The 'clever, virgin girl' AND the murderer MUST survive...... So the film company can milk the feck out of the film by making numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6, 7, and the 3d version.
10. Clocks all stop at the same time in the middle of the night.
11. Always wait until your scared shitless before contacting the local priest, and remember he IS likely to run out of your house and drive away like Jenson Button never to be seen again.
12. Pack plenty of ajax, walls bleed.
Hope this helps any budding film directors out there.

Safe House, Deja Vu, The Book of Eli, Taking of Pelham 123, Man on Fire, John Q, The Bone Collector, Fallen, The Siege, Out of Time, Training Day, Remember the Titans.

The guy has a hit rate slightly higher than Adam Sandler.

I liked Safe House, and you're right about a few of those, but Training Day? It's immense!

Safe House, Deja Vu, The Book of Eli, Taking of Pelham 123, Man on Fire, John Q, The Bone Collector, Fallen, The Siege, Out of Time, Training Day, Remember the Titans.

Seriously? I thought it was a great film. Man on Fire was hardly Adam Sandler worthy either. I do agree in general though, for such a good actor he's made quite a few shit films.

Most of those are good but not amazing movies and are certainly not anywhere near the dross that Sandler has spent most of his career churning out.

Yeah ridiculous comparison there by Archie, very weird. Some of those films are crap, some are actually very good, others are just decent entertainment and don't aim to be more... Nothing like Sandler's career (and I know you're not talking about his talent as an actor thank God).

The point was No 8 mentioned Denzel's usual high standard. But he doesn't have a usual high standard, he has a usual low standard, considering he makes far more average to crap films than he does good ones. I compared him to Sandler because he has probably the worst ratio in that respect, it was hyperbole.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - as an avid Partridge fan I was a little sceptical that this would live up to it's high standards that Partridge fans alike have come to know from Coogan's previous work, the trailer had it's funny moments but still didn't reassure. Well, I went to see Alpha Papa last night, and fans be rest assured that this is no other than a Partridge triumph. The comedy didn't take long to start up with some excellent opening credits and the laughs just keep coming quicker & quicker from there on. A few familiar faces from the past series make an appearance in the film, and a certain Geordie friend has some great scene stealing moments - especially one towards the films climax. Overall fans of the character should be pleased with the result and will thoroughly enjoy this, outsiders maybe not so much - but no doubt you will still be laughing along pretty often at the jokes too. A couple of slow points, but overall a strong 9/10

Just got back from it myself. I personally wouldn't rate it that high. I don't think it's as anywhere near the level of IAP or Mid Morning Matters but hell it's another 90 minutes of probably the best comic creation ever so that's fine by me. Simply watching Alan miming his way through Roachfords 'Cuddly Toy' in the opening credits was worth the price of admission.

The point was No 8 mentioned Denzel's usual high standard. But he doesn't have a usual high standard, he has a usual low standard, considering he makes far more average to crap films than he does good ones. I compared him to Sandler because he has probably the worst ratio in that respect, it was hyperbole.

He actually has very few crap movies, his general range is very good to average. His ratio of good movies compares favorably with the large majority of major Hollywood stars.

The Day of the Jackal (1973)

Watched again last night, I have watched it many time and is still worth watching.
Edward Fox has the Jackal was excellent, his methodical way of planning the assassination was very good and his ability to change his looks to suit his needs was excellent.
Claude Lebel (Michael Lonsdale) was another very good part, very calm and in the end got him man.
Yes it gets a bit boring in places but the rest of the film more than makes up for it.

9/10