Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Posters (2011) - 7/10

Obscure and bizarre Polish/Mexican new-revival. Several posters walk into a movie poster shop and enter into a discussion about movie posters. One of the posters harbours a dark secret.

cinc, do you have any recommendations for movies by Bresson? I've only seen Pickpocket and I wasnt that impressed. Also, Fassbinder, what's his best work? Havent seen any.

cinc, do you have any recommendations for movies by Bresson? I've only seen Pickpocket and I wasnt that impressed. Also, Fassbinder, what's his best work? Havent seen any.

Bresson I'm not a fan of, the only film I liked of his is the one about a village priest. Fassbinder is a much easier question: Berlin Alexanderplatz (a TV series) is a must, while Veronika Voss, and Effie Briest (spelling) are also great.

Session 9

I was not expecting much from this , but I was pleasantly shocked , I thought it was excellent.
the acting was spot on , mind you I was expecting David Caruso to get his sunglasses out in every bit I saw him in.
Story was well written and had some suspense in it.
The ending was a bit predictable but still very good.

Well worth a watch
7.5/10

I am going to steal mehro's idea and plaster my room with movie posters. Might add some retro Football pics as well

I've got another poster that I reckon you might like.

Interested?

Yeah.

I've created a cart in amazon with 3 posters and 6 frames (for 3 star wars ones I need to put up). 100 bucks already.

I didnt choose the Birds one. I picked Amadeus, Apocalypse Now and 81/2. All Polish versions. Gonna put AN in the center and the others on either side. It'll make a nice pattern as AN has a straight face and the others face either way.

I am going to steal mehro's idea and plaster my room with movie posters. Might add some retro Football pics as well

The framing here is really expensive. I currently pick $15 frames from amazon but I dont like them much.

Yeah.

I've created a cart in amazon with 3 posters and 6 frames (for 3 star wars ones I need to put up). 100 bucks already.

I didnt choose the Birds one. I picked Amadeus, Apocalypse Now and 81/2. All Polish versions. Gonna put AN in the center and the others on either side. It'll make a nice pattern as AN has a straight face and the others face either way.

The framing here is really expensive. I currently pick $15 frames from amazon but I dont like them much.

I reckon Birds was the best one, it captured the essense of the film.

Un Chien Andalou Movie Poster - 27 x 40 - Polish Style A 

Old Bunuel movie. But you'll probably find it a bit OTT for a living room.

But go through these, some very good posters:

a Grayspace Poster Gallery

I almost purchased posters from Dawn of The Dead (1978), Enter The Dragon and Get Carter for my garage. I'm always in there a lot doing work and have a bunch of bare wallspace so it would be perfect.

I reckon Birds was the best one, it captured the essense of the film.

Un Chien Andalou Movie Poster - 27 x 40 - Polish Style A*

Old Bunuel movie. But you'll probably find it a bit OTT for a living room.

But go through these, some very good posters:

a Grayspace Poster Gallery

Birds one is great but I'm not sure I want a flying skull in my room.

Some great ones there but I think I'll stop for now. After I order the 3 in my cart I'll have 12 already. And I have 2 non movie ones as well. All in the same room. Besides I'm really broke after a recent trip to Vegas.

I want to do something different in my bedroom.

Yeah.

I am gonna get my cousin to bring over all the posters I order online and then frame it up here dead cheap.

I am gonna get my cousin to bring over all the posters I order online and then frame it up here dead cheap.

YOu can also get great bollywood ones from haus khas village. I got my deewar and zanjeer ones there. Crap, I'd totally forgotten about the zanjeer one. Now i have 13 and need another frame.

Any Breaker Morant fans in here?

I just saw it in my recommended section on Netflix so will probably enjoy a rewatch later this week.

fecking-A. I have a slight obsession with movie posters as well. Have a truck load of old westerns and some vintage stuff back home. I'm really digging the polish art-work though. I have this coffee table book of sci-fi movie posters which has some great art work. Definitely going to get me some of this good stuff once I settle down.

YOu can also get great bollywood ones from haus khas village. I got my deewar and zanjeer ones there. Crap, I'd totally forgotten about the zanjeer one. Now i have 13 and need another frame.
Yeah I know about the shop in Hauz Kauz

Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest Documentary by Michael Rappaport about A Tribe Called Quest. I'd heard good things about it and was not disappointed. If you're a fan of ATCQ, then it's definitely a must see. One thing that stuck out in my mind was how Q-Tip was trying to avoid saying anything that would make him look like an ass and downplaying any rift between him and Phife Dawg, while Phife was much more honest and up front with how he saw everything go down. Overall a doc that's well worth a viewing.

I watched Paranormal Activity 3 last night. I havent seen the prequels but this was an enjoyable romp. Basically, it was a cross between Blair Witch and Poltergeist. Lots of stuff going on off-camera, lots of jumpy moments and an actual ghost with a sheet covering it :lol:

Dont watch it if you hated Blair Witch, though.

Btw, there was a trailer for a film called The Devil Inside, which looks like a good successor to The Exorcist. Keep your eyes peeled for that one. ;)

Btw, there was a trailer for a film called The Devil Inside, which looks like a good successor to The Exorcist. Keep your eyes peeled for that one. ;)

Can't honestly remember the last time I saw a horror film worthy of its' genre. Too many have followed the shock and gore approach which we've become far less sensitised toward.

Cheers for the recommendation though - That looks half decent.

Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest Documentary by Michael Rappaport about A Tribe Called Quest. I'd heard good things about it and was not disappointed. If you're a fan of ATCQ, then it's definitely a must see. One thing that stuck out in my mind was how Q-Tip was trying to avoid saying anything that would make him look like an ass and downplaying any rift between him and Phife Dawg, while Phife was much more honest and up front with how he saw everything go down. Overall a doc that's well worth a viewing.

I think Kamal came out wrong from this movie, exactly because he tried too hard not too. He even complained about the movie at first for playing up the rift between him and Phife.

The only problem I had with the movie is that they left our J Dilla.

Can't honestly remember the last time I saw a horror film worthy of its' genre. Too many have followed the shock and gore approach which we've become far less sensitised toward.

Cheers for the recommendation though - That looks half decent.

Another horror flick based on a gimmick. I cant remember when was the last time one without them. This gimmicks work, but I get tired of them.

I think Kamal came out wrong from this movie, exactly because he tried too hard not too. He even complained about the movie at first for playing up the rift between him and Phife.

The only problem I had with the movie is that they left our J Dilla.
Well he died in 2006 so doing interviews would have been difficult.

Terrence Malick apparently has three upcoming films in the works. It took him almost 40 years to release just 4 films and now he's about to equal it in just a couple of years. I wonder if he's gone mad.