Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I dunno if I’m just desensitised to it all but The Substance was nowhere near as disgusting or shocking as I expected? The final 20 minutes was definitely a bit wild but nothing extraordinary. The film was decent overall, pretty well shot but very in your face, which I guess was the point. I guess I expected more.

Most disgusting part of the film was Dennis Quaid eating shrimp.

Yeah Romulus was good stuff. A little bit too needlessly noddy to the first two as others have said but a solid entry and Alien done proper for the first time in ages. Loved the
zero g acid
scene and Andy was a great character (especially his upgraded version).

I'm not much into horror, but apart from the movies that has been mentioned I would say Martyrs (2008) ticks those, and Triangle does as well. I also really like Talk to Me, which I think is just all around a really good film. As for horrors that really ticks the atmospheric box, I also like The Void and Beyond the Black Rainbow although they do lack in other departments.

Please don't listen to this.
Don't listen to George Owen. He only understands MMA.

The Void is fantastic.

Right you film nerds

Top three films to watch for Halloween?

Taking in to considering all key aspects like jump scares, atmosphere/mood and storytelling.

Watch Host (2020) if you haven't seen it yet. It's on BBC iPlayer I believe.

Favourite 3 recent horrors are probably Hereditary, It Follows and Barbarian.

Right you film nerds

Taking in to considering all key aspects like jump scares, atmosphere/mood and storytelling.

Midsommar: it's brilliant.
House of 1000 Corpses: my favorite horror movie ever.
Ju-On - The Grudge: The original Japanese version from 2002. The most horrifying movie I've seen.

Just watched Civil War on a plane. Thought it was weird and meh. Also tried to watch Hit Man but had to turn it off. Awful.

Right you film nerds

Answering this again. Opting now for some films that are more fun. I hate slasher horror.

Cabin In The Woods
[REC]
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Evil Dead 2
Tremors
Phantasm
The Shining
The Descent
Suspiria
Dog Soldiers
Lifeforce
The Thing
Near Dark
Cronos
An American Werewolf In London
The Fly
28 Days Later
Train To Busan
A Chinese Ghost Story
The Ring
Dawn Of The Dead
ReAnimator
The Innocents
Let the Right One In
The Howling
The Beast Within

Just watched Alien: Romulus

Not sure what all the praise is about.. thought it was pretty weak. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant were far better. Shame we never got the final of that trilogy

Recently watched Luchino Visconti's Ludwig and The Leopard

Utter, utter masterpieces

I dunno if I’m just desensitised to it all but The Substance was nowhere near as disgusting or shocking as I expected? The final 20 minutes was definitely a bit wild but nothing extraordinary. The film was decent overall, pretty well shot but very in your face, which I guess was the point. I guess I expected more.

Most disgusting part of the film was Dennis Quaid eating shrimp.

Most of the film was like nails on a chalkboard, made my skin crawl, but yeah the shrimp eating was the most horrible bit. I guess it was more of a message than a movie too.

A History of Violence (2005)

One of those films I keep wanting to watch but never quite got round to. Can’t believe it’s nearly 20 years old already. It’s a David Cronenburg adaptation of a graphic novel which never really feels like a graphic novel at all. A young (and very handsome) Viggo Mortensen plays an aw shucks family guy who runs a diner in an idyllic American country town. One day some hoods try to rob the diner, shit gets real and it turns out there might be more to him than meets the eye.

In a way it’s all very straightforward but it has some interesting - and quite leftfield - ideas for a film of this genre. From kinky sex in a long term marriage to Cronenburgian body horror, it constantly finds a way to avoid becoming the sort of clichéd paint by numbers thriller it could easily have been. That said , it doesn’t hold back on delivering some straight up action too. The fight scenes are extremely well shot and choreographed. As good as any mainstream action flick, better than most. Although much much nastier.

The cast are all excellent, especially William Hurt in what might be one of his best ever roles. It is kind of clunky in parts, feels more dated than it should be (mainly because of the score) and the final act will probably divide opinions but it’s never not interesting.

I didn’t love it but I would definitely recommend it. Well worth a watch. Solid 7/10.

Last edited:
Answering this again. Opting now for some films that are more fun. I hate slasher horror.

Cabin In The Woods
[REC]
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Evil Dead 2
Tremors
Phantasm
The Shining
The Descent
Suspiria
Dog Soldiers
Lifeforce
The Thing
Near Dark
Cronos
An American Werewolf In London
The Fly
28 Days Later
Train To Busan
A Chinese Ghost Story
The Ring
Dawn Of The Dead
ReAnimator
The Innocents
Let the Right One In
The Howling
The Beast Within
FFS, caught part of this film when I was about 8 or 9 around 2 in the morning. Still scarred to this day, freaked me out.

Not sure what all the praise is about.. thought it was pretty weak. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant were far better. Shame we never got the final of that trilogy
It's the cinematic equivalent of an Oasis reunion. You want to believe. You want to recapture one shining moment of a simpler time when everything was less fraught than it is now. Youth! Vitality! A madeline for your eyeballs.

Romulus exists only to remind us - even if only in a scene or two - how genius the original Alien (and its universe) were.

The video game Alien: Isolation is the only post-Alien work that really does it justice. (Aliens/Alien 2 was great but does not fit in with the rest of the entire corpus).

I hope it is better than those 2 films. Wouldn't be hard.

I'm watching it tonight. My son watched it and thought that it was the best one since Aliens, but still nowhere as good as the first 2. Too many nods to previous films he thought.

Last edited:
Watched The Remarkable Life of Ibelin on Netflix. Incredible documentary, don't think I've cried like that in a decade.

Someone on here mentioned Threads was back on BBC. Feck me that film, I'm sure I'd seen bits before and knew it was grim but never the whole thing. It's like a brutal assault on you.

Was better than covenant but not as good as Prometheus, for me. Had some good tension at times.

Alien Romulus Best since Aliens but that is a fairly low bar. Fun but inconsequential and in the end you think that you have seen it all before. 7/10