Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

:(

Who is the go to Netflix purveyor in here?

Does it need to be new? Event Horizon just came back on it if you like horror.
The Witch, Hereditary and Midsommer are all there and great. Midsommar is the easiest to get into and enjoy. Others can be hard work and not great if your a bit tired.
High Plains Drifter is a good western with Clint Eastwood. Seems to be a few of his movies up there. Might be worth a search.
Awakenings with Robin Williams and De Niro was quite good, kind of heavy drama.
Zero Dark Thirty is a political drama about the operation that killed Osama Bin Laden i think. Haven't seen it but it got great reviews.

Heat, Revenant, Saving Private Ryan, Inglorius Basterds, Last of the Mohicans.

(replied to wrong post)

Last edited:
seen a couple of movies lately

gave up on Everything Everywhere All At Once about 45 minutes in because it's just convoluted tripe

but really enjoyed NOPE, was dragging a bit to begin with but loved the last 40 minutes or so

the back-story with the chimp was fecking terrifying, and loved how he tied it all back to the main story in the end.. but overall just really liked the western derived tropes and feel

The great wall
Felt like watching a mindless action movie. My God this movie is generic. I have no idea what the point of the monsters was. Something to do with greed. There's a very pretty Chinese lady and also Willem Dafoe skulking about.

generic/10

The great wall
Felt like watching a mindless action movie. My God this movie is generic. I have no idea what the point of the monsters was. Something to do with greed. There's a very pretty Chinese lady and also Willem Dafoe skulking about.

generic/10
Is that the one with Matt Damon fighting on the Chinese Wall against random monsters?

We were looking for something to watch last night and came across The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime. Never heard of it, but just a quick look online shows you that it has wildly ranging polarising views. It's 'critically acclaimed' according to its wiki, but it's IMDB is around the 6.something mark. Seemed interesting enough in its premise, so gave it a watch. Firstly, if you're looking for a film that has tons of plot, breakneck action, and Marvel-style CGI set pieces, this ain't it. To start with, the plot centres around two core characters and there's a lot of talking. It's set in 1950s America, with one of the characters being a switchboard operator and the other being a radio presenter, so radio plays a large role in the film.

I really liked it. Thought the dialogue was clever, authentic for the time period, and the overall premise and the atmosphere of the film was pretty great. It's got a satisfying conclusion, but also leaves enough to have you talking about and feeling intrigued afterwards. It's different to a lot of films out there right now, so I like that. There's also some very interesting cinematography, with one particularly amazing tracking shot standing out. It's not going to be a film for everyone, because it's one of those films where 'not a lot happens', which might not be interesting enough for some. But, if you're interested in those old-school sci-fi short stories, you might enjoy this.

seen a couple of movies lately

gave up on Everything Everywhere All At Once about 45 minutes in because it's just convoluted tripe

but really enjoyed NOPE, was dragging a bit to begin with but loved the last 40 minutes or so

the back-story with the chimp was fecking terrifying, and loved how he tied it all back to the main story in the end.. but overall just really liked the western derived tropes and feel
I thought EEAAO was ok but overhyped. But I also thought that NOPE was absolute trash. Ughh that film makes me so angry.
We were looking for something to watch last night and came across The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime. Never heard of it, but just a quick look online shows you that it has wildly ranging polarising views. It's 'critically acclaimed' according to its wiki, but it's IMDB is around the 6.something mark. Seemed interesting enough in its premise, so gave it a watch. Firstly, if you're looking for a film that has tons of plot, breakneck action, and Marvel-style CGI set pieces, this ain't it. To start with, the plot centres around two core characters and there's a lot of talking. It's set in 1950s America, with one of the characters being a switchboard operator and the other being a radio presenter, so radio plays a large role in the film.

I really liked it. Thought the dialogue was clever, authentic for the time period, and the overall premise and the atmosphere of the film was pretty great. It's got a satisfying conclusion, but also leaves enough to have you talking about and feeling intrigued afterwards. It's different to a lot of films out there right now, so I like that. There's also some very interesting cinematography, with one particularly amazing tracking shot standing out. It's not going to be a film for everyone, because it's one of those films where 'not a lot happens', which might not be interesting enough for some. But, if you're interested in those old-school sci-fi short stories, you might enjoy this.
This is a fantastic little film that more people need to see. I loved how creatively they used their limited budget to create something that never feels cheap.

This is a fantastic little film that more people need to see. I loved how creatively they used their limited budget to create something that never feels cheap.

I'm a sucker for this sort of film. Under the radar, a bit lowkey, but achieves what it sets out to do. It's got a great style to it too in many ways, visually being one of them.

Another film that's different in subject matter but interesting in the same sort of way is Coherence, which again we found on Amazon Prime a little while ago. Absolutely adore that film.

I'm a sucker for this sort of film. Under the radar, a bit lowkey, but achieves what it sets out to do. It's got a great style to it too in many ways, visually being one of them.

Another film that's different in subject matter but interesting in the same sort of way is Coherence, which again we found on Amazon Prime a little while ago. Absolutely adore that film.
Oh yeah I love Coherence it's great!

Loved this, so atmospheric. Especially the bit when the old soldier tells his story over a black screen.

Loved this, so atmospheric. Especially the bit when the old soldier tells his story over a black screen.

That bit was excellent. I was hooked and on the edge of my seat. I just imagine that if it was a novel instead of a film, I'd be frantically reading and turning the pages to find out what happened next. :drool:

It's the director's first film, too. What an effort.

That bit was excellent. I was hooked and on the edge of my seat. I just imagine that if it was a novel instead of a film, I'd be frantically reading and turning the pages to find out what happened next. :drool:

It's the director's first film, too. What an effort.
Why does it say (uncredited) on IMDb?

Samaritan

Might need to talk with them after watching this. Depressing to imagine a future for film which is just Netflix, Amazon, Disney et al churning out paint by numbers, cookie cutter nonsense like this.

I'm also confused how the guy playing the main villain is not Michael Shannon.

Watched Calibre on the advice of @Dirty Schwein and have to say really enjoyed it!

The pacing was good, solid acting and interesting twists and turns. Even when you kind of knew what was going to happen you still had that anxiety of wanting it not to.

Only real criticism was character development as I found myself not growing particularly attached to anyone which then had the impact of lessening my feelings on what happened to them.

I definite 7/10 though and well worth a watch on Netflix in the UK

Prey
Felt like I was watching a Disney Princess live action movie... But yeah definitely a right step in the franchise but feck me I wish the predators didn't send the idiot of the pack, he was useless! Looking forward to if they can build on this 6/10

Nope. Yep. I'm with @oneniltothearsenal and @Superunknown on this one: loved it! Not the action spectacle trailer and some of the review suggested; really more of a slow burn in a very limited setting (in terms of characters and geography; even the geography itself is pretty empty!). Nothing much horror about it either, just a few jumpy moments. But those are strong positives to me. :D

Apart from that, it looked amazing with great camera work, and I loved the premise and how the story played out. I couldn't follow all of the dialogue in my cinema so I missed some of the motivation, but it all made a lot of sense to me. I probably missed a lot of references as well (given how many there are supposed to be), but I didn't need all of that to enjoy what I was watching. I actually liked the ending too, which apparently is supposed to be the weaker bit.

I have to admit I was a little lost with the chimpanzee bit as well, but interpretations I read online afterwards made sense to me. They also added some other things I hadn't noticed myself. I actually wanted to see it again when I was going home already, and even more so after reading that stuff.

Yep, excellent. 4/5

Feck you, I thought I liked you and there you go and quote an Arsenal fan of all people over me.
Ah, bugger, missed your comments! I had was looking up who had reviewed the film before posting, but didn't find your posts as you don't actually use the movie title (as I see now). And you had a post in that separate thread (as I also see now).

Anyway, I think I agree with everything you said about it - including that the film lacks a final 'something' to make it really awesome. I mean, I loved it for a number of reasons, but still wouldn't say it's a 5/5 film. Although that might also be because a lot is left unsaid/implicit, and the overall tone is rather understated.

There. Better?

Stephen Yeun was great and so was his character (and that sequence and flashback), that's about the best thing I can say about it.
While on the subject, I was wondering what you liked so much about this particular bit (the flashback sequence of the tv show).

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting the impression that a lot of the criticism comes down to this not being a horror film, or an action spectacle, or a 'cool' film (like, Tarantino style dialogue and violence) - or really a summer blockbuster in any sort of way. Its scale/grandiosity is on a 70s level (say, Jaws or Close Encounters), not at all like what you would call a blockbuster these days. But the film was advertized as such, and Peele of course got his reputation from his previous films. (Which I didn't see cause I hate horror. Maybe I should reconsider and make an exception.)

So I'm thinking a lot of people were disappointed with what they got in Nope compared to what they expected - which to me is where your comment here fits in. Cause this one scene is a bit Tarantino-esque, and in a way not much like anything else in the movie.

(I'll also add that I read that the title is actually partly playing with the viewer, who might be saying 'Nope' to this film a lot. Was that horror? Nope. Was it sci-fi? Nope. Was it etc. Nope.)

Ah, bugger, missed your comments! I had was looking up who had reviewed the film before posting, but didn't find your posts as you don't actually use the movie title (as I see now). And you had a post in that separate thread (as I also see now).

Anyway, I think I agree with everything you said about it - including that the film lacks a final 'something' to make it really awesome. I mean, I loved it for a number of reasons, but still wouldn't say it's a 5/5 film. Although that might also be because a lot is left unsaid/implicit, and the overall tone is rather understated.

There. Better?
It's ok, we can be friends again. Forum friends.

Also agree with your comparison to 70s films, I got that vibe too. And you should definitely watch Get Out. I really like Us as well, but it's more divisive.

It's ok, we can be friends again. Forum friends.

Also agree with your comparison to 70s films, I got that vibe too. And you should definitely watch Get Out. I really like Us as well, but it's more divisive.
So how horror is it really? I'm not a fan of the jump-scare moments, and I really can do without gore in my life. If it scores high on both or either, I'd still rather give it a miss I'm afraid...

I thought EEAAO was ok but overhyped. But I also thought that NOPE was absolute trash. Ughh that film makes me so angry.

Surprised you thought it was trash, I thought it was pretty epic the more I think about it. I loved the tone of the film, it was original and a fun watch too.

Whatever you think of it though it's evidently a well crafted movie though, right? How can you label it as trash?

Surprised you thought it was trash, I thought it was pretty epic the more I think about it. I loved the tone of the film, it was original and a fun watch too.

Whatever you think of it though it's evidently a well crafted movie though, right? How can you label it as trash?
I totally get the trash comments. Its not a crowd pleaser, which sounds like a shallow criticism but I don't know how better to phrase it.
It doesn't bring the audience along for the ride, its got a 'you must be this tall to enter' sign out front. Its well crafted to the point of being a bit self indulgent.
The characters aren't that easy to root for - theres an element of them bumbling along a bit aimlessly so its hard to know what a win would be for them. What does getting footage achieve in the end? It feels like theres a bunch of references to hollywood papparazi and the human gaze and being in the entertainment industry that completely went over my head for probably obvious reasons. Its a bit of a cinephiles movie where its improved by having watched jaws or the dozen other films it references.
I liked it though.

I thought the movie was boring and the base narrative was just... Meh. It needs you to dive into the underpinnings to truly enjoy it and for me that stuff should enhance the movie, not be the thing that makes it good. And even then, the layers underneath were not exactly mind blowing.

On top of that, the characters were flat, the locations were yawn, the acting wasn't even all that and I love Daniel Kaaluya.

I don't think I liked anything about this film apart from it technically looking and sounding excellent but that's what you expect from a big studio release.

The tone was fine and it was semi-original but those two things don't make me think it's a good movie. I need an excellent story, well thought out themes and characters I can root for. This has none of that.

Thor: Love & Thunder
First NOPE and now this... Maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old man :lol: I thought this was god-awful (no pun intended). Every line was a punch line... Sorry Taika, you ain't Bill Hicks. It was not funny, shit narrative and it looked cheap. Bale was wasted and the soundtrack so predictable. Only liked the black and white fight sequence towards the end. Everything else was brain numbingly stupid. I loved Thor Ragnarok, one of my favourites... This on the other hand is one of the worst for me 2/10

So how horror is it really? I'm not a fan of the jump-scare moments, and I really can do without gore in my life. If it scores high on both or either, I'd still rather give it a miss I'm afraid...
I'm the same and I thought it was an excellent movie. A few jump scares but they're not scares really, more a character-noticing-character-doing-something-strange moments.

The central conceit is the point of the story so the rest is more for effect really. it's no more a horror than say, Batman.

@Vidyoyo I watched the Ryusuke Hamaguchi stuff on Mubi.

Wheel of Fortune was excellent with its endearingly inept social interactions.

Asako was somewhat predictable and long winded but the characters are quite charming even as they become less believable. I liked the bittersweet ending.

Drive my Car was pretty much brilliant; well worth its lengthy running time. His films work an area of social negotiation in a similar way to Rubin Ostlund, though more optimistically.

@Vidyoyo I watched the Ryusuke Hamaguchi stuff on Mubi.

Wheel of Fortune was excellent with its endearingly inept social interactions.

Asako was somewhat predictable and long winded but the characters are quite charming even as they become less believable. I liked the bittersweet ending.

Drive my Car was pretty much brilliant; well worth its lengthy running time. His films work an area of social negotiation in a similar way to Rubin Ostlund, though more optimistically.

Good stuff Dumbo and agree with most of that.

Wheel of Fortune didn't work for me but I saw it very shortly after Drive my Car and don't think I went in with the right mindset - it's a very different kind of film.

Asako isn't masterful but the themes really resonated with me. That sense of indecision and yearning for nostalgia that screws up the life of Ryohei while Asako decides what's right for her.. she feels more like a cipher than a fleshed out character but the idea felt so relatable. I felt very similar watching it to how I felt watching Burning, though that's an undoubtedly better film.

Drive my Car... masterpiece. It uses many of the same themes as Asako but it's much more impactful and simply incredible from start to end.

Will take your tip to watch more Ostlund films. I've only seen Force Majeure.

Godard has died, one of the most important and influential filmmakers in history.

Godard has died, one of the most important and influential filmmakers in history.

Oh no way, I'm gutted :(

An incredible talent, one of the most important figures in cinema history, and the man who single-handedly made me love movies. RIP

Last edited:
I'm the same and I thought it was an excellent movie. A few jump scares but they're not scares really, more a character-noticing-character-doing-something-strange moments.

The central conceit is the point of the story so the rest is more for effect really. it's no more a horror than say, Batman.
Oh okay. Back on my watchlist it goes, then! :)

Woah, thought he must have died ages ago

Assisted suicide apparently.

Oh no way, I'm gutted :(

An incredible talent, one of the most important figures in cinema history, and the man who single-handedly made me love movies. RIP

Watching Breathless for the first time was an unforgettable experience, his 60s films changed cinema forever.

Nope

I enjoyed the movie, but I need to watch the movie again, because after reading interpretations on internet I think I missed alot of details and symbolism.

After 'Get Out' and 'Us' I expected another horror movie. The opening chimp scene threw me off a bit believing it was going to be a conventional horror movie.
However, after 30 minutes I realised this movie wasn't going to be one of those movies and that is perfectly fine. It's such a "smart" movie. The ending was a bit weak compared to the first and middle parts and I expected a twist, but oh well.

8 out of 10