Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

When I played Bloodborne I hated a clue what the plot was of it. Someone sent me a video about the plot and lore after, turns out it’s a really good story! feck knows how people bother to figure it out playing the game, though.

Playing through Uncharted 3 and I don't love it, easily the worst of the series so far. It's pretty frustrating to play against hordes of enemies that just spawn near you and throw 600 grenades at you constantly. Hopefully the 4th game is better.

Playing through Uncharted 3 and I don't love it, easily the worst of the series so far. It's pretty frustrating to play against hordes of enemies that just spawn near you and throw 600 grenades at you constantly. Hopefully the 4th game is better.

4 is better. Uncharted 3 is comfortably the worst of the four mainline titles imo

Yup, it's a pretty terrible game in my opinion. Its story is garbage as well. Best to ignore it exists. Uncharted 4 has its own issues but is a vastly superior game at every level.

4 is better. Uncharted 3 is comfortably the worst of the four mainline titles imo
Yup, it's a pretty terrible game in my opinion. Its story is garbage as well. Best to ignore it exists. Uncharted 4 has its own issues but is a vastly superior game at every level.
Alright that's reassuring, I'll just try and power through the 3rd. I did love the first two games.

Having finally taught myself how to properly play and enjoy it after 7 previous Yakuza games, I've basically spent my entire weekend playing Mahjong in Judgement. This is terrible, how am I ever going to make progress in my backlog like this?

Having finally taught myself how to properly play and enjoy it after 7 previous Yakuza games, I've basically spent my entire weekend playing Mahjong in Judgement. This is terrible, how am I ever going to make progress in my backlog like this?

This weekend I've started BG3, restarted Starfield, restarted Cyberpunk and also loaded up Armored Core. All whilst grinding some Dark and Darker.

What the feck is wrong with us? :lol:

This weekend I've started BG3, restarted Starfield, restarted Cyberpunk and also loaded up Armored Core. All whilst grinding some Dark and Darker.

What the feck is wrong with us? :lol:
You've just reminded me of a bunch of games that are still on my wishlist or in my backlog. Seriously, all of those. :lol: Well except Dark and Darker.

I love playing multiple games (usually 4) at any given time. But I do try to ensure that they’re pretty varied to keep things fun. At one point I did somehow find myself playing 3 melee / sword fighting games at the same time which made no sense whatsoever.

I love playing multiple games (usually 4) at any given time. But I do try to ensure that they’re pretty varied to keep things fun. At one point I did somehow find myself playing 3 melee / sword fighting games at the same time which made no sense whatsoever.

I normally have loads, the missus is always on my case about it! (I've still not even opened the Logitech wheel she got me for xmas, endless nagging about that one! :( )

But yeah, I've picked a right bunch there! How my brain manages to remember all the different systems I'll never know, probably why I'm such a forgetful dumbarse in real life :lol:

What I enjoy about the lore and world building in those games, is that many locations and encounters feel significant, even if I haven't got a clue what is actually going on. There's a sense of a deep, rich and often tragic history that permeates their worlds, and often you get to fight some legendary figure who played a big part in that history, like when you encounter Artorias in the Dark Souls DLC.

I'm definitely not one of those who enjoys piecing it all together though. I just don't have the patience or eye for detail for that sort of thing.

As for NG+, I have to roll my eyes at those who say that Dark Souls only starts or NG+7 or whatever. A single run is usually enough to get everything I need from those games. If I really loved my time with it and don't want it to end, I'll go for an NG+ run, like I did with Bloodborne, so it's great that it's there. But it's not essential to me or anything.
I don’t mind piecing it together ala Outer Wilds as long as it comes together as something worth doing that for but I’m not really sure how? Item descriptions?

I agree with NG plus although I wonder if I’m missing something. I guess it’s just for the difficulty spike which some people love. For me one time of that unique experience is great but enough.

You've just reminded me of a bunch of games that are still on my wishlist or in my backlog. Seriously, all of those. :lol: Well except Dark and Darker.

DnD is great mate. It's a proper addictive loot fear game, so simple yet so deep at the same time.

And aggravating when you play with a certain cafite who shall not be named!

I, rather shockingly, just play fortnite at the moment. Started so I could play with my kid but because in battle royale I can finish in the top 10 nearly every time (rather than die way earlier in COD for example), I enjoy playing it. Probably killing 11 year olds non stop but..

Ive also got a racing rig and wheel so I still play through F1and GT7 a fair bit when I know I have a whole evening to set it all up.

I, rather shockingly, just play fortnite at the moment. Started so I could play with my kid but because in battle royale I can finish in the top 10 nearly every time (rather than die way earlier in COD for example), I enjoy playing it. Probably killing 11 year olds non stop but..

Ive also got a racing rig and wheel so I still play through F1and GT7 a fair bit when I know I have a whole evening to set it all up.

FN has had a resurgence with the no build and when they stopped catering to the terrible pro/streamer scene so much. Nothing wrong with playing it, at it's heart it's a great game. It would still be much better without the turbo build and editing bullshite stuff though in build mode. I used to love having to place things properly and the skill ceiling that brought in, much more to think about than COD and all that, it was great at the time.

Same with Sea of Thieves for me, though I'm not playing it at the minute, there's something just so wonderful about how it can appeal to anyone and can both be deep and simplistic at the same time.

FN has had a resurgence with the no build and when they stopped catering to the terrible pro/streamer scene so much. Nothing wrong with playing it, at it's heart it's a great game. It would still be much better without the turbo build and editing bullshite stuff though in build mode. I used to love having to place things properly and the skill ceiling that brought in, much more to think about than COD and all that, it was great at the time.

Same with Sea of Thieves for me, though I'm not playing it at the minute, there's something just so wonderful about how it can appeal to anyone and can both be deep and simplistic at the same time.

Oh yeah, totally agree. I mean I do play almost exclusively no build. Although build is often easier as it has so many people playing it who are crap at the actual combat side. But when me and my 9 year old duo's we have a great time normally.

I picked up Hell Pie for a palette cleanser between BG3 sessions.

I'm loving it, a proper throwback to the N64 3D platformers.

My golden rule is three games, it feels like a good balance between having sufficient variety while still having enough time to make regular progress in all of them. Usually one big game, one smaller indie (of which I'll complete several for the one big game) and then probably another not too time intensive game.

Currently that's Judgement, Catmaze and then Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition on the pc (second attempt since I dropped that game a couple of years ago for some reason).

My golden rule is three games, it feels like a good balance between having sufficient variety while still having enough time to make regular progress in all of them. Usually one big game, one smaller indie (of which I'll complete several for the one big game) and then probably another not too time intensive game.

Currently that's Judgement, Catmaze and then Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition on the pc (second attempt since I dropped that game a couple of years ago for some reason).
With time I’ve realised that I like gaming in spurts. I rarely play a single for more than 2 hours in a go. If I do that means I’m absolutely hooked. Currently I’m playing Spider Man Remastered, The Ascent, Sackboy and Sniper Elite 5.

Ghost of Tushima - Directors Cut : Brilliant, just brilliant. I really liked it first time around on the PS4 but on my second go at it with the expansion, this feels like a game that was made for next gen hardware - in particular with 1) 60fs and 2) the Dualsense. I genuinely believe that this is one of the best melee combat mechanics that I’ve ever experienced in game - it’s between this and Sekiro anyway, both fantastic in their own unique ways and suited to the specific type of games that they are. The 60fps allows the combat system to truly shine in the manner in which it didn’t at 30fps and honestly I could have played the game a third time and I wouldn’t tire of its. And then the haptic feedback allows for the open world immersion to work in small but meaningful ways as you ride across the gorgeous landscape.

Of course where the game isn’t stellar is it’s writing and that’s the only thing holding it back from being an all time great. But I do like the actual stories and characters - I just don’t feel invested in the moment to moment dialogue as it’s merely serviceable.

9.2/10

The Medium : I had a good enough time with this. It’s not exceptional at anything and it’s lack of gameplay / player agency is going to not be a lot of people’s cup of tea. But for me it got a few things right which worked for me - the visual design especially of the environments which I think are it’s main selling point and it’s audio which I think is quite good. 8/10

The Quarry:
I remember liking Until Dawn a few years back so I was keen on this. And I think The Quarry while not evolving the formula into anything new per say, does refine and nail it even more. I thought the visual fidelity and character animation tech was just off the roof - which elevates this sort of experience to a whole new level. The characters who were all one cliche after the other did show more depth as the story went on. And for me the narrative kept up the intrigue and managed to tie it altogether in a genre where everything falling apart towards the end is usually the norm.

Where Supermassive games could improve is when it comes to gameplay elements - something a little skill based would be good and add to the immersion. But that’s an artistic choice. For everything else The Quarry is a leap forwards.

8.7/10

Also what I did NOT like - Assassins Creed Origins. I’ve really tried with this franchise. I gave Odissey 25 good hours before I found every character, location and mission bleeding into the other. I put 30 plus hours into Valhalla because I’d just got a PS5 and it looked stunning but each invasion wore me down more than the other till I was fed up with its repetitive loop.

And now, after having read that Origins was apparently the best of these modern AC games, I tried it out. But I’ve realised that these games just aren’t for me. The problem is that aside from strong visual design and fidelity due to their large budget, they fail on having any one of the two general hooks that a good video game tends to have - gameplay and writing. It’s gameplay / combat is so hopelessly bad when compared to something like Ghosts of Tsushima it’s actually pretty shocking to see. Honestly AC games combat is what you expect from one of those small studios trying to do their best Souls take (or in this case a Souls and Witcher take). And on the writing front, it’s not terrible - it’s just not good. And writing in games has come a long way and just not being terrible could be fine for a 10-15 hour game but is definitely not for a 30-80 hour expeience. So that’s a lesson for me not to bother with this franchise unless it transforms significantly.

Also what I did NOT like - Assassins Creed Origins. I’ve really tried with this franchise. I gave Odissey 25 good hours before I found every character, location and mission bleeding into the other. I put 30 plus hours into Valhalla because I’d just got a PS5 and it looked stunning but each invasion wore me down more than the other till I was fed up with its repetitive loop.

And now, after having read that Origins was apparently the best of these modern AC games, I tried it out. But I’ve realised that these games just aren’t for me. The problem is that aside from strong visual design and fidelity due to their large budget, they fail on having any one of the two general hooks that a good video game tends to have - gameplay and writing. It’s gameplay / combat is so hopelessly bad when compared to something like Ghosts of Tsushima it’s actually pretty shocking to see. Honestly AC games combat is what you expect from one of those small studios trying to do their best Souls take (or in this case a Souls and Witcher take). And on the writing front, it’s not terrible - it’s just not good. And writing in games has come a long way and just not being terrible could be fine for a 10-15 hour game but is definitely not for a 30-80 hour expeience. So that’s a lesson for me not to bother with this franchise unless it transforms significantly.

Weird, you've picked basically the same AC game as the other 2 you disliked, just as the new cut back old school type AC game came out :lol:

That's not amazing either though, writing is still horrible, combat is horrid unless you're assassinating someone. Looks pretty though.

Weird, you've picked basically the same AC game as the other 2 you disliked, just as the new cut back old school type AC game came out :lol:

That's not amazing either though, writing is still horrible, combat is horrid unless you're assassinating someone. Looks pretty though.
To be honest I’ve never really loved the AC series even in it’s supposed heyday. It was good at times but never a series that ever blew me away - at least beyond the whole social sneaking stuff and parkour which was admitted very cool for the time.

The reason I gave Origins a go is because I heard that it was less bloated than the other two and the narrative and main character were also superior. But the combat as a I realised is simply unbearable. Oh well.

To be honest I’ve never really loved the AC series even in it’s supposed heyday. It was good at times but never a series that ever blew me away - at least beyond the whole social sneaking stuff and parkour which was admitted very cool for the time.

The reason I gave Origins a go is because I heard that it was less bloated than the other two and the narrative and main character were also superior. But the combat as a I realised is simply unbearable. Oh well.

GoT is basically just Assassins Creed Japan

Just finished Judgement, that was easily my favourite RGG game so far, well ahead of Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2. Wasn't perfect, there were a couple of annoying mechanics (looking at you, fecking Keihin gang), they definitely needed to tone down the tailing missions and the pacing was pretty slow at times, but it just did so much right, especially the writing. Yakuza just got too silly in terms of main plot, I love the more grounded story being told here. Looking forward to trying out Lost Judgement at some point.

Keep in mind that most people calling Origins the best of the modern style games played that one when it first came out. It was a much needed overhaul of the series at that point, it still felt fresh. Going into it after Odyssey and Valhalla is obviously not going to be the same.

Exactly. Glad we are on the same page.
Yup. Night and day between them. GoT is basically what ‘modern’ AC dreams of being. Actually it dreams of being Witcher 3 as it’s been trying to mimic it for ages but that’s obviously an unrealistic standard.

Just finished Judgement, that was easily my favourite RGG game so far, well ahead of Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2. Wasn't perfect, there were a couple of annoying mechanics (looking at you, fecking Keihin gang), they definitely needed to tone down the tailing missions and the pacing was pretty slow at times, but it just did so much right, especially the writing. Yakuza just got too silly in terms of main plot, I love the more grounded story being told here. Looking forward to trying out Lost Judgement at some point.

Keep in mind that most people calling Origins the best of the modern style games played that one when it first came out. It was a much needed overhaul of the series at that point, it still felt fresh. Going into it after Odyssey and Valhalla is obviously not going to be the same.
Judgment is great as is the sequel which I played first. As a singular experience Yakuza 0 for me is the best of the lot but in general I do like the Judgement games more. Their tone, detective / legal background etc just fit RGGs studios story telling perfectly. It’s a shame that these games didn’t get the credit they deserved and with the issues with the actor, the series is probably dead.

Yup. Night and day between them. GoT is basically what ‘modern’ AC dreams of being. Actually it dreams of being Witcher 3 as it’s been trying to mimic it for ages but that’s obviously an unrealistic standard.

Judgment is great as is the sequel which I played first. As a singular experience Yakuza 0 for me is the best of the lot but in general I do like the Judgement games more. Their tone, detective / legal background etc just fit RGGs studios story telling perfectly. It’s a shame that these games didn’t get the credit they deserved and with the issues with the actor, the series is probably dead.
Didn't know anything about this so I looked it up. Carefully, to avoid spoilers of the second game of course. :lol:

Seems that was about the actor's image rights holder who didn't want him on PC, right? But both games got released on PC over a year ago, so it looks like those issues were resolved. Maybe that clears the path for future versions.

Just read that the Metal Gear Collection allegedly has haptic feedback on PS5 controllers; will be cool to experience if true :drool: . Going to get it on the day of release but I just hope they don't mess it up somehow (this is Konami after all)

Games which take 3 minutes to load up just so they can show studio names, title names and all that other bollocks can feck off.

Remember Rayman? The limbless inoffensive cutesy platformer. He's in a Netflix show doing cocaine and eating sushi off a naked furry cow.

0dd.jpg

What a fall from grace.

So I’ve got a PS Store voucher for my birthday and while I typically am about 2-3 years behind in the game cycle which allows me to game on a budget, for once I’ll be making a fairly big gaming purchase.

I’m torn between God of War Ragnarok and Spider Man 2. I know God of War will be better as the first one was one of the games of the last generation and a cut above Spider Man 1 (which was also great). But I do find GoWs price to be absurd on the PS store as it’s a year old and still available only at the launch price which makes no sense as on Amazon etc it’s dropped by a third. Feels like a rip off to buy it at this price point. On the other hand, with physical versions I can sell them off once I’m done which is not possible with the online ones - and GoW would have more replay ability for me.

Choices.

Alan Wake 2 reviews are out, seems like another fantastic release. This year has had some bangers. Not sure when I'll find the time to play them all, though.

Alan Wake 2 reviews are out, seems like another fantastic release. This year has had some bangers. Not sure when I'll find the time to play them all, though.
i was going to buy it, based on reviews. Bht its digital only, no physical copies. So screw that. It can wait for a long while now until the price drops. I hate digital only releases, only because of the outrageous pricing of games as digital. But understand why game companies want to go digital only.

Yep, been a great year for gaming. Going to be tough to call who the top six nominees for TGA GOTY are.

Not surprised at all. Every reviewer who played it early said it was brilliant.

They finally announced 8th November for the console release of the risk of rain 2 dlc.

They also rebuilt the base game from the ground up to get rid of all the crazy bugs that were in the console version.

One of my favourite rogue lites of all time