The Overlap - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

This thread is a good lesson in psychology. People will change the past in their heads to protect people they like and push blame on others. The mental gymnastics people are doing is crazy. Make sure to stretch first.

All of a sudden the things people complained about are acceptable and all accountability is gone. It’s why people aim to be liked over being a honourable person, it gets you out of a lot of holes you dig for yourself.

Apparently fans want a manager back who brought a trophy drought and stopped is from being competitive at the highest level.

This why we were nicknamed vibes FC. People just want the image of something good rather than the real good.
Please don’t reply to this reply

This thread is a good lesson in psychology. People will change the past in their heads to protect people they like and push blame on others. The mental gymnastics people are doing is crazy. Make sure to stretch first.

All of a sudden the things people complained about are acceptable and all accountability is gone. It’s why people aim to be liked over being a honourable person, it gets you out of a lot of holes you dig for yourself.

Apparently fans want a manager back who brought a trophy drought and stopped is from being competitive at the highest level.

This why we were nicknamed vibes FC. People just want the image of something good rather than the real good.

I think Ole benefitted a lot from covid football. We have been cursed with bottleless players for the past decade and I think they thrived playing in empty stadiums with no pressure on them. Remember that crazy unbeaten run they had away from home? Went to pot as soon as the fans came back.

Bring back empty stadiums I say.

I think Ole benefitted a lot from covid football. We have been cursed with bottleless players for the past decade and I think they thrived playing in empty stadiums with no pressure on them. Remember that crazy unbeaten run they had away from home? Went to pot as soon as the fans came back.

Pretty sure the vast majority or all of the unbeaten away run took place in front of fans.

Pretty sure the vast majority or all of the unbeaten away run took place in front of fans.

I went and checked, it started just before Covid and ended within a couple of games of the fans coming back

Still it was a much longer run than I remembered. 29 games! Probably not strung together more than 2 or 3 since.

I will say it feels like such a bizarre and fun period when you just see the highlights of Ole’s time here. It did have a proper feel good factor when things were going well, but that’s to be expected I suppose.

I can’t say I go back to the Jose and LVG eras and feel much positive nostalgia.

Well, he's by far the best manager we had post-Ferguson, and he was fecked over in back-to-back transfer windows: 2020 and 2021. He wasn't perfect, but under a worthy football structure Ole could've achieved much more than he did. And I have no doubt 85+ pts finishes would've been possible under him if he was backed properly, especially on the transfer market.
It was very bad and no structure could have helped him. You seem to have short memory

Edit: I said don’t reply and people keep replying. They’re as good at reading as ole is at management.
Do you know how a forum works? You can't post what you just posted and expect people to let it go, it was a ludicrous post.

I will say it feels like such a bizarre and fun period when you just see the highlights of Ole’s time here. It did have a proper feel good factor when things were going well, but that’s to be expected I suppose.

I can’t say I go back to the Jose and LVG eras and feel much positive nostalgia.
The only positives about Jose and LVG were the trophy wins. Big I know. But the inbetween was meh. Whereas the positives on Ole were the inbetween and the lows were the losses in final/semis.

He doesn’t have any understanding of management and played counter attacking football as it’s the safest thing to do.
Most people here wished that the team controlled the game more and that there was a better balance between counterattacking and positional play. Having said that, we played world-class counterattacking football under Ole.

Compared to the last league match (against Liverpool) where I experienced the worst performance ever «playing out from back», I have to say that I prefer world-class counter-attacking football - although it is safe.

Our play under LVG and Jose was hard to watch, at times cringeworthy. We can never go back to that kind of football.

The move from Ole to Ten Hag is a lesson in 'the grass isn't always greener'.

I think what you are saying is fair. He shouldn't have co-signed a few signings as they were clearly not going to work out, although I'm not sure he could've successfully stopped the Ronaldo deal, which is farcical IMO, but I'd also like to mention Telles and van de Beek, two players that weren't good enough and weren't needed either in VdB's case, and Ole still okayed their arrivals.
I'm not convinced he OK'd DvB arrival that much, he barely played him, even before we found out how crap he was, it looked pretty obvious to me that he didn't really rate him

The longer ETH stays, the higher Ole will get elevated.

Which is natural tbh since it adds a great deal of context to his time here.

I defended him for a long time, but i still think he getting sacked was the right call because he had proved during his time here he was not an elite manager. ETH beign worse does not make Ole a top class manager, but at the same time he was not as bad as some made him out to be

I defended him for a long time, but i still think he getting sacked was the right call because he had proved during his time here he was not an elite manager. ETH beign worse does not make Ole a top class manager, but at the same time he was not as bad as some made him out to be

Saying ETH has been worse despite having won 2 cups, reached 3 finals and finished 3rd is certainly personal preference.

He wasn't as bad as some made out, sure. But on the flipside, he's nowhere near as good as some made/make out either. The truth as always, is somewhere in the middle.

Some of the revisionism on here lately has been crazy. I get it though, it's easy to reminess when things are currently a wee bit shite. The thing is, some of the posts recently seem to indicate that most of his tenure was filled with fantastic attacking football and it was all rosy. However, the massive divide on here about him in real-time as manager, tells a very different story. He done an ok job, nothing more, nothing less. I went from wanting him gone, to being on the fence to being quite positive when we had the summer when we signed Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo. It certainly wasn't this rosy era like some like to paint it, but there were some good times and good wins etc. That's about it though.

How?

All Three permanent managers in a row have shown the easiest way to setup is with the double pivot. 2 of those won trophies, only Ole didn’t. ETH is trying - Lord knows we’re seeing the fallout from it - to move away from that setup because it’s been basically defunct at the highest level for a decade if you want to win one of the 2 big trophies.

People talk of standards falling, well being happy with not trying to close the gap is exactly that. You either try something new and succeed/fail or you bottle it completely and do something you know will never be good enough but it’s familiar and low risk.

This is just a wacky theory based on absolutely nothing that people keep regurgitating.

Why didn't every other or at least most other teams also benefit from less pressure?

The move from Ole to Ten Hag is a lesson in 'the grass isn't always greener'.

Perhaps but it's a move we had to make. Ole wasn't good enough to take us to the next level. It's looking like Ten Hag isn't good enough either but you have to take that risk when changing manager.

Our biggest problem is the club seem to wait too long to realize these managers aren't good enough, instead of being a bit more proactive.

Perhaps but it's a move we had to make. Ole wasn't good enough to take us to the next level. It's looking like Ten Hag isn't good enough either but you have to take that risk when changing manager.

Our biggest problem is the club seem to wait too long to realize these managers aren't good enough, instead of being a bit more proactive.

We need to sack managers who aren't good enough. Jose, Ole and ETH would have been sacked by top clubs long before we sacked them/will sack ETH. Fans need to move on from them. If the next man also isn't good enough, it doesn't vindicate anything.

With Ole he was sacked pretty much as soon as results went south which is fair enough. He completely messed up the transfer window that summer and paid the price. I'd say that was pretty proactive.

Up to then he'd had us performing consistently like a top 4 side in line with the quality of the squad.

Ten Hag has us performing far worse and over a longer period of time but somehow still here - although it seems like lack of funds to sack him and other managers turning us down might be the main reasons.

We need to sack managers who aren't good enough. Jose, Ole and ETH would have been sacked by top clubs long before we sacked them/will sack ETH. Fans need to move on from them. If the next man also isn't good enough, it doesn't vindicate anything.

Indeed mate.

The club needs to let go of this idea that we should give every manager enough time to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're not good enough, basically we wait until everything goes tits up and the season is basically wrote off before we make a move. All of Moyes, Jose and Ole should have been replaced before they were. Only Van Gaal was moved on with a bit of forward planning, though in hindsight it wasn't great planning to go from LVG to Jose but at least the club realized he wasn't taking us anywhere.

It's should be ok to sack a manager who's done alright but isn't pulling up trees.

With Ole he was sacked pretty much as soon as results went south which is fair enough. He completely messed up the transfer window that summer and paid the price. I'd say that was pretty proactive.

Up to then he'd had us performing consistently like a top 4 side in line with the quality of the squad.

Ten Hag has us performing far worse and over a longer period of time but somehow still here - although it seems like lack of funds to sack him and other managers turning us down might be the main reasons.

It was reactive, being proactive would have been asking him to move aside when we didn't win anything for 2 seasons. Ole did a decent job but, I love the guy but it was obvious from at least part way through 20-21 he wasn't the guy to take us to the next level. Yes we were performing like a top 4 side but we weren't performing like a title challenging side. Which is where we should be, top 4 given the resources and players available to the manager of Man Utd should be the bare minimum.

I'd have loved for Ole to win the Europa before he left, but it wasn't to be.

It was reactive, being proactive would have been asking him to move aside when we didn't win anything for 2 seasons. Ole did a decent job but, I love the guy but it was obvious from at least part way through 20-21 he wasn't the guy to take us to the next level. Yes we were performing like a top 4 side but we weren't performing like a title challenging side. Which is where we should be, top 4 given the resources and players available to the manager of Man Utd should be the bare minimum.

I'd have loved for Ole to win the Europa before he left, but it wasn't to be.
I think expecting a title challenge from the squad we had at that time was completely unrealistic. In the first half of 19-20 we were relying on the likes of a younger Pereira, McTominay, James and Lingard but still not too far away from top 4 if you look at the stats.

This is why I always said at the time be careful what you wish for. I never once said Ole was anything special but he had us performing in line with our squad level before 21-22. Night and day from last season where we fortunate to finish top half.

I think expecting a title challenge from the squad we had at that time was completely unrealistic. In the first half of 19-20 we were relying on the likes of a younger Pereira, McTominay, James and Lingard but still not too far away from top 4 if you look at the stats.

This is why I always said at the time be careful what you wish for. I never once said Ole was anything special but he had us performing in line with our squad level before 21-22. Night and day from last season where we fortunate to finish top half.

I agree he did have us performing at that level but all I'm saying is I think that was his limit. He tried to change the style and brought in Ronaldo to try to get to the next level but it was beyond him. Had we not signed Ronaldo and kept playing the same way I'm fairly confident Ole could still be here finishing 3rd-4th the last few seasons.

I think expecting a title challenge from the squad we had at that time was completely unrealistic

While you're not wrong I wonder at what point despite spending around a billion to assemble squads over the last load of years will it be realistic to expect one of these managers to perhaps not win the title but at least bloody even challenge for one? :confused:

3 years on and another £600-700m spent now we're not even wondering if we can launch a title challenge. Now we're hoping we can muster a top 4 challenge.

It seems like that because of the new low bar set by ETH.

Any manager who oversees so many spineless performances against our biggest rivals has no business being here. It's not even about the scorelines in specific matches. But the way City and Liverpool would just turn up and boss us was unacceptable.

Regardless of squad level, any visit to OT should be miserable for them. How many comfortable away games at Anfield under Fergie can you remember?

I agree he did have us performing at that level but all I'm saying is I think that was his limit. He tried to change the style and brought in Ronaldo to try to get to the next level but it was beyond him. Had we not signed Ronaldo and kept playing the same way I'm fairly confident Ole could still be here finishing 3rd-4th the last few seasons.
I agree. Before that season I said it was a big mistake not going for someone like Rice instead. Ultimately what cost him.

3 years on and another £600-700m spent now we're not even wondering if we can launch a title challenge. Now we're hoping we can muster a top 4 challenge.
Yep. Crazy how low the bar has move since.

Yep. Crazy how low the bar has move since.

Some seem to think it's a case of having to take a few steps backwards to move forwards. I hope they're right and the last 3 years haven't been a monumental waste of time and money.

Even if our current trajectory were to start to improve each season starting this season, we're still looking at not even challenging for a title until 26/27 at the earliest probably. And that's if we finish top 4 this year, if we don't it could be even longer.

With the scousers next year was always their year, with United it's becoming 3-4 years from now is our year (maybe).

It seems like that because of the new low bar set by ETH.

Any manager who oversees so many spineless performances against our biggest rivals has no business being here. It's not even about the scorelines in specific matches. But the way City and Liverpool would just turn up and boss us was unacceptable.

Regardless of squad level, any visit to OT should be miserable for them. How many comfortable away games at Anfield under Fergie can you remember?
Bit of a strange comment in regards to City. From the managers who have faced Pep at least five times (over his entire career) only Conte has a better record against him. Ole is in second place, fractionally ahead of Klopp. 4 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses. It's not like they were big losses either, never losing by more than two goals (and over the course of the nine games it was only a -2 goal difference).

Liverpool was a different matter, with only 1 win out of 7 while drawing 3 and losing 3. But it was still only that last match when our entire season was going off the rails that they really spanked us 5-0.

Bit of a strange comment in regards to City. From the managers who have faced Pep at least five times (over his entire career) only Conte has a better record against him. Ole is in second place, fractionally ahead of Klopp. 4 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses. It's not like they were big losses either, never losing by more than two goals (and over the course of the nine games it was only a -2 goal difference).

Liverpool was a different matter, with only 1 win out of 7 while drawing 3 and losing 3. But it was still only that last match when our entire season was going off the rails that they really spanked us 5-0.
Haha, fair enough on City, at least in terms of results. Think that 0-2 really traumatised me.

Against Liverpool, he won zero games iirc and conceded 9 in his last two games against them at home. Disappointingly, it's nothing surprising anymore, but that shouldn't excuse him either.