The Overlap | 115 charges dissected & Arsenal's dark arts | Heated fan debate!

I enjoyed that one, Carragher is a good storyteller.
Impressive self-awareness regarding his competition with Terry and Rio for the England spot. Keane seemed flabbergasted that he just "accepted" his place as 4th/5th choice.

He's rated highly because of his 07/08 season, and to a lesser extend his 08/09 one too. 33 goals in 46 games is an outstanding season. 17 in 33 the following season wasn't bad either.

To add to one of your points, prior to his arrival Gerrard carried the team and our forward options were the likes of Crouch, Cisse, Bellamy, Kuyt etc. Torres was a huge step up.

That being said, Salah, Suarez, Fowler and arguably Mane were all better forwards. There's an argument to say Firmino was as well.

In quite a few matches in those two seasons and maybe even a bit after that when he was fit, it felt like he was a deadly one-chance-one-goal striker.

Players like Salah and Mane benefitted a lot from Klopp's style serving up a lot of chances. Don't think Torres had that luxury under Benitez.

It's like watching kids at kindergarten watching Neville, Scholes, Keane and Wright listening to Carragher. They were enthralled.

Decent watch this. Carragher is good at talking when he isn’t running agendas.

His favourite game of his career (I’m guessing he means Istanbul aside) is one of my worst, most annoying games ever, but like him, I really loved those mid-2000s CL battles with Liverpool.

That City fan carrying on the whole, they shouldn't be allowed to play like that against us, it's not fair. It's pretty much what Real did to beat them in the CL.

Listening to so many ex United legends like Scholes and Neville constantly getting on their knees for Liverpool and constantly running United down is infuriating.

Its gonna absolutely kill these bitter c*nts when United do inevitably get back to the top and start winning leagues and champions leagues again.

Listening to so many ex United legends like Scholes and Neville constantly getting on their knees for Liverpool and constantly running United down is infuriating.

Its gonna absolutely kill these bitter c*nts when United do inevitably get back to the top and start winning leagues and champions leagues again.
Scholes sure doesn't seem to rate de Ligt.

It is absurd. Even the seasons when we have finished ahead of Liverpool you would never know it with the way the pundit universe treat the two clubs.

That City fan carrying on the whole, they shouldn't be allowed to play like that against us, it's not fair. It's pretty much what Real did to beat them in the CL.
No it wasn't. Real played defensively but with way more intent than Arsenal. Said fan sounds like a muppet, they can play how they want, its them it'll cost in the end but the game at the weekend and the games vs Real were not the same.

It is absurd. Even the seasons when we have finished ahead of Liverpool you would never know it with the way the pundit universe treat the two clubs.

I think it is because their standards for us is title challenges and winning. Their standards for Liverpool is to be battling for top 4, so our 'achievements' are disappointing to them the same way it is to most of us fans who want to see us actually in the race for the big titles truly.

It is ridiculous to claim they would be anything other than ecstatic if United were to finally buck up our ideas and win leagues and CL titles. This is unlikely to happen though unless we refuse to accept, and make excuses for, mediocrity.

No it wasn't. Real played defensively but with way more intent than Arsenal. Said fan sounds like a muppet, they can play how they want, its them it'll cost in the end but the game at the weekend and the games vs Real were not the same.

The approach to condense the space around the box and get bodies back behind the ball was the same. If Arsenal had 11 they would have had an out ball and showed more intent.

I think it is because their standards for us is title challenges and winning. Their standards for Liverpool is to be battling for top 4, so our 'achievements' are disappointing to them the same way it is to most of us fans who want to see us actually in the race for the big titles truly.

It is ridiculous to claim they would be anything other than ecstatic if United were to finally buck up our ideas and win leagues and CL titles. This is unlikely to happen though unless we refuse to accept, and make excuses for, mediocrity.
I didn't make any claim around their level of happiness when United are successful again.

We aren't just going to magically be challenging for titles again because something clicks - it will be a process and will be the result of the right decisions being made across the club for a sustained period. I don't think the United pundits help the club in the same way that the Liverpool pundits help theirs. When Liverpool have their seasons when they dip out of the Champions League you don't see Carragher, Murphy, Souness and co. all talking down their club as much as our crew do even when we finish second. It all feeds into the toxicity around the club and makes the job of us getting back to the top even more difficult.

Not that I am saying pundits are a deciding factor, but they are valuable in shaping narratives that then get played out in the media.

The criticism Arsenal are getting for that performance is bizarre. Do people not realise they were down to ten men? They probably would have won the match otherwise.
Most the issue isn't with the 2nd half bar the rolling around. It was first half when Raya was taking a week for goal kicks and in particular the first 20 minutes.

Most the issue isn't with the 2nd half bar the rolling around. It was first half when Raya was taking a week for goal kicks and in particular the first 20 minutes.
City started well, but Arsenal were the better side up until half time following the Rodri injury. In terms of Arsenal's conduct, it wasn't great but it isn't anything new. Haaland wasn't a Saint either.

City started well, but Arsenal were the better side up until half time following the Rodri injury. In terms of Arsenal's conduct, it wasn't great but it isn't anything new. Haaland wasn't a Saint either.
oh I think Haaland was a massive cnut. He's constantly in peoples ears and just acting up.

Its not the shithousery I'd take issue. The time wasting first half (even when City were rocked) was a far bigger issue than second half. It was Eddie Howe like.

Yeah I agree that the pundits don't help when things are bad. They are part of the pile on. Should take more of a backseat and stop feeding soundbites encouraging more negativity.
There wouldn't be half the controversy around VAR and refs if pundits didn't consistently go so hard on them either. Punditry and over analysis combined with social media has made football quite toxic.

I didn't make any claim around their level of happiness when United are successful again.

We aren't just going to magically be challenging for titles again because something clicks - it will be a process and will be the result of the right decisions being made across the club for a sustained period. I don't think the United pundits help the club in the same way that the Liverpool pundits help theirs. When Liverpool have their seasons when they dip out of the Champions League you don't see Carragher, Murphy, Souness and co. all talking down their club as much as our crew do even when we finish second. It all feeds into the toxicity around the club and makes the job of us getting back to the top even more difficult.

Not that I am saying pundits are a deciding factor, but they are valuable in shaping narratives that then get played out in the media.

I know you didn't but the post you responded to did...I was just following the chain as it seemed you were both on the same page. The fact that you replied in agreement, made me think you agreed with that too hence it was a reply to both of you so apologies if not. No biggie.

I don't think the media matters much, to be honest. In 2015/16, all season the media dismissed Leicester the season they won the league talking of how they would inevitably drop off so were not worthy of discussing as title challengers yet that didn't make a difference to their title bid. The decisions within the club, as you state, are what really matters, our ex players are just frustrated fans who have seen us go from title or bust mentality to constantly excusing poor performances and I thought it was a weird statement from the other poster that they would it would kill them to see us successful.

That's rich coming from a City supporter.

I do wish they would get more real fans and not saturate it too much with clickbait WUMs like Buvey.

I do wish they would get more real fans and not saturate it too much with clickbait WUMs like Buvey.

I will never understand the appeal of these people, who the hell wants to look at some twat streaming themselves watching a game on YouTube.

It makes absolutely no sense.

I know you didn't but the post you responded to did...I was just following the chain as it seemed you were both on the same page. The fact that you replied in agreement, made me think you agreed with that too hence it was a reply to both of you so apologies if not. No biggie.

I don't think the media matters much, to be honest. In 2015/16, all season the media dismissed Leicester the season they won the league talking of how they would inevitably drop off so were not worthy of discussing as title challengers yet that didn't make a difference to their title bid. The decisions within the club, as you state, are what really matters, our ex players are just frustrated fans who have seen us go from title or bust mentality to constantly excusing poor performances and I thought it was a weird statement from the other poster that they would it would kill them to see us successful.
Ah fair enough, apologies if my first sentence came off blunt - it wasn't the intention but can see how it could have come off that way.

I think the narrative is quite important now around how clubs feel, and the time allowed for them to build up, especially when I don't think most pundits watch full games anymore unless they are actually covering them. Most people only have time to watch the games of their own teams and then watch highlights of the rest of the league, so rely on pundits and journalists to fill in a lot of the gaps. If people were to listen to pundits you would think we have been way off Liverpool for the last 10 years when we have actually finished above them about half of those seasons. Especially with the new team in at United at decision making level, I think patience is required before we see the fruits of what are hopefully good long term decisions.

It’s bad enough Liverpool and even neutral pundits and ex players constantly running United down but when our own ex players do it it’s infuriating.

I think the likes of Scholes and Neville take satisfaction from how we have struggled over the last 10 years because it further enhances how good they were when they were playing.

What makes it worse though is the constant arse licking of Liverpool, even when United were at our most dominant we didn’t have ex Liverpool players saying how great we were.

Scholes sure doesn't seem to rate de Ligt.
I don't think I could choose to watch something knowing he's on it. Talks complete and utter shite, and moaning constantly. I assume he's going to die on this hill having heard that Dier kept De Ligt out of the Bayern side which was proven to be total nonsense that he could have researched first

The Chelsea fan Rory Jennings is almost at the opposite end of insufferable. Just endless whinging, constantly trying to find any crumbs of negativity in a fairly positive start to the season. It's telling that it's rival fans, like that Liverpool fan, who has to provide some semblance of perspective to his bullshit misery parade. Even the Everton fan was like, mate you sound like an Everton fan :lol:

Scholes saying that city/Arsenal game was a great game is some laugh too. If he wants to watch that every week, then fair play to him but it was an awful spectacle for me.

It’s bad enough Liverpool and even neutral pundits and ex players constantly running United down but when our own ex players do it it’s infuriating.

I think the likes of Scholes and Neville take satisfaction from how we have struggled over the last 10 years because it further enhances how good they were when they were playing.

What makes it worse though is the constant arse licking of Liverpool, even when United were at our most dominant we didn’t have ex Liverpool players saying how great we were.
I think they just live in a world where United should be - not just challenging for the league - but actually winning it 3/5 seasons. Even if we were doing what Arsenal are doing right now, we'd be slated.

The first title we win will be met with "it doesn't mean much if they don't do it again next year," with the second met by "they need to be serious contenders in Europe." Because that's just what they knew.

It's like in anything else: if you have unrealistic standards (a word often used in discussions about United), and fall short of them, it's deflating for everyone involved. You need achievable goals that you can build on off the back of the subsequent morale boost. Pundits like Scholes and Neville fail to grasp this, in my opinion.

The Chelsea fan Rory Jennings is almost at the opposite end of insufferable. Just endless whinging, constantly trying to find any crumbs of negativity in a fairly positive start to the season. It's telling that it's rival fans, like that Liverpool fan, who has to provide some semblance of perspective to his bullshit misery parade. Even the Everton fan was like, mate you sound like an Everton fan :lol:
They get sucked into the clickbait and talkSPORT cycle and find it hard to revert. Baz is a good egg, hasn't been infected yet.

I think they just live in a world where United should be - not just challenging for the league - but actually winning it 3/5 seasons. Even if we were doing what Arsenal are doing right now, we'd be slated.

The first title we win will be met with "it doesn't mean much if they don't do it again next year," with the second met by "they need to be serious contenders in Europe." Because that's just what they knew.

It's like in anything else: if you have unrealistic standards (a word often used in discussions about United), and fall short of them, it's deflating for everyone involved. You need achievable goals that you can build on off the back of the subsequent morale boost. Pundits like Scholes and Neville fail to grasp this, in my opinio

It's like in anything else: if you have unrealistic standards (a word often used in discussions about United), and fall short of them, it's deflating for everyone involved. You need achievable goals that you can build on off the back of the subsequent morale boost. Pundits like Scholes and Neville fail to grasp this, in my opinion.

No team will ever dominate like we did in the 90s and 00s ever again, we can’t say City have because they are a sports washed project that has won everything they have won by cheating.

Neville and Scholes love to run with the narrative that everything at United is bad, I understand that they have certain expectations for the club but constantly running this negative narrative is only doing the club harm.

Liverpool missed out on the champions league a couple of seasons ago and the narrative was how unlucky they were with VVD’s injury. United had one of the most injury hit seasons in premier league history last season and all anyone could talk about was how poor the team was and how much pressure the manager is under.

I just don’t like choosing to be negative, there’s enough idiots of ex players from different clubs that will speak negatively about our club without our own ex players also doing so. Why not speak about all there is to be positive about, speak about Yoro choosing us over Real Madrid, speak about finally getting the right looking structure off the field, speak about the potential new 100k seater stadium and allow the results on the field come naturally.

Last edited:
What benefits does it bring to

No team will ever dominate like we did in the 90s and 00s ever again, we can’t say City have because they are a sports washed project that has won everything they have won by cheating.

Neville and Scholes love to run with the narrative that everything at United is bad, I understand that they have certain expectations for the club but constantly running this negative narrative is only doing the club harm.

Liverpool missed out on the champions league a couple of seasons ago and the narrative was how unlucky they were with VVD’s injury. United had one of the most injury hit seasons in premier league history last season and all anyone could talk about was how poor the team was and how much pressure the manager is under.

I just don’t like choosing to be negative, there’s enough idiots of ex players from different clubs that will speak negatively about our club without our own ex players also doing so. Why not speak about all there is to be positive about, speak about Yoro choosing us over Real Madrid, speak about finally getting the right looking structure off the field, speak about the potential new 100k seater stadium and allow the results on the field come naturally.
Looks like we're in total agreement.

Sounds just like the CAF TBH!