The Overlap | 115 charges dissected & Arsenal's dark arts | Heated fan debate!

The Overlap has gotten even better since Carragher is off it. Jill Scott and Roy Keane have great chemistry. I find Neville to be the most tiresome of the 4, feels like he always needs to add something even when he should just shut up, but overall it's a great watch/listen.

Watched one of the ones last week, Keane's reaction to someone dropping his trousers when carrying them was brilliant.

They should just do Room 101 as a permanent feature or new podcast. It's brilliant. :lol:

I feel like Keane paragliding in Brazil above a hotel with others watching him would be a fun piece of art. :lol:

The Overlap has gotten even better since Carragher is off it. Jill Scott and Roy Keane have great chemistry. I find Neville to be the most tiresome of the 4, feels like he always needs to add something even when he should just shut up, but overall it's a great watch/listen.

Neville is a bit of a bore, really. He has a habit of interrupting or talking over the others with the most mundane stuff.

But overall it is a great show. I'd rather sit and listen to these ex-pros tell interesting anecdotes, recall the highs and lows of their careers etc than sit through any analysis shows.

Neville is a bit of a bore, really. He has a habit of interrupting or talking over the others with the most mundane stuff.

But overall it is a great show. I'd rather sit and listen to these ex-pros tell interesting anecdotes, recall the highs and lows of their careers etc than sit through any analysis shows.
And the worse kind at that, a bore who doesn't realise he's one!

I mean it's a bit harsh, he's overall ok and he brings the show together, but he'd gain to shut up a bit more often.

The story of Rooney desperately trying to make weight the night before pre-season weigh-ins. :lol:

Hearing that Rooney stuff was frustrating. Knew at the time he was holding himself back from being better than he was, and he was absolutely fantastic. Could have been other worldly.

Hearing that Rooney stuff was frustrating. Knew at the time he was holding himself back from being better than he was, and he was absolutely fantastic. Could have been other worldly.

I get that, but I don't think it's a big deal. Same with Keane talking about his nights out and turning up for training hungover. If he wasn't that type of person, would he still be the same player. What do you lose in a player by removing their personality?

It's easy to imagine that if they were more professional they would be even better, but it's not that simple. And for players like Rooney and Keane, who achieved so much and performed so well for us, I think it's something you have to accept.

For players that don't perform it's a different matter.

I don't mind Carragher on it to be honest, but I like Rooney better in this kind of format. He's hilarious.

That's just the way he was, he wasn't a Ronaldo or other massively driven players. It had its pros and cons.
I don't mind Carragher on it to be honest, but I like Rooney better in this kind of format. He's hilarious.
I really dislike Carragher so I'm quite happy he's off it. I was listening to an episode of the back catalogue the other day he was in, which confirmed my impression the show is better off without him.

That's just the way he was, he wasn't a Ronaldo or other massively driven players. It had its pros and cons.

I really dislike Carragher so I'm quite happy he's off it. I was listening to an episode of the back catalogue the other day he was in, which confirmed my impression the show is better off without him.

I didn't really mind Carragher on it, but there are two things with him that I find jarring:
Firstly, quizzes. He knows his stuff, but there have been a couple of times when other guests are being quizzed on something and he just can't help but interrupt.

Secondly, the way he digs at the others. They all do it - and Keane probably does it more than everyone else - but the delivery is just off with Carragher, like he is trying too hard.

Known Keane and Wright were tight, but it’s clearly very, very close. The bit about Keane’s daughter tells you those families are seriously well threaded!

Known Keane and Wright were tight, but it’s clearly very, very close. The bit about Keane’s daughter tells you those families are seriously well threaded!
Yeah, that was a nice intro to the episode!

It's a really great show, just a lovely easy listen. It's also nice that overall they're actually quite self-effacing.

I’m glad they’re back in the UK studio, seeing them still “in” Berlin weeks after the Euros ended was giving me seriously uncanny vibes.

I’m glad they’re back in the UK studio, seeing them still “in” Berlin weeks after the Euros ended was giving me seriously uncanny vibes.
Is this one not filmed before the Euros? Which also gives me odd vibes. :lol:

I haven't watched the entire episode yet, but I assumed it was.

Is this one not filmed before the Euros? Which also gives me odd vibes. :lol:

I haven't watched the entire episode yet, but I assumed it was.

Yeah it has got to be recorded. Gary is speaking about seeing Bruce Springsteen in Sunderland and a quick google says that was May.

Interesting discussion about City and wondering if low transfer activity is due to the hearing.

Very sad moment when Ian Wright talked about Kevin Campbell and his brother.

Honestly I find Jill Scott so boring. Her stories aren’t interesting or does she have any charisma telling them. Maybe they could get Karen Carney or someone else to switch it up.

Bit of a rubbish fan debate this time. Not a lot of fans represented.

Neville really does have some strange opinions. He's basically advocated for us to switch to a 442 diamond or something just so we can fit Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount and Bruno in the same team, with 2 strikers up front. With absolutely no thought as to where that leaves Garnacho. Or Amad. Or whether it would actually benefit the team having absolutely no width in the side.

Carragher was baffled listening to him.

This was similar to England in the summer where Neville was insistent that Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden has to play even if it meant putting Foden wide left where he either had zero effect on the game or drifted away and rendered our left side non-existent. He's completely unwilling to ever see a player benched for the balance of a team and is obsessed with trying to fit as many stars into the same 11 as possible.

Honestly I find Jill Scott so boring. Her stories aren’t interesting or does she have any charisma telling them. Maybe they could get Karen Carney or someone else to switch it up.

Think it's more of a mates get together, rather than profit/optimally getting most views oriented show.
What i'm getting at is that one would have to leave on their own accord, before they are replaced.

Very sad moment when Ian Wright talked about Kevin Campbell and his brother.
It was. It was a touching moment, it felt very poignant. Love Wrighty on the show, he comes across as a lovely guy.
She's great and has great chemistry with most of the guys, mainly Keane.
Neville really does have some strange opinions. He's basically advocated for us to switch to a 442 diamond or something just so we can fit Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount and Bruno in the same team, with 2 strikers up front. With absolutely no thought as to where that leaves Garnacho. Or Amad. Or whether it would actually benefit the team having absolutely no width in the side.
He wasn't really advocating it so much as putting the idea forward, and as he often does with stupid ideas that pop into his head and are then verbalised, he ran with it for a bit. It was just a random idea that he had in the moment.

Not sure why Gary Neville is getting such hate on here, I think their personalities all create a nice balance and Gary is usually the butt of the joke, but a good sport all the same.

He's tiresome for me when he's co-commenting on United games (he's just a naturally pessimistic fan I feel), but I think he's great in this.

Not really a big fan of The Overlap

Much prefer Under the Cosh they get more interesting guests who aren’t as high profile