The Next World Record Transfer Will Be....

meninred

This in my view is a one-off transfer. This record may not be broken for quite some time but we will be familiar with transfers of more than 100 million.

stepic

This in my view is a one-off transfer. This record may not be broken for quite some time but we will be familiar with transfers of more than 100 million.
Agree with this. Similar to the gap between Zidane and Ronaldo

red_devil83

I can't see this being broken for a long time. I think the bottom will fall out of football finances before another player of this calibre, with an achievable release clause and in his prime years come around.

D4X73r

I don't know but if we look at it, Neymar joined PSG on a free because he was a free agent.

Neymar bought himself out of his contract (with the money from Qatar). So technically this isn't a world record transfer imo

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't know but if we look at it, Neymar joined PSG on a free because he was a free agent.

Neymar bought himself out of his contract (with the money from Qatar). So technically this isn't a world record transfer imo
Indeed. As has been pointed out, technically the money was paid to trigger the release clause; it was not a transfer fee

Crashoutcassius

Pogba could well break it again if he starts performing, becomes the biggest star in football and barce or madrid want him.

I thought Verratti could break it this summer - but no way now. Pogba the only real player in the world that justifies it in the dimension of ability, age, stardom

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

So did we sign Ander Herrera as a free agent? Was Javi Martinez not Bayern's transfer record until this summer?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The current record, if we count Neymar's as a real transfer fee...I can't see it being broken for a good 3-4 years.

redspoony

The only player I could see breaking the record is Mbappe. And we're talking there about a player with one season under his belt in real terms.

MUFC OK

Will it ever be broken again?
I honestly dont think it will, it's a unique set of circumstances that led to the figures of this deal, there may be some sort of fall out and in any case I dont see football inflation carrying on how it has been of late. City have the ability to smash it if they want to though.

D4X73r

So did we sign Ander Herrera as a free agent? Was Javi Martinez not Bayern's transfer record until this summer?
I wasn't so much into transfers until I joined this forum. But if they bought out of their contract by themself, then technically speaking: yes. they were free agents.

because after the player brings in the money for the buyout clause, he is free and can sign for any other team he wants. So basically Neymar could have sign for us after he gave Barca the money.

the point at the 2 buyouts you mentioned before is, the players received their money from the club they joined afterwards.

problem with the neymar deal is, that he got the money from a 3rd party (even if everyone knows that PSG = Qatar). so now every player with a buyout clause can be bought without harming FFP because for example Apple could give Ronaldo or Messi the money for the buyout and the next club only has to meet the wanted salary.