Music The National

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Anyway, their previous two albums are just as good. Runaway is such a fecking awesome song.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nah, Alligator was roughly as good as anything that's come since, TWFM was their fourth properly great album in a row. Sad Songs isn't on that level but I still love it anyway.

Sarni

I meant Boxer and High Violet, not the previous ones.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Incidentally they just posted this little acoustic session from NPR on their Facebook wall. It features "This Is The Last Time", "I Need My Girl", "Pink Rabbits" and lastly "Sea of Love".

EDIT: Here's the YouTube video.

Sarni

I'm seeing them live today at midight at Open'er.

Eat that.

Sarni

Amazing concert, I never realised Matt was so charismatic. He ended up jumping into the crowd and staying there after his band had already left the stage, prior to that he just left the stage and wandered into the crowd from the side walking like a couple of meters from where I stood, giving everyone high fives etc. They played all their most famous songs although they skipped Pink Rabbits which is a bit of a shame. I'll try to see them again when I get the chance, definitely one of my favourite bands these days.

Maagge

Amazing concert, I never realised Matt was so charismatic. He ended up jumping into the crowd and staying there after his band had already left the stage, prior to that he just left the stage and wandered into the crowd from the side walking like a couple of meters from where I stood, giving everyone high fives etc. They played all their most famous songs although they skipped Pink Rabbits which is a bit of a shame. I'll try to see them again when I get the chance, definitely one of my favourite bands these days.
I saw them yesterday at Roskilde and it was amazing. I would have liked to hear "Ada" and "Pink Rabbits" but that's always the case when you see a band with such an amount of good songs.
And Matt usually jumps into the crowd. At least he's done it the two times I've seen them. He went right past me as well :D

EverReddy

Think they're a band you either get and love or don't get and fail to see what all the fuss is about. Seems that few people are just neutral.

For me, one of the very best bands around at the moment. Seen them live couple of times in last 3 years - both times they were great. Got tickets for the Ally Pally gig in November. Both times I've seen them live they've made a point of playing songs from each of their albums - think that's testament to the quality of their songs - not just flogging the latest one.

If you can get to see them, do.

Sarni

I saw them yesterday at Roskilde and it was amazing. I would have liked to hear "Ada" and "Pink Rabbits" but that's always the case when you see a band with such an amount of good songs.
And Matt usually jumps into the crowd. At least he's done it the two times I've seen them. He went right past me as well :D
He really looked like he enjoyed the concert. They didn't gather the biggest crowd of the festival or even the day since Queens of the Stone Age played just before but he still managed to have a good contact with people who came.

Did he also drink wine at yours festival? It was funny seeing him go crazy as he gives you an impression of a calm person when you first see him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd have been gutted if they didn't play Pink Rabbits, one of my favourite songs of all time at this stage. The "I'm surprised you wanna dance with me now" lines get me every time, up there with "I've missed you for 29 years" lines from Slow Show. The stereotypical music nerd thing of "their lyrics speak to me" has never applied to me more than with The National. It's genuinely hard for me to describe just how much their music means to me. They're a band I'll be in love with for the rest of my life.

The new album might not be quite as good as Boxer, but it's my favourite. It and Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers seems like a description of every bit of heartbreak I've gone through, proper music for the soul.

Maagge

He really looked like he enjoyed the concert. They didn't gather the biggest crowd of the festival or even the day since Queens of the Stone Age played just before but he still managed to have a good contact with people who came.

Did he also drink wine at yours festival? It was funny seeing him go crazy as he gives you an impression of a calm person when you first see him.
We had Metallica play later in the evening so The National probably had the second biggest crowd of the day. The capacity of the stage they played is ~60k and from what I saw they probably got up around to that number of people.

He did drink wine and screamed his lungs out. He also ran around the onstage camera man tying him up with the microphone cord. When he jumped down to the crowd the stage personnel couldn't quite follow him around so the sound went during "Mr. November" meaning the crowd did the singing. It was a truly memorable experience. He does give you the impression of being a bit of a madman when you watch their gigs.

Sarni

He also jumped out into the crowd at Mr November here. He also threw the microphone pole into the crowd just before that and broke his glass. He looks like an English teacher from your average school but he's really a bit mad, I loved it.

I reckon he got around 30k here. QotsA probably got over 60k and Kings of Leon got 70k+ the next day easily in spite of being quite average (I also have serious suspicion that they played vocals from tape).

Maagge

Going to see them again tonight. Can't wait. Warming up now with the match and a bit of beer. I'll meet up with my mates just after the game is finished.

Sarni

They're playing in Warsaw on June 9 and I'd like to go but it might be difficult to get a day off on that particular Monday.

Liam147

On Probation
So have you grown up yet Liam?
I'm not listening to them again, Deco. The only remotely listenable song of theirs was Bloodbuzz Ohio and I didn't like that. I've never seen a frontman so devoid of everything. I'm not saying that there's no one who likes them, as a couple of mates of mine are very taken by them, but there is absolutely no appeal there to me. Just do not get them.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If I were to get one of their albums to see if I like them, which one should I get?

Maagge

A few things people may not have seen:

I haven't seen the first one before. Currently listening. The second one I posted earlier on this page though.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
High Violet and Alligator are probably more immediate, Boxer is a real grower.
In order: Boxer, High Violet, Alligator. I got Boxer first and just listened to it driving back and forth to work one week (40 min each day). I then bought High Violet, Alligator, and Trouble Will Find Me. :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They somehow managed to release a new song without me knowing.....

Stringer

New album out 8th September. I'm ready for another classic as their last four have been brilliant.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Going to see them in London in a few months. Can't wait.

Kearnkoff69

Very good album. Between the War on Drugs and The National it's been a hell of a fall for music so far.