Music The National

Sally Cinnamon

Surprised there was no thread on these. Definitely one of the better bands of the last 10 years or so.

New album coming out 20th May. This isn't really a new song but it'll be on the new album:

Some older stuff

Personal favourite:

Haven't been listening to much new music lately so defs looking forward to this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Great band, Alligator, Boxer and High Violet all classics, SSFDL is great too. Next album could make them huge, they've been getting bigger with every album.

JohnLocke

I was hoping this was a Grand National thread.

I like The National too. The new song seems good, but I'm not in mood for The National these days.

I like Sorrow and Anyone's Ghost the best.

Ivor Ballokov

Surprised there was no thread on these. Definitely one of the better bands of the last 10 years or so.

New album coming out 20th May. This isn't really a new song but it'll be on the new album:

Some older stuff

Personal favourite:

Haven't been listening to much new music lately so defs looking forward to this.
They are the best band of the new millenium in my opinion, I can't think of anything I don't like by them.

Can't wait until their new album.

Sally Cinnamon

I have two things to say about them. One, they are terrible. And two I've never seen the main stage of a festival so empty for a band. The place evacuated for them. Really bad.
Liam, stop talking absolute shite!

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
They are a great band. I actually listened to "High Violet" again a couple of days ago, it's still great. And seeing as they were announced to play Roskilde Festival last week I have to say I'm really looking forward to the new album.
I saw them play Roskilde Festival in 2010 as well and they're great live as well. Matt Berninger jumped into the crowd while singing parts of a song.

Here they are playing a session in an old castle for Pitchfork.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
:lol: I saw them at a festival, they were good live. The crowd wasn't huge (Beyonce was on at the same time) but they were very into it.
Oxegen? I was in the pit for when he jumped in.

Decotron

I have two things to say about them. One, they are terrible. And two I've never seen the main stage of a festival so empty for a band. The place evacuated for them. Really bad.
:wenger: They are clearly not.

You seem to get a lot of things wrong. Luckily its only the internet. I hope you are better in real life...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Been dying for this album for the last month, it finally leaked.

Maagge

I'm actually surprised to see none of "Ada", "Slow Show" and "Mistaken for Strangers" mentioned. Very good songs all of them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm actually surprised to see none of "Ada", "Slow Show" and "Mistaken for Strangers" mentioned. Very good songs all of them.
Ada is great alright, I like the Sufjans Stevens influence on it. The "29 years" line in Slow Show is a killer.

Maagge

Ada is great alright, I like the Sufjans Stevens influence on it. The "29 years" line in Slow Show is a killer.
Exactly how I feel about it. I think about that line every time I listen to it.

Maagge

Acquiring now. One of my favorite bands, possibly of all time. One of the best things about them for me is the percussion, it's not often that drums really can lift a song but many of their songs would fail if not for the percussion in the background.
Bryan Devendorf is really good, it has to be said.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
I remember a hilarious moment when Matt Berninger decided he was going to be rock'n'roll during a live show I was at, and proceeded to try to wreck his mic stand. He tried a few times, then just put it back on stage, looked at it a bit disappointingly and said something like "oh, well.." and kept on singing the song. That moment is stuck in my mind for some reason and made the concert so much better.

jem

Some older stuff

Personal favourite:

First time I ever heard them was on the end of that Game of Thrones episode. Decent enough, if a touch underwhelming (from what I've heard, which admittedly isn't a lot.) Get a bit sick of all the beards and earnestness on display these days.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Took me a few listens to get into this album (as it usually does with the national, High Violet was the only one I totally got straight away). I'm addicted to it now though, as always it was Matt Berninger's lyrics that drew me in. Definitely one of my favourite bands of all time, they're the kind of timeless band that kids will still love in twenty or thirty years.

Maagge

First listen on the new record pleased me. Some very good songs even on first listen. "Fireproof", "Sea of Love" and "Graceless" springs to mind.
Did anyone else notice how the guitar on "I Need My Girl" is very much similar to the one at the end of Sufjan Stevens' "Impossible Soul". Skip to ehm... 22:20.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This album is fecking class.

Humiliation - fantastic song.
It's absolutely fantastic, the best album of the year so far for me and I doubt it's going to be beaten. I basically love every single song on it.

I went mad when I found out yesterday that they've been announced to play at a festival I'm going to in Gdynia in early July, fantastic news.

Maagge

"Pink Rabbits" is amazing.
They just announced on Facebook that they're going to play a show at Loppen in Copenhagen the 20th of June. It's a very small venue but I hope I'm able to get tickets. If I do I'll see them twice this summer. :D

EDIT: I just googled the capacity of Loppen. There's room for 450 people :nervous:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thank Christ, I was wondering why the thread had been bumped. First thought was they'd broken up, not cool.

Yeah, Pink Rabbits is the best track on the album, one of my favourites of theirs.

Been listening to their first album over the last couple of weeks. Not a patch on the later albums but still worth listening to.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I Should Live in Salt, Demons, Sea of Love, Heavenfaced, I Need a Girl and Pink Rabbits are my favourite tracks but there's not a single bad track on the album. It's fecking amazing.