The Mueller Report

I’m going to induce from that that the senior law inforcement is a Trump operative at the DOJ, possibly Barr, who is framing the evidence of collusion as evidence of manipulation which has been their tactic all along.

“We thought we were going there to discuss Russian adoptions”.

“How were we to know that Wikileaks and Guccifer2.0 are or operate in conjunction with the FSB?”

“How did we know that Kislyak was acting on behalf of the Russian Government?”

From my perspective the biggest problem has been the establishment Dems and msnbc/cnn media jumping all over the "Trump colluded to steal the election" narrative while there were still so many unknowns to the detriment of actually moving the party forward (like that chump that is DNC chair).
Yea but what's new? We've been complaining about media impartiality and fact checking for as long as I can remember. I'm talking about people in general.... Loads of people jump on narratives without the facts, always been the case but with Google within reach most of the time, and the amount of times people end up being duped you'd think we'd all be a bit more careful. Right now it's fool me once, fool me as many times as you want....

And yes, I do it too (from time to time) but I at least, actively try not to, or catch myself when I do. Some others just double down and put up the blinders. No critical thought... No questions just acceptance. If you treat all your sources the same (with a pinch of salt), and look for some type of evidence or proof no matter where its coming from, you're better off.

Personally, I don't know how involved in the Russia thing Trump is, but there's clearly something there wrt him, his family as his campaign... The exoneration arguement is pure BS, imo.

This is why everyone should want the report released to Congress (with redactions related security clearance), and to the American people in some form.

Point being, the report was supposed to bring out damning evidence...which it did not.
Was it? Did it?

I can be sure Trump is a cnut. A very corrupt one at that.
Yes. Yes he is.
We can be sure that if Barr’s letter contained the most positive thing that he could salvage from the 300+ page report then what he chose not to mention is possibly very damaging indeed.
Reasonable assumption, but at this point that's all it is. We on the same page though...

You're the only person to say hoax in this thread.
No Collusion bruv! You both are the only 2 posters to say it ITT.

Last edited:
Yea but what's new? We've been complaining about media impartiality and fact checking for as long as I can remember. I'm talking about people in general.... Loads of people jump on narratives without the facts, always been the case but with Google within reach most of the time, and the amount of times people end up being duped you'd think we'd all be a bit more careful. Right now it's fool me once, fool me as many times as you want....

And yes, I do it too (from time to time) but I at least, actively try not to, or catch myself when I do. Some others just double down and put up the blinders. No critical thought... No questions just acceptance. If you treat all your sources the same (with a pinch of salt), and look for some type of evidence or proof no matter where its coming from, you're better off.

Personally, I don't know how involved in the Russia thing Trump is, but there's clearly something there wrt him, his family as his campaign... The exoneration arguement is pure BS, imo.

This is why everyone should want the report released to Congress (with redactions related security clearance), and to the American people in some form.

Was it? Did it?

Yes. Yes he is.
Reasonable assumption, but at this point that's all it is. We on the same page though...

No Collusion bruv! You both are the only 2 posters to say it ITT.

Personally I think Trump and his people were more guilty of textbook conspiracy/collusion type stuff with Netanyahu and bin Salman's people than Russia. And from what I have seen in the past year I am far more worried about the far right from Israeli and Saudi Arabia's influencing US policy than Russia.

Point being, the report was supposed to bring out damning evidence...which it did not. At least not until now. And the preliminary reports leans towards no damning evidence that'll lead to impeachment. Do we really hope anything significant would show up on the 'unknown' parts of the report? Perhaps it'll be revealed in due time, but then I don't have any hopes that report will do anything to damage his presidency.

Yes I'd say it's highly likely that the report will contain damning evidence, given what we've seen take place in public, and what Barr has already said:

The Special Counsel therefore did not draw a conclusion - one way or the other – as to whether the examined conduct constituted obstruction. Instead, for each of the relevant actions investigated, the report sets out evidence on both sides of the question and leaves unresolved what the Special Counsel views as “difficult issues” of law and fact concerning whether the President's actions and intent could be viewed as obstruction. The Special Counsel states that “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”

Over the course of the investigation, the Special Counsel's office engaged in discussions with certain Department officials regarding many of the legal and factual matters at issue in the Special Counsel's obstruction investigation. After reviewing the Special Counsel's final report on these issues; consulting with Department officials, including the Office of Legal Counsel; and applying the principles of federal prosecution that guide our charging decisions, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and I have concluded that the evidence developed during the Special Counsel's investigation is not sufficient to establish that the President committed an obstruction-of-justice offense.

Why would the AG need to discuss "difficult issues" of law with the Office of Legal Counsel to determine whether to prosecute the president, if there wasn't substantive evidence? That's a Trump appointee telling you right there that he wasn't sure whether or not the president committed a crime, and he had to investigate it with the help of an organisation that "typically deal with legal issues of particular complexity and importance or about which two or more agencies are in disagreement", i.e. folks who deal with particularly tricky legal issues.

Even just on the Russian conspiracy, we have very little clue what this refers to:

...multiple offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign.

Given that Kushner was considered a national security risk, Flynn was kicked out without much explanation, and the very limited detail we do have on Russian contacts, there's plenty of reason to suspect this alludes to something very serious. He provided absolutely zero detail on it because it was unrelated to whether or not Trump and co. committed a crime in doing so, but that doesn't mean they didn't fumble their incompetent asses into some shady shit.

I’m going to induce from that that the senior law inforcement is a Trump operative at the DOJ, possibly Barr, who is framing the evidence of collusion as evidence of manipulation which has been their tactic all along.

“We thought we were going there to discuss Russian adoptions”.

“How were we to know that Wikileaks and Guccifer2.0 are or operate in conjunction with the FSB?”

“How did we know that Kislyak was acting on behalf of the Russian Government?”
Oh sorry, we didn't know we couldn't do that.

Yes I'd say it's highly likely that the report will contain damning evidence, given what we've seen take place in public, and what Barr has already said:

Why would the AG need to discuss "difficult issues" of law with the Office of Legal Counsel to determine whether to prosecute the president, if there wasn't substantive evidence? That's a Trump appointee telling you right there that he wasn't sure whether or not the president committed a crime, and he had to investigate it with the help of an organisation that "typically deal with legal issues of particular complexity and importance or about which two or more agencies are in disagreement", i.e. folks who deal with particularly tricky legal issues.

Even just on the Russian conspiracy, we have very little clue what this refers to:

Given that Kushner was considered a national security risk, Flynn was kicked out without much explanation, and the very limited detail we do have on Russian contacts, there's plenty of reason to suspect this alludes to something very serious. He provided absolutely zero detail on it because it was unrelated to whether or not Trump and co. committed a crime in doing so, but that doesn't mean they didn't fumble their incompetent asses into some shady shit.

I always found the below quote odd, esp from the Special Counsel and Attorney General.

The Special Counsel states that “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”

It is in direct conflict with "presumption of innocence" which is one of the basic fundamentals of any legal system i.e. Innocent until proven guilty. If it cannot be concluded that President committed any crime, then the question of exoneration is moot and doesn't arise at all.

What I feel is that the report has evidence of president's connections with Russia (not that significant to be deemed collusion but still present) and some of his action may be construed as obstruction of justice. Since the interpretation of that 'may be' would be the key, perhaps there is a difference of opinion about those stickability of the issues between SC & AG making them 'difficult'. This is in line with the rumours floating that AG version of the release is a vanilla narrative that benefits Trump and does not present to full coloured version. Perhaps if full report is released and the 'difficult' bits are not redacted citing confidentiality, the public may come to know.

I always found the below quote odd, esp from the Special Counsel and Attorney General.

It is in direct conflict with "presumption of innocence" which is one of the basic fundamentals of any legal system i.e. Innocent until proven guilty. If it cannot be concluded that President committed any crime, then the question of exoneration is moot and doesn't arise at all.

What I feel is that the report has evidence of president's connections with Russia (not that significant to be deemed collusion but still present) and some of his action may be construed as obstruction of justice. Since the interpretation of that 'may be' would be the key, perhaps there is a difference of opinion about those stickability of the issues between SC & AG making them 'difficult'. This is in line with the rumours floating that AG version of the release is a vanilla narrative that benefits Trump and does not present to full coloured version. Perhaps if full report is released and the 'difficult' bits are not redacted citing confidentiality, the public may come to know.

My reading of it is that isn't a comment about alleged criminality, but alleged misconduct. What he did didn't reach the bar for criminal prosecution, but they're not fitting of a president. In which case it seems entirely appropriate to say for the record that his misconduct prevents him from being exonerated.

I largely agree, but then I don't understand your original question? What you've outlined this would be damning evidence, that we've not yet seen.

I largely agree, but then I don't understand your original question? What you've outlined this would be damning evidence, that we've not yet seen.

I was referring to original purpose of the investigation. Did he collude with Russia? Did Russia fix the elections? I was expecting the report to indict more key people or open up a broader investigation based on it's findings. Wasn't misconduct what this report was supposed to investigate? We knew from day 1 there was misconduct and I was hoping this report would crystallize that, yet feel we are back to where we started...just speculating.

I was referring to original purpose of the investigation. Did he collude with Russia? Did Russia fix the elections? I was expecting the report to indict more key people or open up a broader investigation based on it's findings. Wasn't misconduct what this report was supposed to investigate? We knew from day 1 there was misconduct and I was hoping this report would crystallize that, yet feel we are back to where we started...just speculating.
We've only had a 4 page 'summary' that's why. We barely know anything more than we did a month ago, just an assertion that there's nothing to see here... Patience.

There’s currently around 30 investigations into Trump and Trump Org which have stemmed from the Mueller investigation. Bank fraud, money laundering, emoluments, campaign finance violations, tax violations, you name it.

Barr’s 4 page “summary” touched on two specific issues, carefully phrased to reduce scope.

It was basically “We did not find a contract signed by Trump and Putin” and “The SCO did not come to the conclusion that he obstructed justice, therefor I cannot”.

Caveat being that Mueller is an investigator and prosecutor, it is not within his powers to find anyone guilty. He can only present the evidence and let those with the authority decide. Barr may well be correct in saying that the President cannot be indicted, he’s 100% wrong in blocking the House from carrying out the necessary oversight though.

Nah that's not what you said...you were talking about the report in general.

Muller was not investigating whether the Russians fixed the elections. That was media hyperbole and recognised as such at the time. What he was investigating was whether they interfered. And he found that they did. It's only because of misplaced expectations that this seems like a small thing.

We don't know much about the Russian "collusion" aspect beyond the fact he didn't commit a crime. I think the majority of people presumed that if he did anything on that front it would be unlikely to meet the threshold of criminal conduct. There could still be a lot wrong with non-criminal conduct. At the very least we know there are things to raise suspicions.

We've only had a 4 page 'summary' that's why. We barely know anything more than we did a month ago, just an assertion that there's nothing to see here... Patience.

We know he was not charged with either thing. That's not barely anything, man. Just re-read the thread if you think that wasn't one of the main things people wanted to know.

We know he was not charged with either thing. That's not barely anything, man. Just re-read the thread if you think that wasn't one of the main things people wanted to know.
It kind of is though unless you were expecting charges here? Personally, and I've said this before in here, I'm none the wiser...

It kind of is though unless you were expecting charges here? Personally, and I've said this before in here, I'm none the wiser...

Are we seriously saying that a significant portion of the speculation was not around whether his offences amounted to criminal behaviour?

Are we seriously saying that a significant portion of the speculation was not around whether his offences amounted to criminal behaviour?
Feck knows, you tell me. Haven't got a clue what other people were speculating...

Feck knows, you tell me. Haven't got a clue what other people were speculating...

Weird. You posted there over 100 times, likely entered that thread over 1,000 times, you were one of the top 25 most active posters in the thread over a period of 18 months, you quoted lots of people speculating, and yet you have no recollection of whether people were discussing criminality...in a thread about a criminal case.

This is why people are "gloating". Because people are pretending the primary focus of the speculation was barely even part of the conversation. And that all happened after Barr's memo. For obvious reasons.

Caveat being that Mueller is an investigator and prosecutor, it is not within his powers to find anyone guilty. He can only present the evidence and let those with the authority decide.

He was authorized to prosecute guilty parties. Yes, he's not judge, jury and executioner...but he has powers to bring guilty parties to trial/courts. What I meant was he didn't find anything significant that could bring the Presidency to question.

What he was investigating was whether they interfered.

Nope. The intention in his appointment was for collusion in specific and not Russian interference in general. And whether the collusion had a impact in fixing the elections.

I agree that the expectation was that results would actually impact presidency directly or his close associates if not him directly...which was a media blow up and ultimately blown up to nothing.

page1-1280px-Appointment_of_Special_Counsel_to_Investigate_Russian_Interference_with_the_2016_Presidential_Election_and_Related_Matters.pdf.jpg

He was authorized to prosecute guilty parties. Yes, he's not judge, jury and executioner...but he has powers to bring guilty parties to trial/courts. What I meant was he didn't find anything significant that could bring the Presidency to question.

Nope. The intention in his appointment was for collusion in specific and not Russian interference in general. And whether the collusion had a impact in fixing the elections.

I agree that the expectation was that results would actually impact presidency directly or his close associates if not him directly...which was a media blow up and ultimately blown up to nothing.

page1-1280px-Appointment_of_Special_Counsel_to_Investigate_Russian_Interference_with_the_2016_Presidential_Election_and_Related_Matters.pdf.jpg

In that very document it mentions the "investigation of the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the presidential election". My point was not that the central focus wasn't "collusion", but that they were never investigating whether the Russians fixed the elections. That was media hyperbole. They were investigating the extent and impact of the interference, and yes, the possible "collusion". Hence why the next paragraph mentioned what we don't know about that - I wasn't ignoring it.

Weird. You posted there over 100 times, likely entered that thread over 1,000 times, you were one of the top 25 most active posters in the thread over a period of 18 months, you quoted lots of people speculating, and yet you have no recollection of whether people were discussing criminality...in a thread about a criminal case.

This is why people are "gloating". Because people are pretending the primary focus of the speculation was barely even part of the conversation. And that all happened after Barr's memo. For obvious reasons.
I've said it already mate I'm not as invested as some of you are. I read bits, I participate, I make jokes. Then I go and live my llife... I'll take your word for it.

People speak about loads of shit in loads of threads, bit much to expect me to keep track of all of it?

Makes you wonder why Barr exaggerated in the first place (if he indeed did). There was always going to be some kind of leak if Mueller's team didn't feel that their findings were being fairly represented. And it's not like it moved the needle very much in the first place, so there's no "short-term gain" theory to lean on either. Trump's approval rating is essentially unchanged since the Barr report.

Control the message, set the narrative.

Control the message, set the narrative.

Sadly this.

It damaged CNN, MSNBC, CBS, etc hugely even in the eyes of people who hate Trump.

It also gave Trump ammo to scream NO COLLUSION and FULLY EXONERATED with credibility of sorts which couldn't be answered back.

Obviously his base won't have changed their opinions but they've now got evidence from someone they believe to be the authority that there was nothing to it so it solidifies them.

Trump won massively even though he wasn't actually exonerated and that means a lot.

I've said it already mate I'm not as invested as some of you are. I read bits, I participate, I make jokes. Then I go and live my llife... I'll take your word for it.

People speak about loads of shit in loads of threads, bit much to expect me to keep track of all of it?

It's hard to believe that someone could follow a story for 18 months and not be aware of one of the central narratives. It might be true in your case but it's very hard to believe. Particularly in the context of this thread, where you have people who were firmly invested in the criminal elements of the Russian collusion and obstruction of justice, and their response has been to...
  1. Downplay the criminal outcomes, and pretend it was all about the political outcomes
  2. Change focus to the spin off elements of the criminal investigation
  3. Refuse to accept Barr's memo as anything other than political propaganda
So yes, you were less invested in it than others, but given the people who were more invested in it have the same collective amnesia, it looks odd. Surely you can understand that.

It's hard to believe that someone could follow a story for 18 months and not be aware of one of the central narratives. It might be true in your case but it's very hard to believe. Particularly in the context of this thread, where you have people who were firmly invested in the criminal elements of the Russian collusion and obstruction of justice, and their response has been to...
  1. Downplay the criminal outcomes, and pretend it was all about the political outcomes
  2. Change focus to the spin off elements of the criminal investigation
  3. Refuse to accept Barr's memo as anything other than political propaganda
So yes, you were less invested in it than others, but given the people who were more invested in it have the same collective amnesia, it looks odd. Surely you can understand that.
We're a group of individuals... Not a block of posters who think the same. High post count/participation doesn't mean anything. You've been here long enough to know that.... Christ I have a hard enough time remembering what I promised the missus a week ago.

Remember what other posters were saying in one of the many threads I frequent on RedCafe over the course of a year plus? Come on... I could look, but like I said, not invested enough for that.

We're a group of individuals... Not a block of posters who think the same. High post count/participation doesn't mean anything. You've been here long enough to know that.... Christ I have a hard enough time remembering what I promised the missus a week ago.

Remember what other posters were saying in one of the many threads I frequent on RedCafe over the course of a year plus? Come on... I could look, but like I said, not invested enough for that.

It's not about what specific posters were saying but participating in a moving discussion that contained a core narrative. It is unusual not to be conscious of that core narrative. Not impossible, just unusual. You can't hold it against me for assuming the most likely reality!

It's not about what specific posters were saying but participating in a moving discussion that contained a core narrative. It is unusual not to be conscious of that core narrative. Not impossible, just unusual. You can't hold it against me for assuming the most likely reality!
The expectation of what could or would come out of the investigation w/r/t Trump himself, especially on the question of criminality, also changed over time.

Trump fired Sessions over his recusal on the investigation and appointed Barr, who refused to recuse himself and had publicly spoken out against the idea of prosecuting a president over an obstruction charge. That was all done specifically for a reason, no?

The expectation of what could or would come out of the investigation w/r/t Trump himself, especially on the question of criminality, also changed over time.

Trump fired Sessions over his recusal on the investigation and appointed Barr, who refused to recuse himself and had publicly spoken out against the idea of prosecuting a president over an obstruction charge. That was all done specifically for a reason, no?

Yes Trump was very open about thinking Sessions was an embarrassment for not protecting the president from the investigation. Yes Barr was moved up the list of replacements because he was viewed as being a particularly useful protector for the president on this particular issue.

None of that influenced Muller's decision to charge the president with either crime. That is the essential thing that you keep talking around rather than talking about.

Did Trump commit a crime? Muller ultimately decided...probably not. Did lots of people think Trump committed a crime, on these two core issues? Yes, there's a shitload of evidence of it. Is it reasonable to conclude that these people were wrong? Yes. Yet instead of reflecting on that they're acting like it never happened, moving onto to next Trump conspiracy. That's nuts.

Yes Trump was very open about thinking Sessions was an embarrassment for not protecting the president from the investigation. Yes Barr was moved up the list of replacements because he was viewed as being a particularly useful protector for the president on this particular issue.

None of that influenced Muller's decision to charge the president with either crime. That is the essential thing that you keep talking around rather than talking about.

Did Trump commit a crime? Muller ultimately decided...probably not. Did lots of people think Trump committed a crime, on these two core issues? Yes. Is it reasonable to conclude that these people were wrong? Yes, there's a shitload of evidence of it. Yet instead of reflecting on that they're acting like it never happened, moving onto to next Trump conspiracy. That's nuts.
You have to remember that Muller is a Republican that oversaw the rounding up of Muslims in New York and was part of the WoMD debacle. As much as people wanted him to be impartial he isn't.

Did Trump commit a crime? Muller ultimately decided...probably not. Did lots of people think Trump committed a crime, on these two core issues? Yes, there's a shitload of evidence of it. Is it reasonable to conclude that these people were wrong? Yes. Yet instead of reflecting on that they're acting like it never happened, moving onto to next Trump conspiracy. That's nuts.
It's a conversation you can't reasonably expect to hold at this point one way or the other.

Out of curiosity, what would "reflecting on that" look like? What *should* people be doing?

You have to remember that Muller is a Republican that oversaw the rounding up of Muslims in New York and was part of the WoMD debacle. As much as people wanted him to be impartial he isn't.

Literally everyone who has ever worked with him says he's a by the book guy who is as impartial as they come.

Literally everyone who has ever worked with him says he's a by the book guy who is as impartial as they come.
There was nothing straight about the WoMD debacle not this side of the pond or that side either. Anybody that was involved with it should be stained by the issue. Blair is tainted by his part in it over here. No one wants to know him now as he is damaged goods.

Within that frame though. Which means he is culpable for WMD thing where the misguided opinion of a single CIA junior analyst got presented falsely as the consensus opinion when in fact the consensus opinion of the US top nuclear experts at Oak Ridge National Lab concluded it wasn't WMD (yet both Republicans and Dems like HRC completely failed to recognize that information)

There was nothing straight about the WoMD debacle not this side of the pond or that side either. Anybody that was involved with it should be stained by the issue. Blair is tainted by his part in it over here. No one wants to know him now as he is damaged goods.

Yeah come on, all the other FBI agents who also routinely broke the law said he was fine.

Bobby "By The Book" Mueller

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/20/AR2007032000921.html

The Justice Department's inspector general told a committee of angry House members yesterday that the FBI may have violated the law or government policies as many as 3,000 times since 2003 as agents secretly collected the telephone, bank and credit card records of U.S. citizens and foreign nationals residing here.

Inspector General Glenn A. Fine said that according to the FBI's own estimate, as many as 600 of these violations could be "cases of serious misconduct" involving the improper use of "national security letters" to compel telephone companies, banks and credit institutions to produce records.

National security letters are comparable to subpoenas but are issued directly by the bureau without court review. They largely target records of transactions rather than personal documents or conversations. An FBI tally showed that the bureau made an average of 916 such requests each week from 2003 to 2005, but Fine told the House Judiciary Committee that FBI recordkeeping has been chaotic and "significantly understates" the actual use of that tool.

Fine, amplifying the criticisms he made in a March 9 report, attributed the FBI's "troubling" abuse of the letters to "mistakes, carelessness, confusion, sloppiness, lack of training, lack of adequate guidance and lack of adequate oversight."

https://www.eff.org/wp/patterns-misconduct-fbi-intelligence-violations

• From 2001 to 2008, the FBI reported to the IOB approximately 800 violations of laws, Executive Orders, or other regulations governing intelligence investigations, although this number likely significantly under-represents the number of violations that actually occurred.
  • From 2001 to 2008, the FBI investigated, at minimum, 7000 potential violations of laws, Executive Orders, or other regulations governing intelligence investigations.
  • Based on the proportion of violations reported to the IOB and the FBI’s own statements regarding the number of NSL violations that occurred, the actual number of violations that may have occurred from 2001 to 2008 could approach , Executive Order, or other regulations governing intelligence investigations.
  • From 2001 to 2008, the FBI engaged in a number of flagrant legal violations, including:
    • submitting false or inaccurate declarations to courts.
    • using improper evidence to obtain federal grand jury subpoenas.
    • accessing password protected documents without a warrant.
The FBI's systemic abuse of NSLs has been well-documented — both by Justice Department investigations and through litigation and scrutiny of FBI practices by EFF. As noted above, in reports from 2007 and 2008, the Inspector General found that, between 2003 to 2006, the FBI may have committed as many as 6,400 violations of the FBI’s NSL authority

From 2001 to 2008, the FBI frequently and flagrantly violated laws intended to check abusive intelligence investigations of American citizens.

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/assets/unleashed-and-unaccountable-fbi-report.pdf

A 2007 Inspector General audit revealed that from 2003 through 2005 the FBI issued over 140,000 National Security Letters — secret demands for certain account information from telecommunications companies, financial institutions, and credit agencies that require no judicial approval — almost half of which targeted Americans. It found:

The FBI so negligently managed this Patriot Act authority it did not even know how many National Security Letters it had issued, which resulted in three years of false reporting to Congress; 23
• FBI agents repeatedly ignored or confused the requirements of the authorizing statutes and used National Security Letters to collect private information about individuals two or three times removed from the actual subjects of FBI investigations; 7
• Sixty percent of the audited files did not have the required supporting documentation, and 22 percent contained at least one unreported legal violation; 24
FBI supervisors circumvented the law by using control files to improperly issue National Security Letters when no authorizing investigation existed.25

• The FBI was increasingly using National Security Letters to gather information on U.S. persons (57 percent in 2006, up from 53 percent in 2005); 27
High-ranking FBI officials improperly issued eleven “blanket National Security Letters” in 2006 seeking data on 3,860 telephone numbers, in an effort to hide that the data had been illegally collected with “exigent letters” (see below); 28 and
None of the “blanket National Security Letters” complied with FBI policy, and several imposed unlawful non-disclosure requirements, or “gag orders,” on National Security Letter recipients

Attempting to assuage concerns that the FBI would misuse this expanded authority by targeting First Amendment-protected activity, FBI Director Robert Mueller said in 2002 that the FBI had no plans to infiltrate mosques.53 Nonetheless, in the ensuing years there was a sharp increase in the FBI's controversial use of informants as agents provocateur in mosques and other Muslim community organizations.5

The FBI response revealed that FBI terrorism investigators from a variety of different field offices had collected information about peaceful political activity of environmental activists, peace advocates, and faith-based groups that had nothing to do with terrorism.

For example, a Detroit FBI field office memorandum entitled “Detroit Domain Management” asserts that “because Michigan has a large Middle-Eastern and Muslim population, it is prime territory for attempted radicalization and recruitment” by State Department-designated terrorist groups that originate in the Middle East and Southeast Asia. 92 Based on this unsubstantiated assertion of a potential threat of recruitment by terrorist groups on the other side of the world, the Detroit FBI opened a “domain assessment” to collect and map information on all Muslims and people of Middle-Eastern descent in Michigan, treating all of them as suspect based on nothing more than their race, religion, and national origin.

During the FBI’s relentless investigation of the 2001 anthrax attacks, for instance, The New York Times reported that several people falling under suspicion lost jobs, were placed on watch lists, had citizenship and visa applications denied, and personal relationships destroyed.99 The FBI publicly hounded bioterrorism researcher Steven Hatfill for over a year, following him so closely with up to eight FBI surveillance cars that one of them once ran over his foot.100 FBI officials later acknowledged Hatfill was completely innocent, and the Justice Department paid him $4.6 million in damages. The FBI then turned its sites on another researcher, Bruce Ivins, who suffered a mental breakdown and committed suicide.

When Congress debated the first Patriot Act reauthorization in April 2005, FBI Director Robert Mueller testified that he was unaware of any “substantiated” allegations of abuse of Patriot Act authorities.199 The 2007 IG audit later revealed the FBI self-reported 19 Patriot Act-related violations of law or policy to the Intelligence Oversight Board between 2003 and 2005.

According to a 2010 IG report, after ACLU FOIA requests exposed inappropriate FBI spying on a Pittsburgh anti-war rally in 2006, unidentified FBI officials concocted a false story claiming the surveillance was an attempt to identify a person related to a validly-approved terrorism investigation who they believed would attend the rally, not an effort to monitor the activities of the anti-war group. 211 The FBI presented this false story to the public in press releases and to Congress through testimony by Director Mueller. When Sen. Leahy requested documentation regarding the FBI’s investigation, this false story fell apart because there was no relevant Pittsburgh terrorism investigation. FBI officials then developed a second false story that circulated internally and ultimately sent to Congress a statement for the record that claimed documents couldn’t be provided because the investigation was ongoing. When the IG investigated the matter, the FBI failed to provide internal e-mails that may have identified who in the FBI concocted these false stories.212

A 2006 FBI intelligence report called “Radicalization: From Conversion to Jihad” asserts that “indicators” that a person is progressing on a path to becoming a terrorist include: • Wearing traditional Muslim attire • Growing facial hair • Frequent attendance at a mosque or prayer group • Travel to a Muslim country • Increased activity in a pro-Muslim social group or cause • Proselytizing

More troubling, however, are incidents in which the FBI targeted activists with armed raids. In September 2010, dozens of FBI agents conducted simultaneous raids on peace and labor activists’ homes and offices in Chicago, Minneapolis, and Grand Rapids, Mich., seizing documents, computers, and cell phones.265 An FBI spokesman said the searches were part of a Joint Terrorism Task Force investigation “into activities concerning the material support of terrorism,” but there was no “imminent danger” to the public. The FBI also served fourteen of the activists with subpoenas commanding their appearance before a grand jury in Chicago. One activist’s bank account was frozen. More than three years later, none of the activists has been charged with a crime, raising troubling questions about whether these aggressive raids were necessary or justified.